What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2017 tester run - KC x Zamaldelica fem

Old Toker

Even packed in "tightly".....the girls look great! :tiphat:
I thought that one of the reasons most people that grow inside in troughs usually use clones is so that they finish at the same time.
Questions for you: Are you going to flush your plants before harvest? If so....how/when will you handle the three girls in the trough? With your growing medium is it even necessary? NOT that I'm questioning your judgement....just thinking (and typing) out loud. :)

deepwaterdude

Even packed in "tightly".....the girls look great! :tiphat:
I thought that one of the reasons most people that grow inside in troughs usually use clones is so that they finish at the same time.
Questions for you: Are you going to flush your plants before harvest? If so....how/when will you handle the three girls in the trough? With your growing medium is it even necessary? NOT that I'm questioning your judgement....just thinking (and typing) out loud. :)

Yep, that would've been smart, but that's not my style;) this is my first trough-grow, so not yet trough-certified, trough, trough... I just miscalculated madly:) I will need to flush the medium, so you bring up a good point, but I'll stick with What me worry? I'd rather fade them a couple a bit early than harvest green. With my 2 waterings a day or your 74, they'll be clean in a week, supposing the medium is exhausted, and done when they're done. They can fade until they drop all their fans, which your super sativas might do.

Yeah, out of laziness and maybe complacency I don't feel like moving everyone right away. Maybe tomorrow;)

Old Toker

With my 2 waterings a day or your 74, they'll be clean in a week..
I've actually been meaning to ask you about this. Do you flush (plain water) as often as you feed? What Ph do you prefer during the harvest flush? Obviously I've been thinking about this for myself and thought that after you give me bad advice perhaps someone else might weigh in with something helpful. I'm sure not planning to flush 74x a day.:)
Yeah, out of laziness and maybe complacency I don't feel like moving everyone right away. Maybe tomorrow;)
I hear you Scarlett. How similar do you think the girls in the trough seem? Sorry can't remember all their names. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

I've actually been meaning to ask you about this. Do you flush (plain water) as often as you feed? What Ph do you prefer during the harvest flush? Obviously I've been thinking about this for myself and thought that after you give me bad advice perhaps someone else might weigh in with something helpful. I'm sure not planning to flush 74x a day.:)
I hear you Scarlett. How similar do you think the girls in the trough seem? Sorry can't remember all their names. :tiphat:

It looks like there are two more sativa expressions and one puffball. So the more sativa might like less anyway at puffball harvest, just to prevent reflowerings. And it's Dolores.
I don't flush until end in coco unless pH needs correcting and this mix is buffered. In soil, definitely a flush before flower and 2 weeks before harvest. In hydro, one week fades things fast. Some plants'll keep going for weeks inexplicably. Hopefully someone will read that, tear his hair out and give you the right info. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Morning, folks,
they're looking/smelling good at 4 weeks "12/12".... I'm starting to do more frequent/less abundant waterings, maybe 3x day at this vigorous stage of flower. I have also just ordered some Advanced Nutes Sensi A+B for coco as I'm out of Floranova Bloom. I've been wanting to try a coco specific nute system beside Canna and AN has some big fans in the coco growing thread. And a million detractors;)

Buddler

Veteran
I have also just ordered some Advanced Nutes Sensi A+B for coco as I'm out of Floranova Bloom. I've been wanting to try a coco specific nute system beside Canna and AN has some big fans in the coco growing thread. And a million detractors;)

DWD are you kidding now you have to run the full line and cost u thousands for pretty artwork on the bottles...LOL Jking. I use sensi for coco thats it got exc. low ppm tapwater and I can say I love the shit but keep er on the downlow to avoid the BS..:) between 2 to3 mils per litre for my Sats..I looked on Ebay for those spiders only found chandeliers.hope u don't mind the pic,Malawi grown in coco sensi bloom..for coco:tiphat:

Last edited:
G

Hey DWD,I've used sensi A+B,as buddler says ignore the instructions and go by EC and by eye,but you would anyway;)
Buddler,check for e27 to 7 e27 :)

deepwaterdude

31 days since flip - some closeups

31 days since flip - some closeups

hey, fellas,
@OT, I really don't know what my scheme will be. I may turn the blumats back on as an experiment... I think the trough stays very wet at the bottom. I usually water first thing, but held off until afternoon today and they were very stinky and happy looking.

I think they're doing well, maybe not absolutely loving the PK or the high EC for extended periods, but responding to it nonetheless. I backed off to 1.8 while they're getting supplements. Can't wait to try the sensi;) Thanks for chiming in on that fellas. How high did you go EC-wise with that Malawi? Looks like a huge yield and killer smoke.

First are Beast and 5-top who are starting to widen. ZamTam also is in a new phase of flowering, and I need to get her two front tops under better light. Lady Straight looks and smells phenomenal and may be the source of the maddening fruit i smell when I water. Miss P could easily have had the tent to herself and filled it with her golf ball buds. She risks to be massive and her blue colors and curly hairs remind me of the KC pics on the website.
Here dey is.

Attachments

• 5-top1.jpg
    5-top1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5-top2 close.jpg
    5-top2 close.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Beast Day31.jpg
    Beast Day31.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Beast close-and cat hair cameo.jpg
    Beast close-and cat hair cameo.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01640.jpg
    DSC01640.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 14
  • Zamtam starting to fatten a little.jpg
    Zamtam starting to fatten a little.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Lady S's cola.jpg
    Lady S's cola.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Lady S close.jpg
    Lady S close.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 8
  • Miss P top close.jpg
    Miss P top close.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Lower Miss P looking very KC.jpg
    Lower Miss P looking very KC.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 17

Buddler

Veteran
Time flies all nice the stretchy one is going to be a spear and frosty.Thanks for sharing.Bud

deepwaterdude

Made a move-looks good

Made a move-looks good

Time flies all nice the stretchy one is going to be a spear and frosty.Thanks for sharing.Bud

I've got my eye on her too, very nice fruity bouquet, thanks Bud;)

Alrighty, so i chose option 2 and moved Beast and 5-top out of the tent, pulled the trough to the center and spread out the nappy heads. I opened ZamTam and Miss P way up, took out the spiders and lit up the 600w. Should be plenty o' light and now much less complicated in there, better circulation. Easier to reach under them, too, for watering and blumat maintenance.

Beast is under 2 spiders at about 4-7 inches off the tops, while 5-top is under my LED panel at around 16in. It has a perfect 2x2 footprint for one round plant like her. So space abounds for everyone, heat is minimised and considerations like watering, checking for nanners, etc, are much easier.

Today was their last feed with FloraNova, Great White, liquid Koolbloom and some calmag. pH 6.1, EC up there @1.9-2. I will reduce the EC for the first days of Sensi. They've been self pruning bottom water leaves to the tune of a couple per day, so I relieved them of the majority that were way below light penetration. No biggie for them, I think.

Here they is. Going to pick up new nutes and some RO water.

Attachments

• This light scheme will change.jpg
    This light scheme will change.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Beast.jpg
    Beast.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 5-top.jpg
    5-top.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Soothed:soothing canopy may 8.jpg
    Soothed:soothing canopy may 8.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 13
  • MUCH better use of space + light distance.jpg
    MUCH better use of space + light distance.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Now only 3 plants.jpg
    Now only 3 plants.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Lady S-better light.jpg
    Lady S-better light.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Rt side.jpg
    Rt side.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Sexy gambas.jpg
    Sexy gambas.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 13

Old Toker

Are those bricks you have along the side of the trough?
As usual.....great pics.....the girls look healthy. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Are those bricks you have along the side of the trough?
As usual.....great pics.....the girls look healthy. :tiphat:

Mornin', OT... Those are bricks that I use to keep the soft sides of the trough from dumping the medium. I'm flushing for a couple of days before starting the new Sensi routine. According to EC of runoff, the girls in the trough still have a lot of food in there, but it's flushing pretty fast thank god. 3 gals not as hot. I think the trough girls could/would be more vigorous with better, well, growing skills;)

Old Toker

According to EC of runoff...
How do you measure the runoff? I read somewhere that with coco you have to use a "slurry" test to get an accurate number. Don't ask me how to do it.....my eyes started glazing over after the second or third sentence of the instructions....and I don't measure my runoff. Perhaps with your weird coco mix that doesn't apply? Did you notice any sign that there might be a problem that caused you to test the runoff....or is that something you do routinely?
I think the trough girls could/would be more vigorous with better, well, growing skills;)
The girls are fortunate to have you....even with all your limitations. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

How do you measure the runoff? I read somewhere that with coco you have to use a "slurry" test to get an accurate number. Don't ask me how to do it.....my eyes started glazing over after the second or third sentence of the instructions....and I don't measure my runoff. Perhaps with your weird coco mix that doesn't apply? Did you notice any sign that there might be a problem that caused you to test the runoff....or is that something you do routinely?
The girls are fortunate to have you....even with all your limitations. :tiphat:

Hey, OT, I think heat is an added consideration to the "slowdown" I attributed to overfeeding.

I may have to cooltube the 600w, which I might as well as I'm running the exhaust. As to the slurry test, I didn't know and that reassures me a bit;) I usually use my EC pen to measure it after collecting last 1/2 gal separate from the first bit of runoff. Maybe not as chock full of stuff as it seems. I'll continue flushing another 24 hrs.

I just threw another spider onto the Beast, so she's got three, and plenty light now @ 270w. I put another 5 bulb spider in the tent front left, so there's two with the 600. 5 weeks flower today and going along. 5-top looks beefy;) Calyxes swelling on all, first brown hairs on the more indica. Pics soon.

Old Toker

Hey, OT, I think heat is an added consideration to the "slowdown" I attributed to overfeeding.
Are you having heat issues? How are you cooling your grow room?
It reached 93 here today and my window banger managed to keep it below 71 (dark) in the tent. RH% stayed in the high 50 low 60% range.
I may have to cooltube the 600w, which I might as well as I'm running the exhaust.
I understand the cooling benefit of the CoolTube....but how much light do you lose and how can you touch the actual bulb with sensitive parts of your body?
As to the slurry test, I didn't know and that reassures me a bit. I usually use my EC pen to measure it after collecting last 1/2 gal separate from the first bit of runoff. Maybe not as chock full of stuff as it seems.
Brother....you still don't KNOW. Don't rely on the memory of an old stoner....errrrr....I mean Old Toker. Measuring your runoff with an EC pen may well be accurate. Knowing what/how much your plants are taking in definitely sounds like a good idea. Just didn't want you to make any nute decisions on inaccurate information. I was just passing on something I remembered....maybe remembered.....and possibly understood....partially understood....perhaps possibly, partially understood.
I just threw another spider onto the Beast, so she's got three, and plenty light now @ 270w. I put another 5 bulb spider in the tent front left, so there's two with the 600.
They should definitely have enough light!
5 weeks flower today and going along. 5-top looks beefy;) Calyxes swelling on all, first brown hairs on the more indica. Pics soon.
You know the "rule": Without pics it didn't happen. :tiphat:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
This is of course my pleasure, Dubi. One good turn deserves another;) The Sour Diesel I had the other day was very nice, so I have been salivating over this cross, and the Malawi x PCK, nice strong hybrids.

Here they are 22 feb, 1, 2, 4 are one week, 3 is 5 days or so, 5 is 3 I think. Soil is too acidic; I pHd the runoff and it was at 6.1-6.3, so I need to correct their soil up a bit. Could be why they look so light green, or not;) Just gave them a bit of Great White with their water and got it right at 6.8.

Syd, did yours look like this little?

I'm excited about the batch64 coco mixes I found. Last two pics are their ingredients. I will mix 1/1ratio. + top dress with the heavier one from time to time. They'll be auto-watered with the blumat system, just pHd RO.

*In other news, hugely impressed with the screw in LED grows, spugg, Terp and other's. I finally cracked the diffusers off the 6 I have and wow, they are bright as hell for the little things they are (14, 15 and 17watt "bulbs"). I think I'll set them up in the tent for veg;) I'll take a pic when they're up. Need another 4-6 of these for my 3x3 (correct me if wrong), then I'll put my LED panel 2 ft above the canopy so they'll get added spectrum. That compact Malawi and Zam grow with these convinced me.:biggrin:

what watt leds? and spectrum? 2700k? 5000k? lumen?

deepwaterdude

what watt leds? and spectrum? 2700k? 5000k? lumen?

Welcome, Medfinder - the LEDs are all 100 watt equivalent "Daylight" spectrum bulbs; spectrum varying from brand to brand from 5000 up. Here's a list of brands and wattages:

Great Value 14w lumens 1450
Phillips 14w lumens 1450 (not a fan of these)
Great Value 15w lumens 1550
GE 16w 1550 lumens
GE 17w lumens 1600 (higher wattage GEs provide great light, but are very expensive and have annoying plastic distribution rings on the led face.)

The GVs are my preferred: inexpensive (Walmart brand) and provide very intense white light with a good diode distribution scheme on the faces, unlike the Phillips, for example, where diodes are clustered to one side of the board. I try to get bulbs for 5$ or less per to keep the price of each spider to around 50$. I do not feel the need to fill the spiders completely as the 7 bulbs are pretty closely spaced. I usually go 5 or 6 bulbs each unless the spider is supplemental, in which case I'll fill all 7 and lift it for distribution.

Enough! This morning I'm getting a good vibe from the plants as EC falls even further. It just may be that the girls in the trough are enjoying the soakings/leechings. Who doesn't love a good leeching? Today's hiccup; power was out for a few hours this morning so they got turned on at 10 instead of 7:30. I'm hoping they consider it a cloudy morning. Anyway, as EC falls so quickly with each soaking with pHd rainwater, I'm inclined to believe there was a load of excess "stuff" in there, to be scientific, and the flush is a good idea. The 3 gals' runoff shows 500ppm less than the girls in the trough who'll get one more swim. Excited to give them some new nutes tomorrow
:woohoo:
They're very stinky these days, especially ZamTam who is fruity as sweet tarts. I hope she bulks up a bit/keeps flowering. She's a very low producer as yet, one reason I thought they might be getting locked out. Plenty to be happy about nonetheless.
:biggrin:

gorilla ganja

Thanks for the detailed info on the lights. Just bought a bunch of 60 w equivalent bulbs for a buck a piece 9.5 w and 800 lumens. Guess I should mix them in with some brighter bulbs for better effect. I was wondering which ones to get the 100 w equivalent bulbs can be up to $20 bucks each.

Peace GG

Latest posts

Latest posts