What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Malawi and Cycloptics Greenbeams: caught in the Under Current!

MadMac

far beyond driven...
wow,
this is becoming a real lab!
respect!
can't wait to see it in action...
well well done...!
room in a room is a great move...
all the best
M.:tiphat:

timmur

wow,
this is becoming a real lab!
respect!
can't wait to see it in action...
well well done...!
room in a room is a great move...
all the best
M.:tiphat:

Thanks MadMac! Very kind words from a guy who is crushing it with Ace goodies! Props to your skills and your setup! :biggrin:

timmur

Just another quick update. The contractor I've been dealing with gave me the run around again, so I fired him and found a replacement. The new guy is, by all accounts, reliable and has done many grow rooms. I'm hoping to get him over this weekend to finish this room up. I'm really discouraged at this last minute delay, but soon it should be all behind me. :)

biggreg

We have similar wants for lighting for sure. The lighting rig I have been penciling out is a carbon copy of yours. i grow organic soil and your'e hydro other than that, were tracking on the same lines! I will begin posting soon. Sorta finalizing our plans now.

timmur

We have similar wants for lighting for sure. The lighting rig I have been penciling out is a carbon copy of yours. i grow organic soil and your'e hydro other than that, were tracking on the same lines! I will begin posting soon. Sorta finalizing our plans now.

Looking forward to it!

GoldenSyrup

Please don't mind me mate I am tagging myself in your thread so I can watch it unfold from the "my posts" tab :)

I'm currently running 6 x 315w units (not greenbeams, I am using Maxibrights from here in the UK they use the phillips advance) in a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2m room (I think thats 4x8 feet). I think that is a total PPF per m2 of about 1200~ I'm interested to see how you get on using double the amount of lamps :)

All the best dude

Ez Rider

Veteran
Please don't mind me mate I am tagging myself in your thread so I can watch it unfold from the "my posts" tab :)

I'm currently running 6 x 315w units (not greenbeams, I am using Maxibrights from here in the UK they use the phillips advance) in a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2m room (I think thats 4x8 feet). I think that is a total PPF per m2 of about 1200~ I'm interested to see how you get on using double the amount of lamps :)

All the best dude

Just curious how you're arriving at 1200ppfd. I'm running 6 C/G's based on a modeled 4'X8' room. Ppfd @ 20" from the aperture is given as 964.

GoldenSyrup

Just curious how you're arriving at 1200ppfd. I'm running 6 C/G's based on a modeled 4'X8' room. Ppfd @ 20" from the aperture is given as 964.

Simple maths and probably wrong maths! I'm glad someones asking atleast so I can be corrected if I am wrong. Each lamp emits a total of 601 umols per second, so six of those is 3606 and then divided by the total floor space?

I'm not using greenbeams so unsure of how they compare/work things out etc.

As I said please feel free to educate me not looking to spread misinfo!

GoldenSyrup

(Sorry for double post I can't edit?)

On hindsight that isn't including things like light loss, so I guess it is just total potential light in the area. I guess that they are calculating on stuff like light loss via reflection etc? I imagine it would be less for white-lined/orca areas?

Anyway, I'm sure the answers to my questions are in the big threads I don't want to derail this one :)

Ez Rider

Veteran
Simple maths and probably wrong maths! I'm glad someones asking atleast so I can be corrected if I am wrong. Each lamp emits a total of 601 umols per second, so six of those is 3606 and then divided by the total floor space?

I'm not using greenbeams so unsure of how they compare/work things out etc.

As I said please feel free to educate me not looking to spread misinfo!

All I can tell is what my model says: ~960ppfd @ 20", ~830ppfd @ 30", ~700ppfd @ 48" and ~600ppfd @ 66". All distances being measured from the hood aperture, and assuming highly reflective walls. Timmur is running 16 in a 8'x8' to get ~1300ppfd, I believe. That's 8 lamps for a 4'x8'. I strongly suspect that our C/G's will substantially outperform any other 315w system available.

Hey timmur, how that build coming?

timmur

Well I fired the contractor and hired a new one. He's coming over this Friday. The new guy is very solid and has a grow room of his own.

Plan to have everything testable by Sunday. That leaves a 3 day burn in for the lights and some water testing on the UC system. I'll probably start seeds on Sunday if there are no issues with the build.

It really sucks with the delay, but I want it right so I'm just trying to take the long view.

In other news, I did pick up a hand held meter that does pH, TDS, EC, Temperature, and ORP. Pretty sweet. It has 3 removable (and replaceable) end attachments to do the various tests. Here's a link to it.

51ElKibov0L.jpg

timmur

All the best dude

Hey GoldenSyrup (love that name, lol), thanks for stopping by. It sounds like you have a nice room! Have you posted any grows with this set up?

rykus

Been fallowing along for a bit and reading all the lighting info I can because I have a half built room I need to finish that is pretty exciting for me, as I've been organic soil for a while now... Love a bit of hydro too though, just to get to be all tech-y and play with fancy gadgets.... And so clean!

Anyways I'm an old hippy at heart, and a thing I noticed since a young age as a sativa lover that I find not many other people embrace, is the evolution of the sativa.

Basically my theory is that most sativa's evolved in a purely 12 hour light cycle environment, with much less seasonal fluxuations than the mountainous indicate strains the early cash choppers and coniseurs used to create most popular indoor and outdoor hybrid strains.

Because of this I always found the plants are much happier doing a shorter 12 hr light cycle with higher amount of light intensity, then dictating size and length of growth cycle by container size and feed/room conditions. Also found they like a high humidity and will tolerate more light and feed ect in humid environment.

It takes a couple runs to get each strain dialled in but the rewards are a more predictable,higher yielding and healthier crop.... Don't know exactly how the plant would decide to flower in hydro though, because in theory they never root bind... But in soil I love this trait for convenience in flip room systems! No veg room required just little pre veg on shelves in cups and plant!

Anyways sorry for the derail, love the set up and commitment! Way to go for it!

I'll be fallowing along too

GoldenSyrup

Hey GoldenSyrup (love that name, lol), thanks for stopping by. It sounds like you have a nice room! Have you posted any grows with this set up?

Hey, thanks man!

My room is a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2 metre grow tent, white lined reflective sheeting matte it's a bit like a fabric/thicker black and white sheeting. The brand is Bud Box anyway.

I've posted a couple of pictures of my first grow with all CMH in the big 315w thread months ago but nothing since then - I don't keep an active diary here. I'm about 6 weeks off completing my third all cmh grow since then.

I'm not sure how the PM thing works here but if I figure it out I'll shoot you some images. I'll be lurking around here in this thread as its update :)

Last edited:

timmur

Been fallowing along for a bit and reading all the lighting info I can because I have a half built room I need to finish that is pretty exciting for me, as I've been organic soil for a while now... Love a bit of hydro too though, just to get to be all tech-y and play with fancy gadgets.... And so clean!

Anyways I'm an old hippy at heart, and a thing I noticed since a young age as a sativa lover that I find not many other people embrace, is the evolution of the sativa.

Basically my theory is that most sativa's evolved in a purely 12 hour light cycle environment, with much less seasonal fluxuations than the mountainous indicate strains the early cash choppers and coniseurs used to create most popular indoor and outdoor hybrid strains.

Because of this I always found the plants are much happier doing a shorter 12 hr light cycle with higher amount of light intensity, then dictating size and length of growth cycle by container size and feed/room conditions. Also found they like a high humidity and will tolerate more light and feed ect in humid environment.

It takes a couple runs to get each strain dialled in but the rewards are a more predictable,higher yielding and healthier crop.... Don't know exactly how the plant would decide to flower in hydro though, because in theory they never root bind... But in soil I love this trait for convenience in flip room systems! No veg room required just little pre veg on shelves in cups and plant!

Anyways sorry for the derail, love the set up and commitment! Way to go for it!

I'll be fallowing along too

It sounds like we have a similar view of sativas. I plan to hit thm with high intensity lighting, but keep the "day" short. Also plan to run high RH during veg. With no root binding I think they'll grow into monsters. We'll see! Keep checking in. I keep saying soon there will be plants, but seriously... soon there will be plants, lol!:biggrin:

dopeThoughts

Hey, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm doing something similar, although not nearly as fancy. I thought you may be interested.

Here in Oregon it is legal to grow 4 plants. I have a small tent setup with 4 Ace Seeds Malawi growing under two 315w CMH lamps in an undercurrent dwc setup.

I kind of fucked them up after a nutrient change and neglect, but they are recovering nicely.

Early...

About a month into flowering...

timmur

Hey, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm doing something similar, although not nearly as fancy. I thought you may be interested.

Here in Oregon it is legal to grow 4 plants. I have a small tent setup with 4 Ace Seeds Malawi growing under two 315w CMH lamps in an undercurrent dwc setup.

I kind of fucked them up after a nutrient change and neglect, but they are recovering nicely.

Early...
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66503&pictureid=1581145&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

About a month into flowering...
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66503&pictureid=1581148&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66503&pictureid=1581147&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66503&pictureid=1581146&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Hey dopeThoughts glad you stopped by! I'm definately interested in your grow. What EC level are you running? I'm assuming no CO2? How long did you veg? So many questions! Were they fem or regs?

dopeThoughts

Hey dopeThoughts glad you stopped by! I'm definately interested in your grow. What EC level are you running? I'm assuming no CO2? How long did you veg? So many questions! Were they fem or regs?

Oh man, where to start. I guess I'll have to get around to making a full grow journal at some point. They were vegged for a while, as I had a lot of issues early on, as I mentioned briefly before and are at ~300 ppm at the moment. I'm using dry nutrients: Peters Hydrosol/Calcium Nitrate/Epsom Salts, no CO2.

The Malawi were feminized, I started with 6, one didn't pop and I gave one away.

Latest posts

Latest posts