What's new

Need some tips for germing

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
My cab is basiaclly one big bush. The 4 in the middle are the biggest, and the ones on the outside are the smallest. I am hopinh 3 of the 4 biggest are females. I want at least two big females. With my luck, I wont have any females :badday: Some with very thick stems from the start. Which leads me to belive these plants will be great yeilders. The biggest one is about a foot. I would have already started to flower, but i have no clues whats female, so i am waiting for the smaller ones to get some more growth. :woohoo:

Last edited:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
i changed my resovior and added flowering nutes being fox farm tiger bloom and big bloom. I will be turning off my light tomorrow @ 10am and turning it back on @ 10pm the next day for 36 hours of darkness

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Mr GreenJeans said:
:yes::woohoo: The show begins! :yummy:
wish i could post new pix, My cell phone got shut off as i dont have the money to pay for it right now, and i can't find my sd card reader for my digi cam, so i have no way to get new pix on here
:badday:

marley1

im a noob some excuse my stupidity.

so germinate seesd > plant into rockwool > let it chill on floro until roots come out bottom > now do you put the rockwool into the hydroton in the DWC setup? Or do you have to peel away the stuff.

Is their any root health nutrients you can use on rockwool?

Thanks,
marley1

Last edited:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
marley1 said:
im a noob some excuse my stupidity.

so germinate seesd > plant into rockwool > let it chill on floro until roots come out bottom > now do you put the rockwool into the hydroton in the DWC setup? Or do you have to peel away the stuff.

Is their any root health nutrients you can use on rockwool?

Thanks,
marley1
Yes, you just put in in with the hydroton. Fill the pot up 1/2 way, then sit the cube on top in the middle and surrond it with more pebbels to it is held and wont move

I am sure you can use nutrients on rockwol, though i would soak them in the solution prior to planting the germed seed. I have never used anything other then water. :sasmokin:

marley1

Big Bud Bear said:
Yes, you just put in in with the hydroton. Fill the pot up 1/2 way, then sit the cube on top in the middle and surrond it with more pebbels to it is held and wont move

I am sure you can use nutrients on rockwol, though i would soak them in the solution prior to planting the germed seed. I have never used anything other then water. :sasmokin:

wat size roockwool should i use, plan to start with seed.

also http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic=NEGRS01&Tp=

does that kind of stuff make it easier to have sucess with the rockwool?

G

What I do (90% rate - used to be 100%, had some troubles with a particular strain lately):

1. Soak the seeds overnight in tapwater

2. Wet 2 paper towels with tapwater

3. Place the presoaked seeds on one towel in tupperware

4. Place the other paper towel on top, put the lid on tupperware

5. Place on heat mat set to 76-78 degrees in darkness

6. Once the seeds crack, place a light source over the tupperware container

7. Once the seeds have a tap root about 3/4 inch long, dip the taproot in cloning solution - this helps immensly - story below.

8. Plant the baby, leaving the shell out, in 8 - 16oz clear cups using Light Warrior or other light potting media. Rockwool works, but it holds a lot of water. I've used peat pellets, rapid rooters, rockwool, etc,,, but my best success comes from light warrior. Probably the fungi in it.

9. Water (I use the same water as I soak my cloning media in) around the edges of the cup, not directly on the seedling until the soil is moist.

10. Put another cup on top to act as a humididome. Very important.

11. Put them under flouros at about 76-78 degrees.

12. Treat them like mini-clones. Mist them about once a day with a VERY lite nutrient mix. Harden them off very very slowly.

The story: even though I have been having problems with the Shark Shock (if you read that thread) I have had great success starting seedlings. I have run through about a thousand this year alone. A buddy ordered a few different packs from different retailers (sorry Gypsy) and he all but killed most of them. I get to his place and say "dude, I can save them, I have the technology". They were in rockwool, some were soaked, others were dry, some were falling over, some were ~ ok. I took 20 of them home. The taproots on EVERY one was dead. Brown, dead. I dipped the stem of each one in clonex gel. Soaked the rockwool in my cloning water, shook off the excess and replanted the babies in the rockwool. Just like mini-clones. I placed them on a cloning tray with a short hood (like the kind you get with peat pellet kits - ferry morris). I placed the tray on a shelf at about 76 degrees with flouros. One week later, 18 of 20 have roots coming out of the rockwool! Only 1 died and 1 looks rough. I saved the rest! And I'm talking SAVED - Critical Mass, Medicine Man, White Widow - good shit!

So, good luck and good growing!

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
marley1 said:
wat size roockwool should i use, plan to start with seed.

also http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic=NEGRS01&Tp=

does that kind of stuff make it easier to have sucess with the rockwool?
I used 3 inch i think. Does'nt really matter, in the end, your plant will get big enough the cube does'nt matter anymore.

I have never used any nutes in the early stage.

I used distilled water and did not even check the ph.

Soaked them in that and planted the seed with its tap root down in the hole.

I broke one tap root doing this and got the 9 others. Be careful!

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
strainwhore said:
What I do (90% rate - used to be 100%, had some troubles with a particular strain lately):

1. Soak the seeds overnight in tapwater

2. Wet 2 paper towels with tapwater

3. Place the presoaked seeds on one towel in tupperware

4. Place the other paper towel on top, put the lid on tupperware

5. Place on heat mat set to 76-78 degrees in darkness

6. Once the seeds crack, place a light source over the tupperware container

7. Once the seeds have a tap root about 3/4 inch long, dip the taproot in cloning solution - this helps immensly - story below.

8. Plant the baby, leaving the shell out, in 8 - 16oz clear cups using Light Warrior or other light potting media. Rockwool works, but it holds a lot of water. I've used peat pellets, rapid rooters, rockwool, etc,,, but my best success comes from light warrior. Probably the fungi in it.

9. Water (I use the same water as I soak my cloning media in) around the edges of the cup, not directly on the seedling until the soil is moist.

10. Put another cup on top to act as a humididome. Very important.

11. Put them under flouros at about 76-78 degrees.

12. Treat them like mini-clones. Mist them about once a day with a VERY lite nutrient mix. Harden them off very very slowly.

The story: even though I have been having problems with the Shark Shock (if you read that thread) I have had great success starting seedlings. I have run through about a thousand this year alone. A buddy ordered a few different packs from different retailers (sorry Gypsy) and he all but killed most of them. I get to his place and say "dude, I can save them, I have the technology". They were in rockwool, some were soaked, others were dry, some were falling over, some were ~ ok. I took 20 of them home. The taproots on EVERY one was dead. Brown, dead. I dipped the stem of each one in clonex gel. Soaked the rockwool in my cloning water, shook off the excess and replanted the babies in the rockwool. Just like mini-clones. I placed them on a cloning tray with a short hood (like the kind you get with peat pellet kits - ferry morris). I placed the tray on a shelf at about 76 degrees with flouros. One week later, 18 of 20 have roots coming out of the rockwool! Only 1 died and 1 looks rough. I saved the rest! And I'm talking SAVED - Critical Mass, Medicine Man, White Widow - good shit!

So, good luck and good growing!
:wave:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
I have some great news. Out of the 6 plants. The best and biggest and overall, my pick of the liter from the start is FEMALE!!! i am very happy. I plant to take a clone of her, and make it a mother plant for my next grow! I have 5 plants left that are sexing. Another week and i should know the sex of them all!

36 hour darkness before switch is great, it has not even been a week and i can tell the sex of one of them already!

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
The best and biggest and overall, my pick of the liter from the start is FEMALE!!! i am very happy. I plant to take a clone of her, and make it a mother plant for my next grow!
That's great news...congrats! :yes: :yes:
peace

:joint:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Thanks! I am new to cloning and am unsure of what to do. My plan is to take a clone and mother her out. and about a month before harvest, take 6 clones off of her and veg them and put them right into flower in my cab the day of harvest.,

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
That sounds like a good plan :joint: What I do with a few strains...is root a baby...flower momma....like my Casey Jones...I won't mother any females....I am keepng cuts in "stasis"

I have about 10 cuts of each Casey I have in bloom....mine are taking longer to show sex...I may try your 36 dakness trick in the future :yes: Anyways once I see who the girl is...I will then root a cut in stasis....veg it...bloom again...rinse and repeat :D No mothers....I have too may strainms for moms.....

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
-VT- said:
That sounds like a good plan :joint: What I do with a few strains...is root a baby...flower momma....like my Casey Jones...I won't mother any females....I am keepng cuts in "stasis"

I have about 10 cuts of each Casey I have in bloom....mine are taking longer to show sex...I may try your 36 dakness trick in the future :yes: Anyways once I see who the girl is...I will then root a cut in stasis....veg it...bloom again...rinse and repeat :D No mothers....I have too may strainms for moms.....
You stoned? I am a little confused about your method
:pointlaug

You take a cutting? Root it? and flower it right away taking clones when the time comes? How do you keep a un-rooted cut in stasis without it dieing?

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
:biglaugh:

I just brought two new strains to my garden....Odyssey and Purple Kush ( :yummy: ).....I will not have mothers....

I will veg them until they are big enough to flower.....during veg I shall take cuts and put them in stasis....once I succesfully root offspring...I bloom the mom....the "new mom" (which is a baby now) is vegged up to adulthood...and I take cuts....and....well....do the same thing...I have plant limits...so this is more crucial for me....

Sorry to confuse :Bolt:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Big Bud Bear said:
How do you keep a un-rooted cut in stasis without it dieing?
I like tupperware containers and refrigerators....good for 60 days or so....here's some Calizahr cuts in stasis:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
I see, you take cuttings while still vegging, then once you see which was female, you veg those then flower them when you have the room

G

-VT- said:
I like tupperware containers and refrigerators....good for 60 days or so....here's some Calizahr cuts in stasis:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to -VT- again.