What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

Dankwolf

Yea no doubt I've studied growing cannabis for at least 20yrs....from overgrow, to icmag Jorge's books. I've loved the learning and studying of this plant.....I basically know ever word on every page of those grow bibles. I respect the study and time researching what I can tell is everything you do every step. Your grows definatly show...,I know your not 100% happy this yr but still your in the top of any grower out here friend. So your research says around 1400gal it started to get into negatives...so your probably not gonna try anything much over the 2000gal are you? I was gonna ask you were you got into having to much soil that really wasn't helping, but you answered that. I'll tell you 10-20lb plants that's some growing brother nobody can dispute that lol. Back when I was doing big indoor grows it was believed that a deeper garbage can type pot was the best....people were saying the roots went straight down deep and narrow. I was really amazed that these 36in deep huge round pool type containers were the way to go. We used to do the elevated potting method and stuff like that 10+yrs ago....as like I said guys thought the deep containers were better. It's obvious that the containers like you guys have really proved that theory wrong. So your roots seem to spread straight out around 28in??? I've read a lot about this since I got back on the forums....ya know trying to catch up on some knowledge I've missed out on while I took my break from growing. It's really nice to see a grower that's really likes learning/studying cannabis growing....it used to be my favorite hobby, I'm picking back up since I got back on the forums. I love studying and learning too. I've always said it doesn't matter if you've grew 15yrs or 30yrs you'll see something you don't know or somebody doing things a better way or learn something....at least something to experiment with sometimes even once you have a routine set in stone.

I have no plans to ever make/run over 10 yard potters . Even if they get root bound i can bottle feed fertalizer to correct any issue .

As far as what i saw in person with various strains and have had backed up by many vary reputable people is that a cannibis plants roots will not go down any more then 28" inches( clone or seed).

how far will roots grow out i am not sure . I cant find any reputable data to show any kind of idea. I can tell you last year my potters were 7 ft wide by 3ft deep and there where no roots past 28 inches deep. But roots were bound on my bigist plant length wise (12 unit plant ) here is a few pics of that plant .hope this ansewrs your qestions .

Dday391

This year is really shaping up lol. Only 1 of 4 regular seeds is male. I'm very glad it seems to be worth saving some pollen from as well. Of the 4 gsc I put out the male and one female have pretty much been spared any leaf munching. All my plants are in the same general area so I feel like these two have good natural defenses. I'm also glad my tallest plant is a female. It's gonna be an exciting fall. Also I have a question. What kind of bug would leave a clear sticky goo? Is that slugs? I am not sure because it's on the one with no leaf damage and I thought there would definitely be damage if it is a slug. Plus the only area with the goo was 80%up the plant and no where else? It doesn't make sense but I'm glad they are all still doing good. Glad to see everyone's year is going well. Not too long now

Dankwolf

Those orchard trees are looking impressive, really healthy. Do you think you're getting some of the increased performance out of the wider & flatter containers like you thought you might?

I did a comperson photo of last years plants (potters 7ft wide by 3 ft deep) vs this years plants ( 11ft wide by 2.5 ft deep) . Its in my thread

" 2018 central oregon outdoor "

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Another nearly full moon night I got to spend out in the woods. I love how the moonlight creates an awesome silhouette against the plants. So far everything is going as planned. The tallest plant is around 7 feet tall with the shortest being closer to 4 and a half. No sign of sex yet but I expect them to reveal in the first or second week of August based on past experience.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I mix 2tbsp the d Earth into a gallon of water and spray the plants with it, it leaves a fine powder layer behind when the spray dries. Then put a nice dry dusting over the top soil and on base of stalk.

I have a heavy duty sprayer that wont clog, i usually mix my neem oil in at the same time to spray.

-TheShortTexan-

Another nearly full moon night I got to spend out in the woods. I love how the moonlight creates an awesome silhouette against the plants. So far everything is going as planned. The tallest plant is around 7 feet tall with the shortest being closer to 4 and a half. No sign of sex yet but I expect them to reveal in the first or second week of August based on past experience.

This is what I call a beautiful mental picture

Metatron

1st outdoor

1st outdoor

1st season outdoor, used smart pots with Roots Organics Greenfields, amended with CC's 3 part recipe. ACT as needed

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Looking nice guys, I've used the neem 3-1 fungicide stuff and I've mixed up the diamouctoceas earth prolly a lil weak than Ibechillin because my plants were very small.

My lil step daughter seen a fuckin deer in the front yard...I looked out and it was a good size buck. I've been waiting for the rain to stop to spray some deer repellent lol. After that deer ran off I went straight for the spray. I've been camouflaging my containers and area/path some today. Also done some tying down on some of my Cristal Limit fems & some other smaller plants. I accidentally supercropped a plant but I think it'll be ok. I also fertilized about half my plants before it got dark. I've been feeding more of a Veg and finally turned up the Bloom some. I've got some more camo-in to do tomorrow.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking great, Metatron, especially being a first year grow! You could still transplant into a bigger container and yield a little more. Probably trying to not be to conspicuous. More root mass means more flower production!

Glad to hear the garden is doing well, justsometomatoes! 7 ft is a pretty big plant! I've been out in the moonlight lately after working on the herb plot. Its pretty intense on these clear summer nights. My dog must have thought it was day because he took forever coming back when it was really clear and bright a couple days ago. The sun is so bright, it reflects off the moon and still gives us a good shadow! Pretty amazing how bright it is! Moonlighting it, its cooler that time of day anyway!

Glad to hear you are getting them fertilzed wvkindbud! Its better to be ahead of it, so the plants have time to use it. I wasn't going to feed today, but I went to the plant farm to get weed eater string. I was looking for repellents and saw the happy frog. Looks like a great product and I've never tried it. It has bat guano and mycorrhizae. Thought in my mind, its time to feed, lets put it on today. I was going to check on the plot anyway! Love being on time!

Top of the big female

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Metatron

Looking great, Metatron, especially being a first year grow! You could still transplant into a bigger container and yield a little more. Probably trying to not be to conspicuous. More root mass means more flower production!

Top of the big female

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Your girls are so lush, something to aim for next year. These are 7 gallons, my original plan was 5 but opted bigger. I wanted something "small" so it was easy to manage for my first year. Can't wait for harvest.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Your girls are so lush, something to aim for next year. These are 7 gallons, my original plan was 5 but opted bigger. I wanted something "small" so it was easy to manage for my first year. Can't wait for harvest.

Those 7gal are good size containers.....I put some small plants I didn't have enough big containers for into 5gal buckets. There's plenty of time to transplant into something bigger if you want/need to, here in the Appalachias were still putting plants in the ground and transplanting. Just last wk I put a few plants in the ground and they've probably doubled in size maybe triple. I'd love to use the huge HUGE 500-2000gal containers like the Cali Ore boys but I can't hide stuff like that around here lol. Not sure your lat but I've only got a few plants really showing sex and we got a good 2-3mths left to grow around here I wouldn't think twice about transplanting with all this time left to grow.

Pipeline I've used Ocean Forest at least 14-15yrs indoors and it's probably the best soil out there....at least one of the best. I used Happy Frog a few times indoors also and it's definatly gonna be good outdoors. It's expensive but if you could mix it with native soil to make it go farther maybe.

Yea I usually fertilize my container plants at least twice a wk....really haven't had to flush as the rains have took care of that. I got slow release fert in my guerilla spots I'd like to get up there and and some extra ferts to those.:tiphat:

-TheShortTexan-

Those 7gal are good size containers.....I put some small plants I didn't have enough big containers for into 5gal buckets. There's plenty of time to transplant into something bigger if you want/need to, here in the Appalachias were still putting plants in the ground and transplanting. Just last wk I put a few plants in the ground and they've probably doubled in size maybe triple. I'd love to use the huge HUGE 500-2000gal containers like the Cali Ore boys but I can't hide stuff like that around here lol. Not sure your lat but I've only got a few plants really showing sex and we got a good 2-3mths left to grow around here I wouldn't think twice about transplanting with all this time left to grow.

Pipeline I've used Ocean Forest at least 14-15yrs indoors and it's probably the best soil out there....at least one of the best. I used Happy Frog a few times indoors also and it's definatly gonna be good outdoors. It's expensive but if you could mix it with native soil to make it go farther maybe.

Yea I usually fertilize my container plants at least twice a wk....really haven't had to flush as the rains have took care of that. I got slow release fert in my guerilla spots I'd like to get up there and and some extra ferts to those.:tiphat:
When I see people talking about 500-2000 gallon containers on here... I am reminded that I am out of my league

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
When I see people talking about 500-2000 gallon containers on here... I am reminded that I am out of my league

Lol don't feel bad myself included. I want to do some 60+gal containers but I only got up to some 35gal this yr. I'm gonna do some things this winter so I can hide at least a few 100gal containers. If I could hide those bigger containers and sneak all that soil to my grow. If somebody saw a truck load of soil in my town lol.....everybody in the county would know what I was doing. These guys with the legal grows are lucky, at least the growing side if things. Yea I know the price of weed is a lot less but the risk of jail I think should offset. :tiphat:

Hey could some of my Appalachian mtn guys help me out? Wvkind buds and mountain buds I know you guys for sure and anybody else out there who may know! I’m wanting to top dress all of my plants with oh about a 1/2 cup of epsom salt along with a cup of bone meal and a 1/2 cup of slow release fertilizer. My only big concern is that I have always stayed away from organic’s because the deer are everywhere around here and they have ate I couldn’t tell you how many seedlings over the years. I have never had problems with them messing with larger plants tho. My question is do you think the deer will eat and dig in the dirt and destroy my roots if I too dress with epsom salt?
P.S I’ve tried uploading pictures but still haven’t figured it out!
Everybody’s babies are looking awesome though!!!

Oh and I know what you guys are saying! It would be awesome to have huge containers right in the back yard haha! Pretty exciting for me tho is that I went crazy and snuck a 400 gallon pot out to guerilla spot this year! :dance013:

-TheShortTexan-

Oh and I know what you guys are saying! It would be awesome to have huge containers right in the back yard haha! Pretty exciting for me tho is that I went crazy and snuck a 400 gallon pot out to guerilla spot this year! :dance013:

Wow 400 gallon... how big will the root balls actually get???

-TheShortTexan-

I'm having a lot of trouble with my signature showing up on my posts. It's only there like a tenth of the time. Pissing me off. Posted in the support section. No help

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Wow 400 gallon... how big will the root balls actually get???

Root ball size and shape is a genetic trait. Some strains grow huge above soil with small root balls, while others can fully root into given soil and not grow very large above ground.

The top link in my signature has alot of information on root systems and growth habits if you would like to learn more.

Lol ironically my signature didnt show up for some reason...i think its because i hit quick reply instead of go advanced, when i went to edit my quick reply the show signature box was unchecked already. Oddly under the additional options section of advanced edit the save changes and preview changes buttons arent working.

here is the link:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344347

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts