What's new

Ahmar F1 : 60s Panama Red x Chefchaouen 'Sativa' Hashplant

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im curious as to where this reference is from?

Lovely plant btw!

Well thats the first I ever here of that. Although I am definetely aware that there is a definite undercurrent of Arab and Middle Eastern immigration as old as the conquista in Colombia.

Any chance I could bother you for a more precise reference from Clarkes book?

TIA!
MINOR PRODUCTION AREAS

Hashish has been made in small amounts nearly everywhere that drug-Cannabis grows. Hashish occasionally appears from Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America, and parts of Asia where there are no traditions of hashish manufacture.

Small amounts of sieved hashish have been manufactured in Senegal in West Africa under the supervision of European hashish aficionados, but Senegalese hashish has never entered into the trade. Both hand-rubbed and sieved hashish are produced in small amounts in the Durban, Transkei, Lesotho, and Swaziland regions of South Africa. The Indian community has a long history in South Africa and it is likely that they make and consume most of the South African hashish.

Jamaica produces small amounts of hand-rubbed hashish as well as reconstituted imitation hashish made from powdered leaf and marijuana oil. In 1984, the Canadian Drug Enforcement Directorate estimated that 5 percent of the hashish, and 88 percent of the hashish oil seized in Canada originated in Jamaica (Stamler et al. 1985). Hashish was also produced in small amounts in Mexico and Colombia. Both these countries produced huge quantities of marijuana during the 1970s and 1980s and, quite naturally, a few of the smugglers would have attempted to make sieved hashish. The highest qualities were made from Michuacan and Oaxacan marijuana from Mexico.

During the 1970s, small balls of yellow, powdery hashish made from Mexican Cannabis occasionally would circulate amongst the Mexico-to-California marijuana smugglers. These pieces were much like Lebanese or Moroccan in color and texture. After large shipments of very dry marijuana were broken down into smaller parcels, the resin powder was swept up from the floor and sieved. The powder was placed in a piece of cloth and pressed by twisting the ends of the cloth, tightening and agglomerating the powder into a cohesive ball of hashish.

Around 1976, Afghani seeds and Afghan farmers to tend them were brought to the Llanos region of Colombia. Hashish was made from the Afghani variety by the hand-rubbed method through at least 1980. The resins were hand-rubbed rather than sieved by the traditional Afghan method because the Llanos region is too humid for sieving to work well. Apparently, some of the Colombian hashish was very good, but most Colombian hashish that reached North America was made from powdered marijuana mixed with marijuana oil. It was of very low quality.

In 1975, small amounts of hand-rubbed hashish, purportedly from South Korea, reached the United States (High Times, Vol. 6,1975).
In the preface he writes

My information comes from many sources: I consulted explorers, travelers, scientists, and followers of the Hippie Hashish Trail, which went from Tangiers and Ibiza to Istanbul through Iran to Afghanistan, and on to Goa, Delhi, and Katmandu.

My conclusions are based on historical accounts, counterculture books, and scientific journals, combined with extensive personal travels, interviews, and experiments. Given the illegality of hashish-related activities, some sources understandably hesitated to go on record. On occasion, readers are asked to accept certain information as fact without citation.

Post #5100 by @goingrey ...Tom Hill Haze thread :)

island_organics

Im curious as to where this reference is from?

Lovely plant btw!
It’s from this book
CC5C1D71-90FB-4D47-A630-282FDDD6B6F8.jpeg

island_organics

So the smallest plant is now a confirmed female and also one of the taller plants that i thought could be male is showing stigmas so that makes three females and two males. Nice result.
I’ve started flowering the males so i can collect the pollen well before any of the girls are in bloom.
48176835-329F-46E7-A3D4-1A9070468CA8.jpeg
6011208F-33A4-4CF1-A700-3F0AAE91826E.jpeg
EE349490-40CA-44CF-9594-DD3E1828EFAE.jpeg

The males.
3B6F83AC-EC63-4BCC-88A4-9605A5CA22B3.jpeg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey @island_organics that's great news for the thread - 3 girls, and 2 males is good for your pollinations so we all happy :)
They look like they are enjoying your climate!
All looking pretty similar from the pics but the transition into flower might throw up some more obvious variations.

Yesterday i pollinated some branches on the new F1s with pollen from the new males as well as the original 3 males. I also dusted branches on the original 2 girls with the new pollen.. so hopefully all bases covered there.

on we go...
VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m a little late to the party but what a great way to spend the morning reading through this thread. I’m always on the lookout for a strain that can help with pain relief. Great story.. great thread.. thanks!
Hi there, thanks for the support! - i'm really enjoying exploring these so far and i'm excited to see the 3 more girls mature over the coming weeks.

The advance batch of F2s from the original 2 girls (red5 and purp4) are now up at seedbay. I put 12 seeds per pack.

island_organics

Hey @island_organics that's great news for the thread - 3 girls, and 2 males is good for your pollinations so we all happy :)
All looking pretty similar from the pics but the transition into flower might throw up some more obvious variations.

Yesterday i pollinated some branches on the new F1s with pollen from the new males as well as the original 3 males. I also dusted branches on the original 2 girls with the new pollen.. so hopefully all bases covered there.

on we go...
Yes it’s a nice ratio to play with, and i think we’ll definitely see some differences appear during flowering. The taller girl has a more branched morphology than the others and a slightly narrower leaf, so i can see her expressing more ‘sativa’ traits in bloom.

It’s very hot here now as usual at this time of year so they’ll feel at home in this climate, and they’ll be transplanted tonight so we will see some rapid growth once the roots dig into the new soil.

Redrum92

on we go...

Are you trying to preserve the genetics, keep as much as possible, or are you selecting for anything as you go through F3, F4, etc?

Also, curious about the Bubba cross- did you use the pre98 cut, or one of your S1s? Assuming it was hit with F1 ahmar male pollen?

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you trying to preserve the genetics, keep as much as possible, or are you selecting for anything as you go through F3, F4, etc?

Also, curious about the Bubba cross- did you use the pre98 cut, or one of your S1s? Assuming it was hit with F1 ahmar male pollen?
hi, at this stage it's preserving the genetics, so unless there are obvious faults then i will use all the plants and get as many m/f combinations as possible... then the genetics are there to potentially select for or against in future.

The bubba cross is to the pre-98 clone, ()although in theory an S1 would be more likely than the cut to breed true for any specific trait so i have been wanting to do a big selection of S1s to find a breeding S1 at some point in the future.. but i digress.)
I hit it with pollen from all 3 of the F1 males i found in the first round, same ones that dusted the seed mums of @island_organics F2s :)

island_organics

stunning pics @island_organics , especially the ones from today. i love the way the lower leaves are still in full sun , catching the rays coming through the gaps in the leaflets on those top leaves! - that tells a story !
They are very photogenic! Also growing rapidly after the transplant and showing nice branching, especially the taller one. Should be interesting to see how they develop during the stretch.
A497FE70-36F3-4A69-9F16-8AD8375D7933.jpeg
95030B70-C573-4193-B709-5BF438136E71.jpeg
1E7E8361-2DB1-4735-A509-D13998279280.jpeg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All looking great @island_organics , i can see BIG leaves and some variation in play as well now. The F1s had a fairly quick flowering response to reduced day length.... when do plants generally start flowering at your lattitude?
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, here are the 3 female F1 plants from the second round of germination. None of these have turned very red, but for that matter, neither has Red 5 ! - these plants have been grown in heatwave conditions and i run always run my lights at night, so there is very little change in temp from day/night and also there is very low humidity, which i think is also a factor... Panama being mainly coastal and wet afaik.
They have been a little compromised by pollinations but ive managed to keep a bud or two mostly free from seeds. I look forward to running these again in more normal conditions, but at least i should have a good number of F2 seeds (fingers crossed)
Plant 7 (all at 5-6 weeks):
ahm75-6pl.jpg
ahm7nug5-6.jpg

Plant 8
Ahmar85-6l.jpg
Ahmar8nug5-6.jpg

Plant 9
ahm9@5-6pl.jpg
Ahm9@5-6nug.jpg

and Red 5 from this run in comparison:
red5notred.jpg

smells seem to be broadly similar so far, woody, earthy, coffee and the candy/sherbet lemon smell that Purp4 has is even stronger in one of two of these.

island_organics

All looking great @island_organics , i can see BIG leaves and some variation in play as well now. The F1s had a fairly quick flowering response to reduced day length.... when do plants generally start flowering at your lattitude?
VG
I think I’m going to train the heavily branched one as it looks like it would benefit from it, but will probably leave the other two to grow naturally being as it’s getting close to flowering, and i like to see the natural shape of varieties i haven’t grown out before.

I usually see flowering in early/ mid august for broad leaf varieties, and mid September for the narrow leaf types. It’ll be interesting to see how much the semi auto-flowering traits from the Moroccan side of Ahmar influence the onset of flowering if at all.

The two males have responded fairly quickly to light dep, and are showing some different morphology which is good for the reproduction.
BF54DEF9-31CF-451B-861D-02546E7D9D0C.jpeg
676DA6E1-09B4-46B8-BD00-66E88E5590B7.jpeg
E76487E4-74D9-4223-BB12-9F2DB53DA14E.jpeg

island_organics

The three Ahmar’s are really taking off now and looking amazing. They’re really beautiful looking plants. Two look nearly identical but we might see some differences once flowering is underway. The third plant is a different phenotype altogether and I’m assuming is Panama red dominant. She has a narrower leaf, heavily branched and long internodes. She was topped by a grasshopper which is a good thing as she’s responding well to having her branches pulled horizontally with the open structure. The last pic shows her before i caged her and did some training.
I’m just keeping them watered and giving twice weekly foliar sprays, alternating between neem oil and soap nut extract, and aloe vera and fulvic acid. Shouldn’t be long before flower formation is noticeable.
AC37AC66-5AF1-4DE3-AD1E-EFDFBD9F0276.jpeg
007DACA2-FE96-41F8-88A3-26380ED97A75.jpeg
47AB4025-7793-49D3-A7F3-4423DF7A635B.jpeg
A4A10CF5-54D0-4352-AC23-228BC385965E.jpeg
7E45A581-6A89-4E3C-AEE0-1C3450D6D71E.jpeg
AA925831-0857-4AAF-AEDA-96080647E5CE.jpeg
5DC1EC1D-76F9-46C6-B6BE-71F6FC584602.jpeg
F22CDD26-B0BC-4390-AF7D-896B757BF94C.jpeg
03A50FDE-935C-48E9-BDA9-6BF10D4C5FFE.jpeg
8882660C-6E86-4258-AE3A-51F71777B6AB.jpeg

Redrum92

The three Ahmar’s are really taking off now and looking amazing. They’re really beautiful looking plants. Two look nearly identical but we might see some differences once flowering is underway. The third plant is a different phenotype altogether and I’m assuming is Panama red dominant. She has a narrower leaf, heavily branched and long internodes. She was topped by a grasshopper which is a good thing as she’s responding well to having her branches pulled horizontally with the open structure. The last pic shows her before i caged her and did some training.
I’m just keeping them watered and giving twice weekly foliar sprays, alternating between neem oil and soap nut extract, and aloe vera and fulvic acid. Shouldn’t be long before flower formation is noticeable.
View attachment 18869060 View attachment 18869061 View attachment 18869062 View attachment 18869064 View attachment 18869065 View attachment 18869066 View attachment 18869067 View attachment 18869068 View attachment 18869069 View attachment 18869070

Love when fan leaves get the thick, long fu-manchu mustache with the baby backwards leaves, like on that second to last pic