What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Soulfly's Grow Spot~

thatguy

But can't you add the UV with a MH? I know I've heard of people using a MH at the end of flower, but do flouros emit UV? Would some T5 side lighting stimulate more resin production?

Wish I'd had an answer for you, but I was actually waiting for one myself :D

Thanks, HK :wave:
All the best,
TG

ConceptOfSleep

Hey Soulfly! Things are looking great in your garden man :rasta:

Look like they are bulkin up nicely and really packin on some resin. As far as the low odor thing goes, I really cant offer any reasons or solutions, but I can tell you that I have grown several plants that were fairly low odor while they grew, but after dry and a cure, they stank to high heaven. I have also had some that were the exact opposite and stank up my cab somethin fierce, but after a cure, it mellowed out quite a bit. Also had some with low Odor from grow through the cure, but in all cases, they were still GREAT smoke, so dont let the low odor discourage you from a particular plant :D

Things look great and I am sure you will be happy with the end results!

Keep em green brotha!
:joint:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
thatguy said:
But can't you add the UV with a MH? I know I've heard of people using a MH at the end of flower, but do flouros emit UV? Would some T5 side lighting stimulate more resin production?

Wish I'd had an answer for you, but I was actually waiting for one myself :D

Thanks, HK :wave:
All the best,
TG

I don't know if MH's or T-5's or any other bulbs emit UV, if they do it must be on a very small scale otherwise they would require cancer risk warnings and I don't ever recall seeing anything like that on the boxes of any bulbs I bought.

thatguy

Well, HK, looked it up, and sure enough, here's what wikipedia had to say on he subject.

From Wikipedia
Metal halide lamps are used both for general industrial purposes, and for very specific applications which require specific UV or blue-frequency light.

Although an excellent source of lighting for the reef aquarium, there has been concern voiced by some aquarists over the potential ill-effects of close-range contact with metal halide lighting which is demanded by the hobby. Some individuals have noticed temporary blurred vision even after very brief exposure to metal halide lighting. This blurring of vision could be linked to Photokeratitis (snow blindness) - the result of unprotected exposure to Ultraviolet (UV) radiation

So :wink: I thought I'd read such things during my months of research of what the hell I was getting myself into, but I wasn't too sure.

I may very well give a shot to trying a MH at the end of flower on one of my tables, see what happens! Although, if my yield goes down, that idea's out the window!

What up, SF? Been to any good shows lately?

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
thatguy said:
Well, HK, looked it up, and sure enough, here's what wikipedia had to say on he subject.

From Wikipedia

So :wink: I thought I'd read such things during my months of research of what the hell I was getting myself into, but I wasn't too sure.

I may very well give a shot to trying a MH at the end of flower on one of my tables, see what happens! Although, if my yield goes down, that idea's out the window!

All the best,
TG

interesting information on the MH lighting. Might be something I will give a look at later on when I have more $$$. In regards to concerts - Going to see GWAR with Kingdom of Sorrow and Toxic Holocaust on 12/11 and the next day seeing Killwhitneydead. Probably be my last two shows of the year before I move =)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
thatguy said:

From Wikipedia

All the best,
TG

Well I've added MH lighting to a grow but mainly with the intent to increase coverage and the watts per square foot. Also figuring full spectrum is better then just red spectrum as it is more like nature. Now when I did it it was for the whole flowering cycle, not just the last few weeks. For the amount it cost to add that light I don't feel like it improved things much. What I did notice though was that buds closest to the MH side while appearing slightly smaller were denser and had more weight. I did an almost identical grow after with just one light but it did also have the addition of Mycorrhizae and I yielded about 50 to 60% more bud (after trim, drying and curing) then I did on a virtually identical crop under the two lights. My take from this on MH is if you prefer your plants slightly shorter with denser bud then use an MH in flower but beyond that there's little difference, the density makes up for the loss in size.

Now given what you've found I have to conclude that there is something in the way of uv radiation from these lights but look at the wording. Wiki says "uv or blue spectrum light", which is not the same as uv radiation. If anything labeled ultraviolet could be said to be uv radiation then the black lights of the 60's and 70's could be used yet it is well known they have no benefit to plants. The other thing you quote is speculating there may be side effects linked to something that typically is cause by UV radiation, that's just expressing a theory though, it's not really saying there is a link just that there could be one. The impression I've gotten from what I've read on adding UV light is you want to use a specific type of tube that gives off both UV-a and UV-b. I'm not sure where one gets those but it is also my understanding that these are what some tanning beds use. The idea is you are trying to emulate as closely as possible the high uv levels one might find standing on a mountain in Columbia. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/778.htm

Last edited:

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Hey Soulfly,
So your past due for an update....whats the hold up?!? :whip:
You'd almost think you've been running around the country engaging in drunken debauchery.

But seriously Bro....Great seeing you! Hope you find everything fared well in your absence. Get some pics up when you can.

Peace & Debauchery

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
hey there Soulfly, nice to see things are rockin right along your way, and the ladies are lookin nice. hope alls well with you and yours and will drop by later to see how things are goin, take care and puff er easy :joint:

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - December 18, 2008

Hey hey everyone - so the plants were cut and trimmed and are all in jars. Unfortunately, I am on vacation (well maybe not unfortunately, im in Key West, Florida =)) and cant get pics uploaded till I get back. Should have my final update in 5 days or so! Thanks for being patient!

thatguy

What happened to that "5 days or so"???

Damn, you're as good a procrastinator as I!

Hope shits going well.

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
Well thatguy was right, I was slacking majorly! Here are the pics I got of my harvest. I never got a final weight but did fill 7 mason jars so I was happy. It has a hell of a kick to it, nice indica high =)

Thanks for all the input and tips! I will be hopefully starting up a new grow in the next few weeks upon my return to California. Hope everyone had a great xmas and new years!!

thatguy

Sweet! 7 mason jars is quite nice :D How's the flavor?

So headed back to Cali real soon now, huh? Cool shit! Good luck with the move, I hate moving.

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
Sweet! 7 mason jars is quite nice :D How's the flavor?

So headed back to Cali real soon now, huh? Cool shit! Good luck with the move, I hate moving.

All the best,
TG

The flavor at first was very lacking but now that it has been jarred a while it has definitely got a nice spicy kick to it.

I move back on Monday actually - its gonna take me a while to get my next grow up and going but I will have the updates posted to here. Your grow is coming along amazingly!!

thatguy

Cool shit, again!!! Yeah, some time in the jar can sure do wonders!

Monday, wow! Going to school when you get back? Seems like the timing is perfect for the spring semester.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm very happy with the progress in my new grow, too!

All the best,
TG

soulfly22583

Veteran
thatguy said:
Cool shit, again!!! Yeah, some time in the jar can sure do wonders!

Monday, wow! Going to school when you get back? Seems like the timing is perfect for the spring semester.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm very happy with the progress in my new grow, too!

All the best,
TG

Yeah, gonna take 2 classes this spring then be done with my bachelors degree =)

thatguy

Now that's the damn ticket! Congrats, man. Didn't have it in me to pay attention to all the crap for 4 years myself.

What's the degree in?

soulfly22583

Veteran
Now that's the damn ticket! Congrats, man. Didn't have it in me to pay attention to all the crap for 4 years myself.

What's the degree in?

sorry for the long response time bud, i finally am back in SD and settled with the net again!

The degree is in information and decision systems - basically business computers.

thatguy

NERD! LOL

Yeah, I figured the long wait for a response was due to your return to cali. Glad to hear it seemed to go well!

All the best,
TG

G

gdawg

hey soul just stoppin by congrats on your harvest and move bro. now get some lights burnin and lay off the club weed :)

Latest posts

Latest posts