What's new

1989 NL 5

T

TakenByTheSky

Thanks, maybe I'll clone it and see if it does it again.

I know sweet pink grapefruit is another strain that flowers when root bound but isn't an auto.

T

TheForgotten

Thanks, maybe I'll clone it and see if it does it again.

I know sweet pink grapefruit is another strain that flowers when root bound but isn't an auto.

Exactly! I had the SPG cut a long time and I would always run into this issue.

A lot of Spice of Life genetics trigger quickly, it takes just days for them to sense the change, this can lead to some triggering from events, such as irregular light cycles, being rootbound, etc...

T

TakenByTheSky

Exactly! I had the SPG cut a long time and I would always run into this issue.

I just got the SPG clone, I got a whiff of it before I got cuts in someone else's garden, what an unbelievable grapefruit smell.

SPG was supposedly found in a tray of NL clones, so possible it's of NL lineage.

T

TakenByTheSky

A lot of Spice of Life genetics trigger quickly, it rakes just days for them to sense the change, this can lead to some triggering from events, such as irregular light cycles, being rootbound, etc...

It's the sweet pink grapefruit, I had the same issue with sweet tooth #3

T

TheForgotten

Me too....
I have a Sweet Tooth #3 that got regular light for 12 of it's 18 hours and lower level incandescent light for the other 6 for 5 days last week week and look at what it's doing
picture.php

T

TakenByTheSky

That's very common with swt3. I've always kept small mother plants and when I was growing swt3 I could never keep a mother. The problem seems to be worse in swt3 than it does in SPG. I have 4 or 5 SPG plants in beer cups getting pretty big and have not had an issue yet.

Last edited:

Happy Times

Heard that about Blueberry too

Makes sense from the plant point of view- if running out of space to grow, time to flower and try to reproduce!! Wouldn’t surprise me if that was a common effect of being rootbound

JetLife175

Veteran
Heard that about Blueberry too

Makes sense from the plant point of view- if running out of space to grow, time to flower and try to reproduce!! Wouldn’t surprise me if that was a common effect of being rootbound

Its definitely a common issue. Some seem to respond quicker than others, like SPG. My shoreline Skunk does the same exact thing. I rarely run her, and have had to keep a mother in a 30gal pot just to make sure it doesn’t start flowering on me.

q3corn

Well I won’t be hunting through empyrean’s line. I contacted them about their seeds and they were completely rude and unprofessional. I’ve never experienced anything like it to be honest. I won’t be giving anyone that treats new customers like that a single penny, no matter what genetics they might have. I’d rather go without lol.

Soooo ... the search continues! Glad to see there’s other options out there. This thread is super helpful, I want to say thanks to the OP and everyone contributing here, great thread filled with valuable info.

Props :tiphat:

Your comment piqued my interest. After thinking they were gonna be jerks to me too, I reached out to empyrean 2 weeks ago. I had an ok exchange with them. Not a lot of back-and-forth, but they were responsive. Person on the other side seemed busy. I'm hoping your interaction was rare. I bet the 4/20/2020 influx of orders coupled with the mail being slow had them dealing with a lot of impatient people. I'm really sorry you had a bad experience, and if it were me, I'd probably have written them off as well.

I got my order in the mail yesterday, less than 2 weeks after placing it. Pretty good considering everything. Faster than a GLG order. Got a pack of the NL blvd, which is [NL5 x (NL5xNL2)] F3. It was a little cheaper than their Bx project and I thought some more NL2 genetic influence would give me something a little different.

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but I found Melvenetics "The North F3" at GLG if anyone is interested. It's an 89NL5 x (89NL5 x 90's Sensi superskunk). Not as pure as Empyrean or JOTI, but it's available state-side from a very reputable bank.

Anyway, when I pop these seeds I'll definitely be doing an open-polination of what I find, get me a bunch of F4's. I'm glad these strains are being preserved in some capacity.

OZZ_

Veteran
Your comment piqued my interest. After thinking they were gonna be jerks to me too, I reached out to empyrean 2 weeks ago. I had an ok exchange with them. Not a lot of back-and-forth, but they were responsive. Person on the other side seemed busy. I'm hoping your interaction was rare. I bet the 4/20/2020 influx of orders coupled with the mail being slow had them dealing with a lot of impatient people. I'm really sorry you had a bad experience, and if it were me, I'd probably have written them off as well.

I got my order in the mail yesterday, less than 2 weeks after placing it. Pretty good considering everything. Faster than a GLG order. Got a pack of the NL blvd, which is [NL5 x (NL5xNL2)] F3. It was a little cheaper than their Bx project and I thought some more NL2 genetic influence would give me something a little different.

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but I found Melvenetics "The North F3" at GLG if anyone is interested. It's an 89NL5 x (89NL5 x 90's Sensi superskunk). Not as pure as Empyrean or JOTI, but it's available state-side from a very reputable bank.

Anyway, when I pop these seeds I'll definitely be doing an open-polination of what I find, get me a bunch of F4's. I'm glad these strains are being preserved in some capacity.

Q3corn- that’s good. I’m glad things went well for you. To be honest, it seemed like the person on the other end was just super stressed out about the COVID situation, which is understandable. I wouldn’t care at all if they didn’t want to do business at this time, but you need to express that then lol. I’m not psychic I can’t know what’s going on with your company unless you communicate it properly.

I simply emailed them about their NL strain, they said they would send me a price list and the email made it sound like they would do it immediately. When I didn’t get it I simply DM’d them again asking if they were going to send the list, and I get a response chewing me out saying I was not being respectful during this crisis. *shrugs*

All I did was ask for the price list, Not really sure what their deal was but there was a lot of ego involved. They basically insinuated that no one else has real NL and good luck trying elsewhere. I ended up getting some of Bodhis line the next day.

It’s all good though, I’m sure they are a fine seedbank and this is not the norm. After all we were/are in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. I’m going to assume they had personal issues going on, after all we are all human. That being said, I won’t use them after that kind of treatment ... but I’m going to lean to the glass half full side of things and assume this was an isolated incident. Water under the bridge :tiphat:

T

TakenByTheSky

Noice!! Any other grow details you can give?? Any sensitivities at all? How is she growing for you overall? Like I said I scored some of these so looking forward to having them onboard

No real sensitivity they've been pretty easy grow so far and the yield looks like it's going to be pretty good.

These are just small plants but I have like 6 other strains in flower and these are far more developed than all of the rest.

I started 3, 2 females one male. The male started auto flowering after a looking veg in a tiny pot so I threw it away. Female 1 is a bean pole, no branching at all and hates being tied down, it will break free from anything and go right straight again.

Female 2 in the picture has nice side branching and took well to LST, however it didn't stretch much.

Both have piney smell, #2 will be the one I keep, I hate single cola plants with no branches and thick leaves even tho the quality looks good I just hate plants like that.

Bodhi did these as open pollenation so my understanding is phenos will be all over the place.

OZZ_

Veteran
No real sensitivity they've been pretty easy grow so far and the yield looks like it's going to be pretty good.

These are just small plants but I have like 6 other strains in flower and these are far more developed than all of the rest.

I started 3, 2 females one male. The male started auto flowering after a looking veg in a tiny pot so I threw it away. Female 1 is a bean pole, no branching at all and hates being tied down, it will break free from anything and go right straight again.

Female 2 in the picture has nice side branching and took well to LST, however it didn't stretch much.

Both have piney smell, #2 will be the one I keep, I hate single cola plants with no branches and thick leaves even tho the quality looks good I just hate plants like that.

Bodhi did these as open pollenation so my understanding is phenos will be all over the place.

Outstanding.

Thanks for the info. I might have to pull these out of the seedbank sooner rather than later.

T

TakenByTheSky

Bodhi NL 5, smells piney and turns purple. Not quite as beautiful as some modern hybrids but has a nice piney smell.

picture.php