What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are we going to have the 16oz cup contest

Are we going to have the 16oz cup contest

• Seeds only

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Clone only

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Seed and Clone sub catagorys in same contest

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
lol you can't be serious...who said that people have to buy seeds? If you will check the thread
then you will notice that every individual will participate with existing seeds.

Chill down and if you think that you need to start another 160z cup thread, feel free to do so but stop the nonsense.

Well of course I wasn't serious. Entirely...

But this thread began as a poll asking if members would like to participate in a contest and if they preferred seeds, clones, or seed and clone categories in the same contest.
Since 30 of 35 members indicated that they welcomed clones or either I think that most of us rather expected this thread to progress in a slightly different direction.

Anyway I reckon that there are plenty of us interested in a beer cup clone contest so I guess I'll start putting something together.

LetsSeeYa

We need a start date for everyone to drop a seed in a cup. If its a contest, someone put a start date, update and should be on ''stress test'' as i think he started this, sorry if im wrong, i have read it all, but got lost with all the crap building up.

Its for fun right? Lets play peeps, iv been wanting to try this for a long time, not that i think i can win, but just for fun my friends. Its a great idea and i cant wait.

We all need to plant/germ on the same day and go for 30-60 days? Winner is set up by voting on winner, this should make it far or just tallest.

First timer here so just tossing some stuff out, cant wait till we start, thanks for the idea!

LSY

Stress_test

Veteran
We need a start date for everyone to drop a seed in a cup. If its a contest, someone put a start date, update and should be on ''stress test'' as i think he started this, sorry if im wrong, i have read it all, but got lost with all the crap building up.

Its for fun right? Lets play peeps, iv been wanting to try this for a long time, not that i think i can win, but just for fun my friends. Its a great idea and i cant wait.

We all need to plant/germ on the same day and go for 30-60 days? Winner is set up by voting on winner, this should make it far or just tallest.

First timer here so just tossing some stuff out, cant wait till we start, thanks for the idea!

LSY

Naw Bro it wasn't I who started this, but they have laid out the rules and everything in another thread if you are running seeds.

I just can't participate in a seed contest. I have a set number of plants and when I bust a seed then I usually turn it into a momma plant. Flowering one plant and wasting a few prime female seeds just doesn't work in my setup. You can't just germinate a single seed, it just don't work that way.
On the other hand, a clone can be set into a box and grown out whereas seeds must be sexed so to guarantee a female one must usually start more.

Anyway good luck, here is the official Beer Cup Seed Grow thread:

Ok EVERYONE the time has arrived! This will be a first in a series of Beer Cup Challenges. You all have been very patient waiting on ME. Thank You ALL for that! I am back to growing now. So, hats off to all of you..........
thank%20you.gif
:tiphat:
Starting date Sept 25th 2011 this is the day to start the seeds.

Now the rules of the game will be

1. From seed only. No autos.
2. 16 oz. beer cup. Color is of your choice but not to exceed 16 oz.
3. Indica or Sativa or a cross of your choice.
4. Roots cannot extend past the bottom of the cup.
5. 4 week veg time. 120 days to the T.
6. Any medium you feel comfortable with.
7. Everyone will post weekly pictures of their plants.
8. When the time limit is finished we will have a vote similar to the Bud of the month contest.

If there is anything I have missed let me know and it will be added.

So, lets get this going and post up the strains and descriptions of the genetics you are growing. If you vary from the rules you could be disqualified. Keep it clean and honest and have a great time.

V

Duplicate

What about a cup challenge that never ends? It would just be the ICMag's Beer Cup World Record thread. All you do is post your grow meeting whatever requirements for the thread and your plants and try and beat the current ICMag's Beer Cup World Record holder.

Some champs may last weeks, some months, and some, maybe years.

V

vonforne

Screw that! This thread ain't being replaced with that other lame thread...
This thread was fine and now that other thread is there but that one is just about growin seeds in beer cups. It kinda lends the idea that it isn't about growing weed in beer cups at all, and is a tactic to get people to buy a bunch more seeds from seed companies. Which is all fine but I would rather focus on ways to grow more weed in smaller containers, rather than which seed companies sells more seeds.

Seeds won't grow as nicely as clones will in beer cups because plants started from seeds will fill the cup with roots faster, root bind, and force flower sooner. Where as clones can be cut larger to begin with and have a much larger plant before the roots out grow the cup and force finish.

We had this idea long before you started your thread. Check the dates.

It is no tactic to sell seeds.

I could of had my shot glass grow thread but thought it would be easier in beer cups.

If you don´t like that is too bad. We will play our little game and not post in your thread and I would appreciate it if you kept you negative comments to yourself.

V

Stress_test

Veteran
We had this idea long before you started your thread. Check the dates.

It is no tactic to sell seeds.

I could of had my shot glass grow thread but thought it would be easier in beer cups.

If you don´t like that is too bad. We will play our little game and not post in your thread and I would appreciate it if you kept you negative comments to yourself.

V

Damn! How many times have I said that "it wasn't me who started the thread? It was Headband1 I believe who started the thread to determine how many members were interested...

I merely expressed my disappointment that the poll was ignored and the challenge wouldn't include a category for clones as are 30 of the 35 members who expressed interest.

Typically it goes against my grain to dispute or argue with a moderator so I will let you be right because moderators don't always have the time to read the entire thread in full context.:comfort:

V

vonforne

Damn! How many times have I said that "it wasn't me who started the thread? It was Headband1 I believe who started the thread to determine how many members were interested...

I merely expressed my disappointment that the poll was ignored and the challenge wouldn't include a category for clones as are 30 of the 35 members who expressed interest.

Typically it goes against my grain to dispute or argue with a moderator so I will let you be right because moderators don't always have the time to read the entire thread in full context.:comfort:

That was a little harsh. Sorry but it was a quick moment. :tiphat:

We had talked about this in May but I was moving at the time so the other members waited for me to start. It is something to do that is fun and involves everyone on an equal level with out being Mods and members.

Everyone is just a member in this game. Even me.

:wave:

V

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
V

sorry, whens the start date again?

also, I am understanding this is not about yield? it's about the coolest plant?

marmarb

Okay so when are we staring I've got 39 4 day old seedlings in 16 oz cups at this very moment autos and traditional strains so I'm ready to post

supermanlives

Veteran
i might be quitting . even tho this run are smaller they keep falling over . and i got other projects. maybe i will try an keep just a couple. hmmm

V

vonforne

V

sorry, whens the start date again?

also, I am understanding this is not about yield? it's about the coolest plant?

We started last Sunday but you can jump in at any time with new seeds. Just dont exceed the 120 day limit. It is about the best looking plant at the end. Just like the Bud of the Month contest.

V

supermanlives

Veteran
i think i will try the 2 lanky ones that otherwise would be culled. the real ones is still tiny. lol

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
dunno even if we finished with the 2012 one. I'll contact von and come back with updates. :wave: