What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Soulfly's Grow Spot~

Z

zoolander

Everything is startin to come together nice soulfly , Nice job :jump:

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
zoolander said:
Everything is startin to come together nice soulfly , Nice job :jump:

Haha, yeah it is bud. I am getting excited to walk into the room each day and see how things are proceeding =) thanks for checking back bud!

thatguy

Hell yeah metalheads!!! Heddy metalheads, to be specific :D

Looking good, Soulfly! Forgot to mention before, congrats on the job!

All the best,
TG

Last edited:

ConceptOfSleep

Alright! Glad you figured out the problem with the yellowing!

Heddy Metalheads Unite!! :headbange :D

Nice grab on the flouro fixture too man! Im sure you will dig it... I use regular old 4ft shoplites for seedlings (and had to for most of Veg this run as the cab got built) and I was always impressed...I only hear great things about the T5's and have even seen a few folks here use them from start to finish! Check out Khaleel's thread to see how them T5s roll!

So are you gonna be flowering in 1 gal or is that just for transplant?

Keep up the great work man! Things just keep lookin better!
:joint:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Hell yeah man the seedlings are starting to pick up man. I notice when they have those large brown spots that means they are a lil hungry for nutes. Looks like you corrected that nicely though. You are gonna have some bombies soon enough.

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
Hell yeah metalheads!!! Heddy metalheads, to be specific :D

Looking good, Soulfly! Forgot to mention before, congrats on the job!

All the best,
TG

Haha, good point man. I went to see ZAO and A LIFE ONCE LOST in CA and was blazed out of mind. So im watching all these kids beating the crap out of each other in the pit and I notice their shirts - all straightedge (sXe). I kept thinking to myself "I hope i dont stink like herb...." Never had any problems but just such a vastly different metal scene than say - Slayer. haha.

ConceptOfSleep said:
Alright! Glad you figured out the problem with the yellowing!

Heddy Metalheads Unite!!

Nice grab on the flouro fixture too man! Im sure you will dig it... I use regular old 4ft shoplites for seedlings (and had to for most of Veg this run as the cab got built) and I was always impressed...I only hear great things about the T5's and have even seen a few folks here use them from start to finish! Check out Khaleel's thread to see how them T5s roll!

So are you gonna be flowering in 1 gal or is that just for transplant?

Keep up the great work man! Things just keep lookin better!

Thanks man! Yeah I feel so much better about these plants now that I got a good amount of nutrients going into them. Their feeding actually goes up to 25ml/gal when i feed them next so we should see some growth spurts soon. I am looking forward to mixing this flouro into the mix with the 600w HPS I have. I love the fact that I can keep the flouro damn near on top of the plant and the HPS a bit away from the plants to avoid burn but still give them both spectrum's of light for growth. The 1 gal's are merely for transplant purposes. They will eventually run this course if things go right: rockwool cube > 3" jiffy pot > 1 gal. bag > 5 gal. pot's. Thanks for keeping an eye on the grow and giving me feedback - I'm learning as much as I can!

chubbynugs said:
Hell yeah man the seedlings are starting to pick up man. I notice when they have those large brown spots that means they are a lil hungry for nutes. Looks like you corrected that nicely though. You are gonna have some bombies soon enough.

I actually will be upping the nutrient dosage per the manufacture feeding schedule. I have no prior experience with these nutes so I am going to test out there schedule and see where it takes me. I bought them and need to learn so it seems like the best time to me =) Thanks again for stopping by and checking it out man, hopefully they do keep this pace of growth!

thatguy

Oh, man, Soulfly, you just brought back some memories.

Back in 97, there was a corner of my state that had a rather large straight edge community. The local club made the poor choice to do a hardcore & metal night.

4 friends and I were outside, smoking a joint between a couple of sets, when this group of like a dozen sX'ers comes over, grabs the joint out of my buddy's mouth, and grinds it into the ground with his heel.

Did I mention my friend is a raging drunk, 6'4" Lithuanian ogre? He choked this kid up, both hands, and slammed his ass to the ground.

Then all hell broke loose! My other buddy unhooks his wallet chains(remember those?), and starts whipping motherfuckers with it! My other 2 friends and I just waded into the rest of them ( I forgot to mention a lot of them were also vegan, too. Ever notice how vegans always look an inch away from death? Yeah, well they can't fight worth a shit, either!) and started hitting whoever was around us.

More people poured outside, and the next thing I know, there were cops everywhere and everyone started running!

Needless to say, that was the only time that event happened!

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
Oh, man, Soulfly, you just brought back some memories.

Back in 97, there was a corner of my state that had a rather large straight edge community. The local club made the poor choice to do a hardcore & metal night.

4 friends and I were outside, smoking a joint between a couple of sets, when this group of like a dozen sX'ers comes over, grabs the joint out of my buddy's mouth, and grinds it into the ground with his heel.

Did I mention my friend is a raging drunk, 6'4" Lithuanian ogre? He choked this kid up, both hands, and slammed his ass to the ground.

Then all hell broke loose! My other buddy unhooks his wallet chains(remember those?), and starts whipping motherfuckers with it! My other 2 friends and I just waded into the rest of them ( I forgot to mention a lot of them were also vegan, too. Ever notice how vegans always look an inch away from death? Yeah, well they can't fight worth a shit, either!) and started hitting whoever was around us.

More people poured outside, and the next thing I know, there were cops everywhere and everyone started running!

Needless to say, that was the only time that event happened!

All the best,
TG

HAHAHAHA! Man I can totally relate to you on that. I have seen so many vegan kids on their walking death bed, they just needed to be informed of it cause they were obviously ignorant to the fact. The so cal hardcore/sXe scene is kind of intense to be honest man - i know that when a lot of the new england bands come to town you see some crazy shows (The Acacia Strain was fucking crazy! band and crowd reaction that is.)

That is funny that those kids had the balls to do that - most the time you only see them talk shit and then try for cheap shot's or group beat downs in the pit. I hate when people get all righteous and start telling other people what they should be doing.

What was the last show you saw? Chimaira/Dethklok right?

thatguy

In that area, we called them hate-edgers, because they were some angry little fuckers! Thankfully, that scene is dead now.

You ever notice how non-smokers and their ilk practice more peer pressure than us? I find that kind of ironic.

Yeah, Chimaira/Dethklok. Not a whole lot around here during the summer. Not to mention the 1 Ozzfest, and no Sounds of the Underground, and this summer's shaping up to be relatively music-free. Damn Europeans, give us our metal back!

On a sweet note, a friend just told me I HAVE to be the vocalsit in the new band he's putting together! Time t obrush the old vocal cords off..."THE BLOOD'S ON THE WALL, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST ADMIT IT, AND BLEACH OUT THE STAINS, COMMIT TO FORGETTING IT..." Yeah, I think they're doing OK.

All the best,
TG

obZen

If you need a bass player, give me a yell. Lol. =]

How are the plants doing?

You got the new Soulfly album yet? It's crazy awesome.

Five Finger Death Punch will be here in Sept. Europe hasn't taken all our Metal!

thatguy

Ob, if you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd say HELL YEAH!!!

Never heard them before. I gotta admit I'm not too active in the scene any more. New (and not-so new) bands are mysteries to me. I'll have to go check them out when I sign out!

Since I should be a little better off financially :rolleyes: after this fall, I'll probably get back into it. The band wouldn't hurt, either!

Gotta admit, never was a huge Soulfly fan. Sepultura is what made me a metalhead (Chaos AD is the SHIT!!! Well, all of their older stuff was!), and Soulfly was a little too different to me.

All the best,
TG

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran

Greetings All!

Hey Soulfly, heres a follow up pick of that C4 I LSTed. Since I waited so late to start training it maybe was MST ( medium stress lol) but as you can see, the plant responded ok. I actually torqued one of the branches down a little too much and got the start of a split where that brach meets the trunk. I let that branch "unbend" & taped the point that was damaged using electrical tape. It healed quickly and within a week or so I could start bending that branch again. This plant is at the very edge of my grow table so the goal was to fill in a very narrow space...hence the fan structure.

Peace

Last edited:

thatguy

BTW, obZen, I gave 5FDP a listen, and they seem a little too light, radio friendly to me. One song though, must have been an old one, was damn good!

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
In that area, we called them hate-edgers, because they were some angry little fuckers! Thankfully, that scene is dead now.

You ever notice how non-smokers and their ilk practice more peer pressure than us? I find that kind of ironic.

Yeah, Chimaira/Dethklok. Not a whole lot around here during the summer. Not to mention the 1 Ozzfest, and no Sounds of the Underground, and this summer's shaping up to be relatively music-free. Damn Europeans, give us our metal back!

On a sweet note, a friend just told me I HAVE to be the vocalsit in the new band he's putting together! Time t obrush the old vocal cords off..."THE BLOOD'S ON THE WALL, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST ADMIT IT, AND BLEACH OUT THE STAINS, COMMIT TO FORGETTING IT..." Yeah, I think they're doing OK.

All the best,
TG

The European's do have good summer festivals but there are some good tours that go on still in the US. Just have to be a little more willing to travel. Congrats on the singing gig - have fun man!

obZen said:
If you need a bass player, give me a yell. Lol. =]

How are the plants doing?

You got the new Soulfly album yet? It's crazy awesome.

Five Finger Death Punch will be here in Sept. Europe hasn't taken all our Metal!

The plants are doing okay. Doing an update today so you shall get all the news =) In regards to the new Soulfly - no I have not got it just yet. My buddy texted me with his initial review and it wasn't favorable. I trust his assessment of Max's work as we have both been fans as long as I can remember (Sepultura, Nailbomb, Troops Of Doom (know about this version of his work?), Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, and so on). We both acknowledged that Soulfly had been going down a VERY different path these days. BUT all that aside - I will check it out and let you know what I think =)

Whats your thoughts on the new Slipknot stuff?

thatguy said:
Ob, if you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd say HELL YEAH!!!

Never heard them before. I gotta admit I'm not too active in the scene any more. New (and not-so new) bands are mysteries to me. I'll have to go check them out when I sign out!

Since I should be a little better off financially after this fall, I'll probably get back into it. The band wouldn't hurt, either!

Gotta admit, never was a huge Soulfly fan. Sepultura is what made me a metalhead (Chaos AD is the SHIT!!! Well, all of their older stuff was!), and Soulfly was a little too different to me.

All the best,
TG

AND

thatguy said:
BTW, obZen, I gave 5FDP a listen, and they seem a little too light, radio friendly to me. One song though, must have been an old one, was damn good!

Sorry, wanted to comment on these two together. Sepultura is what got me into Max Cavalera's work. A buddy of mine in HS could play the entire Chaos A.D. album on double bass drums at a good pace compared to Igor. He got me listening to the ROOTS CD and at first, I hated it. Just couldn't get into it. Well after a good 5 month period I got Roots Bloody Roots stuck in my head and couldn't get it out. I ended up going and grabbing a used copy of the CD and listening to it. After that day forth I was a fan of Sepultura. Got all of their back CD's and was blown away by their intensity and musical arrangement. When I found out about Soulfly I gave it a listen and was amazed just like Sep. Sadly - as time has played on the albums have just kept sounding more and more the same. I was stoked to see Cavalera Conspiracy come out with a really good thrashy CD. Its been far to long since we have seen that from those guys!

In regards to 5FDP - I am of the same mind man. They have some catchy songs but it doesn't feel like it will pan out very far. I saw them with Divine Heresy and wasn't impressed (by either band for that fact) Metal seems to be lacking a bit lately.

Grow Tech said:

Greetings All!

Hey Soulfly, heres a follow up pick of that C4 I LSTed. Since I waited so late to start training it maybe was MST ( medium stress lol) but as you can see, the plant responded ok. I actually torqued one of the branches down a little too much and got the start of a split where that brach meets the trunk. I let that branch "unbend" & taped the point that was damaged using electrical tape. It healed quickly and within a week or so I could start bending that branch again. This plant is at the very edge of my grow table so the goal was to fill in a very narrow space...hence the fan structure.

Peace

Thanks for the update on the LST'ing. I am still looking at doing it on my plants. Might pick up some yarn today and string it all up when the lights come on!

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - August 9, 2008

Day 41 of veg period

Hey everyone. Sorry for the long delay of updates. I have been crazy busy with work and find myself coming home utterly exhausted. As you will see in these following pictures the plants are doing good but getting a bit cramped. I have a good amount of roots coming out of the jiffy cups and am starting to find yellow spots on some of the leaves.

Here are some assorted group shots!

Once I saw the spotting I freaked and decided it was time to get them into the 1 gal. bags. Wanted to get them all transplanted Wednesday (didn't happen), then Thursday (again, didn't happen). Last night I saw quite a bit of yellowing on the leaves and some of the plants were very droopy so I decided to get on it and transplant them into the new 1 gal. bags. We looked through all 22 babies and have discarded 4 males, and found a possible 4 more but are going to give them a few more days before we decide. I didn't take any pictures of the plants transplanted and in such a shitty condition cause I'm mad at myself for letting this happen. Once they are on the mend I will get up some pictures for you all!

So as of this posting this is what I currently have:

Genetics - 18 Nirvana Master Kush
Veg - 4 foot T5 light fixture with 2 blue and 2 red spectrum lights, 2 foot T5 light fixture with 2 blue and 2 red spectrum lights & DIY bathroom fixture with 2 27w blue and 2 42w white lights
Flower - 600 watt SunMaster with digital balance (*not running but will be implemented when switch to 12/12 is done this week)
Soil - Hydroton and Miracle Grow Organic Soil
Nutrients - Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow & Pure Blend Pro Bloom

I am debating on running my 4 foot T5 fixture and my 600w for flower. Any opinions out there?

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Using the T5 along with the HPS for at least the first 2 weeks of 12/12 will help tame stretch...a little IMO. I'm at week 5 of 12/12 and I'm running 110w of 6500K ( bluesih light ) T5 along with my 600w hps.

Theres several other factors that can influence stretch but throwing a lil blue light into the mix ( at least for the first 1/2 of flower) certainly wont hurt.

Peace

thatguy

Personally, I'd just go for the 600. That's plenty of light. The plants might get a little crowded right before you sex them, though!

Troops of doom???? I know of NB, been a fan since '97, but I've never heard of TOD. I know of the song on Schizophrenia, but no side project. I neeeeeeeeed to hear me some of that!!!

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
Personally, I'd just go for the 600. That's plenty of light. The plants might get a little crowded right before you sex them, though!

Troops of doom???? I know of NB, been a fan since '97, but I've never heard of TOD. I know of the song on Schizophrenia, but no side project. I neeeeeeeeed to hear me some of that!!!

All the best,
TG

hehe - they used the name Troops Of Doom to play warm up shows. I know of one time they used it in San Diego, just before Chaos dropped. A good friend of mine helped book the show, it was back in her early days of concert booking =)

Its just one of those fun, random music facts I like to use every now and then. Nailbomb was some good shit - glad Max was nice and pissed when he did that album.

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - August 12, 2008

Day 49 of veg period

So I am a bit frustrated today. Some problems -
1. I think my soil mix is allowing to much water to flow through in addition to not absorbing enough back up into the container.
2. I screwed up my feeding schedule. Realized I was doing the first week of flowering feeding a week early.
3. Almost certain to lose at least 3 plants due to above problems

I was able to contain my thoughts of ripping it all out and starting over fresh tonight. I have decided that I am going to pause everything. I am thinking heavily of taking all the plants and pulling them out of their bags and putting a good 2 inch base of soil then reuse the soil/hydroton mix on top of that. I gave them a tap water only watering this morning. Going to do this for a week and replant them. Think another 3 weeks of veg should get them nice and stable and ready to put into 12/12.

thatguy

Why do you think your soil is draining too well? Are you saying that when you water, they stand in water afterwards?

How frequently are you watering? Remind me what you're using for nutes.

Latest posts

Latest posts