What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Soulfly's Grow Spot~

ConceptOfSleep

Yoooo Soulfly! whats up bro?

I havent been around in a while, but Im glad to see you still got these MKs up and runnin... I see you took a little hiatus like I did (Broken hand, didnt flower soon enough, got mites....starting over with clones :wallbash: lol) but Im about to get things up and runnin again myself.

Your grow is looking fantastic my friend...That one suspected male is exactly that man...You may wanna save some of the MK pollen if you can manage to give it just a few hours of sunlight from a window just to get it to drop some pollen. Could make for some good crosses in the future. :canabis:

Can't wait to see how these develop man!!! :jump:

Be Well and Stay Safe
:joint:

Last edited:

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
Update - October 15, 2008

Day 19 of flower period

So I think I have my final count for this run - 8 happy and healthy looking females! I went in today and saw they were needing a drink - they are starting to take on quite a bit more water. I am being careful to not over water from earlier lessons in this grow log.

One thing I am having some questions about is this - undergrowth! I did 2 or 3 FIM's on each plant and have 4 main branches coming off. Anything of substance that can provide a good amount of herb I would like to keep, but it seems as if the majority of the inner small nodal growth just comes out then dies off cause its not getting any light. I have started to just remove all of this and am trying to really guide and shape the main bud sites - is there anything wrong with doing something like this? Should I just let the plant go and see what I get in 40 - 50 days?

So enough with questions - a few more pictures for you all! Thanks to gDawg, HempKat, and ConceptOfSleep for the responses on the male speculation! I was pretty much convinced it was a male but didn't want to axe off a plant I couldn't 100% ID, so I thought I would ask my friends =)

ConceptOfSleep said:
Yoooo Soulfly! whats up bro?

I havent been around in a while, but Im glad to see you still got these MKs up and runnin... I see you took a little hiatus like I did (Broken hand, didnt flower soon enough, got mites....starting over with clones :wallbash: lol) but Im about to get things up and runnin again myself.

Your grow is looking fantastic my friend...That one suspected male is exactly that man...You may wanna save some of the MK pollen if you can manage to give it just a few hours of sunlight from a window just to get it to drop some pollen. Could make for some good crosses in the future. :canabis:

Can't wait to see how these develop man!!! :jump:

Be Well and Stay Safe
:joint:

Thank you very much for the kind words bud! I was thinking to myself the other day that I hadn't seen you around lately, glad to see your doing okay and able to post. I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes in your run - was looking at your seed bank and saw you have a hell of a selection to pick from for your next grow - again, I'm envious! lol.

I finally scored a pack of DSD... going to give it a run when I get back out to CA in a few months. Keep checking back - hoping these MK's get monstrous!

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Are those fluoros they're under? Looks to me like some are well over two feet and that's really just too tall for fluoros. HID which stands for High Intensity Discharge is what you need because fluoros don't eminate as much energy. They would be considered low intensity discharge. See plant's don't see light the way we do. They bath in the energy that radiates from a light. We rate light in terms of how it impacts our ability to see and this has evolved in what we call lumens which I believe 1 lumen equals the brightness of one candle, so if your light is say about 3000 lumens (roughly what a good 40W fluoro bulb puts out) then that's the same as if you hade 3000 candles burning in the same spot. This ability to see or brightness goes much further then the radient energy from the light that creates it. That radient energy is what the plant needs for growth the plant doesn't care at all about how well it can be seen though. So for us we need to learn to think differently about light that it's the brightness we see as well as the energy (which we feel as heat usually) that eminates from the light source. There is a term for this by the way, it's called PAR which I have no clue what PAR stands for. Problem is it's virtually impossible to know what the par is of a light from the manufacturer. The only real solution for getting that info reliably is to get a light meter that can measure PAR and measure it yourself.

Whatever you call it though, PAR, lumens, etc. it's energy and as such has to conform to the physics of energy which in the case of light the one to understand is known as the inverse squared rule or law. This law states that as the energy moves from the source it's strength will decrease exponentially as the distance from the source increases. What this means is as you move out from the bulb say a foot, the amount of energy at that point is a certain amount less let's us the 3000 lumens and say it's 300 lumens less at a foot which is a 10% loss. At two feet however you lose 4 times the energy which is 1200 lumens or about 40% on top of the 10% for a total loss of 50%. At 3 feet you would lose more energy then you have so you would actually be down to 0% energy radiating from the light. We can see the light beyond that but to the plants that is alien, they don't see.

Here's the thing with a low intensity discharge really you need to think in terms of inches rather then feet and that means if you want to grow with fluoros you need to either surround the plant with fluoros all just and inch or two, maybe three on CFL's because they get hotter then the long straight tubes. That's why people go with the High Intensity Discharge or HID light they have more energy at the start point so they can radiate further before dropping to 0%. In growing jargon we call this penetration, the light's ability to penetrate the canopy and affect lower growth. With a 1000W HID you have about 4 or 5 feet meaning once you plant is taller them that lower growth will do like what you describe is happening to your plants.

Now relating to your question if your plants get taller then the light can handle then it's advisable to try to remove that lower growth because it's not able to gather any energy since none of it is getting down where it is, this makes it a drain to the plant because it uses more energy then it creates. The plant will sense it and start killing it off but that takes time and it's believed by some that the sooner you cut it the sooner that energy can go to other buds. The leaves and all associate with this growth does bring in some energy so you have to develope a feel for what should go and what should stay. In my opinion it's best to try to avoid all that by growing them within your light's range. I prefer to just let the plant handle the killing off of leaves when/if they need to be killed off.

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - October 25, 2008

Day 29 of flower period

So things are moving along well with the 8 ladies. Starting to see bud sites all over the place! The one plant that was being all mutanty/freakish is coming along nicely now, throwing out lots of new growth! So without further wasting of time - pictures!

So a question for you all - when you are 30 days into flowering, how often are you watering your plants? I find mine are going through a gallon roughly every 3 days. Would love to hear what everyone else has to say.

wishbone420 said:
nice girls are gettin bigggggggg

Thanks wish! Glad to see some of the SCA stopping by as always =)

HempKat said:
Are those fluoros they're under? Looks to me like some are well over two feet and that's really just too tall for fluoros. HID which stands for High Intensity Discharge is what you need because fluoros don't eminate as much energy. They would be considered low intensity discharge. See plant's don't see light the way we do. They bath in the energy that radiates from a light. We rate light in terms of how it impacts our ability to see and this has evolved in what we call lumens which I believe 1 lumen equals the brightness of one candle, so if your light is say about 3000 lumens (roughly what a good 40W fluoro bulb puts out) then that's the same as if you hade 3000 candles burning in the same spot. This ability to see or brightness goes much further then the radient energy from the light that creates it. That radient energy is what the plant needs for growth the plant doesn't care at all about how well it can be seen though. So for us we need to learn to think differently about light that it's the brightness we see as well as the energy (which we feel as heat usually) that eminates from the light source. There is a term for this by the way, it's called PAR which I have no clue what PAR stands for. Problem is it's virtually impossible to know what the par is of a light from the manufacturer. The only real solution for getting that info reliably is to get a light meter that can measure PAR and measure it yourself.

Whatever you call it though, PAR, lumens, etc. it's energy and as such has to conform to the physics of energy which in the case of light the one to understand is known as the inverse squared rule or law. This law states that as the energy moves from the source it's strength will decrease exponentially as the distance from the source increases. What this means is as you move out from the bulb say a foot, the amount of energy at that point is a certain amount less let's us the 3000 lumens and say it's 300 lumens less at a foot which is a 10% loss. At two feet however you lose 4 times the energy which is 1200 lumens or about 40% on top of the 10% for a total loss of 50%. At 3 feet you would lose more energy then you have so you would actually be down to 0% energy radiating from the light. We can see the light beyond that but to the plants that is alien, they don't see.

Here's the thing with a low intensity discharge really you need to think in terms of inches rather then feet and that means if you want to grow with fluoros you need to either surround the plant with fluoros all just and inch or two, maybe three on CFL's because they get hotter then the long straight tubes. That's why people go with the High Intensity Discharge or HID light they have more energy at the start point so they can radiate further before dropping to 0%. In growing jargon we call this penetration, the light's ability to penetrate the canopy and affect lower growth. With a 1000W HID you have about 4 or 5 feet meaning once you plant is taller them that lower growth will do like what you describe is happening to your plants.

Now relating to your question if your plants get taller then the light can handle then it's advisable to try to remove that lower growth because it's not able to gather any energy since none of it is getting down where it is, this makes it a drain to the plant because it uses more energy then it creates. The plant will sense it and start killing it off but that takes time and it's believed by some that the sooner you cut it the sooner that energy can go to other buds. The leaves and all associate with this growth does bring in some energy so you have to develope a feel for what should go and what should stay. In my opinion it's best to try to avoid all that by growing them within your light's range. I prefer to just let the plant handle the killing off of leaves when/if they need to be killed off.

Thanks bud... took me a few attempts to read through that the first time.. not a good idea when stoned, haha. I have been keeping the undergrowth trimmed back and have a fan oscillating and getting some good airflow moving under neath the canopy too! Thanks for the feedback Kat, do appreciate it man!

thatguy

Hey there, dude! How are things?

Plants sure are looking good! Glad to see things have been going well for you and that you have good people like HKhere with you. He helped me a lot over at PG. Real stand-up guy. Killer photography skillz too! You should check his thread out at PG, man.

Anyways, I'm hoping to be done with all the work I've been doing up in my attic for the new grow I'm starting up, and hope to be much more active here soon! And I'll finally finish up my threads.

Also, sorry I never got back to you over at PG. I kind of forgot about my threads for a hot minute, I was so busy with shit.

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
Hey bud! Good to see you posting on IC Mag =) Thanks for the kind words on the photography... I am hoping to greatly improve when i get my new camera at Xmas!

HK has definitely given me some excellent feedback and assistance! I will definitely look for it over at PG. Sounds like you are going to have one hell of a project on your hands once you get your attic up and running!

Thanks for stopping by man and showing some support, I do appreciate it =)

thatguy said:

Plants sure are looking good! Glad to see things have been going well for you and that you have good people like HKhere with you. He helped me a lot over at PG. Real stand-up guy. Killer photography skillz too! You should check his thread out at PG, man.

Anyways, I'm hoping to be done with all the work I've been doing up in my attic for the new grow I'm starting up, and hope to be much more active here soon! And I'll finally finish up my threads.

Also, sorry I never got back to you over at PG. I kind of forgot about my threads for a hot minute, I was so busy with shit.

All the best,
TG

HempKat

Veteran
thatguy said:

All the best,
TG

Man, attic's can be tough environments to tame and control, I don't envy you the task. Although from my relatively brief contact with you I've already picked up on how detail oriented you can be so I have every confidence you'll "get her done" as they say. :D

They do actually say that sometimes you know? :smile:

Ignore that man in the corner behind that curtain of marijuana smoke. :joint:

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - November 4, 2008

Day 39 of flower period

So with all election greatness going on right now I decided to take some pics of my plants and share them with you all. I am stoked to see the pistils starting to change to brown, the buds are getting bigger and fatter, hopefully they keep going!!!

This plant is looking a tad different than the rest.. if you can make it out in the pics, the leaves are all VERY sativa-ish. Ill try to get more pics to show you all

soulfly22583

Veteran
THCforus said:
nice work Soulfly, good job w/ the recovery from the beginning, it's lookin' good in there, keep it up :rasta:

Thanks bud! I am hoping to have a good harvest!

thatguy

Yeah, it's good to have the free time to sit in front of the computer and peck at the keys. Finally got the new thread up and the old ones finished, too!

Looking good in there, bro! Not long left now, huh?

Hk, the only real pains in the ass are the fact that my sloped ceiling and the railing for my stairway is about 2 1/2 ft from where the ceiling is only 4 ft tall, so it becomes a very tight space very quickly, and the fact that since I have no outside window, my temps go up with the temp outside and the amount of sun on the roof. Like for instance, yesterday the temp went up into the mid 60's and it was really sunny. When I set up my new 250W light and checked after a couple of hours, the temp was in the upper 80's! So I used a couple of extra fans to draw a shitload of the hot air out of there. Thankfully nothing's in flower, so no smell.

And that'll become less of a problem as we get closer to winter.

Anyhow, Soulfly, glad to things are still moving along smoothly! check out the new link in my sig for my new thread!

All the best,
TG

HempKat

Veteran
thatguy said:
Yeah, it's good to have the free time to sit in front of the computer and peck at the keys. Finally got the new thread up and the old ones finished, too!

Looking good in there, bro! Not long left now, huh?

Hk, the only real pains in the ass are the fact that my sloped ceiling and the railing for my stairway is about 2 1/2 ft from where the ceiling is only 4 ft tall, so it becomes a very tight space very quickly, and the fact that since I have no outside window, my temps go up with the temp outside and the amount of sun on the roof. Like for instance, yesterday the temp went up into the mid 60's and it was really sunny. When I set up my new 250W light and checked after a couple of hours, the temp was in the upper 80's! So I used a couple of extra fans to draw a shitload of the hot air out of there. Thankfully nothing's in flower, so no smell.

And that'll become less of a problem as we get closer to winter.

Anyhow, Soulfly, glad to things are still moving along smoothly! check out the new link in my sig for my new thread!

All the best,
TG

Well that's exactly what I was talking about when I said they're tough environments to tame. Attics typically are either too hot or too cold and so day to day you have to watch things and make adjustments depending on how it is outside. It's also often a pain because like you describe, attics aren't really spacious. If I were to grow in my attic I'd have to be hunched over all the time due to the lack of headroom. Another thing that makes attics a pain is that seldom do they have electrical outlets and/or plumbing so you have to find a way to get the electricity were you need it and you have to deal with getting water up there and waste water down from there.

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - November 12, 2008

Day 47 of flower period

Well everyone I took a few pictures the other day (Day 43 of Flower period) and am VERY excited to see how this grow ends up yielding. Not sure if ill get my 1/2 pound but that's fine at this point. I feel like I have learned a great bit about the grow cycle of marijuana, no where near as educated as some of the gods of IC Mag but I have high hopes to get there one day =)

Here are the pics, hope you all enjoy them!

This is the plant that was making me wonder if its a different pheno. It has remained quite short (like an indica) yet the leaves are thin (like a sativa)... I dont really know what to think about this one...

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Always a joy to see crystals! Forgive me if you mentioned already but how long do you think these ladies will need to flower?

soulfly22583

Veteran
Grow Tech said:
Always a joy to see crystals! Forgive me if you mentioned already but how long do you think these ladies will need to flower?

Im not really sure how long I will take them. I have to start looking at the trichs and seeing how cloudy they are getting. Hopefully they go to day 60 =)

Thanks for stopping by bud!

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - November 19, 2008

Day 54 of flower period

So I am scratching my head. Figured I would turn to you all and find out if you have any advice or ideas of what is causing my questions. The plants are now into the mid 50 day's range and they do not have a very distinguishable odor. When I walk into my op you can smell the plants, but it doesnt have that herb smell that I noticed on my first few grows.

I figure this could be a few things.
A - I could be dealing with a low-odor strain (especially as these are seeds off of hermied plants)
B - The plants are just not producing as much THC as they could be (say if they were not off a hermied plant)

Can you all give me some input or thoughts please? It would seem to ome that the plants should be having a much more distinguishable odor than what they are currently emitting.

The only real mess up I have had lately was missing a mid-week watering that dried the plants out and left almost all of my fan leafs dead. I have since caught up but yet cant help and think that this could have affected the plants. I was looking at the product description in the big book of buds 1 and it says the strain indoors can go 63 -71 days, if by day 65 the odor isnt really there should I maybe take it out longer?

Thanks!!

HempKat

Veteran
soulfly22583 said:
Update - November 19, 2008

Day 54 of flower period

So I am scratching my head. Figured I would turn to you all and find out if you have any advice or ideas of what is causing my questions. The plants are now into the mid 50 day's range and they do not have a very distinguishable odor. When I walk into my op you can smell the plants, but it doesnt have that herb smell that I noticed on my first few grows.

I figure this could be a few things.
A - I could be dealing with a low-odor strain (especially as these are seeds off of hermied plants)
B - The plants are just not producing as much THC as they could be (say if they were not off a hermied plant)

Can you all give me some input or thoughts please? It would seem to ome that the plants should be having a much more distinguishable odor than what they are currently emitting.

The only real mess up I have had lately was missing a mid-week watering that dried the plants out and left almost all of my fan leafs dead. I have since caught up but yet cant help and think that this could have affected the plants. I was looking at the product description in the big book of buds 1 and it says the strain indoors can go 63 -71 days, if by day 65 the odor isnt really there should I maybe take it out longer?

Thanks!!

Well the odor thing is probably strain related, not because of hermied seeds or anything but just because some strains smell less then others. Another possibility is that these buds have been less disturbed. I've had grows where you walk in and there is no pronounced smell but if you brush your hand against some buds then the smell becomes pronounced. The things that cause smell are called terpenes and are also responsible for the flavor. This is a big component of the resin. Now you can't compare one strain's smell to another as far as thinking because one smelled strong they'll all smell strong. If however it's the same strain and one grow it smells strong and then the next it doesn't, then that is due to the fact that for some reason the plant has produced less resin and therefore less terpenes. There are ways we as growers can encourage resin by stimulating the plants need for resin. To marijuana the resin serves several specific functions all designed to protect the seed producing parts of the plant. One thing is it serves as insulation. In the fall season as a plant approaches harvest the nights get a bit cool. Resin helps act as a blanket to that coolness. So we as growers can encourage resin to be produced by making sure there is a 20 degree drop in temps between lights on and lights off. Resin also serves as an barrier to seal in moisture against the low humidity conditions found in the cool autumn evenings. So we as growers can also stimulate resin production by getting the relative humidity down to 30% during lights out. Finally resin on the marijuana plant has a very high UV absorbtion rate making the resin much like sun-block. We as growers can stimulate resin production by adding uv light to our grows. Now when I say UV I'm not talking your typical black light bulbs, I'm talking bulbs that give off UV-a and UV-b radiation. This kind of radiation can cause cancer in humans though so I don't encourage this particular way of stimulating the need for resin.