What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ahmar F1 : 60s Panama Red x Chefchaouen 'Sativa' Hashplant

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, i was gifted these seed and i’m very excited to grow them. This cross was made by a Moroccan Hash farmer and these buds were his own personal favorite smoke… his headstash !
seeds.jpg

How i came into these seeds is quite a nice story so i will briefly tell it:

It all started with a favor. I did a favor for someone i know and, whilst i am a great one for ‘quid pro quo’ type favors, this particular favor was the best type - where i asked for nothing in return.
We met up in London where i was working, favor was done, and the guy gifted me a small lump of hash - which i had a smoke of as soon as i got home. It was lovely… very lightly pressed blond hash that we might call ‘pollen’ or ‘blond hash’ in the UK. It reminded me of Red Lebenese (that used to come in the cloth bags) but when i was in contact with my friend he told me it was Moroccan, and that it came from his friend who’s dad had farmed the same fields for the last 40 years. (Most Moroccan that is imported into the UK is more heavily pressed and of lesser quality - what we used to call ‘Slate’ ) - Always the opportunist, i asked him to see if his friend could get hold of any seeds for those hashplants - he said he would try, and then i pretty much forgot about it because these things hardly ever end up with a result ime.
The guy is a member here, i won’t name him but he can pop in and say hi if he likes, and a couple of weeks later he messaged me to say that his friend’s dad had sadly just died, and that his friend’s uncles had taken over the hash farm and that he couldn’t ask them for seeds, but he had gone back for the funeral and bought these seeds back that were nothing to do with that hash - they were what his dad had smoked for himself for as long as he could remember and they has never been shared with anybody before, and here is the story of the cross itself:
His dad had travelled to Panama in the ‘60s and bought back seeds of the Panama Red he had smoked there. He loved the color, flavor, taste and smell of Panama Red but thought he could improve the structure and the high, and also make it more suitable for the Moroccan climate, so he crossed it with a ‘sativa’ hashplant with a very nice effect that was a landrace native to the Chefchauoen region of the Rif in Morocco. It smelt of herbal tea, woody, earthy, coffee and spice. People used to smoke the buds of this sativa but it was still classed as a hash producing plant (when the guy described it as sativa he put the word in inverted commas - ‘sativa’ - which may mean that we would call it a sativa because it had narrow leaves,or taller and bushier.. im not sure) he said it was a very different plant to the sort of indica hashplant used to make the ‘blond hash’ from Ketama and most regions in the Rif.
His dad went through a few hundred Panama Red plants and chose 18-20 of the red types that had the smell, structure and bud formation that he liked best, and pollinated them with a single male Chefchaouen sativa -

Ahmar was born, the arabic word translates as ‘Red’ or ‘Red gem’ - I was told these would go around 10-12 weeks indoors.
So the first thing i thought was that these F1 seeds are OLD ! - at least 30 years old but more like 40 or 50 years old… they looked kid of old too but also but also very good quality and well formed, I was given 15 seeds and told they should still germinate just fine because his dad knew how to keep seeds for a long time.
So i planted 9 of them and spread out between day 5 and day 9 i got 5 seedlings… and i have 6 seeds left.
About 3 weeks old...
Group shot:
seedlings.jpg

seedlingstop.jpg

and 3 different individuals:
seedlinga.jpg
seedlingb.jpg
seedlingc.jpg

These have already led a somewhat charmed life... and hopefully i can flower some out and see what they are like..
VG

Last edited:

Reteneve

Hi all, i was gifted these seed and i’m very excited to grow them. This cross was made by a Moroccan Hash farmer and these buds were his own personal favorite smoke… his headstash !
View attachment 18796110

How i came into these seeds is quite a nice story so i will briefly tell it:

It all started with a favor. I did a favor for someone i know and, whilst i am a great one for ‘quid pro quo’ type favors, this particular favor was the best type - where i asked for nothing in return.
We met up in London where i was working, favor was done, and the guy gifted me a small lump of hash - which i had a smoke of as soon as i got home. It was lovely… very lightly pressed blond hash that we might call ‘pollen’ or ‘blond hash’ in the UK. It reminded me of Red Lebenese (that used to come in the cloth bags) but when i was in contact with my friend he told me it was Moroccan, and that it came from his friend who’s dad had farmed the same fields for the last 40 years. (Most Moroccan that is imported into the UK is more heavily pressed and of lesser quality - what we used to call ‘Slate’ ) - Always the opportunist, i asked him to see if his friend could get hold of any seeds for those hashplants - he said he would try, and then i pretty much forgot about it because these things hardly ever end up with a result ime.
The guy is a member here, i won’t name him but he can pop in and say hi if he likes, and a couple of weeks later he messaged me to say that his friend’s dad had sadly just died, and that his friend’s uncles had taken over the hash farm and that he couldn’t ask them for seeds, but he had gone back for the funeral and bought these seeds back that were nothing to do with that hash - they were what his dad had smoked for himself for as long as he could remember and they has never been shared with anybody before, and here is the story of the cross itself:
His dad had travelled to Panama in the ‘60s and bought back seeds of the Panama Red he had smoked there. He loved the color, flavor, taste and smell of Panama Red but thought he could improve the structure and the high, and also make it more suitable for the Moroccan climate, so he crossed it with a ‘sativa’ hashplant with a very nice effect that was a landrace native to the Chefchauoen region of the Rif in Morocco. It smelt of herbal tea, woody, earthy, coffee and spice. People used to smoke the buds of this sativa but it was still classed as a hash producing plant (when the guy described it as sativa he put the word in inverted commas - ‘sativa’ - which may mean
drift boss that we would call it a sativa because it had narrow leaves,or taller and bushier.. im not sure) he said it was a very different plant to the sort of indica hashplant used to make the ‘blond hash’ from Ketama and most regions in the Rif.
His dad went through a few hundred Panama Red plants and chose 18-20 of the red types that had the smell, structure and bud formation that he liked best, and pollinated them with a single male Chefchaouen sativa -

Ahmar was born, the arabic word translates as ‘Red’ or ‘Red gem’ - I was told these would go around 10-12 weeks indoors.
So the first thing i thought was that these F1 seeds are OLD ! - at least 30 years old but more like 40 or 50 years old… they looked kid of old too but also but also very good quality and well formed, I was given 15 seeds and told they should still germinate just fine because his dad knew how to keep seeds for a long time.
So i planted 9 of them and spread out between day 5 and day 9 i got 5 seedlings… and i have 6 seeds left.
About 3 weeks old...
Group shot:
View attachment 18796114
View attachment 18796115
and 3 different individuals:
View attachment 18796116 View attachment 18796117 View attachment 18796118
These have already led a somewhat charmed life... and hopefully i can flower some out and see what they are like..
VG
Good luck!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My condolences to the seed donor.
This cross sounds very special, i wonder how many types of personal headstash crosses are out there... i hope it will give you pleasure.
as someone who would quite happily smoke the farmer's hash all day, i'm intrigued to taste what he reached for instead !
here are the plants today. 2 are taller and in an ideal world these might be males lol. all the plants except one of these tall ones have red mottling/coloration on the stems and petioles
Ahmartall.jpg
red.jpg

and 3 smaller ones. obviously they germed on different days so some are a day or two older..
Ahmarsmall3.jpg
ahmarsmall3top.jpg
redstem2.jpg

all will be re-potted tomorrow.
VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, plants have been topped... and they sulked for a bit but a repot seemed to help and they are chugging along now. I need to do a bit of LST on a couple of them .. i will also flip them to flower soonish.
leaves are quite wide but Panama Red looks to have broad leaves for a pure sativa...
I number plants starting with the shortest at 1
Here are plants 2 and 5
Ahmar 2,5oard.jpg

plants 3 and 4
ahmar3,4.jpg

Number 1 is probably my favorite but i reserve judgement until ive compared the root mass/vigor. ( i like short plants that aren't short because they lack root vigor )
ahmar 1.jpg
ahmar1close.jpg

VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks @Fitzera and
@...CR500AF...
hi all, these are quite a but bigger now and at 2 days flower (2 days since they started to show which sex thay are.)
They have been repotted a couple of times, the root growth is impressively vigorous.
There are 2 girls and i think 3 boys... at least 2 definite boys.
Here are the girls, in final pots of 11 litres.
Plant 4 - has grown 4 pretty even side branches
ahm4@2days.jpg
Ahm4side.jpg
ahm4top.jpg

and plant 5, which has kept the apilcal dominance of the top pair of branches. This may have to be lst'd
ahm5@2days.jpg
Ahm5tops.jpg

will post pics of the boys later
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, here we are at 2.5 weeks, they are just about topping out i think (hope) after a moderate stretch.
Plant 5 did get LST'd i crossed the two long branches over each other and tied them down . they responded well.
ahmad5@2wks.jpg
Ahmad5nug@2wks.jpg
ahmad5@2wkstop.jpg

Plant 4 was left as is and stayed pretty much that way.
ahmad4@2wks.jpg
ahmad4top@2wks.jpg

not great pics but
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VG are these pure sativas or a hybrid?
HI Rob, thats a good question! - i would say they are an F1 hybrid of two pure landrace sativas... so in that sense they are still a 'pure' sativa
The Panama Red is classed as a Pure sativa and was one of the first varieties picked up on by Hippies in the 60's because of its high THC content (for those times)
Morocco has been cultivating cannabis for over 1000 years (Moroccan varieties are historically renowned for their potency) and i think that the varieties that they call 'sativa' are maybe classed as that because of the different high they give in comparison to hashplants that give a more bodystone type relaxed high.... and the farmer that made this cross presumably in the 70's would have used his old school classification from that time. In Chefchaoen there seems to be two types of plant cultivated and the 'sativa' type ones were regarded to give that 'sativa' type high. They were still used to make hash but it was different to the 'blond' hash commonly made and exported there.
That said, i am no expert on landraces so others may be able to give more insight.... and the classification of 'sativa' and 'Indica' (now often called NLD and WLD ) is somewhat of a mess with various methods of nomenclature:

Last edited: