What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Afghan Mix (TRSC)

aliceklar

This is a thread for documenting grows of the Afghan Mix currently (Fall 2020) being offered by The Real Seed Company. Jump in if you are growing these!

picture.php

Website says:

This winter (2019–20), we obtained accessions from the following crucial historic centres of cultivation in northern Afghanistan:

Balkh
Badakshan
Mazar-i-Sharif (i.e. the cultigen ‘Mazari’)
Kunduz

It's a mixed bag, offered at discount because the accessions were mixed up, and currently being given as freebies with orders.

Seeds germinated on 11th November - 5/6 sprouted (no complaints - there were only meant to be 5 in the bag!), within a few days.

aliceklar

All apart from #3 were topped about 5 days ago just above the 3rd true node, all putting on some nice regrowth. #3 was the runt, that started off with its root in the air... but is now making a slow recovery. Some displaying some interesting leaf deformations. Will post more pics soon...

aliceklar

week 2 veg

week 2 veg

Week and a bit after topping, and all growing well. #3 has recovered a bit after her shaky start and is doing a crazy corkscrew thing with the main stem. Just repotted her into a 1 litre pot last night. #5 is showing some weird leaf variegations / deformation.

Mr. Stinky

Look to be struggling a bit, likely a ph issue. But they are growing! What's your runoff ph?

You're doing better than me tho... I think something happened To my recent order in transport. Maybe heat, or radiated, who knows. 3/13 kumaoni, 5/13 afgaan90, and just 1/6 affy mix popped. No issues with other seeds, even some 17 years old. No fault of rsc I'm sure. Reminder why you only order a pack or 2 at a time....less to lose.

Afgaan90 middle row. Between my nesquik ibl below, and ice/ppxak99 above. I start seeds like this to get cuts rooted in rockwool for mums.

picture.php

Looking forward to seeing those Afghan Mix grow. If only we could determine the sourced location of each seed, 4 different locations in northern Afghanistan. Im expecting a lot of variation, but maybe some cultivars in the mix will be distinct.

aliceklar

Look to be struggling a bit, likely a ph issue. But they are growing! What's your runoff ph?

View Image

Havent checked the runoff (I tend to water quite sparingly without much runoff as I grow in compost rather than doing hydro) but I do adjust the water ph when I cant get rainwater - suspect that some of the leaf issues are due to small pot size - they will have to hang in there until they are sexed, then the girls will get bigger pots!

Looking forward to seeing those Afghan Mix grow. If only we could determine the sourced location of each seed, 4 different locations in northern Afghanistan. Im expecting a lot of variation, but maybe some cultivars in the mix will be distinct.

Yeah, its a shame that they were mixed up, but I count it as a lucky dip! I asked ngakpa about the different characteristics of the different landraces, and he said that there would likely be significant variation within each one, and that they were not stable "strains" as we are used to thinking about them - so I am keeping an open mind and looking forward to being surprised by what emerges!

aliceklar

Interesting thread, subbed. Hope you don't mind me posting a photo in your thread but I have this Kushkak from Afghan Selection.
28 days of flower here.
View Image

Good luck with your Afghans, will be good to see what you get.

Thank you, and no problem! All Afghans welcome here :D Yours are looking good so far.

Looking at the info on those seeds, seems to be an ibl originating from a Balkhi landrace - so will be interesting to compare to what comes out of the mix.

acespicoli

Dunno. It happens tho. Who knows what they endure on that trip. All other orders from rsc have been great. I have the Sudanese and nanda devi on their way now.

:plant grow:

seen some great nanda devi phenos from ic members

id open pollinate and try for expanding your seed count first alot of diversity

Mr. Stinky

seen some great nanda devi phenos from ic members

id open pollinate and try for expanding your seed count first alot of diversity

For sure. I prefer to have a baby food jar of each seedline saved. I have a natural cooled root cellar so it's no problem keeping lots of jars cool and dark indefinitely. Theres 43 jars of seed in there now, and I plan to add 4 more this winter. Itll probably take me the rest of my life just to run all the packs I've got for seed. :D we need more guys properly storing and labeling and preserving. When it is finally legalized, corporate cronies will crush us and "Monsanto-ize" the industry.

I also have 11 types of corn, 74 tomatoes, 24 watermelon, 17 Roses, hundreds of dahlia, flowers, garden seeds, an orchard and small vineyard. All old stock.

I've since switched this unit to 4x16 flood and drain. The promix was too fussy

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

LizardMan

Mr stinky. Did that long bed work well at cycling through alot of plants... Or was there plenty of issues making you decide to switch?

Mr. Stinky

Worked great except it wasn't deep enough. Dried out too quickly and was difficult to deal with runoff. Water too much and itd soak the floor. But I got through a few generations in a hurry and was able to get the vigor back in that line as well as make some improvements. Those are short term amnesia. An auto version of Nl5c5 x maui wowi

I had 8 lights on a home made flip. Zigzag hut was an 8X30 office unit. This was the main room. Back section was processing room with racks and my bigger homemade version of a twister. The hvac unit on the front worked hard but did a great job.

Edit. Sorry I'm dragging Us off topic here.

picture.php

Last edited:

acespicoli

For sure. I prefer to have a pint jar of each seedline saved. I have a natural cooled root cellar so it's no problem keeping lots of jars cool and dark indefinitely. Theres 43 jars of seed in there now, and I plan to add 4 more this winter. Itll probably take me the rest of my life just to run all the packs I've got for seed. :D we need more guys properly storing and labeling and preserving. When it is finally legalized, corporate cronies will crush us and "Monsanto-ize" the industry.

I also have 11 types of corn, 74 tomatoes, 24 watermelon, 17 Roses, hundreds of dahlia, flowers, garden seeds, an orchard and small vineyard. All old stock.

I've since switched this unit to 4x16 flood and drain. The promix was too fussy

View Image

View Image
that grows right up there with the stadium grow

same grow style same hoarding style lol
:) we must be from the same tribe:plant grow:

Latest posts

Latest posts