What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

205w LED vs 400w HID Let the battle begin!

Open Eyes

Nothing to do with haters at all.

Where is the evidence? 1 picture in 7 pages so of course you are going to get comments like that.

I am even inclined to think that you are getting light leaks onto your LED side from the picture you took.

Hardly scientific this thing of yours.

I think LED's are just another gimmick to try and sucker people out of money for useless and far inferior equipment. Looked at the prices of LED light lately?

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Nothing to do with haters at all.

Where is the evidence? 1 picture in 7 pages so of course you are going to get comments like that.

I am even inclined to think that you are getting light leaks onto your LED side from the picture you took.

Hardly scientific this thing of yours.

I think LED's are just another gimmick to try and sucker people out of money for useless and far inferior equipment. Looked at the prices of LED light lately?

When did anyone mentioned scientific? This is no science experiment lol, This is a test grow and nothing more or less, You inclined to make assumptions based on a picture you seen, fact is your as lost as a 4 year old trying to find waldo in a where is waldo book.

I'll go snap pics tonight this time I will turn the led side off, then you can play like a 4 year old and point out the light leaks. Seeing as how there is no light leaks, You may come out empty handed.

Yeah it's 7 pages and just getting started, Sorry my threads move so fast, I guess your used to starting threads and posting the whole grow, before getting a single reply.

Here give this a nice big kiss :moon:

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
yea i think the prices are a little outrageous, but you know this test may shut people up on either side of the debate, or people will still yell and scream that leds are the wave or the future, or that they are bogus, so lets see whats going to happen.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
yea i think the prices are a little outrageous, but you know this test may shut people up on either side of the debate, or people will still yell and scream that leds are the wave or the future, or that they are bogus, so lets see whats going to happen.

I see yours and others points when it comes to cost, However I am not the manufacture or owner, I have no say over the prices and to be honest, Thats not even a concern of mine. I am only doing a test grow to see how it compares to a 400.

Is led worthy or not is the only question on my mind. You know the deal always gonna be some unhappy and some happy.

AOD2012

Veteran
yea i agree with you blaze, im just here to see how the leds perform vs. the hps. all these threads are popping up saying this is the best, and the other side saying no its the worst, and i personally dont have the time to do my own side by side test, and im very confident that you will will finally shed some light on the situation. so good growing, and im gonna be here for the show.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
blaze1 is a proven grower, and he's got the setup for a good side by side. The thread already has >100 replies because people know it's going to be a good show and are looking forward to it. The people that are put off by the initial price of LEDs are short sighted. You have to look at the electricity usage down the line, and the impact of not replacing your HID bulb every 2-3 grows.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey blaze, nice to see a side by side grow on these led's. I'm very sceptical on the whole led front so far, not so much on the tech side but the cost per bud side of things. And the fact that it seems you need to do a scrog in order to get the best out of them. On the other hand Im constantly watching the led threads and waiting to be convinced about them as I'd love to switch to a decent lighting system that puts out less heat and equal results. I have to agree that a few pics to show things moving along on a week to week basis would be good, but I do know that it will be a fair test and a decent show once they start rocking. So I'm tagged.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
keep at it blaze,dont let the troll bother you...why is it always some new member thats so hateful? thanks for doing this for all of us,troll boy will go away on his own....

AOD2012

Veteran
i wasnt trying to be a dick, ive been for all this thread since it started, im very interested in how everything is gonna turn out, i just thought these were pretty expensive, and i know you dont care blaze, i was just making an observation, sorry if i came off like i was being a troll

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wasnt trying to be a dick, ive been for all this thread since it started, im very interested in how everything is gonna turn out, i just thought these were pretty expensive, and i know you dont care blaze, i was just making an observation, sorry if i came off like i was being a troll
oh sorry on my part too,it just seems like lots of folks attack these LED threads for no good reason,HID's and cfls and all the other lamps have there detractors too,at one time they were new tech too!! look at cd players,they were thousands of dollars at one point,now you can get one in just about anything for cheap,people should give them a chance and not be negative about it,my observation was more about never seeing any members who have been around for a while making any negative comments about them,constructive critisism is one thing,but some of the trolling is just silly,once again,I apologize if i came off as attacking you,wasnt my intention,or soap boxing in someone elses thread...

:blowbubbles:

AOD2012

Veteran
first time i smoked in two months, i guess i just got a little paranoid, feel like im in high school again in the cafeteria after a session and feeling like everyone is staring at me. haha sorry for jacking your thread blaze, cant wait to see whats gonna happen!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of you know I am using a UFO 90, supplemented with CLFs. Over the weekend I moved the 4 light vanity fixture (900 watt equiv) a lot closer to the LED side in order to add more light.

The LED haters are mos def not stealth growers. They have an entirely different situation: most are using multiple 1000w HIDs. This thread really isn't for them.

I have been doing a lot of reading about HID/CFL/LED. Some guys are reporting best results mixing LED with HPS. From what I am learning and seeing in my own grows, I want some alternative lighting below the canopy TO ACHIEVE MAX YIELD, but personally, I won't go through an oz of quality pot in a year, and the weed I grew strictly under my UFO 90 has been highly praised by pro smokers. I say- LEDs already rock! and yet they will get better.

If you think LEDGirls lights are exp, G2 sells a 100 watts for $1300!, however, their bulbs are said to be full spectrum white, and they say they can tailor the spectrums to fit mj.

More reasons for LEDs: It seems you don't get a decent light spectrum under HID until a minimum of 600 watts, and even then, you have to know which bulb, which ballast, and which hood- that gets expensive. This could explain why I never got much of yield from my 400.

Assuming the above is true, then if anyone really cares to show a more heads up LED v HID then the LED wattage (300?) should be comparable to a tricked out 600.

So blaze on, blazeon.

NAD

Looking forward to the results. I have always used HIDs and have had GREAT results. Although heat and cost of electricity have always been issue. I'm doubtful of the effectiveness of LED. I'm sure they grow something, but I can grow buds on a windowsill, not that the buds would be great. I'm not a stealth grower, I'm not looking to do a micro grow etc. I run 2 430w, they get very hot in the summer.
I really do want to be believe, I would love a alternative. I am still skeptical. Can wait to see the side by side.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
NAD consider using one 430 and a couple LEDs during summer. Not sure which woud go where. But you can vegg under LEDs then add the 430 once you flip, or even later, say the last half of 12/12. I don't think you would lose too much yield-wise.

G

grumblez

Hey folks...I use LED with CFL for vegging and everything is good on my end...

I just installed some RGB LED strips to cove lighting in my basement (the crown moulding has the strip behind it and the light beams from behind it through a gap between the crown and the ceiling).

I am thinking about taking 5m of this stuff, all powered off of 12VDC and LINING my small grow space with it...set to blue for veg...set to red for flower...and white in between...anyone ever thought of this?

-Grumblez

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just got my 205w blazeone,cant wait to get that baby fired up and ready to go and see what i can do with it,loving the set up you have going here.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
i just got my 205w blazeone,cant wait to get that baby fired up and ready to go and see what i can do with it,loving the set up you have going here.

Thanks for the kind words man, Post a link to your thread here in mine if you would like, I'll be sure to check it out.

Is it just me or is this guy claiming I have light leaks full of shit? Can you see the light leaks he is talking about?