What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

205w LED vs 400w HID Let the battle begin!

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
How long are you gonna veg them for?

This is gonna be interesting for sure. It seems like all the LED threads I've seen that aren't micro grows, the people veg out a larger starting plant under hid/cfl before throwing them under the leds.

Can't wait to see how this turns out with this smaller starting size.

How much does Urkle stretch under flowering?

I have not decided yet on how long I will veg, Probably not to long considering how thick urkle grows, Light penetration will be a definitive problem if over vegged.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
ahh screw all the haters blaze, theyre just jealous. ive watched enough of your grows to know that you will pull all this together and shut people up in no time. keep rocking, and i know you will provide an impartial comparison between the two lighting systems. sheesh people just love to hate at any chance they get!

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
what up blaze? shit been following you since the OG daze, I know your shit will be done proper. 1 question for you. Have a buddy looking at the 126 and the 205 that is really scared of ambient temps going up too high from these LEDs. How hot or how much heat does the 205w LED actually produce in your opinion? I remember when people told me t5s would be so cool and when i got them in a 2x4 tent they were hot as fuck and I had to start all over basically. Just really wanted to know how much heat a 205 put out is all. Cant wait for the finish here. Nothing but love. peace and smoke

G

grumblez

haters suck...just had to deal with one myself up in here..

keep it coming man, LEDs are the way of the future.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I always enjoy when the plants look horrible at the start and people drop in to spew how horrible they look lol, Makes that lovely healthy finish that much more satisfying.

The thing is, I am a grower been doing this for years, I do not have to start with 100% healthy clones which are solid green in order to produce a crop.

I can turn crap clones into beautiful bushes in no time, So stick around there and watch how these horrible clones become beautiful little bushes.

Fair? I have vegged plants under hps, warm floro's, cool floro's, mh, you name it, If these leds cant veg a plant then whats the point in using them?

Some of the best harvests I've seen have come from scraggly nasty looking plants at the beginning. Treat them right and you'd never know the difference at the end. Thanks again for doing this, glad to see an experienced grower doing an actual comparison! :)

LEDGirl

Veteran
The lights are currently 24" above the plants I will lower them over the next couple days, Gonna give them time to adjust before pushing the light in on them.

For future reference, our lights should never be used more than 12" above plants, even for new clones or seedlings. It will dramatically reduce performance and growth. Please adjust our LED to 6-12" when you have a chance. Thanks Blaze, and I look forward to following your progress.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always enjoy when the plants look horrible at the start and people drop in to spew how horrible they look lol, Makes that lovely healthy finish that much more satisfying.

The thing is, I am a grower been doing this for years, I do not have to start with 100% healthy clones which are solid green in order to produce a crop.

I can turn crap clones into beautiful bushes in no time, So stick around there and watch how these horrible clones become beautiful little bushes.

I find this to be very true. very few growers can have "mastered" plants the whole cycle. and as you said yellowed clones can come back very strong given time.. is there any hit on yellowing clones? I'm not sure I can say any real difference

I love growing for the fact I'm a perfectionist down to the smallest thing, and love trying to get a plant as "perfect" as possible.. one of my favorite areas of learning is nute def's

have fun, and I think everyone is looking forward to this grow..

D

Disguised

Telling blazeoneup that his plants are yellow is like telling Gene Simmons what to do with a room full of pussy :wave:

MeanBean

I aint hatin, I can't wait to see this grow. Just noting the plants are a bit yellow, not that you cant fix er up.... No doubt Blazeone can swing a grow stick.

This is one excellent test, side by side, I looking at doing my first grow in next few weeks, now i will wait and see what light to go for if this led is as good as the old school,

I learnt so much off reading your posts already, cheers blazeoneup

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
For future reference, our lights should never be used more than 12" above plants, even for new clones or seedlings. It will dramatically reduce performance and growth. Please adjust our LED to 6-12" when you have a chance. Thanks Blaze, and I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks I'll do that, Yes I am aware leds do not have the penetration power of an hid light, I have also read post in which you reccomended the 6-12". I keep all lights high when I transfer fresh rooted clones from hydro to soil helps ease the transition for me.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks good blaze! - i wish i had as much headroom as you - i bet the plants love those tall pots/bags.

hehe i wait eagerly for my clones to start turning yellow because it usually means they are making roots ;)

cheers

V.