What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL Club!

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
bumb!!! i was thinking maybe a mod could make this a sticky? lots of good info for everyone on CFLs, just a thought.

DigiTM

CFL_King, could you take a look at my post in my topic for my current build in progress? You popped in their briefly to talk about some stuff, but I'm trying to figure out some additional information.

Basically, my lumen count is only around 3200 for my build right now. I have decided to add a second socket for a light, but am debating between going with a single secondary 27 watt bulb at 1700 lumens, or two 15 watt bulbs on a Y-connector at about 950 lumens each.

Mind you, this will be for a secondary socket, as the first socket currently has a 42 watt CFL in it and runs at about 80 degrees F average for heat.

So not sure how many more lumens or watts added will affect the heat.

dtoker

yo, is anyone in the uk? if so im wondering if they have had more luck than me in obtaining decent high wattage cfls. the highest i can find is 23/30 watt but people on here are allways talking of 42watters etc but i just cant find any! ive seen the envirolights but they seem rather expensive.

I

icon

thats what my box said & the newer ones say their 6825 lumens i dont know for sure cause i dont own a light meter but it would be nice to know for sure

yeknomssa

From the Light of America Website:
9267_prod_img.jpg

Sounds a bit out there, but companies will pad their numbers sometimes. who knows, it might really put out that much. only available in 6500k in that wattage though.

SoEx

yeknomssa said:
From the Light of America Website:
9267_prod_img.jpg

Sounds a bit out there, but companies will pad their numbers sometimes. who knows, it might really put out that much. only available in 6500k in that wattage though.

Eh, I'd call Bs.

I joined the CFL club recently with 2x 105W CFLs for vegging. Lumen output was like 6700 or something. That's 105 lumens/watt (supposedly those light of america lights), versus 63 lumens/watt. Dunno, 60% extra output seems pretty far fetched.

Elephunk

The lights from Lights of America put out 5550 lumens I think. I have 3 of these lights that I use for my mother/clone cabinet and they work very well.

SoEx

Elephunk said:
The lights from Lights of America put out 5550 lumens I think. I have 3 of these lights that I use for my mother/clone cabinet and they work very well.

Ah, that's still pretty good for 65W. How much are they in the neighborhood of? *goes off to google*

G

cfl...KING said:
KING's Guide To CFL's

veg-5000k-6500k full spectrum (6,000-8,000 lumens per sq ft)
flower-2700k-3000k warm white (8,000-10,000 lumens per sq ft)
Remember with CFLs wattage doesnt matter LUMENs are key. To find the sq ft of your grow op measure the lenght an width of your grow space an multiply them(make sure u measure your space in feet). More is BETTER!!!

What's up CFL King?

Anyway, I think your CFL club is great but I had a concern about
cfl...KING said:
(6,000-8,000 lumens per sq ft)
and
cfl...KING said:
(8,000-10,000 lumens per sq ft)

We know light is only reflected off of surfaces not volumes, but given certain surface areas the lumens per square foot may not be applicable.
If your cab was 40 inches deep with plants on the bottom and Clfs on the top your Cfls would have a different effect than if they 1 inch from the plant.

We must determine a maximum distance that the bulbs can be from the plant in order for the plant to maintain reasonable leaf/bud production.

With that known you can state that
cfl...KING said:
veg-5000k-6500k full spectrum (6,000-8,000 lumens per sq ft)
flower-2700k-3000k warm white (8,000-10,000 lumens per sq ft)
within a given vertical distance (feet, inches, etc).

I hope this helps. Peace..

cfl...KING

Veteran
i have set up friends grows with 105w medium base CFLs, 6,900 lumens 5-600w equ.

greenclaws

dtoker said:
yo, is anyone in the uk? if so im wondering if they have had more luck than me in obtaining decent high wattage cfls. the highest i can find is 23/30 watt but people on here are allways talking of 42watters etc but i just cant find any! ive seen the envirolights but they seem rather expensive.

took me ages to find some that are available to uk but here you go matey-http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/item617.htm hope that helps

ive bin having the same problem.i have a cab that is around 2 1/2 ft tall containing 2 plants that have just bin put into flower.started off under 2, 20w cfls but just bought and installed a 250w growking cfl so that should do the job. im also gonna put 1 or 2 of the above linked lights in
when i get the funds anyway!
anyone else use these 250w cfls? im a bit worried bout temps. wili i need to cool them?? thanx guys and great work everyone!

cfl...KING

Veteran
felix2: if your ventalation system is that quiet im gonna asume at most its moving 50cfm-80cfm, so unless you have that bulb in a cool tube then temps will be a big problem. i think you should start with a couple 42w CFLs an see how yuor temps are.how big is your space?

its kurmit

alright so im building a single 30+- gallon rub-tub, ive got 2 cfls with a combined output equal to 150w incandescent in a y socket thing, these are daylight bulbs, now my question is should i stick with the daylights or get 1 warm and 1 cold or w/e? ::edit:: also do i need more power? my goals are to grow out some bagseed to find a suitable mother keep here in this tub, and have a perpetual clone/flower tub

Last edited:

cfl...KING

Veteran
6-8,000 lumens per sq ft @ 5-6,500k for veg an 8-10,000 lumens per sq ft @ 2,700-3,000k for flower, thats based on the CFLs being 3-6 inches above your canopy 8 inch max. multiply the lenght x width of the 30 gal rubber maid to find your sq ft. an we go by actual wattage not equivelent an mostly go by lumens then wattage because different wattages get better lumens per watt then others.

KING....out

Latest posts

Latest posts