What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12.8 amps too much for 15 amp circuit?? how to install new circuit?

Man i have this nice room but i can barely pump anything out it. basically it has 3 outlets in the room, i checked the breaker and see nothing that indicates there is more than 120v 15 amp breaker connected to that room.

so basicaly i have

400 watt HPS lamp - 3.7 amps
Dehumidifier model AD400 - 2.15 amps
6in exhaust fan - .97 amps
10x24x CFL bulbs @ .44a each - 5amps
2x oscillating fans ???no idea how many amps

so damn im at like 12.8amps which seems kinda high...worried about burning the place down.

so looks like i really need to add a new circuit. good thing is that the breaker is literally on the opposite side wall as this room. so i can drill a hole in the wall and run a new 15 amp circuit in there and it would solve my headaches.

question is, i have on idea how to get a new 15amp circuit. the subpanel on the opposite side wall has an extra 15amp slot already installed in there, that is suppposed to power some outside outlet that never gets used. so i need to reroute it somehow...and then i could just go to OSH or home depot and buy those outlets myself and install them somewhere.

i really need some help you guys! any places to look for DIY info.

ive been looking online at DIY and i think im just too much of a stoner to do this. tempted to just hire someone and risk compromising my grow its only a 400 watt 4x4 tent and a few shelves of CFL for clones. i just want to add another 15 amp circuit so i can another 200 w worth of CFL lighting.

I would definitely not recommend doing it yourself. there are lots of electricians who can get the job done simple. If you do mess around with it then make sure that you turn off all the breakers before tinkering. unplug the old wire from the circuit u dont want any more or if you have room in your breaker box just add another breaker switch and circuit. Also instead of running all of those floros why not just get a 600 and call it a day at 4.5 amps but more lumens :2cents:

I

Iron_Lion

Technically you should never exceed 80% of 15 amps which is 12 amps.

I honestly dont see the .8 of an amp being too big of a deal, I wouldn't push your luck any further but I think you'll be ok. Worst case scenario the breaker will run a little warm.

Pakrat

If you have a spare unused 15 amp in the sub, re-route and re-distribute your load and call it a day. Better yet, hire an electrician or at least get a friend who has a safe working knowledge of electricity. You can’t mop this one up if ya get it wrong :). I’m not an electrician, so be safe. I cringe when I think of some of the mistakes I could have made due to a lack of knowledge while working with high currents in the past. 15 amps can definitely kill you.

jm420

Veteran
You should be fine I can run 3 400's plus a fan and air pump and never tripped the breaker

jm420

Veteran
If you can get to the box no problem its easy as pie, some romex a 20 amp breaker and a couple outlets your good to go

Pakrat

If you can get to the box no problem its easy as pie, some romex a 20 amp breaker and a couple outlets your good to go

I think his current setup is fine, but pardon me jm420, but your advice seems flawed and that’s how :bump: Fires Start! Someone with more knowledge, please chime in and correct me if I’m off, but he said he has a spare 15 amp circuit and you just told him to run a 20 amp breaker. From where, exactly? There are many other factors to consider before a trip to the home improvement store.

MIway

Veteran
Why make it any more difficult than it needs to be... new breaker & line & all... just buy a HD extension cord and then run it on a different outlet on a different breaker. Easiest/cheapest route available... besides just pushing the 15 on the single, which might just work. Fire it up & if it trips... run a cord to the deuy or the main lamp.

jm420

Veteran
repace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp its 1 screwon breaker 1 screw on bus bar black to breaker white to bus bar. install 20 amp breaker with I believe its a 10-2 romex could be 12-2 but i prefer 10-2 cuz you can run a 40 amp 220 with it.Now the OP coudld just diconnect said 15 amp breaker and run 1 romex wire to the 15 amp breaker problem solved but take into con sideration the load factor to a single outlet runiing on 15 amps .6 outlets on a single 20 amp breaker can be safely done Open up the panel its easy to do if you have a little common sense and can read.If the op has no hands on skill or dosn't feel comfortable doing this he should get an electrician.But all in all its about a 20 minute job

jm420

Veteran
Why make it any more difficult than it needs to be... new breaker & line & all... just buy a HD extension cord and then run it on a different outlet on a different breaker. Easiest/cheapest route available... besides just pushing the 15 on the single, which might just work. Fire it up & if it trips... run a cord to the deuy or the main lamp.
Extension cords are the thing to watch for a fire hazzard Not that I havn't used them but they are scarier than doing it right

I

Iron_Lion

repace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp its 1 screwon breaker 1 screw on bus bar black to breaker white to bus bar. install 20 amp breaker with I believe its a 10-2 romex could be 12-2 but i prefer 10-2 cuz you can run a 40 amp 220 with it.Now the OP coudld just diconnect said 15 amp breaker and run 1 romex wire to the 15 amp breaker problem solved but take into con sideration the load factor to a single outlet runiing on 15 amps .6 outlets on a single 20 amp breaker can be safely done Open up the panel its easy to do if you have a little common sense and can read.If the op has no hands on skill or dosn't feel comfortable doing this he should get an electrician.But all in all its about a 20 minute job

No offense but if you don't know what you are talking about you really shouldn't give advice, especially with electrical that's how people burn their houses down by taking bone-headed advice like this guy gives.

NEVER replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker, 15amp circuits have 14 gauge wire, 20 amp circuits have 12 gauge wire. Running too many amps thru an under sized wire can cause the wires to heat up and cause a fire.

30amp breaker 10 gauge
20 amp breaker 12 gauge
15 amp breaker 14 gauge
*NO EXCEPTIONS*

Running wire isnt rocket science but you can still get hurt or start fires, if you are uncomfortable doing this please call a professional.

No offense but if you do not know what you are talking about you really shouldn't give advice, especially with electrical.

NEVER replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker, 15amp circuits have 14 gauge wire, 20 amp circuits have 12 gauge wire. Running too many amps thru an under sized wire can cause the wires to heat up and cause a fire.

30amp breaker 10 gauge
20 amp breaker 12 gauge
15 amp breaker 14 gauge
*NO EXCEPTIONS*

I AGREE

jm420

Veteran
I never said "replace a breaker .I did say replace it with a 12-2 wire and20 amp breaker ,since the box is close so read a little more
The op has a few options .

Replace 15 with a 20 run 10-2 all set whats the issue,The op says its thre w the wall or close.Run the 12-2 if no plans of an upgrade

jm420

Veteran
If you have acess to a pannel ,and a clue,l the limits are end less/.; Please donbt take my words for granted its not easy a little shcooling and knowledege makes it easy for some hard for othersI can wire a 100 amp sub pannel and pass inspection .Thats the way to go IMO but the op is having probs with 15 amps .Btw Never had a fire or close .common sense if you can do it safe do it .if not hire someone
peace

guys, you can run 15 amps on a 15 amp breaker if it stays on, all day every day. for the sake of operation lets just say 14.9 amps ALL DAY. okay? the weak link here is going to be the terminal on the breaker, so the breaker will trip a million years before the wire gets hot enuf to damage the insulation.(if the breaker is working properly and DOES NOT SAY FEDERAL, SYVANIA, OR ESPECIALLY ZINSCO on it!) If you have a bkr that says it's good for 75C instead of 60C, then you are good for 20A on a 14g wire. but then, if you have a motor load, or a continuous load (all your lites), THEN you have to derate the ampacity to 80%. AT which time you take 80% of 20 (for 14g) NOT 15!

i just had this discussion with another member who retired as an electrician. these common household ckts are ALREADY DERATED when they say you have to protect them with 15, 20 and 30 Amp breakers. the NEC assumes that Joe Homeowner or joe potgrower, is going to "overload" his ckts so they put this limitation on the breaker size to keep everybody from burning their houses down.

if you are worried about the temp of the wire, just grab it and see if it's hot. if it is then you have too much current going thru it. notice i said HOT, NOT WARM as anything with current flowing thru it will be warm.

and iron lion, there are exceptions i assure you. i have my 12g wire protected by a 25A breaker because i tripped my 20s. however i have my wire in pipe just in case. but please note 12g wire is rated for 25amps, just like 14 is rated for 20. just because you have to protect, normally, 14 with a 15A bkr and 12 with a 20, does not mean that the wire, in these cases (same with 30A on 10g wire), is only good for that amt of amps. one more thing you need to know, MY breaker size VIOLATES the N.E.C.! i just did it because i KNOW the capacity of the wire. and fyi, it has been working wonderfully for over three years. i dont trip my breaker, my wires are not hot, and i am able to sleep at night. reason being, IF my wires were going to an Air conditioner or a motor, my breaker size would be perfectly legal for the amt of amps i'm running thru my wires, because i would be allowed to use one of those exceptions i am referring to.

another thing you can do try is just load the ckt till the breaker trips and remove something till it stops tripping: good to go. but you really need to get an ammeter on that wire just to be sure that your breaker is working properly if you do this. or any other monkeying around trying to get around that 15amp limit. and i would also think twice and definitely check amperage if i had my wires running thru wood framing instead of in pipe. shit in pipe i can melt the fuckers and not give a damn.

I

Iron_Lion

guys, you can run 15 amps on a 15 amp breaker if it stays on, all day every day. for the sake of operation lets just say 14.9 amps ALL DAY. okay? the weak link here is going to be the terminal on the breaker, so the breaker will trip a million years before the wire gets hot enuf to damage the insulation.(if the breaker is working properly and DOES NOT SAY FEDERAL, SYVANIA, OR ESPECIALLY ZINSCO on it!) If you have a bkr that says it's good for 75C instead of 60C, then you are good for 20A on a 14g wire. but then, if you have a motor load, or a continuous load (all your lites), THEN you have to derate the ampacity to 80%. AT which time you take 80% of 20 (for 14g) NOT 15!

i just had this discussion with another member who retired as an electrician. these common household ckts are ALREADY DERATED when they say you have to protect them with 15, 20 and 30 Amp breakers. the NEC assumes that Joe Homeowner or joe potgrower, is going to "overload" his ckts so they put this limitation on the breaker size to keep everybody from burning their houses down.

if you are worried about the temp of the wire, just grab it and see if it's hot. if it is then you have too much current going thru it. notice i said HOT, NOT WARM as anything with current flowing thru it will be warm.

and iron lion, there are exceptions i assure you. i have my 12g wire protected by a 25A breaker because i tripped my 20s. however i have my wire in pipe just in case. but please note 12g wire is rated for 25amps, just like 14 is rated for 20. just because you have to protect, normally, 14 with a 15A bkr and 12 with a 20, does not mean that the wire, in these cases (same with 30A on 10g wire), is only good for that amt of amps. one more thing you need to know, MY breaker size VIOLATES the N.E.C.! i just did it because i KNOW the capacity of the wire. and fyi, it has been working wonderfully for over three years. i dont trip my breaker, my wires are not hot, and i am able to sleep at night. reason being, IF my wires were going to an Air conditioner or a motor, my breaker size would be perfectly legal for the amt of amps i'm running thru my wires, because i would be allowed to use one of those exceptions i am referring to.

another thing you can do try is just load the ckt till the breaker trips and remove something till it stops tripping: good to go. but you really need to get an ammeter on that wire just to be sure that your breaker is working properly if you do this. or any other monkeying around trying to get around that 15amp limit. and i would also think twice and definitely check amperage if i had my wires running thru wood framing instead of in pipe. shit in pipe i can melt the fuckers and not give a damn.

Good luck with your homeowners insurance after an electrical fire when they take a look at your wiring and see it is way undersized for the size amp breaker you've got going. I am a licensed professional and the rules are there for a reason, just because a breaker will hold it's maximum doesnt mean it is a good thing to do and I wouldn't advise anyone to follow what you said above.

If you want to run the risk of burning your house down be my guest but lets have some common sense when handing out advice here. The only acceptable exception to wire sizing is to is to over size the wire, and that's it.

And just an FYI, I have seen a 20amp 120v breaker pull a full 19 amps and not trip but the breaker was red hot, not good.

WHY PUT YOURSELF AT RISK IF IT IS JUST AS EASY TO DO IT RIGHT?

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Technically you should never exceed 80% of 15 amps which is 12 amps.

I honestly dont see the .8 of an amp being too big of a deal, I wouldn't push your luck any further but I think you'll be ok. Worst case scenario the breaker will run a little warm.

This is 100% correct. I am a licensed electrician in the state of California and like Iron_Lion said, you should never exceed 80%. As a professional I would advice against doing so. However when searching for circuits using my amp probe I have come across some amazing stuff. You are far from any "real" danger. I would say you are good as is, but if you ever expand further you are pushing your luck. :)

Good luck with your homeowners insurance after an electrical fire when they take a look at your wiring and see it is way undersized for the size amp breaker you've got going. I am a licensed professional and the rules are there for a reason, just because a breaker will hold it's maximum doesnt mean it is a good thing to do and I wouldn't advise anyone to follow what you said above.

If you want to run the risk of burning your house down be my guest but lets have some common sense when handing out advice here. The only acceptable exception to wire sizing is to is to over size the wire, and that's it.

And just an FYI, I have seen a 20amp 120v breaker pull a full 19 amps and not trip but the breaker was red hot, not good.

WHY PUT YOURSELF AT RISK IF IT IS JUST AS EASY TO DO IT RIGHT?

This is also the worst case scenario, but very possible especially when caught with plants.

I have seen a 20amp breaker hold 30amps during a demo job powering a jack hammer. That doesn't mean that it is safe by any stretch of the imagination.

Bullfrog44

Veteran

I believe this to be untrue. Can you site a specific code from the book, or is this bull? Also, I just browsed square D's website and find nothing related to this. Everything I have been taught tells me different.

Latest posts

Latest posts