What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Palindrome you've been doing a lot of work with led's so I'd be curious to get your take on this article:https://www.gardenmyths.com/18-led-grow-light-myths/

Thats a good question!

I think alot of it is on point, but it's not 100% cannabis oriented.

Why I don't agree on his view no burple, but sure supplements of deep red and blue chips seems to improve flowering. Now I have never grown under burple, but also never seen a compare grow. Where the burple won over full spectrum "white" light

From my own tests with different full spectrum lights, they play a big roll in the terpin production. And as he mentions in claim #13, plants use yellow and green light. But we don't get any yellow and green light, from a burple light as it's made from red and blue diodes.

So growing lettuce - Burple would most likely be great.
Growing cannabis - I strongly belive you will lose some of the terpin profile, if you flower under Burple only.

All in all, not a bad article.

EvergreenState

I think the point he was making about burple is that people see the pinkish/purplish light from most led grow lights and think that is wrong. Most people think a white light is what is best and are not used to the pinkish light, he calls it burple for bluish purple, from leds. He is simply saying that most people are wrong when they think only white light will grow plants and he saying that the burple look will work.
He also said that plants do absorb green and yellow light, I don't think cannibis would be a unique plant where that doesn't apply and that led grow light manufacturers should take that into account when making their light MORE full spectrum.
Thanks for taking the time to read, consider the points and reply. Apprecate it.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You've really got me thinking about redoing my room in the basement. I have exactly zero hours worth of construction experience, so that ought to be fun. Maybe I can pick your brain when the time comes? Because what you've done in that room is I think pretty much exactly what I want to do. It's a 12 x 15 room, and I want to section off the back 5 feet, making the room look like it's actually 12 x 10 instead. Then I'll finally get rid of the tents.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Is this new one going to be in an Art Deco style?

Yes, I am thinking a final cover with mirror ball mosaic

diy-mirror-mosaic-wall-art-turn-a-broken-mirror-into-art-instead-of-throwing-it-away-home-interior-decor-parties.jpg

Okay maybe not, maybe I will just paint it or something.
Have no desided on a final "skin" and it might just be plywood and white melamine.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
You've really got me thinking about redoing my room in the basement. I have exactly zero hours worth of construction experience, so that ought to be fun. Maybe I can pick your brain when the time comes? Because what you've done in that room is I think pretty much exactly what I want to do. It's a 12 x 15 room, and I want to section off the back 5 feet, making the room look like it's actually 12 x 10 instead. Then I'll finally get rid of the tents.

Im no pro at construction either, but I can use my hands fairly well.
I would estimate I use like 10X the time a pro would use, but I have time and I enjoy doing it and see the progress.
Feel free to ask questions, when and if you start your project.

EvergreenState

Im no pro at construction either, but I can use my hands fairly well.
I would estimate I use like 10X the time a pro would use, but I have time and I enjoy doing it and see the progress.
Feel free to ask questions, when and if you start your project.
I do the same thing. 10 times slower and at a 10th of the cost. Contractors seem to think they are worth $100+ an hour and then get aggressive and angry if you question anything they so. Headaches galore with those guys.
Also you get tremendous satisfaction from doing it yourself.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I do the same thing. 10 times slower and at a 10th of the cost. Contractors seem to think they are worth $100+ an hour and then get aggressive and angry if you question anything they so. Headaches galore with those guys.
Also you get tremendous satisfaction from doing it yourself.

I wouldn't do this work for others, for any less either LOL

The misses is a big fan of remodeling TV shows, and I watch some of them with her once in a while. Customers are mental LOL changes stuff up midt way, and wonder why they can't stay within budget. :biggrin:

EvergreenState

My experience has been that the majority of contractors I've worked with, maybe 200 to 250 in my line of work for nearly 30 years, have a racket going. Their scheme is usually to under bid everything to try to get the job and once they get the job they want to do constant change orders and extras that they act like they could have never known they would have come across. Many of which, if they were as experienced and skilled as these guys sell themselves to be, they would have surely known they would run across doing those jobs.
I got to the point where I had to walk them through every single aspect of the job, talk through every step required to do every little thing, record every step on video and then make them give me bids detailing every single thing. Needless to say many of the bids went from maybe one or two pages of purposely very vague, generalizations of the work to be done, to many detailed pages.
I had to watch them constantly. If you walked away they would sometimes purposely damage things and then say, I didn't bid on repairing that. It was a constant fight so I wouldn't get robbed blind. I described my work to someone once as being the guy in the movie who is in the woods surrounded by a pack of wolves and trying to fend them off with a lit branch of wood and all the time moving in a tight circle so one wouldn't bite from behind.
In my experience only about 20% of contractors are honest guys. The rest would take your house, your car, your bank account and your first born if you didn't constantly guard against it. I've seen countless people get absolutely robbed by guys. Old, infirmed, it didn't matter and as a matter of fact it seemed that the elderly were particular targets of these guys. Real crooks I'm telling you.

That cross in the pic looks like straight fire! The c99 I've grown tends to be super frosty like that.howa the flowering time on her?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thank you guys!

@FrozenFire I am not sure about the flower time, it's the first time I run it.
Im thinking it's some where in the range of 9-10 weeks, as it was back crossed with C99 the 2nd time. To shorten down the flowering time from the haze, time will tell how well it worked.

They are about 8½ week in, no signs of ambers from what I am able to see.

I will most likely chop a BLB and a THHxC99 at 9 weeks, and let the rest run till I see ambers or mold.
This round the RH is much better, I have the dehumidifyer running at night. During the day the RH is between 40% along the walls and above canopy and 60% messured between the buds.

BLB

THH x C99 X C99

Palindrome

King of Schwag
C5 Mango

This prolly still got 5 weeks left on her, can't really get close to the C5's and inspect them much.
They don't look super frosty yet, but I expect they might have smaller trichomes. One of the phenos in the middle, looks frostier but also look fluffy, whimpy and decolored by heat stress or something.

The grew closer to the light then healthy is, I call them Icarus :biggrin:

That c99 cross looks chunky! Tricomes can be tricky with regard to size and potency. I've seen some rather potent bud with less frosty appearance. Makes things fun when less frosty bud floors people :biggrin: