What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Just wanted to share my opinion after using Calibers 2 times now. I love using them, but my jars are at 60% and personally I think it is a tad too dry. For me, it is good because I vape...but for smoking or selling I think it is a lil too dry. Anyone else think 60% is too dry? They have been in jars for about 2 weeks, and are going through the lack of smell phase. I think I might dry for a day less next time, and bring it down to 65%

I dry in my tent, with my exhaust fan on low. Drying time 4 days about, to get around 60%. Simon, what seems to give you the best results? Thanks!!

How long have you had the product jarred at 60%?

I suggest 55-60% for long term storage, meaning a few months or more. I prefer to cure newly harvested product at 60-65%, depending. Later, if the flowers are to be stored for a long period, I bring the humidity down by a few points. Some of this is personal preference.

Simon

Super.Seeds

ICMag Donor
GHS TW (left) and Chemdog BX#2 (right) getting a perfect cure!

Thanks Simon! I took you up on this great idea and bought six Caliber III hygrometers and six giant half-gallon mason jars. Working great thus far!

SS

slowandeasy

Veteran
Hey Simon,
They have been in jars for about 2 weeks, and are going through the lack of smell phase. I think I might dry for a day less next time, and bring it down to 65%. On average, about how long does it take your strains to cure nicely this way? Obviously strain dependent, just curious. I love knowing the humidity, takes all the guess work out of it...just have to get it dialed in. Thanks

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Hey Simon,
They have been in jars for about 2 weeks, and are going through the lack of smell phase. I think I might dry for a day less next time, and bring it down to 65%. On average, about how long does it take your strains to cure nicely this way? Obviously strain dependent, just curious. I love knowing the humidity, takes all the guess work out of it...just have to get it dialed in. Thanks

Gauging the humidity inside the jar and using the traditional burp method essentially amount to the same thing. The only difference is that you're not guessing. To answer your question, some strains begin to smell better as early as 2 weeks, and others take a lot longer. I have some Skunk47 that hardly smells at all after 8 weeks and I doubt it ever will. Yet, Sweet Seeds SAD or FMS Grapefruit can take on the illusion of a full cure in as little as 2 weeks. It really depends on the strain.

Simon

C

Casual

I received my 1/2gallon jars and 3 Caliber III's yesterday.
After leaving all 3 Calibers sit out over night on the table, here are their readings:

79f 32%
78f 35%
77f 35%

For $15 units, I'm pretty happy with the accuracy. I'll probably split the difference and go right down the middle. I'll shoot for a final humidity of ~63%

After curing for 4 weeks, I'm planning on moving the product out.
Over the course of my next few harvests, I'll be jarring up for longer terms and see what the difference is! ;)

Caz

jump /injack

Veteran
Simon,

Bought a few of the Caliber 111's on Amazon and will try it with some 7 day water cured. Have a Nesco Dehydrator and put the product in at 93 degree's for 24 hours or less then Jar it and breathe it. The Caliber's take the guessing out when it hit the right mark on humidity will vacumn pack it for storage. Usually let it age a year or so, its for just me so I like to do it right. Thanks for the tips.

215 compliant.

dodo5678

squishy squishy

squishy squishy

Just wanted to share my opinion after using Calibers 2 times now. I love using them, but my jars are at 60% and personally I think it is a tad too dry. For me, it is good because I vape...but for smoking or selling I think it is a lil too dry. Anyone else think 60% is too dry? They have been in jars for about 2 weeks, and are going through the lack of smell phase. I think I might dry for a day less next time, and bring it down to 65%

I dry in my tent, with my exhaust fan on low. Drying time 4 days about, to get around 60%. Simon, what seems to give you the best results? Thanks!!

right there with ya bro, this is hands down the best process out there and i love the gauging process, but maybe it is strain dependent? I just know when i used to get smoke in cali it would taste awesome but still be squishy. How the hell do they do that?!?!?! 60% even 55% is cool, but it feels rather dry on the outside kinda crispy, but when i grind it up it's still moist. The day i can produce smoke like they do in cali, i'll feel more accomplished in curing.

simon, what is your thought on this? still all strain or is there something like jarring earlier to help the squishy factor?

thanks,
-dodo :joint:

igrowone

Veteran
right there with ya bro, this is hands down the best process out there and i love the gauging process, but maybe it is strain dependent? I just know when i used to get smoke in cali it would taste awesome but still be squishy. How the hell do they do that?!?!?! 60% even 55% is cool, but it feels rather dry on the outside kinda crispy, but when i grind it up it's still moist. The day i can produce smoke like they do in cali, i'll feel more accomplished in curing.

simon, what is your thought on this? still all strain or is there something like jarring earlier to help the squishy factor?

thanks,
-dodo :joint:

my experience is limited, but i have some results on this topic
i 'cured' some nl#5, but the bulk of the cure was without the caliber(i'm cheap)
but eventually i sprung for a caliber, and saw 46% in the jars
many say this is way too dry, but the texture is fantastic, not dry at all
and the result was dramatic, the pine scented buds became citrus flavored
now same caliber with some PPP, that is at 65%(humid summer partly) after 2 months
texture is no better than the nl#5, but it's a good texture
definitely one hell of a difference between these 2 strains

S

StrayToaster

love this thread Simon..fantastic work on this very important part of the process.Finally tracked down the Caliber's and will be on it when this run finishes....thanks again bro

vicious bee

This is a fantastic thread. I haven't read all of it but have gone through a lot of it. I also studied tobacco curing but didn't reach a conclusion on what to actually do. Most flue cured tobacco uses elevated temps and don't use relative humidity. They use dry and wet bulb temperature differences and I hadn't figured out how to relate that to relative humidity. You've come up with numbers I could use. So I bought a Caliber III. I watered some Blue Streak and then put in a closed room with a dehumidifier. I used the Caliber III to set the dehumidifier to 63% RH. A few days later eureka! I'm very pleased with the finished product. The dehumidifier makes it so even a simpleton such as myself can do it. I also added buckets of water in the room to make sure the humidity didn't fall too far. Thanks simon for the excellent work!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran

I'd shoot for higher humidity inside the jar. Instead of going for 55-60%, I'd aim for 60-65%.

Simon

kobi93

I could do it, but it would take time. ATM, I'm running 11 (yes, eleven) unfamiliar strains and their associated phenos. In about a month, I can start a clone, show how it's trained and pruned, and flower it a couple of weeks later. Then, take pics of the plant every ~2 weeks until harvest. We could also discuss the feeding schedule and the ferts with the idea of keeping everything as simple and foolproof as possible. Is this something that would interest folks?

Simon

Simon,

Your curing method is wonderful, thanks for sharing! I am very curious to learn more about your pruning/LST method to create separate colas--have you considered doing the thread that you mentioned back in April? I would imagine I'm not the only one who would be interested in learning more...

Thanks again!

C

Casual

I agree with Kobi... would LOVE to see a thread on Pruning and Training.

I just harvested a lb and 1/2 or so and have it all drying on sweater drying racks. Should go into jars either tonight, or tomorrow. Can't thank Simon enough for this thread!!!:tiphat:

Caz

dodo5678

Simon,

Your curing method is wonderful, thanks for sharing! I am very curious to learn more about your pruning/LST method to create separate colas--have you considered doing the thread that you mentioned back in April? I would imagine I'm not the only one who would be interested in learning more...

Thanks again!

Agreed!! whatta' say simon?

-dodo:joint:

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I started a clone in late spring for the thread, but things came up and I never got around to it. ATM, I have a backup Chronic clone in the garden that would be perfect for this. It was transplanted over the weekend and it most likely needs 7-10 days before it can be LST'd. Then, it's ~2 weeks of veg before pruning and flowering. I'll take pics along the way and start a thread in about a month.

Simon

jonmac

I read of folk using hygrometers while curing 'crazy' in my eyes coz i dry for a week to 10days usually snap dry then in2 jars which i open twice daily 2let unwanted vapours & odours out ,10-15mins then tighten lid 4another 12hrs ,i usually make it morning & night & in a wk or 2 u'll have primo bud ready 4 consumption,u can experiment i.e 4&5wks or longer till u find u'r desired smoke,well worth a try!!!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I read of folk using hygrometers while curing 'crazy' in my eyes coz i dry for a week to 10days usually snap dry then in2 jars which i open twice daily 2let unwanted vapours & odours out ,10-15mins then tighten lid 4another 12hrs ,i usually make it morning & night & in a wk or 2 u'll have primo bud ready 4 consumption,u can experiment i.e 4&5wks or longer till u find u'r desired smoke,well worth a try!!!

What?

Simon

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
Thanks. The Caliber IIIs are 1x3.75". They can fit into smaller jars.

Simon

i love Opera ,.. Simon 80 out 80 found this helpful,, Is that an IC record?
. I got huge jar with a rh meter in it the size of a 1989 mobile brick, till i get the calibre111 ! LOL.. it still works thanks to your simple tip i am stress free and i can patiently wait.. :)
my new obsession is starring at my jar watching the rh |:)

nvthis

I guess when it's your first post and you forget to actually read the thread you are responding to, it makes you look smarter than you really are?????:jump:

cashmunny

rehydration

rehydration

Maybe this has already been suggested, I didn't read all forty something pages but...

If your buds get too dry and stop curing, why not set up your buds with the ends of the stems in a small dish of water?I would think that capillary action would draw water up the dried stem and rehydrate it somewhat from the inside out.

Latest posts

Latest posts