What's new

A question for the growers using Jacks 5-12-26

Rabbi

Ok so tonight I ran a new batch of water/nutes, 1000ppm, and ph up'd(growtek ph up) to 6.0. See how things work out.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
1ooo ppms at what scale? 700 or 500? it would be either 1.5 or 2 ec. both seems high to me but 2.0 ec seems really high. which is it?

Rabbi

1ooo ppms at what scale? 700 or 500? it would be either 1.5 or 2 ec. both seems high to me but 2.0 ec seems really high. which is it?

Ok so after checking the "Ec, PPM Conversion Chart" sticky'd in this section, it does look like the 2.0 ec. However this is the ppm(ec) that I ran last week and it just barely moved through out the week, even though my water levels dropped lots. The deficiency seems to be clearing up as well.

I also checked my r/o water ph tonight and it was low right from the get go. 3 weeks ago when I first ran the Jacks nutes with the r/o my ph seemed good at 6.0 (5-600ppm). Seems weird now since my ph is lower before and after adding any nutes.

Anyway, would you suggest dropping my ppm still? If so any suggestions to what you would drop it too?

growteam

Well I hate to create "noise" in your grow. Everyone things something else. Your left fucking things up from all the advice.

Just keep an eye on your plants. I know with the jacks, I dont always see the traditional symptoms of over feeding. Such as burned tips. But I still notice symptoms of toxicity. Things like nitrogen toxicity.

I would run 750ppm on a dwc style system. So not a soiless mix. Maybe in soiless you could get away with a higher ppm. Depending on the size of your plants.

I usually start off around 300ppms on smaller plants and clones. Thats just me. Its just how I did it. At least if you start off on the lower ppm's side you can always increase as you go. But if you overfeed its a nightmare. Now your in repair mode.

Just my opinion and experience.

Rabbi

Thx growteam. Think to be on the safe side I'll go ahead and drop ppm's a bit, since it sounds like I should. can always go up if it appears I need to. Gonna stay higher than 300ppm in veg though since I already was there and was showing signs of deficiencies.

Last edited:

growteam

Thx growteam. Think to be on the safe side I'll go ahead and drop ppm's a bit, since it sounds like I should. can always go up if it appears I need to. Gonna stay higher than 300ppm in veg though since I already was there and was showing signs of deficiencies.

The nice thing with the jacks is you just throttle the ppm strength. Or the ratio of the 5-12-26 to calnit. Keep us posted on your progress. Its a fun read for me now.

Rabbi

The nice thing with the jacks is you just throttle the ppm strength. Or the ratio of the 5-12-26 to calnit. Keep us posted on your progress. Its a fun read for me now.

Shall do growteam. Besides the obvious help of dialling in for myself I like to think it will also help out others like myself in the future. Also helps me keep track of and tweak things as I move along.

I just use Jacks for cloning no calnit. i feel there is enough nitrogen to keep them happy plus during cloning the plant is focusing on rooting, which P and K is needed more.. i like 300ppm of Jacks....

Once rooted well i transplant and hit them with Jacks @ 300ppm Mg @ 40ppm and last Calnit @ 200ppm.. So cheap and easy plus i have never had plants so healthy!!

LSWM

Jack's Hydro + CalNit in RO water has always given me a low pH. I don't care, the plants don't care. Adjusting is pointless.

growteam

Noticed my ph was low again today. Tossed in some ph up and will check on it again tomorrow.

Rabbi save me some reading and tell me about your setup. Where you taking the ph readings from? DWC? Soiless? What do you consider low for ph?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
You put in ph up til it's correct. I run 5.8 if I come into the room and it's not 5.8 I adjust it. Why would you let your ph be out of range. Why is it pointless to correct jacks?

Rabbi

Rabbi save me some reading and tell me about your setup. Where you taking the ph readings from? DWC? Soiless? What do you consider low for ph?

I run an aero-bucket kinda set up. Basically i build a bench, buckets on top, rez and pump underneath, top feeding, draining back down into rez, recirculating.
Well I consider anything below 5.0 low(i do aim for close to 6.0 though) but my readings have been much lower than that. Just checked my ph now again and it dropped again. Going to bring it back up again.

Edit: taking the readings from my rez.

Last edited:

Rabbi

I usually start off around 300ppms on smaller plants and clones. Thats just me. Its just how I did it. At least if you start off on the lower ppm's side you can always increase as you go. But if you overfeed its a nightmare. Now your in repair mode.

Just my opinion and experience.

So 3 days ago I put my ppm in small veg back down from 740ppm to 400ppm and they're already going back to showing major signs of deficiency. Think I'm going to bump it back up 600ppm and see what happens. The ones that are in flower that are running around 1000ppm seem to be making out quiet well for now so think I'm just going to leave them there for the moment. I'll report back if I start seeing signs of problems. Actually I'll report back either way.

Rabbi

Shit!. Think I just might of figured out the deficiency problem in veg. It appears their may be a chance when mixing my last cal/nit, 1gal, stock solution that I mixed in 5.8oz instead of 580 grams....fuck!...thought the solution looked rather lighter than last time. Going to run a new solution tonight again I guess...jesus, I'm a moron.

I never weigh out or measure when making stock. The reason is my water changes slightly depending which source the city is taking from. I always use a meter when mixing so i know exactly how strong each mix is. Also when i move from the 1:.67 ratio i can see the ppm's of each product.. Its one of the great benefits over an A/B nute regmen.