What's new

A perfect cure every time

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Will the rate of reaction not be significantly quicker at 85F as opposed to 65F ? Temps normally speed up actions in the lab.

I'm hoping that folks will take the idea and run a few experiments on their own, then report the results. Personally, I haven't noticed a distinct correlation, but I rarely run the same strains for very long.

Simon

NoRest

Perhaps due to the microcosm of a relatively small enclosed container, a temperature variance doesn't impact the end product as much as one could think. As shown above, a 2F change in temp can manifest itself as a 4% change in RH. On a practical level, IMHE, ambient temperature (within reason) makes no difference relative to the cured product and its measure via a Caliber. Plainly put, one can cure the same strain at 85F and 65F, and rely on the same numerical breakdown.

Simon

I think, no offence intended, that you are misusing RH and maybe confusing it with moisture content.

RH is a ratio of % moisture saturation of air at given temperture. A 2 degree change dosent change the amount of moisture it changes the amount of moisture the air can hold.

Say you had a 100cc glass filled half way with water 50cc or 50% and this glass got bigger or smaller with temperture change. A 2F increase makes the glass 125cc the glass is now only 45% full. The same 50cc of water in a bigger space.

Ideally cannabis should be stored without temp variation as much as possible. I was just offering an explaination for for who see RH change with no tactile change in the buds.

as with any eniviroment dependence on a guage clouds our judgement. We would all do well to remember to check all the data of the situation not just the meter. So RH changed 2-4% do the buds still feel/look the same? Maybe it was some other factor ie ambient temp in the jar rose a few degrees.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I think, no offence intended, that you are misusing RH and maybe confusing it with moisture content.

RH is a ratio of % moisture saturation of air at given temperture. A 2 degree change dosent change the amount of moisture it changes the amount of moisture the air can hold.

Say you had a 100cc glass filled half way with water 50cc or 50% and this glass got bigger or smaller with temperture change. A 2F increase makes the glass 125cc the glass is now only 45% full. The same 50cc of water in a bigger space.

Ideally cannabis should be stored without temp variation as much as possible. I was just offering an explaination for for who see RH change with no tactile change in the buds.

as with any eniviroment dependence on a guage clouds our judgement. We would all do well to remember to check all the data of the situation not just the meter. So RH changed 2-4% do the buds still feel/look the same? Maybe it was some other factor ie ambient temp in the jar rose a few degrees.

That's the entire point of the methodology. The gauge allows one to get a bearing on the curing process. Once a grower knows how the product should look/feel at a given stage, he'll be able to achieve similar results using more intuitive means.

This also isn't to say the process can't be improved. I took it as far as I had to for my own needs, correlating the results with environments conditions over the last 6-7 years. One could certainly take this further. We'd all benefit.

I completely agree that our use of the term Relative Humidity is technically incorrect. You'll get no argument from me. I used RH, because it's something folks have heard and can relate to. We can easily change it to "container moisture content" or any other wording that better describes the process.

Simon

NoRest

That's the entire point of the methodology. The gauge allows one to get a bearing on the curing process. Once a grower knows how the product should look/feel at a given stage, he'll be able to achieve similar results using more intuitive means.

This also isn't to say the process can't be improved. I took it as far as I had to for my own needs, correlating the results with environments conditions over the last 6-7 years. One could certainly take this further. We'd all benefit.

I completely agree that our use of the term Relative Humidity is technically incorrect. You'll get no argument from me. I used RH, because it's something folks have heard and can relate to. We can easily change it to "container moisture content" or any other wording that better describes the process.

Simon

Sometimes my tunnel vision dosent allow me to see the bigger picture. The method you developed is a great way to gather data and consistently cure great buds.

THC123

Veteran
Hey Simon , i have another Q if you don't mind

when we are in the 60-65 zone , do we HAVE to open the jar EVERY day to burp? or can you also do it for example every other day

i would like to slow the process down once i get at 63%

but you say 55-60 = you can close the jar for extended periods without worrying about mold

Of course one day is not an extended period of time, but doing that continiously, so one day open one day closed , will this be risky?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Hey Simon , i have another Q if you don't mind

when we are in the 60-65 zone , do we HAVE to open the jar EVERY day to burp? or can you also do it for example every other day

You don't have to burp it daily. Once the product is stable in a desired range, I like to open the jar about once a week to check on the progression of the cure, though sometimes weeks go by.

i would like to slow the process down once i get at 63%

but you say 55-60 = you can close the jar for extended periods without worrying about mold

Of course one day is not an extended period of time, but doing that continiously, so one day open one day closed , will this be risky?

When I listed 55-60% for extended periods, I meant months upon months at a time. For example, when I store a personal jar with a product that I know won't turn into great smoke for at least 6 months, I try to get it to ~60%. Maybe a touch less depending on its composition.

Simon

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
Hey everyone! So i tested the perfect cure with the small RH meters from ebay. Well i think its not easy to making it perfect from first try, but with some more test i will probably get it as perfect as can be.

sometimes my buds showed 72 RH in the jars while still been dry enough to jar usualy, so i guess i have to quite all my old ways and study this new way of curing.

This time with this technique, the bud reach the jar away more dry than how i usualy did. I can't wait to try again to see the diference..

sire

Hey Simon

Hey Simon

You don't have to burp it daily. Once the product is stable in a desired range, I like to open the jar about once a week to check on the progression of the cure, though sometimes weeks go by.

When I listed 55-60% for extended periods, I meant months upon months at a time. For example, when I store a personal jar with a product that I know won't turn into great smoke for at least 6 months, I try to get it to ~60%. Maybe a touch less depending on its composition.

Simon

simon if u look two pages back i left a message/question for u but u never got back. please check me out but i'll ust copy and paste it right behind this message.

sire

Hello Simon my friend Dave Coulier (sorry if i spelled u wrong my friend) hip my on to ur metod. right now im flowering 3 nebulas, 1 grand daddy purp, 1 white widow, 1 cinderella99 and 1 bubba kush. i would really like to cure this batch right i grew bubba kush and cindy99 the last time there were all sorts of issues: heat (while flowering), then once i harvested i got a big box cut a hole( in the bottom) for exhaust and and a passive hole at the top/side and attached a 10 inch fan pulling air through the exhaust (is this ok) and hung the buds from twine going across in the inside of the box. i let them dry for ten days the cindy99 over dried the bubba was kinda moist so i bought the hygrometers and the bubba was at 65% the ciny99 was at 60% then dropped to 55% and it was pretty much crap. the bubba kush was ok but it was extremely couchlock (i think i let the trichs ripen too much thats another story though) well then i found ur method. im on week 6 for the bubba kush and the white widow. nebulas r 3-4 days behind so i'll keep u posted. oh yeah shout out to simon and dave!

B

bcell

A lot of factors to drying buds... For me, 8-9 days at 55% humidity, 70 F is about right.

sire

Is your question, "Is this ok?"
There are so many variables in what you're asking, and you're not giving many specifics (i.e. how much are you packing in to the box, what temps are in the box, relative humidity of box, how big is the box, etc...). Maybe pictures would help.
Personally I hang to dry in a closet with a fan connected to use as a pull exhaust. Others prefer to lay the buds out on a screen of sorts. As far as other comments on your method of drying, 10 days sounds too long to me but where I live normal outside RH is around 30%. You might live in a more humid area, thus making it take much longer to dry.

yeah i wanna post pics so guys can actually c it. my box is 24 x 27 x 24 rh for my closet the box sit in is usually bout 55%-60% the temp in my closet is between 79 and 82 degrees and i plan on having at least 3 plants in the box drying

sire

i got a weird question i have a bubba kush that developed nice brown seeds only on the lower shoots and the top has little to none at all and none of the other girls has developed them is this common or un common? i thought it was because genetics cuz i have an air condition and temp stays at 75- 79 degrees and i checked for light leaks none what do u think? im not exactly sure because unlike my cindy99 i got this bubba in clone form from a friend. the flowers up top is high resin but the few branches that doesnt get that much light developed seeds good fat brown spotted seeds.

igrowone

Veteran
can't help you on the cure questions, but the seeds down low happens from time to time
you had a few well hidden hermie flowers, pollen dropped and hit the lower branches

sire

this is a much argued point, in my opinion no, but it does reduce quantity, but a small number of seeds is not going to affect much in quantity or in quality

well i harvested those 3 branches 5 days ago they dried for 3 days then jarred em noticed the beans so i tried one branch didnt taste like nothing yet (lack of curing of course!) but im high.... i still have the rest of the beautiful plant in a box 4 total darkness 4am i take her down!

Had an hermie in my last harvest (around the beginning of the flowering).
The plants that got pollinated tasted a bit weird and the hermie plant didn't taste good. Also the smell was probably affected.

Anyway the high was definitely there! :)

After some curing the taste got less weird but not tasty as the less pollinated plants

sire

Had an hermie in my last harvest (around the beginning of the flowering).
The plants that got pollinated tasted a bit weird and the hermie plant didn't taste good. Also the smell was probably affected.

Anyway the high was definitely there! :)

After some curing the taste got less weird but not tasty as the less pollinated plants

have u used simon's curing method?