What's new

A question for the growers using Jacks 5-12-26

growteam

How would you calculate to get the 1:67 ratio doing it that way? Like for example if I wanted a total of 750ppm how do you know how much of each(jacks and cal/nit) to add? I do the pre mixes because it's easy to figure out that way.

(Total ppm) / 1.666666666666667 = ppm of jacks

Example
(750 ppm) / 1.666666666666667 = 450 ppm jacks.

Then multiple 450 ppm jacks by .67 to get the amount of ppm you need for calnit.

(jacks ppm) x 0.67 = Calnit ppm

Example
(450 ppm) x 0.67 = 300ppm calnit.

Rabbi

Running 850ppm in flower now. Fixed my issues in veg as well, plants are already looking much better. Also the ph up I ordered from jr peters arrived the other day and so far seems way more stable than the growtek ph up I was using.

Seems like all is well finally.

Laavamara

I'm gonna go with Jack's hydro and CalNit next round but I have a few questions about using AgSil with it since apparently it puts the K levels far too high and problems occur. Reason why I want to use it that in my little NFT 205's the rez temperature rises to maybe 25 or 26 and I've been using silicate as a preventation against root rot (Ofc I Have air pumps too but wonder if it'll be enough with 26c degree rez atleast on veg). Rez chillers are really not an option since I have two res's and they cost a-lot and i've been doing fine so far with lucas+silicon+airstones
Also my tapwater is around 0.25EC with ph around 8 so I think it will be ok using Jack's with tap water?

growteam

Anyone tapering the calnit toward the end of flower?

I would cut it out near the end. Different time frame for different varieties. Average in my experience was 10 days before harvest. Thats just a personal preference. That naturally will lower your ppm's too. Which I like because the plants eat less near the end.

Last edited:

growteam

I'm gonna go with Jack's hydro and CalNit next round but I have a few questions about using AgSil with it since apparently it puts the K levels far too high and problems occur. Reason why I want to use it that in my little NFT 205's the rez temperature rises to maybe 25 or 26 and I've been using silicate as a preventation against root rot (Ofc I Have air pumps too but wonder if it'll be enough with 26c degree rez atleast on veg). Rez chillers are really not an option since I have two res's and they cost a-lot and i've been doing fine so far with lucas+silicon+airstones
Also my tapwater is around 0.25EC with ph around 8 so I think it will be ok using Jack's with tap water?

Yes it should be fine. Not optimal but you can make it work. Just take it into consideration when your mixing. Starting with .25 then add 0.9 ec of jacks and .6ppm of cani. Unless I made a mistake a 750ppm dose with RO water is now 875ppm because your tap water is 125 ppm. In EC terms 1.75.

Sorry if I made a mistake, I always do ppm not ec. But your smart to use ec instead of ppm.

ganjourno

Yes I like to cut calcinit by 50% after stretch is over, then remove completely about 2 weeks before chop. It brings out the color and lets the plant use N from the leaves so you end up with a smoother product. I typically find that high N during later flowering gives me smaller buds but a lot more trichs on the leaves. If you're going for buds best to significantly reduce N after stretch.

growteam

Yes I like to cut calcinit by 50% after stretch is over, then remove completely about 2 weeks before chop. It brings out the color and lets the plant use N from the leaves so you end up with a smoother product. I typically find that high N during later flowering gives me smaller buds but a lot more trichs on the leaves. If you're going for buds best to significantly reduce N after stretch.

Ive had tiny buds from too much nitrogen too!! haha I remember the first time I saw them. I was so horrified. lol. Bad times.

growteam

Yea :(

After I finally figured out what I did wrong, (too much nitrogen), it was too late. I even cut out the nitrogen entirely on those plants but the buds remained tiny. Its like they formed that way early on an there was no point of return. Although there was no difference in the burn, taste, smell, the buds where tiny. Perhaps more dense. I wish I logged things better I cant really remember how much it yielded.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
do any of you smarty pants know the minimum dilution ratio for the complete line up?
that being the jacks/calnit. i know it would be alot. how many total grams in of the mixed salts in a stock solution of the maximum strength without causing fallout issues. and what ph. range would i be looking at holding that in solution. probably a question for the extension service.

Avenger

Veteran
the maximum solubility of the Peters Pro 5-11-26 is listed as 3 pounds per gallon of water. I would presume the Jacks 5-12-25 to be very similar.

Yaraliva calcium nitrate has a max solubility listed as 1200 grams per liter of water, or right at 10 pounds per gallon.

this data comes right off the technical data sheets for each product.

but these have to be kept separate in this concentrated form, do not mix the two stock solutions together until diluted to working strength.

Rabbi

I still seem to be getting rust spots on my leaves which I assume is a deficiency of some sort. I've tried higher ppm's and lower ppm's but still same problem both in veg and flower. Anyone know what this might be and how I can fix it? I use r/o water, the 5-12-26, cal/nit, ph aduster(ph up) and nothing else.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
do any of you smarty pants know the minimum dilution ratio for the complete line up?
that being the jacks/calnit. i know it would be alot. how many total grams in of the mixed salts in a stock solution of the maximum strength without causing fallout issues. and what ph. range would i be looking at holding that in solution. probably a question for the extension service.

In order to do this you would need to do calculations on the individual salts. would be one hell of a calculation. I think you would have to find out the salts Kw to do it. Been a bit since I did those so I am rusty.

Would be best to just mix a little of each at the same time till a precipitate forms. I dont think it will be to much above working solution strength though.

ganjourno

I still seem to be getting rust spots on my leaves which I assume is a deficiency of some sort. I've tried higher ppm's and lower ppm's but still same problem both in veg and flower. Anyone know what this might be and how I can fix it? I use r/o water, the 5-12-26, cal/nit, ph aduster(ph up) and nothing else.

Have you ruled out everything else? Many people use jacks without this issue so I'm inclined to believe the problem is somewhere else in your setup.

Have you...
recently checked how well your ph tester is calibrated?
Ruled out fungus gnats or another soil-born pest?
Ruled out Root Rot?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Try Epsom at 1 gram for every 3 grams jacks. I use 3-1.8-1 ratio of j. Cal. Epsom respectively. Water down to 72% for 1.2 ec or shoot for 0.5-1 gram depending on solution strength. Foliar of epsom could clear that up on new growth. Overwatering and or low temps can also cause calcium lockout which can and does cause these rust spots. Roots that are compromised show calmag issues first a lot of times even in a well balanced feed. The answer in that case is not more cal mag lol. You'll just fuck your ratios all up chasing the problem down that rabbit hole. The correction should be subtle if it's s nutrient issue because jacks works Ina wide range of varieties. If you find yourself drastically altering the recipe,it's likely not the recipe.