What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Sativas own Old Toker

Old Toker

Then there's harvest fever; the unaccounted for need to take all plants down in the same time frame for no good reason. Resist!
I am able to resist the urge to harvest the PHs...without too much difficulty. Actually harvesting these girls after so much time and effort....is kind of sad. But...I would prefer to harvest my sativas early rather than late. Would actually prefer right on time...but I probably have too little experience to nail all four strains exactly correct.

My concern with the PHs is that they've only been drinking PH 6.0 tap water for two weeks and they are slowly starving. How long can they continue like that? Or perhaps a better question is...how long SHOULD they be allowed to starve?:tiphat:

What the Growilla said;) you've got so much on the plate that another week/month won't hurt those PHazes:biggrin:. Then there's harvest fever; the unaccounted for need to take all plants down in the same time frame for no good reason. Resist! Marshall 78% of your forces and distract yourself with trimming, jarring, testing, tasting, cobbing etc. The ensuing chaos should keep you busy.
Thinking about it, harvest is a desirable, necessary and yet terrible moment. I much prefer the month AFTER harvest, sitting on a pile of wonderfully cured, miraculously trimmed buds.
On another cannabis forum there is a lot of work going into what is called "low and slow" drying. It sounds almost too good to be true but I am going to try it. After cutting and washing, they are hung up for around 4 hours then layered on racks in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or until dry, then jarred and put right back in the refer, or however you chose to cure them. It would come in very handy when you have a nice big harvest like you have going here. Takes all the pressure off and retaines the flavor and terpenes. You might Google "low and slow drying" if you have any interest.

Very nice job Old Toker! You've got your work cut out for you for awhile:)

Old Toker

On another cannabis forum there is a lot of work going into what is called "low and slow" drying.
I think I read about something similar.....where you hang dry for a couple of days and then freeze dry your buds by putting them in an open box in the freezer. Forget all the details...but it's on here somewhere. I wouldn't mind trying it....and gave it some thought when I first read about it.....but I only have one fridge/freezer combo and it's in the kitchen. Momma is NOT going to go for "low and slow" or "freeze dried" buds in her fridge. I'd put my foot down and insist....but I'm afraid she'll kick my butt. :)

Thank you though... I do appreciate the suggestion! :tiphat:If I grew more often.....I'd get a used "beer" fridge for the garage....and I may do that in the next couple of months. But for now....I'm fortunate to have a wife that even though she doesn't smoke...is understanding enough to give up the garage for 6 months.
Very nice job Old Toker!
Thank you sir! I'm proud to say that thanks to the great Ace Seed genetics.....and my ignoring almost any good advice I received in this thread...the grow seems to have been successful. It should be mentioned that there was actually very LITTLE good advice in this thread for me to ignore. Mostly, just the crazed ramblings of my fellow stoners. Yah....it's been great!:dance013:

C

c64

"Day 114 of 12/12... " :bow:

What an incredible endurance. This is true love for the holy herb.
Beautiful buds... :greenstars:
I wish you a pleasant and very relaxed time with it. :)

Old Toker

I wish you a pleasant and very relaxed time with it. :)
Thank you Brother!:tiphat: Hopefully by the next time I grow I'll be able to post photos half as good as yours. They're are amazing. You have a real talent....and you don't grow too badly either. :)

BTW - not currently very relaxing....but soon....very soon. :tiphat:

Old Toker

Planning on taking down the PHs tonight.....before lights on. Actually unplugged the ballast....so there isn't any more lights on. Checked trichs last night....both are about 10%. They are also getting very yellow with plenty of dried leaves. 117 days of 12/12. I think it's time. Just a guess....but if I had continued to feed them.....I believe they would have continued to throw white pistils for 20+ weeks. If I like the smoke (and I have NO reason to think I won't)....I'd like to run the PHs again with some other longer flowering Ace sativas....like Old Timers Haze...and maybe the Purple Haze/Malawi. Fewer plants...with more room for each....and just let them grow.

Cut the GTs down to stems on Monday and put them in a large Tupperware type plastic bin with lid to hopefully even out the RH%. They've been holding steady at 63% for over 24 hours now. Popped a large Boveda 62% in there this morning.....hopefully this will hold them for awhile and give me more time to deal with all the other plants...before I trim them and put in jars.

I guess it's common sense (probably why I didn't think of it) that the fewer flowering plants you have in an enclosed space.....the lower the RH%. The RH% has dropped so much (45-50%) in the tent with only two plants...that I actually thought about breaking out the humidifier. This close to harvest....it was only a fleeting thought. Definitely not going to ADD moisture at this point. Good news is that I was able to turn off the dehumidifier in the lung room....which brought the RH% in the drying area to 55-60%. Just where I want it.

On top of all the the balls that I'm currently juggling...I have family visiting for the holiday weekend. Secrecy is not important....but my wife would prefer that I not have any hanging plants in the garage and that I minimize my pot related activities. If I harvest the PHs tonight and hang them....they should be ready for the box by Friday night / Sat AM. That will solve one of her "requests". I'll find time for the other tasks in between whatever family time is required of me.

Hope everyone (including those not in the USA) has a safe and happy 4th of July!:tiphat:

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I have heard but never tried it, some have said reduced light period such as 10.5-11 hours of light period per day helps with the reflowering and white pistil growth on some more tropical varieties, it can reduce overall yield but it supposedly helps them finish properly.

deepwaterdude

I hope our best and only Old Toker is out cavorting around the BBQ or something and not laid out on a cot next to the trim bin. Give us a shout so we know where to send bail!

Old Toker

Hey DWD! Still alive and trimming. Everything is jarred except the PH....which is what I'm currently trimming. Hopefully will finish up tomorrow....hopefully.

Other than the 3 week early GT...the only thing I've sampled is the Malawi. Very potent....maybe more so than the one I grew outside. I may HAVE to try the PH tonight. Just love the smell and how easy she is to trim.

Hope to begin the tear down, cleaning, and boxing up of the grow area this week. With this quantity of weed it may be years before I need to grow again.

Hope all is well with you and yours....and good luck with the current grow!

Will report back with some final weights.....

REGARDS....:tiphat:

If you tear down the grow room what are you going to do with all of your "free time?" I'm afraid I'd go bonkers without having to care for any plants.

Old Toker

If you tear down the grow room what are you going to do with all of your "free time?" I'm afraid I'd go bonkers without having to care for any plants.
Good question....and one I've been considering quite a bit lately. Current plan is to do some more work with a local literacy group that I've volunteered with in the past. Teaching adults to read.

I'll miss growing and being abused by some of the posters on this site :)....but I really don't NEED anymore pot....and my wife has been really understanding about the whole operation....including the risk.

So it's time for the Old Toker to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labor...and criticize the hell out of other peoples grows despite having almost no first hand knowledge/experience of my own. Isn't life grand when just because you harvest a few plants you are NOW the foremost authority on everything? Have a problem with the girl/wife/kids/pets...talk to the OT....after all now that I've grown a few plants....I have all the answers to all the questions.....and if I don't....I'll just make up some crap. Why? Because I'm an experienced grower. God....it's lonely at the top of the food chain. :tiphat:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats Old Toker :)

I'm glad to hear you have already harvested all your plants and that your first pure sativa indoor grow have been a great success, producing a huge yield ;) So nice to hear you will have enough stash for upcoming years.
Now it is time to relax and enjoy the outcome of your hard work, and learn how your harvest improves with the curing.

Thank you very much for keeping us updated with your grow and for supporting our work! :tiphat:

Old Toker

..Thank you very much for keeping us updated with your grow and for supporting our work! :tiphat:
You are very welcome Dubi! Actually...I should be Thanking You for the great genetics that allowed me to make numerous newbie mistakes and STILL end up with a great harvest. Thanks a million and best wishes for your continued success with Ace Seeds!
Regards....Old Toker:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

I'm happy you're still out there, OT, doing good... the Wasted Crusader! I recommend something breathable for your swampy and humid area, should you decide to get a cape.

Unfortunately, I have a suggestion that will keep you busy and worried for the next few months: see, if you REALLY wanted to do it right, you'd let all that harvest sit and cure for a few months or six. And again, if only for the sake of your soul as idleness is little recommended (See Amos 2:3-The Lord giveth only rectal problems to the unmoving), between sweet teas with the new readers you should definitely start a new grow. Besides, a soft, relaxed mind absorbs easily without the hard crust of anxiety for the words to bounce off... so your stash may go faster than planned;) By the time your second grow is getting ripe, your present weed will be ready, and so on:biggrin: THEN you can rest and be helpful to humanity, etc.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I'll miss growing and being abused by some of the posters on this site

I'm thinking about a few tomatoes. I'd try cucumbers, but the outside ones always get powdery mildew and I don't want that nasty stuff anywhere near. I've also thought a few poppies or some special cacti might be nice.