What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need some tips for germing

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
would putting them under a 600 watt HPS light be a good thing for them for vegging? they dont really seem to be growing the much anymore compared to other peoples from what i've seen. Maybe my light is not enough for them now?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I'm too high to figure out why you are vegging in a bigger pot ...and need to transfer to a smaller netpot for bloom :D ...I never transplant from one netpot to another...but some growers will transplant seedlings and clones from...like, say a 3" little netcup...to a bigger 6" netpot...and this can be done by double potting...

I don't give advice on seedlings...heck I have been following this thread learning from you....

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya BBB! :wave:
Haven't grown LSD, but the Lifesaver pheno I have is a slow grower. Although more lumens is usually better, certain strains just develop slower than others. At this point you have to wait until the roots are developed - the plant won't be able to use the extra lumens until it has enough roots to provide the water and nutes it will need. As long as the cubes aren't too wet or too dry they should continue rooting on.

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Mr GreenJeans said:
Hiya BBB! :wave:
Haven't grown LSD, but the Lifesaver pheno I have is a slow grower. Although more lumens is usually better, certain strains just develop slower than others. At this point you have to wait until the roots are developed - the plant won't be able to use the extra lumens until it has enough roots to provide the water and nutes it will need. As long as the cubes aren't too wet or too dry they should continue rooting on.

when do you recommend adding nutes? I would start with grow big by fox farm for vegging. Prob start with 1/4 of what it says to use at the beginning

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Now you're gettin outta my territory - I have no hydro experience. My guess would be to start at 150-250 ppm nutes as they have very little root system this young. Any hydro growers peepin this thread?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
.4 EC is good (200 PPM @ .5 conversion)....
I wouldn't feed them until those cotyledon die....

treble

hey BBB,

VT an lorax are on the money I think, there is really no need to fert until the small sun leaves have been replaced by the normal serated leaves.

I tend to place my cubes in a small (very small) pool of water so that the bottom part of the cube is damp... pretty damp. This encourages the roots
to head south looking for water.

When transplating my better experiences have been to move them when there is about 1/2" - 1" or so of roots visible from the bottom of the cube. They will mostly grow flat under the cube but some gentle coaxing will enable you to pull them down a bit.

Once you have that you are set. Just make sure the root is in direct contact with the water in your DWC and you should be ok. They should start producting heaps of roots pretty quick.

Usually I fert at 1/4 or 1/3 strength after I get a bit of growth in normal leaves, maybe the second pair showing....

Bent or crimped sprouts... this happens to me a bit as well. It is usally a sprout that has stretched too much. If the stem gets too restricted where is has bent your plant will end up being stunted. I often cut a cube in half and put that on top of the other cube and arounfd the stem to give it extra support. I think you can see that in my Boggle grow where I had one of these.

I got mine propped up ok and it has grown beyond that. The stem is now nice and strong where as the previous grow I lost that plant. After 2 weeks it was still a sprout so it went.

Good luck with it. Should be a good one.

treb

Last edited:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
treble said:
hey BBB,

VT an lorax are on the money I think, there is really no need to fert until the small sun leaves have been replaced by the normal serated leaves.

I tend to place my cubes in a small (very small) pool of water so that the bottom part of the cube is damp... pretty damp. This encourages the roots
to head south looking for water.

When transplating my better experiences have been to move them when there is about 1/2" - 1" or so of roots
visible from the bottom of the cube. They will mostly grow flat under the cube but some gentle coaxing will enable you to pull them down a bit.

Once you have that you are set. Just make sure the root is in direct contact with the water in your DWC and you should be ok. They should start producting heaps of
roots pretty quick.

Usually I fert at 1/4 or 1/3 strength after I get a bit of growth in normal leaves, maybe the second pair showing....

Bent or crimped sprouts... this happens to me a bit as well. It is usally a sprout that has stretched too much. If the stem gets too restricted where is has bent your
plant will end up being stunted. I often cut a cube in half and put that on top of the other cube and arounfd the stem to give it extra support. I think you can see that
in my Boggle grow where I had one of these.

I got mine propped up ok and it has grown beyond that. The stem is now nice and strong where as the previous grow I lost that plant. After 2
weeks it was still a sprout so it went.

Good luck with it. Should be a good one.

treb
:woohoo:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Here is an update from today. I have a total of 8 now. The one with the bent stem died. 2 of them have brownish leaves somewhat. The first one in this updated pic has it. I dunno if you can see it or not. Any idea why this has happened? it looks similar to nute burn. But i have yet to add nutes so i dunno.

Others look good, roots are growing slowly, this friday will be 2 weeks sinice germ.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I never could get the hang of the rockwool for seedlings....I've gotten lucky a couple times with one or two....I've never had a row of living ones like that....good job Big Bud Bear!!! :yes: Sorry 'bout the one....

why don't you just "pre-veg" in a soilless mix in cups and then transplant to the DWC setup you got? Then ya won't need to worry about the pot size issue we chatted about in PM....

One of the hardest parts of DWC for me has always been planting.....but since I pre-veg now it makes it so much easier having a well establised root zone before I transplant to DWC....

:wave:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
-VT- said:
I never could get the hang of the rockwool for seedlings....I've gotten lucky a couple times with one or two....I've never had a row of living ones like that....good job Big Bud Bear!!! :yes: Sorry 'bout the one....

why don't you just "pre-veg" in a soilless mix in cups and then transplant to the DWC setup you got? Then ya won't need to worry about the pot size issue we chatted about in PM....

One of the hardest parts of DWC for me has always been planting.....but since I pre-veg now it makes it so much easier having a well establised root zone before I transplant to DWC....

just fill cups with water and let them sink in or what? Can't i just let the roots grow out into the tray? explain your preveg method

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Soilless mix is like soil almost...i have been using coc...some use soil....if you put them in a cup of water and let them sink...they will surely die

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
-VT- said:
Soilless mix is like soil almost...i have been using coc...some use soil....if you put them in a cup of water and let them sink...they will surely die
OH, I KNOW NOW. You mean fill the cups with pellets? should i keep them under this light or move them into a bigger light? IE my 600watter? How wet should i keep them?

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
i dont see how using soil would be good as they will be going into a hydro set up. Also, soils contains nutes and nutes at this staage are bad

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
-VT- said:
This friday will be two weeks. I think i should move them under my 600watter so they can start to speed up. They don't seem to be growing that fast. When in cups, should i just dampen the rw and let it dry out prior to watering? or let it sit in h20 with the pellets?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Here is c99 from clone my last show...in cups...soilless mix (soilless mixes have no nutes)

After they vegged a while and got a good strong root system...they went to DWC....

I just did the same thing with Calizahr seedlings (documented the transplant with pics)...

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
update as of today, i will be moving them into my cab soon for vegging within the next few days