What's new

ANYTHING OUTDOOR 2022 EVERYWHERE

Great outdoors

for May plants, I find them incredible. if I understand correctly this is due to the homemade nutrients you give them, plus a lot of love?
what do you recommend for me for very poor dry and powdery soil even after plowing?
Lots of love to the soil fall and spring, but very little care during the actual grow season. I water once every 4 days, less early season, and that's about it except maybe the odd light dose of fish hydroslate or liquid kelp.
But in the fall, I will throw more compost, silt, a nitrogen source, typically soybean and alfalfa meal, some wood ash and fresh mulch, wood chips on top.
Same sort of thing in the spring plus some fish bone meal and bat guano for phosphorus. Lots and lots of fresh compost.
As you can see from the pictures I don't even pull weeds, may cut or bend back ones for light, but no pulling. Natural companion plants.

For what it sounds like really sandy soil I would suggest you dig out a big pit this fall. The bigger the better, bigger roots, bigger plant, plain and simple. Fill the bottom of the hole with big chunks of rotting logs. Mix 50% fresh local compost with your previous dirt, wood chips, biochar, (make your own) and your own blend of organic amendments. What you can find locally for free or cheap is always best. I am blessed that I live in a volcanic glacier river fed valley. Most of my amendments are free.
Future years just keep adding more organic material on top, as well as silt or rock dust if you can get your hands on it. Sandy soil just doesn't hold nutrients or life well so you need to add as much organic material/ carbon to your soil that you can.
Never dig up your roots in future years, they are adding carbon deep in the soil and only makes your soil get better and better as years go on.

MrBreeze911

Lots of love to the soil fall and spring, but very little care during the actual grow season. I water once every 4 days, less early season, and that's about it except maybe the odd light dose of fish hydroslate or liquid kelp.
But in the fall, I will throw more compost, silt, a nitrogen source, typically soybean and alfalfa meal, some wood ash and fresh mulch, wood chips on top.
Same sort of thing in the spring plus some fish bone meal and bat guano for phosphorus. Lots and lots of fresh compost.
As you can see from the pictures I don't even pull weeds, may cut or bend back ones for light, but no pulling. Natural companion plants.

For what it sounds like really sandy soil I would suggest you dig out a big pit this fall. The bigger the better, bigger roots, bigger plant, plain and simple. Fill the bottom of the hole with big chunks of rotting logs. Mix 50% fresh local compost with your previous dirt, wood chips, biochar, (make your own) and your own blend of organic amendments. What you can find locally for free or cheap is always best. I am blessed that I live in a volcanic glacier river fed valley. Most of my amendments are free.
Future years just keep adding more organic material on top, as well as silt or rock dust if you can get your hands on it. Sandy soil just doesn't hold nutrients or life well so you need to add as much organic material/ carbon to your soil that you can.
Never dig up your roots in future years, they are adding carbon deep in the soil and only makes your soil get better and better as years go on.
What about clay heavy rocky soil that is dusty?

Hashislife

Thanks you so much for your detailed explication, go to help me so much for the next year 😁😉:plant grow:

Great outdoors

What about clay heavy rocky soil that is dusty?
Can't say exactly without seeing your soil myself. But what you are shooting for is a rich loam. 25% sand, 25% silt and 50% organic material. Carbon is your ultimate friend.
A good 20 to 30cm of wood chips on top over time will also do wonders. You see the results over years, but they are impressive. You can speed up the process by throwing a nitrogen source on top of them. Manures, soybean meal.

Radicle Rye

Northern Lights #1 - This Afghani, once it starts flowering, stacks quick!
IMG_1573[1].JPG

laszlokovacs

No I always start my seeds outdoors ( germinated anyways) and this year I was late. Started germinating seeds around April 26 or something, might have been May 1....

They are grown organically in 10yr no till big mounds. They became mounds from holes with the addition of organic material and silt each year on top of the old wood chips. All the root room in the world with good areation with the mound being exposed.
I have grown for decades and my days of off the shelf fertilizer I could never grow the size plants I can organically.
I think I germinated my seeds around then indoors- yours are definitely nicer :). When you say you start them outdoors are you direct sowing seeds in the mounds at that time?

MrBreeze911

Just 5 gal buckets with some 1/2" drain holes drilled in them. Decent potting soil, feed dry maxi bloom. Will get hit with dry Kool bloom last 2 weeks
I have some clones in 30 gal pots that didn't get close to that big, but maybe I don't water often enough...

Great outdoors

I think I germinated my seeds around then indoors- yours are definitely nicer :). When you say you start them outdoors are you direct sowing seeds in the mounds at that time?
I will germinate paper towel method inside my house. Then they go in peat pots on my deck with the same soil as the mounds for a couple weeks. Then once I pick which plants I am going to run I plant the peat pot in the mound. Typically within 2 to 3 weeks from germination.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I have some clones in 30 gal pots that didn't get close to that big, but maybe I don't water often enough...
I start them indoors for about 3weeks. So when they went outside they already had a solid root system in 6" pot, and they were all about 10-12 inches tall. Also in these 5 gal pots they are each getting watered 1 or 2 times a day with 2gals each watering.

But genetics play a big part in how tall an wide they will get. Next year I plan to run my lemonade smelling plant in 10 or 15 gal bags. I want to start a little earlier an try to have the clones around 2ft before they go outside. Hope to get them to around 10ft tall. Of course this is with the hopes one of the clones I took from her roots, to become a mother plant.

MrBreeze911

Can't say exactly without seeing your soil myself. But what you are shooting for is a rich loam. 25% sand, 25% silt and 50% organic material. Carbon is your ultimate friend.
A good 20 to 30cm of wood chips on top over time will also do wonders. You see the results over years, but they are impressive. You can speed up the process by throwing a nitrogen source on top of them. Manures, soybean meal.

I start them indoors for about 3weeks. So when they went outside they already had a solid root system in 6" pot, and they were all about 10-12 inches tall. Also in these 5 gal pots they are each getting watered 1 or 2 times a day with 2gals each watering.

But genetics play a big part in how tall an wide they will get. Next year I plan to run my lemonade smelling plant in 10 or 15 gal bags. I want to start a little earlier an try to have the clones around 2ft before they go outside. Hope to get them to around 10ft tall. Of course this is with the hopes one of the clones I took from her roots, to become a mother plant.
This is amazing and I had no idea this was possible!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Radical Rye, its amazing how fast they stack. These are ready to smoke now. Back in high school, my friend's dad grew herb and told him you could harvest in any month ending in "R". :smoke:

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
What should I do now?
There are safe to use pesticides to kill them. Depending on how long they have left you could harvest early or soak them. Id personally defoliate as many fan leaves as possible then soak the plants in a safe pesticide.

Latest posts

Latest posts