What's new

1989 NL 5

T

TheForgotten

Jordan of the Islands has 20th+ generation NL, and after having grown it out, i can attest that the look and smell is what i remember NL to be here in the PNW in the 80's, where it originated. Possibly find a similar pheno by growing out some beans....
.jordanoftheislands.ca
https://jordanoftheislands.ca/product/northern-lights/
picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Beautiful plants Icon :biggrin:

Well I won’t be hunting through empyrean’s line. I contacted them about their seeds and they were completely rude and unprofessional. I’ve never experienced anything like it to be honest. I won’t be giving anyone that treats new customers like that a single penny, no matter what genetics they might have. I’d rather go without lol.

Soooo ... the search continues! Glad to see there’s other options out there. This thread is super helpful, I want to say thanks to the OP and everyone contributing here, great thread filled with valuable info.

Props :tiphat:

Last edited:

q3corn

Well I won’t be hunting through empyrean’s line. I contacted them about their seeds and they were completely rude and unprofessional. I’ve never experienced anything like it to be honest. I won’t be giving anyone that treats new customers like that a single penny, no matter what genetics they might have. I’d rather go without lol.
Now that's a damn shame...

Jordan of the islands sounds promising...

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice pics! I love that purple male. Those are small plants, were those flowered from clone? How'd you like the smoke?

so looking at my own pics i realize i actually had 6 males & 4 females but in the group pic i only showed 4 males & 4 females for some reason...im feeling a bit confused right now lol The males were very vigorous they were all dropping pollen only 2 1/2 weeks into flower from 12/12!
I remember i grew these in the winter so they came out a bit purple i believe from lower temps 65*-70*F,
1 male plant expressed a lot of purple while the other 4 were slight purpling & 1 stayed fully green i used all 6 males for the offspring.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

no single pic of the all green male cause who cares lol

I grew these from seed & just flowered them small because it was just for reproducing some seeds for myself & the person who sent them to me & recognizing the different expressions & terps in the line so i know what to expect when i grow them out for a stash run.This strain was one of the most vigorous strains i have ever grown & super easy to grow. It was a nice fairly potent high mostly felt in my head & the high was fairly clear. I'm sure it would a lot more potent without the seeds in the bud but even seeded it had good potency i really cant remember what it taste or smelled like though i wrote in the bodhi info exchange thread that the males & some females had a faint fruity almost berry smell when i rub on the stems but i dont recall them coming out quite like that in the end.....im going to have to run some in the near future to jar my memory lol. :biggrin:

Last edited:
T

TheForgotten

I'm sorry if i'm jackin this thread....
I started this strain because i loved NL 5, i remember it as super-elite, equal to Roadkill Skunk, and i'd love to find something similar. i found JOTIslands cause he's local to me, i've never met or spoke to him/them, i have no vested interest here, but i am impressed so far.
I need some time to let the buds dry properly and cure a tiny bit, but....
The indica dominant pheno is really potent, burns like hash, i cut these plants at it's very earliest window and a joint set down burned for more than 3 minutes without being touched, dried in 5 days.... i have it curing/drying now, give me a week....
The sativa dominant pheno gummed up the scissors trimming dry every 5 grams or so

Last edited:
T

TakenByTheSky

My bodhi NL5 male has started to auto flower. It was in veg on 24 daylight for like 3 months under LED in a small pot when it started. To me that doesn't seem like a true auto flower to start after so long. I don't have any experience with autos does this sound like an auto flower to you guys?

I don't think this would be the best male to make more seeds with, I guess the hunt will continue.

I've never heard of true NL having autoflower issues, does anyone know more about this?

Happy Times

My bodhi NL5 male has started to auto flower. It was in veg on 24 daylight for like 3 months under LED in a small pot when it started. To me that doesn't seem like a true auto flower to start after so long. I don't have any experience with autos does this sound like an auto flower to you guys?

I don't think this would be the best male to make more seeds with, I guess the hunt will continue.

I've never heard of true NL having autoflower issues, does anyone know more about this?

Maybe the small pot had an influence on making it flower too?

T

TakenByTheSky

Maybe the small pot had an influence on making it flower too?

I was thinking that, it is not currently root bound but it was kept in a beer cup for a long time until it showed sex. This was my first time using LEDs and it seemed to take way longer for my plants to show sex.

Green Santa

it is not the LEDs, also if you kept it in a beer cup for a long time, and you say it is not root bound right now, what size container do you have it in? 3 months in and I d have that plant in a 10 gallon pot. Anyway LEDs if anything will flower sooner than any other lights, that is if you have the right kind of LED. That said, some plants are just harder to keep in veg whether they have more autoflowering genes or not I do not know but I do not bother with those...

T

TakenByTheSky

it is not the LEDs, also if you kept it in a beer cup for a long time, and you say it is not root bound right now, what size container do you have it in? 3 months in and I d have that plant in a 10 gallon pot. Anyway LEDs if anything will flower sooner than any other lights, that is if you have the right kind of LED. That said, some plants are just harder to keep in veg whether they have more autoflowering genes or not I do not know but I do not bother with those...

I've been using cheap LED grow lights from Amazon and home Depot. Moving them to a larger pot would have made them grow faster but they weren't suffering at all and we're green and very healthy despite the small grow space. I was setting up a new grow and it took a little while to acquire everything, so I had to keep plants small while ingot set up. They've all been in 6" square pots for about a month, I can grow a pretty big plant in a 6"

JetLife175

Veteran

Sounds like it flipped because of the small pot from your description.