What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP) to Possibly Increase Budset and Productivity of Marijuana

Rondon

I been using Niyrozime (a high cytokinin kelp extract) with fulvic acid and yucca as a weekly foliar for decades. I know its not BAP but its the only real additive i use besides a base nutrient that puts all the other additives (ive tried them all ) to shame. Its pricey but a quart jar lasts me forever. Its my go to for everything foliar. Its great for getting a compact bushy and very well rooted plant in veg. I use it as a 24 hour seed soak for germination (old seeds almost always germ). I get more females from seed using it. And i spray up to 3 weeks into flowering for earlier faster bud set. I get thicker stronger amd more profuse branching which translates to more yield at a higher quality at harvest. Ive done side by sides with and without this foliar spray over the years (its been on the market since the early nineties) . And i would not grow a cannabis plant without it....ever. The secret to big yields of quality and making low yielding og based gear give up the goods is what you do in VEG. And Nitrozime with a humic/fulvic foliar every 5 to 7 days does the trick.

TnTLabs

I been using Niyrozime (a high cytokinin kelp extract) with fulvic acid and yucca as a weekly foliar for decades. I know its not BAP but its the only real additive i use besides a base nutrient that puts all the other additives (ive tried them all ) to shame. Its pricey but a quart jar lasts me forever. Its my go to for everything foliar. Its great for getting a compact bushy and very well rooted plant in veg. I use it as a 24 hour seed soak for germination (old seeds almost always germ). I get more females from seed using it. And i spray up to 3 weeks into flowering for earlier faster bud set. I get thicker stronger amd more profuse branching which translates to more yield at a higher quality at harvest. Ive done side by sides with and without this foliar spray over the years (its been on the market since the early nineties) . And i would not grow a cannabis plant without it....ever. The secret to big yields of quality and making low yielding og based gear give up the goods is what you do in VEG. And Nitrozime with a humic/fulvic foliar every 5 to 7 days does the trick.

you mean nitrozyme right? from growth technology

Rondon

Nitrozime in America which is Growth Technologies american company is called Hydrodynamics International. Different spelling...same product. The owners of Superior Growers Supply in Michigan partnered up with Growth Technology years ago. They were based in Australia but moved operations mainly to the U.K.

MoPho

A few years back I think I tried it before flipping but a the time I was running way too many strains and don't remember the results. I know you can soak seeds in it before germ and they will all turn out female, neat trick!

I have space for ~4 extra 1-2G dirt plants at the base of my vert, next run I'll do a little experiment with ethylene treating them at different times and see how they respond. As an experiment:
- 1 control plant (no treatment)
- 1 Plant treated 400ppm florel before flip and then at day 7 of flip
- 1 Plant treated 400ppm florel at day 7 and day 14 of flip
- 1 Plant treated 400ppm florel at day 14 and day 21 (my current method)
- 1 Plant treated at 800ppm florel at day 14 and day 21 (I predict too much lower leaf death with this concentration)

Update?

well its an understandable fear but you've been under the wrong impression. BAP is used to grow apples, pistachios, spinach, and other crops regularly

here's the toxocology info on bap
Inhalation, rat: LC50 = 5.2 gm/m3;
Oral, mouse: LD50 = 1300 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 2125 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 1.3 gm/kg;
Skin, rabbit: LD50 = 5 gm/kg;

with a spray solution at 40-100 mg per liter, BAP only shows slight danger to the person working with the solution, and no danger for people consuming crops.

"In acute toxicity studies, N6-Benzyladenine is slightly toxic by the oral route and produces moderate eye irritation; it has been placed in Toxicity Category III (the second-to-lowest of four categories) for these effects. It is of relatively low acute dermal and inhalation toxicity, and is only a slight irritant to the skin; it has been placed in Toxicity Category IV for these effects. N6-Benzyladenine does not appear to be a skin sensitizer or mutagenic.
In a subchronic toxicity study using rats, N6-Benzyladenine caused decreased food consumption, decreased body weight gain, increased blood urea nitrogen, and minimal changes in kidney tissue. It shows some evidence of causing developmental toxicity and maternal toxicity.

Dietary Exposure
Although N6-Benzyladenine has two food crop-related uses (on fruit- bearing apple trees and spinach grown for seed), it is exempt from the requirement of a tolerance because it is a biochemical pesticide used at a rate of less than 20 grams of active ingredient per acre. Therefore, the Agency will revoke the existing tolerance and establish an exemption from the requirement of a tolerance for the currently registered uses of this pesticidal compounds on apples and spinach.
Because the use rate is low and application precedes harvest by approximately four months, the potential for dietary exposure is considered to be negligible.

Occupational and Residential Exposure
Pesticide workers (mixers, loaders and applicators) may be exposed to N6-Benzyladenine during application. Dermal exposure is expected to be moderate to high for workers who open, pour, mix and load the pesticide, and to applicators using hand sprayers and air blast equipment.
To reduce worker exposure, EPA is requiring use of the personal protective equipment (PPE) and Restricted Entry Interval set forth in the Agency's Worker Protection Standard (WPS). Because formulated products that contain N6-Benzyladenine are in Toxicity Category II, use of the following PPE is required: long-sleeved shirt and pants, socks, chemical- resistant footwear, chemical-resistant gloves, respiratory protection devices, and protective eyewear. Although the PPE requirement is based on the acute toxicity of the end-use product, it will mitigate exposure substantially and thus will serve to protect pesticide handlers from potential developmental toxicity effects. Further, the Restricted Entry Interval of 12 hours set forth in the WPS will be required, reducing the risks of post- application exposure to benzyladenine.

Human Risk Assessment
N6-Benzyladenine is of moderate to relatively low acute toxicity, but has been demonstrated to cause developmental toxicity and maternal toxicity in laboratory animals. The potential for dietary exposure is negligible. Applicator exposure and risk of developmental and maternal toxicity will be reduced through use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the Restricted Entry Interval (REI) set forth in the Worker Protection Standard (WPS)."

and here's another link that show the changes made to these limitations:
http://www.epa.gov/oppbppd1/biopesticides/ingredients/fr_notices/frnotices_116801.htm

basically just lessening the restrictions even further. BAP isn't a really dangerous substance, however handling the stock solutions and working solutions could be fairly toxic due to potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide or other caustic chemicals. so there are precautions when working with BAP that have to be respected (skin, eye, respiratory protection when spraying), but other than that, BAP used properly does not have health risks for us.

I'm not saying this stuff is unsafe to use because I do not know but considering it's toxicity level I wouldn't without more studies being done. Just because something is safe for edible plants does not mean it is safe for smoking! There are pesticides approved for fruits and veggies that if you smoke would put you in the hospital with brain swelling! Just saying, that's not a good enough validation.

germinator843

Hello, I've been reading this great forum for a long time, and I've never commented since I do not speak English, so I use the google translator, so forgive if you do not understand it.
I just wanted to comment on my experience with BAP, I've been using it for a long time together with GA3.
Before I used only GA3 4ml / L but in some strains fox tails appeared and if the dose was lowered they did not increase the buds so much, until one day by chance try to lower the dose and use BAP.
The dose, which works best after several years and which I now use with great results, is 100 mg / L of BAP and 3 ml / L of GA3 at 1.6% GIBEMUR (Gibberellic Acid 1.6% w / v Isopropyl Alcohol 97 % p / v).
The fattening and the hardness of the buds is impressive, almost doubling the production.
Spraying is done in the middle of week 5 in a strain of 8 weeks.
That is, when the buds are already formed and the growth slows down, this is very important, so in a matter of a week it is observed that they double the size and remain hard as rocks nothing to see as when GA3 is used alone, that they stay very aired.
And this is my experience.

hyposomniac

Hello, I've been reading this great forum for a long time, and I've never commented since I do not speak English, so I use the google translator, so forgive if you do not understand it.
I just wanted to comment on my experience with BAP, I've been using it for a long time together with GA3.
Before I used only GA3 4ml / L but in some strains fox tails appeared and if the dose was lowered they did not increase the buds so much, until one day by chance try to lower the dose and use BAP.
The dose, which works best after several years and which I now use with great results, is 100 mg / L of BAP and 3 ml / L of GA3 at 1.6% GIBEMUR (Gibberellic Acid 1.6% w / v Isopropyl Alcohol 97 % p / v).
The fattening and the hardness of the buds is impressive, almost doubling the production.
Spraying is done in the middle of week 5 in a strain of 8 weeks.
That is, when the buds are already formed and the growth slows down, this is very important, so in a matter of a week it is observed that they double the size and remain hard as rocks nothing to see as when GA3 is used alone, that they stay very aired.
And this is my experience.

Heck of a first post!
Your final spray looks to have 100mg of bap and 48mg of ga3/ liter.. someone check my math please..

germinator843

So it is friend, the quantities must be very precise, if they exceed we can have unwanted effects, such as foxtails and aerated buds, just 1ml more than GA3 can cause these effects, that's why I prefer the liquid GA3.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Wow, OP is an awesome resource.

Maybe I am making an assumption about cytokinins, but do synthetic 6-BAP and kinetin make a plant react the same?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I'm curious to which costs more. Buying BAP and using it in your commercial grow or germinating a few more seeds? What would be your thoughts if you found your babysitter giving a teaspoonful of BAP to your child? The babysitter justifies her actions as she could make a little more money from doing it.
It's not her child so why should she care? One more seed will always produce more than any chemical growth inhibitors will. It saddens me that this is even a discussion on a ICMAG forum.

By all means let the stone throwing and name calling begin. I will be working on being a better grower with higher quality for my patients.
Peace. MedDakotabis

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
I'm curious to which costs more. Buying rooting hormone and using it in your commercial grow or germinating a few more seeds? What would be your thoughts if you found your babysitter giving a teaspoonful of rooting hormone to your child? The babysitter justifies her actions as she could make a little more money from doing it.
It's not her child so why should she care? One more seed will always produce more than any chemical growth inhibitors will. It saddens me that this is even a discussion on a ICMAG forum.

By all means let the stone throwing and name calling begin. I will be working on being a better grower with higher quality for my patients.
Peace. MedDakotabis

Just changed a couple key words just to show its not that big of a deal...especially if you use iba or naa to root clones;).

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
BombBudPuffa, it may not be I'm no authority on it. Just the thought of unsuspecting people intentionally or unintentionally being given cannabis to smoke that could have unknown effects later on really bothers me. If it was being tested in a lab first without any residual traces. ROCK ON!! Find the magical elixir.
Peace

shaggyballs

Veteran
Farmerlion
If you dont think stuff like this is in bottled nutes, think again my brother.
These are similar to hormones found in kelp, they may even add it to kelp products to boost the action.
Just sayin'

growdontsmoke.l

using the auxin/cytokinin ratio wouldnt seem to induce much upwards growth.
As I am growing outside and am looking to get some 10 footers would adding brassinolide to the equation give them that vigour they need?

I wouldnt consider using GA as it sounds so unpredictable. If anyone has tried and tested a ppm that works I'd definitely consider tho.

Cheers