What's new

A perfect cure every time

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
5ann1e'5 K0 Kush and Barneys Farm LSD. I could send pics of the moms, but that's all there is right now. Air-con going in tomorrow finally.

I haven't grown out either. If the KO Kush is hard and dense, with low leaf content, you may be able to push it out in 3 weeks. It won't have a fully-developed aroma, but it won't smell like hay. Again, I'm just guessing, as I don't know the stain personally.

Simon

jawnroot

Quick question: Once you get down below 65%, do you then leave the jars sealed (i.e., no burping)? I have two, one at 62 and one at 64. I'm thinking the 64 can benefit from some more openings to get it down into range, but the 62 I think is approaching seal zone.

What do you guys think? At what point can you close them up for extended curing? Low 60s? 60 exactly? Fifties??

THC123

Veteran
yeah i was wondering too

when it is at 58 for example , stezms snap , product isn't brittle nor sticky , can you then leave it closed? of still open once per week/month?

I had a mazar that was closed for a week , opened it last weekend and it was great, full of taste and effect , then it stayed closed and 5 days later , yesterday i took a nug out and vaped it , and smell + effect where less + also less smooth , so maybe i should have burped some more?What could have caused this difference?

Also when i open the jar it smelled good, no funny smells , but when i smell a nug i don't smell much unless i squeeze the nug , is this normal , is this cuz the product is still develloping?In total it is one month in the jar

My other jars that just have begun curing and are still a bit moist , smell super dank

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
yeah i was wondering too

when it is at 58 for example , stezms snap , product isn't brittle nor sticky , can you then leave it closed? of still open once per week/month?

Let's look at a specific scenario. Say a harvest dried for a week, went into the jars, the moisture was redistributed and the product was brought down to the desired RH over the course of the following 2 weeks. It remains sealed for ~5 days with no shift in RH. At this point, you can leave it sealed for as long as you like.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Is there any reason I can't do the initial drying quite quickly?

You can hang the flowers in a fairly warm (~85F), low-humidity environment with a slow moving fan blowing on the harvest. Depending on its density, the product can go in the jars within a matter of days to begin curing. Obviously, the quality won't be identical to taking more time, at least in the short term.

Simon

THC123

Veteran
i tasted a sweet jack from karma genetics that cured for 2 weeks

stems still barely snap but boy oh boy what a taste , so smooth and in the throat it feels like mint , very fresh/refreshing

i still have that unnatural sweetness but that is the sweet leaf i used and i won't be able to get rid of that.

the mazar however after 6 weeks in the jar is kinda stale and doesn't taste so good anymore nor does it smell strong , the rh is at 55%
however , the mazar cure was started at 61% RH so not comparable to the sweet jack cure that started at 67% RH

so i only cured one mazar and one sweet jack , the rest is still drying , score is 1-1

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
a quick summary of my first 'all caliber' cure
bud slow dried in air for about 2 weeks, fairly high ambient RH
PPP bud went in and showed 65% in the jar
12 hours later, not good, grassy smell started to show, pulled bud out of jar
did 4 more days of slow drying, good smell came right back, then back into jar, RH around 59%
it's about 2 weeks in the jar after the false start, much improved, RH stayed around 59
buds had a minty skunk odor when they were fresh, pretty different actually
there is still some of that but a deeper aromatic odor has appeared
sweet, maybe some kind of fruit, but no fruit i've ever smelled, and maybe a bit of liquorice
no sign of mold after close inspection
so happy with what i'm seeing and smelling, and very happy i found this thread

THC123

Veteran
Hey simon , is it normal that after 5 weeks cure , the aroma and smell changes?

the smell is still good but it is different then before, it smokes real nice and tastes good , burns evenly i don't have to cough one bit

but in the vaporizer , the taste is less strong as in the beginning , i don't have that fresh in your face aroma anymore

i rather have a deep cheesey smell , nothing weird or stale just totally different (rh was 56%)

i was actually hoping curing would retain the initial aroma and make it even stronger?

Anywho that jar is finished now , emptied it yesterday

Still have one jar of sweet jack left to cure , i'll taste that in about 5-6 weeks

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Hey simon , is it normal that after 5 weeks cure , the aroma and smell changes?

Absolutely. I find that the aroma/smell changes the most during the first 3 months. After that it continues to change, becoming more complex, albeit at a decreasing rate.

the smell is still good but it is different then before, it smokes real nice and tastes good , burns evenly i don't have to cough one bit

but in the vaporizer , the taste is less strong as in the beginning , i don't have that fresh in your face aroma anymore

i rather have a deep cheesey smell , nothing weird or stale just totally different (rh was 56%)

i was actually hoping curing would retain the initial aroma and make it even stronger?

Completely stain-dependent. Some strains, like FMS Grapefruit, develop a very strong aroma over the cure to the point of making one's cheeks pucker. After ~6 months, though, it mellows-out a bit, but does gain some earthyness (if you will) to balance the fruit flavor.

Still have one jar of sweet jack left to cure , i'll taste that in about 5-6 weeks

Rock 'n Roll. :)

vender

37%

37%

Hello Simon, I am at 37% in the jar after 2 weeks. Am I screwed? Smells like cut grass. I think I let them hang to long.
Thanks

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Hello Simon, I am at 37% in the jar after 2 weeks. Am I screwed? Smells like cut grass. I think I let them hang to long.
Thanks

If you're using a Caliber and it's been reading 37% for 2 weeks, the news isn't good. You'll have to wait until next harvest.

Simon

THC123

Veteran
just test vaping one sweet jack nug hehe couldn't resist when airing the jar out

it tastes smooth and good very hazy not fruity like the others.

almost all my buds from this indoor harvest almost make me barf when vaping lol , but this almost 2 week cured bud is pretty good

normally my buds are good to vape even without curing.

But your method made a bad harvest pretty good , too bad only one small plant is in jars

LOL edit

what i actually wanted to ask , the reason for the reply(i drifted off cuz i am pretty high) is , take for an instance that after 4-6 weeks , i have the weed the way i want it.

now I assume the last thing i would want to do is open the jar again when it is at it's perfect point. So what do you do with a jar of perfectly cured weed? Do you divide the content in smaller portions?

because i imagine that if you just take nugs out of the jar , whn you are halfway the nugs could get stale no?(assuming they are already fully cured and you want to keep that taste)

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
what i actually wanted to ask , the reason for the reply(i drifted off cuz i am pretty high) is , take for an instance that after 4-6 weeks , i have the weed the way i want it.

now I assume the last thing i would want to do is open the jar again when it is at it's perfect point. So what do you do with a jar of perfectly cured weed? Do you divide the content in smaller portions?

because i imagine that if you just take nugs out of the jar , whn you are halfway the nugs could get stale no?(assuming they are already fully cured and you want to keep that taste)

As the curing process needs air to continue, you can preserve a given point in the cure by removing the air from the container. A Pump 'n Seal can work well for this and it's a fairly inexpensive solution:

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Though this product does work, its seals leak over time and I'd suggest also vacuum-sealing the container for longer-term storage.

Simon

THC123

Veteran
well thx again for your to the point answers , nice to have someone that knows all the smallest details

:thank you:

jawnroot

Hey guys...I'm working on this cure method now, thus far with great results (Afgoo and Bubba Kush). It took about five days to get them dry to the point of bendy stems. Jarred them up, Afgoo was a bit drier than the Bubba, but both had to be taken out of the jars for a few additional hours. Humidity on both was approx. 65% after the added drying.

From there, I opened the jars for about two hours a day to bring them down even further. Given my ambient humidity, I had to place the jars in front of an air conditioner when they were open, or else the humidity wouldn't lower. I've found that two hours in front of an A/C with the lid open will consistently lower humidity 1% each time.

I did this over the course of a week to get them down to about 58%, then sealed them up. I would have stretched the process over two weeks, but I had to leave town for a week and a half and needed to make sure they could be sealed for that long without issue.

After returning, humidity had stabilized at 58% for the Afgoo, and 59% for the Bubba. Smells are phenomenal, and early tests of the smoke revealed it to be nice and smooth, but still requiring some more time for development.

This is shaping up to be my best bud ever. I attribute a fair portion of that success to this curing method.

NoRest

Great Thread. Thanks Simon for info. Ive used RH meters before but the Caliber is a nice low price item.