What's new

Ace Sativas own Old Toker

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Thank you GG! :tiphat:
My grow is a classic example of needing to actually do something wrong before you learn it. You can read hundreds of posts warning about not putting too many plants in too small of a space, or letting your sativas veg too long, and the importance of LST/super-cropping/pruning to keep them under control.....but...at least in my case....I actually had to make those mistakes myself to appreciate the wisdom(emphasis mine).

I'm such a nice guy. I remind the mrs of this all the time. Anyway, I hated seeing you beat yourself up about the over vegging so I over vegged my Panama Haze too. Its going to be a magnificent beast

Old Toker

Harvested a Malawi right before lights on. Hanging whole in the garage. Might be my imagination...but this one seems to have more smell than the GTs. Very happy with the weight on this girl.....although I'm not really sure who the hell is going to trim these plants.

As I was trimming up my few ozs of bud this afternoon.....the following post from a wise Tibetan monk came to mind several times:
It'd be nice to harvest and trim one a time so you don't get too "behind". I find after the third plant or so, I get pretty laid back and start to renegotiate the definition of "trimmed", finally reaching the conclusion that if it's got THC on it, it's a bud, and hence that my trimming is just out of pride as I don't sell anything and therefore very probably sinful and a slippery slope to hell. So by the fourth plant I just cut branches and throw them in a drawer for a couple of weeks or until I remember them. Very hard to maintain discipline over time
:tiphat:

Koondense

Veteran
I don't even trim anymore, only pick off the big fans before drying and the small ones when they're dry :)

Congrats for your Malawi harvest!

Old Toker

I don't even trim anymore, only pick off the big fans before drying and the small ones when they're dry
Thank you Koondense! I see myself sliding down that same slippery slope. If we are not selling.....why not trim for convenience instead of market appeal? After all, the time that I save from trimming....can be used for posting/reading ICMag forums. What are our priorities? :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Thank you Koondense! I see myself sliding down that same slippery slope. If we are not selling.....why not trim for convenience instead of market appeal? After all, the time that I save from trimming....can be used for posting/reading ICMag forums. What are our priorities? :tiphat:

I've got a whole bucket of rationalizations that support this non-action. Besides being obviously a sin of pride that'll leave your soul in tatters, I find the drying leaves cupping the buds aesthetically pleasing, while also functioning as a buffer to slow the dry of the buds they hold with their many fingered hands. Important in this here climate, especially with delicate sativas.

That said, I know some serious dudes who won't keep leafy or high-maintenance/oversensitive plants. Smart. My ideal this grow is split between Lady S and Miss P. Lady S required only removal of big leaves and any available leaf stem I could see, and is now a mass of perfect, triangular buds, while Miss P's buds were so perfectly formed, round like marbles, that trimming them became very predictable and fast. You've got some chaos to get through;)

I love coming over to your house for morning coffee and a guaranteed guffaw.

Old Toker

..Besides being obviously a sin of pride that'll leave your soul in tatters, I find the drying leaves cupping the buds aesthetically pleasing, while also functioning as a buffer to slow the dry of the buds they hold with their many fingered hands.
I feel you pulling me to the dark side. Somehow you knew I was weak....
You've got some chaos to get through
Yah....I just realized that recently. Guess I never actually realized how much bud was in that tent.
I love coming over to your house for morning coffee and a guaranteed guffaw.
Glad you are enjoying the thread DWD.....but I have to ask you a question: How do you know I am in my house? Maybe I'm an internet surfing, marijuana photo stealing patient in a mental institution? Just sayin'...:tiphat:

Last edited:
Hey O. T.,
I just found your thread and the Malawi caught my attention. I'll back up a few posts and take a look at the grow, see what I can learn for my young un.

Old Toker

Hey O. T.,
I just found your thread and the Malawi caught my attention. I'll back up a few posts and take a look at the grow, see what I can learn for my young un.
I'm pretty sure there isn't anything I can teach you about growing. I can tell you that the three Malawis that I've grown have been very hardy and good producers of serious bud. Good luck brother.
BTW - love the golf cart pulling your portable greenhouse. Classic.:tiphat:

Old Toker

How goes the slaughter of the hogs?
Pretty much as you predicted....they're kicking my as*. Pulled down a Zam last night and hung her. Took the Malwai that I hung a couple days before.....and hung her branches in a cardboard wardrobe. Should have taken the other Zam and Malawi last night...but those branches are so intertwined....and I used such a sh*t load of pipe cleaners tying them to the screen....that I ran out of commitment after getting just one Zam. Pretty pathetic....I know.

Just finished cleaning a few wet ozs of Malawi and stuffing it into some corn leaves. There were a number of times... while trimming this bud...that I thought about trimming something closer...or going after an errant leaf....and I just said "F*ck it"! Thanks to the people on this forum I have been able to rationalize my lazy trimming process. Thanks to you, I was able to pull myself back from the precipice....and avoid the slippery slope to hell and ruination.

Hope to take the other Zam & Malawi tonight.....leaving....for a few more days...the two Panama Hazes. Providing I can extract the other Zam from her...without damage. It would be great if I had an extra couple of days to get on top of the other plants. That said...the PHs could come down. They've yellowed nicely and even if they wanted to continue for another week...they will come down this week.

Hope all is well with you and your grow! :tiphat:

Old Toker

OK....Day 114 of 12/12. This past Friday was 16 weeks (112 days).

Everything is down except the PHs....pics below.

Both GTs are in their box. One Malawi is in her box. Two Zams and one Malawi are hanging whole.

Will look at the smaller GT buds tomorrow (7 days drying)....may have to jar them. Actually thinking about using a few large airtight Tupperware type bins to temporarily store them. Large enough maybe to leave the buds on 2-3 inches of stems...to help slow the drying process? Also would allow me to just roughly trim them coming out of the boxes. I have a ton of new quart jars.....which I hope to vac pack them in when I get the RH% low enough....but in the mean time it might be less handling of the buds...and more even drying if I use something large enough to dry each strain in their own bin. Any suggestions?

Once again....sorry for the quality of the pics....clearly if you are still following this thread....your standards for photography can't be too high. Actually your standards for reading material can't be that high either.

All PH pics. They have the tent to themselves...but I think they are ready. Two weeks flush as of this Tues...might wait until Wednesday....any opinions?

Regards....another Old Toker:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_212049.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212049.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170625_212059.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212059.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20170625_212106.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212106.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170625_212131.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212131.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170625_212156.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212156.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170625_212205.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212205.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170625_212211.jpg
    IMG_20170625_212211.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 11

gorilla ganja

Between my crappy eyes and your crappy pics it's hard to say for sure.

I'd leave them for a few days and tend to the others you have cut already. Don't think it will hurt them and allow you to catch up with your chores.

Very curious to hear what you think of them. Please keep a few notes on how they cure up and the difference with the cobbs. Really want to try that one day soon.

Peace GG

Old Toker

Between my crappy eyes and your crappy pics it's hard to say for sure.
I think MY crappy eyes are part of the reason that my pics are so bad.
I'd leave them for a few days and tend to the others you have cut already. Don't think it will hurt them and allow you to catch up with your chores.
You know I like it when you give me advice that agrees with what I wanted to do. God knows I could use a few days to try and get caught up.
Very curious to hear what you think of them. Please keep a few notes on how they cure up and the difference with the cobbs.
It might be six months before I actually try a cob. Nahhh....I'm sure I'll have to try a "little" piece from the end before then. :)I'll post my impressions on Tangwena's thread when/if I successfully make some cobs.
Thanks for the advice GG!:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Peace GG

What the Growilla said;) you've got so much on the plate that another week/month won't hurt those PHazes:biggrin:. Then there's harvest fever; the unaccounted for need to take all plants down in the same time frame for no good reason. Resist! Marshall 78% of your forces and distract yourself with trimming, jarring, testing, tasting, cobbing etc. The ensuing chaos should keep you busy.
Thinking about it, harvest is a desirable, necessary and yet terrible moment. I much prefer the month AFTER harvest, sitting on a pile of wonderfully cured, miraculously trimmed buds.

Latest posts

Latest posts