What's new

5x8 Purpose built perpetual room construction and grow log. 400W HPS NFT gully system

rocket high

Veteran
looking good ...ojk

Thats almost the same as my screen but i used plant support netting from the $ store, mine is suspended from the ceiling so i can lift it as they they grow but it's a lot of weight for my ceiling joists so i might change it soon .

keep up the good work ;)

OvergrowingKiwi

Hey guys

Screen is filling up nicely but unfortunately the plants have come down with some kind of deficiency over the last week. Possibly magnesium. I gave them a foliar feed yesterday and added some epson salts to the res. I've posted a thread in the infirmary.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=193297

picture.php

The beautiful big leaf from a week ago :cry:
picture.php

DUGG

quick guess mate bit of lockout from nitrogen poisoning ...notice how your leaves have that downward facing claw look to them even though some are still green? .... your ph levels etc are ok .... i would start with a fresh res with 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes and add regen-a-root and earthjuice microblast to help aid root repair and get those trace elements/micronutes back into your girls

Two-Dogs

Nice work bro, looked through the whole thread, just gotta say please change your light exhaust so that it pulls the air, it kinda negates the purpose of light cooling by having it pushing, also not really necessary to have the intake low for the light as the air you pull for the light only gets heated by the light and exhausted,(also an advantage if you can avoid bends and have striight flow but not totally necessary) it is however better to have a lower intake to ventilate the room, as you do. HVAC 101 ;)
I notice you studied biology and drafting, we gotta lot in common, I was a horticulturalist for yrs and now an architect, love your re modelling skills too bro, cher!. :)

DUGG

while your at it OGK i would bring that PH level down to 5.5-5.8 see if it helps ..... its makes more of the trace element and nutes avaliable to the plant should help correct the deff quicker

OvergrowingKiwi

quick guess mate bit of lockout from nitrogen poisoning ...notice how your leaves have that downward facing claw look to them even though some are still green? .... your ph levels etc are ok .... i would start with a fresh res with 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes and add regen-a-root and earthjuice microblast to help aid root repair and get those trace elements/micronutes back into your girls
while your at it OGK i would bring that PH level down to 5.5-5.8 see if it helps ..... its makes more of the trace element and nutes avaliable to the plant should help correct the deff quicker

Great advice bro thank you! I've topped up with earth juice micro and tomorrow I will be changing out the res with 1/2 strength grow and some micro. I've dropped the ph down to 5.8 :)

I have seen a lot of journals and this one definitely is a joy to read... keep up the good work
Glad you have enjoyed it :) I've enjoyed putting it together :) looking forward to hopefully making it a complete build-grow.

Nice work bro, looked through the whole thread, just gotta say please change your light exhaust so that it pulls the air, it kinda negates the purpose of light cooling by having it pushing, also not really necessary to have the intake low for the light as the air you pull for the light only gets heated by the light and exhausted,(also an advantage if you can avoid bends and have striight flow but not totally necessary) it is however better to have a lower intake to ventilate the room, as you do. HVAC 101 ;)
I notice you studied biology and drafting, we gotta lot in common, I was a horticulturalist for yrs and now an architect, love your re modelling skills too bro, cher!. :)

I'm with ya bro. Planning to move the fan to pull location soon. It's working ok for now but I think it's more the sheer power of the fan and the length of the ducting. I've noticed when I reposition the ducting I'm loosing airflow. If I get any bends in the ducting I'll run into problems. Reason for the vent being so low is I've got 3 vents on the outside wall and this one needed to be at the right height to hide behind a bucket hehe.

Cool to hear your'e an architect. I've got many friends in that profession and studied towards my degree in a campus full of them. I have the utmost respect for all types of architects and the amount of work that does into their projects is amazing you really have to have a passion for it.

I agree. It's been a very interesting and enjoyable read.
:thank you:

Andyo mentioned my leaf problem could be associated with phosphoric acid based ph down. And it just so happens I've been making do with aquarium grade phosphoric acid for ph adjustment. I won't be using that stuff tomorrow. Unfortunately the only stuff I can find is flariform's ph down which I remember being warned away from...can't remember why. Looks like its citric acid based.

I've decided to flower out the soil motherbush in the back of the room under a 250w hps. I'll be rigging up the shade tomorrow. Should also shed some more light over the screen. 750w of flowering power.. Temps will actually drop as the 250w won't be in the small cabinet anymore and will only be on for 12 hours. She's a serious bush can't wait to show you guys... I'll wait until she's out in the open to take photos :)

Heres some pics of an improvement I made today. Just a small one but will hopefully help me push this hydro kit to it's capacity. Dual air stones in the res.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DUGG

i use phosphoric acid based ph down ive never had any problems ....

the leaf in that last pic deffinatly looks like nitrogen poisening mate green as and clawed down and starting to distort the leaf ....

from memory you are useing that budwiser product? which is a powder mix product? i have never used it but have seen other people burn alot of plants with it i would run that EC lower when they come right mate or change product ..

DUGG

your strain is either a bit nitrogen sensitive or the budwiser has the tendency for nitrogen problems ... when it comes right run your EC 1.0 and slowly bring it up to 1.2 maybe ... just be carefull as your about to switch to flowering any problems will be exagerated

im sure it will come right keep us posted how it goes

OvergrowingKiwi

the leaf in that last pic deffinatly looks like nitrogen poisening mate green as and clawed down and starting to distort the leaf ....

from memory you are useing that budwiser product? which is a powder mix product? i have never used it but have seen other people burn alot of plants with it i would run that EC lower when they come right mate or change product ..

Thanks again for the advice mate.. Definitely getting some clawing. I think the rapidgrow/budwiser range is good but the grow mix is is a little high on the N. My EC was actually relatively low probably 1.1 max before I added the epson salts to the mix which increased the reading by about .5 but I have been generous with the nutrients when topping up lately as my EC was dropping about .2 a night.

Heres my daily pre adjustment readings the fortnight or so as the problem started:

• PH EC
  • 6.1 .75
  • 6.3 .63
  • 6.4 .60
  • 6.4 .56
  • 6.2 1.14 - Reservoir changed
  • 6.3 .88
  • 6.4 .82
  • 6.5 .60
  • 6.3 .69
  • 6.0 .63
  • 5.7 .60
  • 6.1 .62
  • 6.2 .60
  • 6.7 .74
  • 6.6 .77
  • 6.2 1.11 - Added 2 1/3 Tbs epson salts
  • 6.2 1.47
  • 5.8 .95 - Reservoir changed Today Half strength + micro

I've changed out the res with half strength grow and half strength EJ micro. The micro had a great ph effect and dropped the ph of the solution from 7.9 to 4.8. I brought the reading up to 5.8 with tap and a little ph up.

The earth juice says on the bottle it's great when used with synthetic nutrients to stabilize the mix.
so as of this moment my new res is 5.8PH .95EC
I noticed the water was taking longer to drain through the gullies so I've increased the slope on the gullies by about 2 inches.

I now have the complete EJ range so I'm going to start feeding the soil mother on it.

Will keep ya posted :)

picture.php

DUGG

awesome mate your onto it! should recover pretty quickly as it hasnt gone too far

those ph reading were a bit high there 6.5 etc if you had you base ph set at 5.5 to 5.8 your ph probly wouldnt have risen so high ... at 6.5 the plant is unable to take up some of the trace elements... anything over 6.0 your not getting any cal or mag in hydro .. in soil you can get away with a higher ph

on another note im lovn the dual airstones they look like there gettting plenty of oxygen in there ... +1 point for the aviators in there too hahhah

Last edited:

BCity

Nice to see another kiwi rocking a clean tidy grow , after seeing your ph meter I just had to have one, it arrived today so cheers for that OGK, I have been rocking Blue Mystic for 6 cycles and have had just one show blue pheno's, Hope you have more success
Chur.

:gday:Just finished reading the whole thread.

A very well planned and executed diary---both the grow room build and the grow itself. Much appreciated is the amount of photos of all the different stuff going on....it combines well with the words and helps make this diary more entertaining and educational...a picture is worth 989 words:artist:

Will be trialling cork as a way to reduce fan noise.:thank you:

That earthquake in The Shaky Isles was big......as was the aftershock.

Subscribed:lurk:

Andyo

Veteran
More slope

More slope

Ive had a slope of 1 inch in 1ft before. channels draining into a central gully probally best ever yield n quality.A

OvergrowingKiwi

awesome mate your onto it! should recover pretty quickly as it hasnt gone too far

those ph reading were a bit high there 6.5 etc if you had you base ph set at 5.5 to 5.8 your ph probly wouldnt have risen so high ... at 6.5 the plant is unable to take up some of the trace elements... anything over 6.0 your not getting any cal or mag in hydro .. in soil you can get away with a higher ph

on another note im lovn the dual airstones they look like there gettting plenty of oxygen in there ... +1 point for the aviators in there too hahhah

Ph still sitting at 5.8 plants are looking a lot healthier.. less clawing more pointing :)

Nice to see another kiwi rocking a clean tidy grow , after seeing your ph meter I just had to have one, it arrived today so cheers for that OGK, I have been rocking Blue Mystic for 6 cycles and have had just one show blue pheno's, Hope you have more success
Chur.

Another kiwi!! hehe soon we will have the contingent of kiwis we had on overgrow. These meters are epic. The guy even has replacement probes too. Blue mystics an epic smoke.

:gday:Just finished reading the whole thread.

A very well planned and executed diary---both the grow room build and the grow itself. Much appreciated is the amount of photos of all the different stuff going on....it combines well with the words and helps make this diary more entertaining and educational...a picture is worth 989 words:artist:

Will be trialling cork as a way to reduce fan noise.:thank you:

That earthquake in The Shaky Isles was big......as was the aftershock.

Subscribed:lurk:

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the read. It's a crazy when I look back at the thread it really has turned into a book lol.. Best of luck with the fan noise :)

Ive had a slope of 1 inch in 1ft before. channels draining into a central gully probally best ever yield n quality.A

Can't wait to see this yield.. will be my biggest so far for sure.

heres some more pic's I took while smoking up in the growroom. I'm running out of room in there and have to crawl around lol I've installed the 250w hps regular shade over the mother so I have 750w of flowering power. I've switched to fluorescent lights for the mother/clone cab as it's much more power efficient. The 4 month old mother has over 100 bud sites easily as it's been topped/tied down repeatedly. It's going to explode hopefully. I'm going to wait a few days before making the switch and make sure the lockout is completely gone will also trim below the canopy on the scrog. The mothers getting fed on the complete earth juice range so it's going to be organic :)

2 lights :D
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hard to get it all in one frame so did some panos.

picture.php

picture.php

prowler

Nice room!

I suggest you get yourself an adjust-a-wing when you have the chance and get rid of that "comes with the tube" reflector. You can easily mount it to cooltube. You will not regret it.

rocket high

Veteran
wow they have had a good burst in growth the last few days huh... so lowering your PH has sorted the deff problems out i'll keep that in mind for my next grow ... has your roots made their way into your res yet..they alway's do that in my nft but as long as they dont make their way into your pump it'll be fine :)
good luck OJK ;)