What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP) to Possibly Increase Budset and Productivity of Marijuana

Greeco

Potassium hydroxide is being used in the formulation to keep the hormones dissolved correct? If there are other reasons could you please share them. Thanks.

omera1

@humbleguy

final conclusion ? increased budset, more resin, increased yield or just stopping vertical growth and nothing more ?

thanks
omera1

Bongstar420

A note

A note

I like to add a note about BAP and sex in Cannabis. I observed a 90% male population after BAP exposure starting at the three leaf stage. I did not observe male induction in already sexually matured females. I havent been able to definitively demonstrate any benefit for using BAP during flowering as of yet however. The young BAP treated plants were quite robust, short, and bushy.

L3G4CY

Interesting thread.. humbleguy do you have a final report of your BAP treated plants? We gotta keep this thread alive!!!

omera1

i asked him per pm....he has also responded, but unfortunately not here in this thread.
I believe it is in the interest of all, so here is the message:

It worked well. I had help formulating it and was not personally responsible for making the stock solution but I know it contained amino acids and some other surfactants. It performed like bushmaster in some ways and kelp in others.... good stuff just make sure you spend the extra money and get it from a reputable supplier like Sigma or you are probably just buying sugar or something.

i hope this is okay for humble...

omera1

I made a couple of thoughts and just want to hear what you think.
i came across a german article. in this article they deaktivated the genes that decrease cytokin levels in plants. the result was much more buds, flowers and seeds.
so i thought how to create this situation without the gene stuff.
the goal is to hold the level of cytokinis on a constant level a bit over normal.
so maybe daily applications of 1-10ppm bap could create this situation !?
with this we maybe can hold the level a bit over normal....
i hope you can follow me, my english isnt so good :)
so what did u guys think ?

here is the link, but its in german. maybe try to translate it with google or something...

http://www.pflanzenforschung.de/journal/aktuelles/ein-hormonschalter-treibt-neue-blueten

Cayenne

I made a couple of thoughts and just want to hear what you think.
i came across a german article. in this article they deaktivated the genes that decrease cytokin levels in plants. the result was much more buds, flowers and seeds.
so i thought how to create this situation without the gene stuff.
the goal is to hold the level of cytokinis on a constant level a bit over normal.
so maybe daily applications of 1-10ppm bap could create this situation !?
with this we maybe can hold the level a bit over normal....
i hope you can follow me, my english isnt so good :)
so what did u guys think ?

here is the link, but its in german. maybe try to translate it with google or something...

http://www.pflanzenforschung.de/journal/aktuelles/ein-hormonschalter-treibt-neue-blueten

the answer to your question is YES. increasing cytokin levels through foliar application will increase flower production; however 1-10ppm BAP seems a bit minimal.

heres a recipe stolen from one of dizzles earlier posts :tiphat:

"Measure out 50ml Methanol
Add 2.000 grams of potassium hydroxide. Wait for complete dissolution. (if its a powder, add slowly. if its a flake, all can be added at once)
Add 2.000 grams of BAP. Wait for complete dissolution.
Add distilled water to 100ml of finished stock solution

End product is 100ml of 2% BAP (w/v). 5ml added to a liter of water will render 100ppm of BAP. 10ml will render 200ppm etc."

Deactivating genes that decrease cytokin levels in plants for the purpose of increasing budset and productivity would be great for the harvest; however, my question is if the gene when deactivated increases bud, flower, and seed production, does the deactivated gene stay deactivated in the next generation of seed starts from the genetically altered plant? with that question in mind and the future of stable genetics at stake i would say that foliar application of BAP would be the choice method for increasing cytokin levels.

Bongstar420

the answer to your question is YES. increasing cytokin levels through foliar application will increase flower production; however 1-10ppm BAP seems a bit minimal.

heres a recipe stolen from one of dizzles earlier posts :tiphat:

"Measure out 50ml Methanol
Add 2.000 grams of potassium hydroxide. Wait for complete dissolution. (if its a powder, add slowly. if its a flake, all can be added at once)
Add 2.000 grams of BAP. Wait for complete dissolution.
Add distilled water to 100ml of finished stock solution

End product is 100ml of 2% BAP (w/v). 5ml added to a liter of water will render 100ppm of BAP. 10ml will render 200ppm etc."

Deactivating genes that decrease cytokin levels in plants for the purpose of increasing budset and productivity would be great for the harvest; however, my question is if the gene when deactivated increases bud, flower, and seed production, does the deactivated gene stay deactivated in the next generation of seed starts from the genetically altered plant? with that question in mind and the future of stable genetics at stake i would say that foliar application of BAP would be the choice method for increasing cytokin levels.

I think BAP is only going to beneficial for plants that are not super short and bushy to begin with. Has anyone ever grown a plant that branches after 5 nodes and will never make a cola longer than 5 inches? Do you think increasing BAP to a plant like that will help it do anything but be undesirably bushy and short?

Oh, and I did observe a high amount of twinning in pollinated BAP treated specimens. It might have just been genetic because certain cultivars do this without treatment.

omera1

I think BAP is only going to beneficial for plants that are not super short and bushy to begin with. Has anyone ever grown a plant that branches after 5 nodes and will never make a cola longer than 5 inches? Do you think increasing BAP to a plant like that will help it do anything but be undesirably bushy and short?

Oh, and I did observe a high amount of twinning in pollinated BAP treated specimens. It might have just been genetic because certain cultivars do this without treatment.

if i understand you right, this is also my thought. therefore i think much lower concentrations than 100ppm are the way to go. with let us say 20ppm i think the bushy/short effect does not occur...

i know this thread is about BAP, but has anyone tried similar applications with kinetin or zeatin? would you expect kinetin to precipitate if it was only dissolved in KOH rather than methanol and KOH?

on phytotech's website that suggest a higher storage temp range (though still well below room temp) for BAP than kinetin. i asked a phytotech rep about this on the phone and they said that although they recommend cold storage, that kinetin solutions should not degrade rapidly (ie at least a few months) at room temp.

in regards to the root zone applications: i have been trying to reconcile the fact that cytokinins are synthesized in the roots and translocated to the shoot, but i've seen some publications that report reduced shoot and overall growth from exogenous root zone applications of cytokinins. any thoughts or clarification?

also, dk, any chance you have or can find and post this article: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07352689009382281

cheers

this is definitely off topic, but seeing as amino chelates were mentioned earlier in this thread i figured i would mention them again. i've heard of the benefits of foliar spraying amino chelated metals, but what about using them in hydro solution or as soil drench? i imagine that soil microbes would utilize the aminos, rendering the chelate metals insoluble (ie adsorbed to soil particle or precipitated).

from mbferts.com you can pick up a KoH 1n solution of the potassium hydroxide, then it is already premixed in a solution. if you take a few drops of that solution then it will dissolve the BAP.

as for making the solution yourself, well thats another story, i am not a scientist, just someone playing with the science.

and i would stick too middle to late flowering applications of BAP. they say you can use it anytime you would use kelp, but with BAP you should be giving in the 10-25 range or lower i would think.

this stuff is concentrated, so be careful with it. or it can seriously dwarf your plants.

D

Dr Stupid

Thanks to Dizzlekush and Humbleguy for their methods.

I used Dizzlekush's formula, and Humbleguy's application recently (completely forgetting to post it here until now).

I tried 200 ppm in veg with no noticeable effects. The veg treatment was on other plants, not the ones pictured below, to be clear.

I then applied BAP at 200 ppm at days 6 and 7, to two equally sized clones. The results were not as pronounced as Humbleguy's, but it had an effect. I attribute the shortcoming to inadequate lighting as these plants were set off to the side. I also did not use a surfactant...

I have since moved them to a friend's house to finish off as they were 5 weeks behind my other flowers. I'll try to get over there and take some photos before they are chopped as they are probably about ready by now.

Here they are 3 weeks in ( 6 weeks ago from this weekend). BAP on the left, control on the right.

picture.php

ttaylor

Hi guys nice thread!!

I've also tried 6bap with ppm ranging from 150 to 750, in all the "trials" the plants were stunted and developed chlorotic leaves, as if there was an iron deficit. It was bought 1 year ago from "plants and stuff", hope it's still good because i will restart experiments :) .

For that i have 2 questions first is why do you recommend methanol instead of ethanol, will it react? I have plenty of ethanol 90% purity and can use, while methanol none.. (I'm not really interested in shelf life!). Second, what really is isopropyl? Is it that liquid that doctors/nurses use to disinfect skin before puncturing with a needle?

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hi guys nice thread!!

I've also tried 6bap with ppm ranging from 150 to 750, in all the "trials" the plants were stunted and developed chlorotic leaves, as if there was an iron deficit. It was bought 1 year ago from "plants and stuff", hope it's still good because i will restart experiments :) .

For that i have 2 questions first is why do you recommend methanol instead of ethanol, will it react? I have plenty of ethanol 90% purity and can use, while methanol none.. (I'm not really interested in shelf life!). Second, what really is isopropyl? Is it that liquid that doctors/nurses use to disinfect skin before puncturing with a needle?

Isopropyl alcohol is just as you said .....drug store stuff.

Latest posts

Latest posts