What's new

6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP) to Possibly Increase Budset and Productivity of Marijuana

mrrangz

Seems like no one is really sure yet if BAPs have significant value in high quality cannabis production.

It is "thats if your plant is receptive to bap". It aids in many aspects of plant growth. One being plant architecture.

Combined with other compounds makes the effect better.

but as with hats "one size fits all" idea.... this would not apply to cannabis or other plant species............

you need to find the sweet spot :biggrin:

DeceiverZ

Veteran
Bump for an incredible thread guys. Extremely helpful for people like me who enjoy experimenting with these plants.

My experiences with PGR's include the following:

In Flower I like foliar spraying a .01 PPM solution of Triacontanol (dissolved with Polysorbate 20) along with Bio-AG's Cytoplus (sea kelp and micros) in bi-weekly intervals. I also foliar spray with Calcium-25 (also contains Triacontanol) in bi-weekly intervals alternating between these two applications on a weekly basis.

In Veg I also spray Triacontanol at .01 PPM (dissolved with Poly20) at weekly intervals.

I have also been experimenting with regular foliar sprayings of Brassinolide at 0.50 PPM throughout VEG and the first two weeks of flowering. I typically stop after the stretch. Every fan leaf in the garden is praying. It's an amazing effect and I will never stop using it after personally witnessing the change overnight.

These two PGR's alone have changed the game for me.

I have only recently begun testing JAZ rose spray. I'm at exactly the 6th week mark on a 9 week long strain. Today I applied 80 PPM spray of JAZ and will examine in the next few days if this has made any difference. I've grown this particular strain dozens of times so I know it well.

BAP-6 is brand new to me. I haven't yet played with it but will be applying a 100 PPM solution at the 12/12 flip to see if it can indeed cause bushiness/branching. I will be dissolving it into Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) and possibly applying again at the end of the 1st week of flower. The 2nd application of BAP-6 @ 100 PPM will be applied to half the garden to see if there are any noticeable effects.

These are all clones from the same mom and using an Indica dominant strain for the trials.

Any further comments on this BAP-6 regiment is appreciated. Also, for clarification, I'm using the Hanna .5 PPM scale when I describe PPMs.

-DZ

@mofeta i have tried and failed to find an online source to purchase any of the commercial BAP products. if you or anyone else can find a source for any of the commercial BAP mixes, id be greatly appreciative if you could share the source with us.

And BAP is in toxicity category III, while all commercial formulations are in toxicity category II. As long as the proper eye, skin and mouth protection are used, there is no risks when using BAP. BAP is used commercially to grow apples, pistachios, strawberries, melons and many other edibles in California.
mbnutes http://www.mbferts.com/6-BAP-Benzylaminopurine_c25.htm

In Cannabis sativa, cytokinins induce female flowering while gibberellins induce male flowering.

Oxford Journals Annals of Botany Volume 86 Issue 2 (Pp. 211-221) Boys and Girls Come Out to Play: The Molecular Biology of Dioecious Plants by Charles Ainsworth states cytokinins have masculinizing effects...

Plant Breeding Systems by AJ Richards also supports this.

Last edited:

L3G4CY

Hey Shaggy!

Sorry for kind late reply! Yes well I tried the TDZ... and must say that this make the plant go to much crazy. It's like if all potential bud sites were going independent, stretching, losing hold leaves.. wasting lot of evenergy doing so.. Not good for this particular crop afterall... learned to hard way!!

I find out that BAP + TRIA is the thing! BRASS is no good too, make the plant stretch too much.

BAP is really the holy grail of PGRs.. no topping required and big size colas.. been trying on C99, going for Critical RQS now (sativa type grow pheno) expecting magnificent results

PGRs FTW! :)

L3G4CY

Like DeceiverZ said...

Been spraying BAP+TRIA, BAP at 50ppm and TRIA at 20-30ppm

I go SOG 1.5 week clone/veg then switch to bloom right away! Spraying the girls right before switching, 3-7 days.

Few days after BAP application, new leaves forming can look damaged, deformed, burned... but don't worry, this is normal and it will stabilize not long after. Plant will stay shorter, reduce internodes stretches and lose its apical dominance, leaving you with a more uniform and compact structure. Plant will start focus more energy on producing flowers, this can have the potential to 25-60% increase flower production... Trichome production seems to increase as well.

Bottom all, this thing just make your plant looks more efficient and productive, seems to make require less light intensity to reach the same potential. A must try! It is cheap and only require one spray, right before flowering. Have fun!

mrrangz

l3g4cy what concentration did you use for the TDZ?

did u foliar or drench?

and can you please go a little more in detail what TDZ exactly did to your plant.

L3G4CY

TDZ

TDZ

From memory, I sprayed about .1 to 1ppm TDZ, this thing is very potent.

After application, first, plant lose it's apical dominance. Main stem lean on the ground, than secondary shoots go upward, behaving like if they were individual plants.

I did the experiment on a sativa pheno mainly and results were not optimal for the desired goals. Plants were stretching way to much, focusing on stems and new leaves production instead of flowers. The plants were loosing its old leaves prematurely to replace them with new one... all this in flowering stage, which result in reducing energy dedicated to blooming... Bud sites were stretching out of the main stems instead of staying on it, resulting in a massive branching out. If I had enormous amount of light (energy), maybe this could have potentially lead to a massive harvest, but that it not my case. I'm doing SOG on a tight LED light source.. maybe for those who do LST with lower numbers of plants could like it.

Very special looking plants, TDZ made. Would be good to make fiber in textile industry due to it massive branching effect. Other than that, could be interesting to test on indica phenotypes (compacts structure) to make it go more stretching for better light penetration etc.

Have nice time experimenting!

Very potent hormone right here, use

mrrangz

L3G4CY, thank you

if i can give a suggestion/idea. why not root a cutting first (not with TDZ). Once roots are established slice the main stem upwards (not splitting in half but causing injury) and apply TDZ and keep it in a moist environment (DOME).

In theory the action of TDZ might induce callus = roots/shoots.

L3G4CY

Beware of TDZ, I shot clones with it, which I kept for a mom plants (bad idea). Than, clone made of them were not able to root and dying off (rotting stem) after 5-10 days. After a month or so, clone were rooting back again. TDZ is said to be in the Cytokinin hormone family, which are known to repress root formation. Usually, when applying them you get fewer root mass, but big solid trunk roots!

I lost so many time with this hormone (TDZ), it is history now. Also seems to have change de genetic of the mom plant, since all clone were behaving like TDZ treated plant. I heard TDZ doesn't oxide in plant and stay very long.. and may change the DNA, activating/shutting off genes permanently.

I recommend staying with BAP and Triacontanol only. And auxin on the rooting cutting to help at rooting stage.

mrrangz

no dont use it to induce a plant to propagate. spray it after it has roots. but like i said just an idea. i might try out my theory later.

and on the Cytokinin part of it suppressing root formation. Only if your concentration is high will it have bad sides. Roots allready produce cytokinin (keep that in mind) adding more will delay rooting. The Right amount will produce the most interlaced root structure you ever seen.

L3G4CY

Hi mrrangz,

Do you have any background in plant science? You seems to have good knowledge!

About the effects on roots of sprayed plant with 40-50ppm BAP, I noticed the mains root stems to expend larger and some going even green. With lower branching roots, root mass seems smaller.. which in hydroponic not a bad thing I guess since roots get feed plenty. Just make it easier to make the rotations in the 2inches hole pots though.

mrrangz

no background but ive been working with hormones for years.

try a 2:1 ratio bap:auxin 5ppm/2.5ppm i prefer IAA

mrrangz

nice one... around what period? just before the stretch ?
or already in veg as well to get the topping effect?
thx

@ transition to medium which would be day 1 of veg.

the cytokinin will boost the metabolism and the auxin will help release other shoots as if they were all competing for apical dominance.

Topping your plants will also help the cytokinin shine.

don't try it on unhealthy clones

Cayenne

I know mbferts gives an instructional on how to make triacontanol applicable by foliar spray via dissolving tria in the microwave with polysorbate 20, I also know that there was controversy in regard to bioavailability with this process.

My question is, how do you personally dissolve and apply triacontanol?

Last edited: