What's new

A perfect cure every time

I was wondering if opening the jar frequently has an effect on the cure. I don't know if its true but I feel the need to burp the jars to let fresh air in but isnt fresh air bad if curing? The oxygen breaks down thc or am I pulling this out of my ass?

I was wondering this as well. I have noticed, after using this method for the past few harvests, that the bud becomes more aromatic once the seal is broken and the bud gets moved around....

chappie

Veteran
It is a pain to dry and cure here, depending on the time of year. I had a dehumidifier in my drying area, and then I jarred them when they were nice and dry. Problem is that the jars suck in moisture every time I open them, so "burping" is doing the opposite of what it should. I really don't want to run the dehumidifier for weeks or months of curing, I have to dump it daily or more and its loud.

I do have a bunch of those tiny "do not eat" dessicant packs in fact. I have been reluctant to use them, but I guess I should experiment with some. Anyone used these? I am assuming one tiny pack (they are about 2cmx2cm) is appropriate for a quart or half-gallon jar. Does that sound about right? Guess I should just throw one in with a Caliber and see what happens. If all is well I guess I should put them in all my jars.

DownShift

Thanks a bunch for this thread, it's a lifesaver!

I just harvested a plant, and dried it for 2 days.
My drying area is in the low to mid 80s, with humidity at about 40-50%, and is very well ventilated.
This seems a bit warm, but Its the only place I can think of where I can dry my buds at.

My problem is that after only 2 days of drying they are feeling very crispy on the outside. The stems don't snap yet, but I feel like I am drying them out too quick.

This morning I put them in the jar with my Caliber III, and within about 4 hours, the humidity rose from 49% to 72%, indicating that they are still too wet. I opened the jar and felt the buds, though, and they still feel crispy on the outside.
I know that they have moisture inside of them still and need to be further dried, but Should I pull them right out and dry them for another 12 hours or so, or should I leave them in the jar until the outside of the buds start to feel moist again before drying them further?

randalika

Mentor
Veteran
@downshift:
i normally dry the weed the first 7days by only feeling the moisture outside of the buds.
after that u still have enough residual moisture to start the curing process.
doesnt make really sense to use the hygrometer the first days cause the moisture is always exceeding 72% so fast after putting the buds back in the jar/bags. :)

DownShift

Thanks for the reply, randalika.

When you say that you only dry them by feeling the buds for the first 7 days, what exactly are you feeling for?

Mine feel pretty crispy on the outside, even after being in the jar for hours.

randalika

Mentor
Veteran
@downshift: as ty kaycha said it really depends on your area. u can hardly generalize that drying process.
what i feel for in the first 7days is the moisture. when the buds getting crisp and dry on the outside, i let em sit in vacuum sealed bags until they are feeling wet on the outside again.
the thing u try to achieve is to get the moisture in the inside of the bud to the outside - it's just a gradual distribution of the residual moisture.

if they are/feel already too dry and things dont change within a day, i put few fresh leaves in the bags together with the buds.
well few people say that wont change things - if u overdried the buds, the ure done. but it's better to try than do nothing. :)

DownShift

Thanks for the help guys, but I still feel like I'm missing something. :comfort:

After leaving it in the jars for 4 hours, the RH was 71%, So I was expecting the buds to feel pretty moist. Upon opening the jars, though, they still feel crispy on the outside. If I squeeze a bud a little bit, it definitely feels like there is moisture in there, and the stems don't snap, so I know that they will need to be dried further.

I'm concerned about drying the buds out too much and losing the cure, but the RH reading definitely indicates that they are too wet in the middle.

This is the part that I need help with:
Should I pull them out and lay them back out to dry right now, or should I leave them in the jars until the outside of the buds feel moist again before drying further?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

J

jedimike

Nice I'll def try that out. What if I just got them in a room that's 50% RH?

DownShift

Ty, thanks for sticking in there with me, man, I really appreciate it.

This isn't my first run, but I did overdry my first run and ruin the cure, so it might as well be.

the RH in my drying room has been fluctuating. The first day it was about 40%, the second about 55% (rainy day) and today it's about 35%.

THC123

Veteran
i have been curing with the caliber 3 for 2.5 weeks now

when i open the jar the smell isnt so strong , and when i take a bud it doesnt smell as strong as it used to smell on the outside

when i start making a joint and open the bud , the good smell is in the buds

so , is this normal? the joint i smoked wasnt really smooth but it was strong

i'll taste again in one week

btw i am in the 60-61% zone now

C

Casual

THC123, the longer you let it cure, the better it will get.
I used this method with White Widow... wasn't impressed, for a while...
After the minimum recommended 4 weeks, the smell really started to show itself.
After 2 months, the smell would reach up and smack you in the face when you opened the jar! ;) Simon has this method figured out. I'm planning on sticking with it.
It seems that weed is like fine wine, it gets better with age.

Caz

Maripan

"Container Moisture Content"

"Container Moisture Content"

Then we would need a sliding scale, which shows the proper range for curing at various temperature and rH readings. Does anyone have anything like that?

I completely agree that our use of the term Relative Humidity is technically incorrect. You'll get no argument from me. I used RH, because it's something folks have heard and can relate to. We can easily change it to "container moisture content" or any other wording that better describes the process.

Simon

Maripan

The Container Store

The Container Store

I purchased two one gallon jar and one half gallon jar from the Container Store. These are very nice airtight jars.

for those of you using larger size mason jars, where are you getting them? I think half-gallon wide mouth jars seem about right for my use, but am totally open to suggestions.

thanks!