What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Soulfly's Grow Spot~

thatguy

How far are you from NOLA if you dont mind me asking?

About 1500 miles. My mom's side of the family is from Louisiana, between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Now mom's living back down there :D

I've always loved NOLA. It's like stepping into a different country. Some really weird people people too, when you get out into the bayou.

I've heard Dax's new band, and it sounds exactly like what I'd expect him to do. Not quite my cup of tea, though.

All the best,TG

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
thatguy said:
About 1500 miles. My mom's side of the family is from Louisiana, between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Now mom's living back down there :D

I've always loved NOLA. It's like stepping into a different country. Some really weird people people too, when you get out into the bayou.

I've heard Dax's new band, and it sounds exactly like what I'd expect him to do. Not quite my cup of tea, though.

All the best,TG

Nice - I actually lived over on the north shore of the lake for a year when I was a teen. New Orleans is a very unique place - its interesting to see the city post-katrina. I saw it 4 months after the storm and was so sad to see it so destroyed but its starting to come back, slowly, but surely.

thatguy

You got that slowly part right!

From my understanding, the biggest problem is bringing all the skilled jobs back. My mom had to get a job through my aunt when she got down there, there just wasn't anything available.

Sure hope it comes back though, NOLA's the shit!

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 22, 2008

PICTURES!!! WOOO HOOO! Thank You IC MAG WEB SUPPORT!

So with out further waiting..

A bit of root growth on the babies. This is 18 days into the start of their life. I do apologize for such a shotty picture. I didnt realize how bad it looked till they were all transplanted!

Again - this is 18 days into life and just given a new home.

Macro shot

The whole family in new 3" jiffy pots. As you can see they didnt all fit on one tray so I had to bring in another tray.

This was taken 3 days later after the re potting and you can already see a good amount of growth!

Another closer look at some of the babies

Master Kush Macro Shot - 21 days into life!

A shot of whole chamber. Added a DIY light fixture into to make sure that both containers are getting plenty of light. Doesnt seem to be hurting them any.

The family at Day 26. You can notice a good amount of growth at this point

These last 3 pictures are all group shots of the various Master Kush babies.

So that is it for the update. We lost the one little guy I thought was gonna die. Leaves me with 22 Master Kush babies. I gave my first taste of Nutes last night - added 1/2 tbsp per gallon of Bonticare Pro Bloom. Cant wait to see how they respond to it over the next few days!

thatguy said:
You got that slowly part right!

From my understanding, the biggest problem is bringing all the skilled jobs back. My mom had to get a job through my aunt when she got down there, there just wasn't anything available.

Sure hope it comes back though, NOLA's the shit!

Thats the way its been for a while from what I have heard and seen with my own eye's. The city will come back bud - look at the history of the city and what all it has gone through, this was bad for sure but not the kill hit to NOLA =)

Last edited:

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 23, 2008

Day 29 of Veg Period.

How is everyone today? :wave: So I noticed some things with the plants today when I went in to check on them. I had been thinking all day long about PH and how my water is here. I have never really investigated it but started getting curious. This is what I found today when I opened up the grow room -

As you can see there is some kind of deficiency going on. I grabbed a soil/moister/light tester we have and checked 4 separate plants in the 2 containers and each one was showing an alkaline rating between 7 and 8. What can I do to get this taken care of? I was thinking of getting some PH up and PH down and manually getting each feeding balanced out at a PH of 6. Would it be wise to invest in a reservoir to store water in and just PH balance it all at once?

My next issue is back to soil. After reading the suggestions on here and in various other posts here on IC Mag, I would like to try working with Coco. Now my concern is that the 22 plants just went into 3" jiffy pots with some miracle grow soil - what can I do when it comes time to transplanting them into 3 gallon containers in a coco/perlite/hydroton (50/25/25) mixture?

And lastly - I am currently on day 29 of the veg period. I was thinking of taking these to day 50 before throwing them into switch. Can anyone give me any reasons this is a bad idea or if they should be carried to 60 days?

Thanks for all the input!

FIRE IT UP! :joint:

thatguy

I'd recommend pH up and down for that problem. It's the easiest way to fix it I know of. I thought I saw the beginnings of yellowing in your last photos. I'd have mentioned it, but I haven't been here.

Even if you fill up a big res, you will still have some upward pH drift problems if the nute solution is healthy, with colonies of beneficial microbes, or so I've been told. Every day for the first 2 to 3 days after I mix a fresh batch of nutes in my 16.5 gal res, my pH climbs as much as .8 in 24 hrs.

Before you go and transplant them into coco/perlite/hydroton, are you ready to have to water them up to 4 times daily? Coco needs to be VERY wet, especially when amended with something like perlite. Unless the container is very large for the plants, you should still count on at least 2 waterings a day.

I'm using 60/40 coco/perlite, SOG in 6" sq pots, and I vegged for 3 weeks. I hooked up an irrigation system, as I expect to water 4 times daily.

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 26, 2008

Day 32 of Veg Period.

So after posting a few days ago about the yellowing I went a day with out watering and cleaned off as much of the dead/dying leaves as I could. I went out today and grabbed a ph Tester and tested my tap water. Surprise, surprise - it says it was 7.4 at first the jumped to 7.8. Not as bad as I was envisioning but still needing to be adjusted.

So I decide I have a good idea about my water and grab the botanicare feeding schedule (just looked at it today, I know, noob!) and measured up the proper amount of Pure Blend Pro Grow at 15ml/1gal. I decided to test the ph of my solution before applying it to the plants and low and behold the ph is at 6.8. I didn't believe it so I stirred the solution around and waited a few minutes and tested it again - 6.8. Not sure how the solution did it but ill take that score!

So after that I watered up the plants and slid them back under the lights. And this is what they are looking like now....

I'm hoping that they can pull through from the stress I have been putting them through. All part of the learning process I guess

I have also decided that I am going to use a mixture of Pro-Mix BX and hydroton as my medium. I figure this should allow for easy watering and good root growth. I also picked up 5 gallon containers today to allow these to get as big as they can!

That's about it for the update!

thatguy said:
I'd recommend pH up and down for that problem. It's the easiest way to fix it I know of. I thought I saw the beginnings of yellowing in your last photos. I'd have mentioned it, but I haven't been here.

Even if you fill up a big res, you will still have some upward pH drift problems if the nute solution is healthy, with colonies of beneficial microbes, or so I've been told. Every day for the first 2 to 3 days after I mix a fresh batch of nutes in my 16.5 gal res, my pH climbs as much as .8 in 24 hrs.

Before you go and transplant them into coco/perlite/hydroton, are you ready to have to water them up to 4 times daily? Coco needs to be VERY wet, especially when amended with something like perlite. Unless the container is very large for the plants, you should still count on at least 2 waterings a day.

I'm using 60/40 coco/perlite, SOG in 6" sq pots, and I vegged for 3 weeks. I hooked up an irrigation system, as I expect to water 4 times daily.

All the best,
TG

Thanks for the input on the coco - I did some more reading up here on IcMag and over at PG and decided that Coco is something ill experiment with down the road when I have a few more successful grows under my belt.

thatguy

Depending on how big you grow them in those 5 gal, you may still need to water almost that frequently.

Glad you got that pH tester. There goes that problem!

They'll pull through, just you watch. My first ID grow, I was over watering my plants really bad for a couple of weeks. They looked MUCH worse than yours do.

You saw the thread. They pulled through, all right!

All the best,
TG

Z

zoolander

Sometimes the problem can be those peat cup's but with proper ph and a few small things they pull through but next time just go with your soil you like and plastic pots and I think you may stress a little less .

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 31, 2008

Hope everyone is having a great day! Life is going well for me, got a job again so im stoked! Feels good to be working again :joint:

The plants are looking great. They are 9 that are not showing any roots out of the jiffy pots. I will be transplanting the plants into 3 gallon bags to keep them in veg a bit longer then into the 5 gallon buckets for a hopefully kickass flower period! (A guy can dream right? :jump: )

These pictures are from earlier in the week. Ill take pictures when they are transplanted and update then with all the news and improvements! Please notice that is not a HORRIBLE infestation on the leaves. It was the angle of the camera after misting off the plants!

thatguy said:
Depending on how big you grow them in those 5 gal, you may still need to water almost that frequently.

Glad you got that pH tester. There goes that problem!

They'll pull through, just you watch. My first ID grow, I was over watering my plants really bad for a couple of weeks. They looked MUCH worse than yours do.

You saw the thread. They pulled through, all right!

All the best,
TG

thatguy said:
How's things looking, Soulfly? Any improvement?

thanks for the support bud and thanks for keeping on my ass in this thread. I actually was just waiting till something more interesting happened with the plants to post but not much was really going on, just in my opinion a slow improvement. Guess you can all decide that one

zoolander said:
Sometimes the problem can be those peat cup's but with proper ph and a few small things they pull through but next time just go with your soil you like and plastic pots and I think you may stress a little less .

Thanks man! I actually did a party cup, to 3 gal. bag on my very first grow last year and it worked better than this has worked out so far - might be going back to that system, haha. Also wanted to say - dude, you have totally got me looking at rez dog's gear. I noticed your comments in his forum and read them and find myself admiring the various grows there (including your d39 grow!) I am going to be getting some of his gear or see if i can get a clone from someone running his gear =)

JustinCase said:
Hope you get em turned around SoulFly. I'm rooting for ya.

Thanks bud! I appreciate the support. Keep tuned in for more updates!

Till next time everyone - fire it up :joint:

soulfly22583

Veteran
2stoge said:
is there a difference of using hydrotron instead of perlite in soil?

i hope everything pulls out okay.

I cant really answer your question bud - sorry. I am just moving into the hydroton world so cant quite comment yet =)

I do know though, thanks to the people in this thread, that using it in combination with perlite would require a frequent watering schedule. Atleast I can give you that much.

thatguy

Perlite and hydroton would be hydro. BTW, soulfly, wash the hydroton off before using it. I've heard the dust in the bag has a high pH.

Yo, you a Cavalera Conspiracy fan? I'm happy as hell to see those 2 brothers together again. Max is the fuckin' man!!! And Igor's one of the nastiest drummers in the biz!

Playing some Darkest Hour here. Let's hear it for Heddy Metalheads!!!!

All the best,
TG

ConceptOfSleep

soulfly22583 said:
Thanks man! I actually did a party cup, to 3 gal. bag on my very first grow last year and it worked better than this has worked out so far - might be going back to that system, haha. Also wanted to say - dude, you have totally got me looking at rez dog's gear. I noticed your comments in his forum and read them and find myself admiring the various grows there (including your d39 grow!) I am going to be getting some of his gear or see if i can get a clone from someone running his gear =)

Thanks bud! I appreciate the support. Keep tuned in for more updates!

Till next time everyone - fire it up :joint:

Hey Soulfly!! Glad things are starting to look up! The babies look real healthy on the tops....Hope that whatever was killin off your leaves got sorted out!

I use the exact same method as you... I veg in Solo cups until they show sex, then into 3 Gal grow bags for all the ladies....The males stay in the cups since they are just gonna be used for their pollen and have clones taken if I want.... It worked good in soil and appears to be going just as great if not better in the Coco as long as I keep them watered and fed!

And you certainly cannot go wrong with Rez's gear... There are so many varieties of his that I would love to try, but for now the DSD and Alpha D should keep me satisfied....for now:muahaha: (Though I know what you mean about his D39...Zoo rocked those bitches :D)

Good luck with everything...If ya ever need some tips or have questions, Ill do my best to answer em for ya!

Be Well and Stay Safe
:joint:

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Hey Soulfly,
Glad your babies are doing better! I'll have to check your pictures out when I'm not at work LOL! Gotta keep my browser window small when I'm checking things from the office :muahaha:
Great news that you got a job! Shoot me a PM with the details when you have a min.

Peace, Healthy Babies & A Pay Check !

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - August 2, 2008

Happy Saturday stoners!

Hope that everyone is having a great day so far. I spent some time in the garden last night and was damn impressed with how things are coming along with the plants. I snapped off quite a few pictures that I will post up with notes in a sec.

I had wanted to do my transplant tonight but realized I don't have the right containers. Due to space issues I am ordering 1 gal. bags to transplant the plants into and continue vegging till I can put them under the 600 and induce flowering. Also getting a 4 foot T5 fixture with a mix spectrum of bulbs - looking forward to using that to veg all the plants under when they get transplanted into the 1 gal. bags!

So enough with the planning and onto the plants!!!

This is the smallest plant but he is still looking bad ass!

So as you can see there is starting to be a nice little canopy there =) I still have a few leaves with spots and yellow but they are slowly going the way of the dodo! :jump:

thatguy said:
Perlite and hydroton would be hydro. BTW, soulfly, wash the hydroton off before using it. I've heard the dust in the bag has a high pH.

Yo, you a Cavalera Conspiracy fan? I'm happy as hell to see those 2 brothers together again. Max is the fuckin' man!!! And Igor's one of the nastiest drummers in the biz!

Playing some Darkest Hour here. Let's hear it for Heddy Metalheads!!!!

All the best,
TG

Hell yeah man! I was damn happy to hear that Igor and Max are working together again. Original line up Sepultura is the one band in the world I would travel anywhere to see reunite. I have a credit card on reserve just for it, haha! CC is seriously badass - I hope that the bass player (also in Gojira) comes back around for any future albums, he did some good work!

ConceptOfSleep said:
Hey Soulfly!! Glad things are starting to look up! The babies look real healthy on the tops....Hope that whatever was killin off your leaves got sorted out!

I use the exact same method as you... I veg in Solo cups until they show sex, then into 3 Gal grow bags for all the ladies....The males stay in the cups since they are just gonna be used for their pollen and have clones taken if I want.... It worked good in soil and appears to be going just as great if not better in the Coco as long as I keep them watered and fed!

And you certainly cannot go wrong with Rez's gear... There are so many varieties of his that I would love to try, but for now the DSD and Alpha D should keep me satisfied....for now (Though I know what you mean about his D39...Zoo rocked those bitches )

Good luck with everything...If ya ever need some tips or have questions, Ill do my best to answer em for ya!

Be Well and Stay Safe

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ConceptOfSleep again." - they need to reset the rules so i can give more rep more often!

Thanks for the kind words bud! I cant wait to get some more cash in my pockets and place an order for some of Rez's gear!

Grow Tech said:
Hey Soulfly,
Glad your babies are doing better! I'll have to check your pictures out when I'm not at work LOL! Gotta keep my browser window small when I'm checking things from the office
Great news that you got a job! Shoot me a PM with the details when you have a min.

Peace, Healthy Babies & A Pay Check !

Hey bud! Haha, you rebel, dont want the bosses seeing that (OR the IT department if they track IP's/webpage URL's)

Its the same job I had the first part of the year. The company just rehired me cause they got more work in the area =)

How you and the garden doing man?

Last edited:

obZen

Looking good.

You should try rotating your CFLs so they're horizontal over the plants.

You'll have more surface area of the bulb facing the plant - hence more light.

Good luck and keep on growin'!

soulfly22583

Veteran
obZen said:
Looking good.

You should try rotating your CFLs so they're horizontal over the plants.

You'll have more surface area of the bulb facing the plant - hence more light.

Good luck and keep on growin'!

I actually keep them covered like that most of the time. I had just slid in that black tray so I had to reposition the plants around. I have the plants laid out in the white tray so that the ones in the foreground are getting direct light from the DIY fixture I have hanging and the background plants are getting direct light from the T5 fixture. I will be moving those trays along as seeds are popped and plants are moved into flower

Thanks for stopping by and giving some feedback =) Props for the Meshugga avatar! Me, ConceptOfSleep and thatguy are all metal heads - hit up the "what im listening to now" thread and you'll see us all posting in there =)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts