What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need some tips for germing

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
doobieornot2be said:
Hey thanks for the nice compliment BBB but you'll find plenty of members around here who've got far more experience and knowledge to offer... this place is great!:woohoo:

I only use the dome if things look seriously bad(dry). Keep an eye on the bottom of the cube and once there's roots well established and looking for somewhere to go, put em in pots...depends on your set up as much as anything I guess...:chin:

One big key is to pay attention to what you're doing and what results you're getting... what works all the time for one person may not work for another...environments can vary so... Also, hot, soggy rockwool can kill seedlings fast... don't know that you need a heat mat any more... never used one myself...maybe someone will shine some light on the subject...

I can hardly wait to see those babys in flower!
yeah this place is good, i've never had people pming me like crazy on any other board regarding other subjects compared to the massive efforts i get here. Pot people are one of a kind!

I've been growing for about a year. In my gallery, you can see one of my first grows. The Strain was bog bubble. Out of all the seeds that made it, only one was a female. Was some of the best potent stuff i've ever had. I only got about 1/4 once from it though. But I've got my whole life ahead of me to keep growing! :wave:

I've prolly have had about 10 harvest in the past year. At differnet times. Most of my harvests were from collected bag seeds i got from purchases. Some turned out to be pretty good yield for their conditions. I don't have pictures of my current grow room. But I shall take some before i convert my grow into my cabnit. To which i still need to finish, but i am in no rush. I actully should have finished it because i have one large female a few weeks into harvest. She is way to be for my crawspace grow. I had to trim her down a lot as she was burning herself :badday: She was from a bag seed too, dunno any of the strains i grew. But now i have plenty of good ones.

Bubblelicous is the one germing now.
I have white rhino and northern ligght x bug bud as well.

I will do those next cycle.

I tried to germ my 20 free seeds in rockwol and it was way to hot and wet and they died. No9w i corrected myself, and did what you said, and have 100% germ rate as you can see in the pictures!

:woohoo:

My res tub can only hold six plants. So I am unsure what i'm going to do for veg. I may just veg them in my old grow room and then flower them, and pull out the females and pop them into my new cabnit. time will tell..

Last edited:
G

I would lose the dome altogether for starting seedlings. I grow in vericulite and perlite not rockwool but the principle should be the same. Did you soak your rockwool cubes in a water solution with a ph about 4-4.5 before you used them? Rockwool will give excellent results but maintaining proper ph can be tricky. I think that your first seedlings died from dampening off from a too humid enviorment. Lose the dome and keep the cubes damp at all times but not wet. As far as nutes go wait a week or so and then start them on a weak dilute formula. It looks like you have these off to a good start now. Good luck and best wishes of a great harvest!!

D

dre86

Looks good. I would spray/mist them a little..The seed shell will come of easier that way

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
dre86 said:
Looks good. I would spray/mist them a little..The seed shell will come of easier that way
i just added a little water to each one with a spoon :chin:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Rudedude said:
I would lose the dome altogether for starting seedlings. I grow in vericulite and perlite not rockwool but the principle should be the same. Did you soak your rockwool cubes in a water solution with a ph about 4-4.5 before you used them? Rockwool will give excellent results but maintaining proper ph can be tricky. I think that your first seedlings died from dampening off from a too humid enviorment. Lose the dome and keep the cubes damp at all times but not wet. As far as nutes go wait a week or so and then start them on a weak dilute formula. It looks like you have these off to a good start now. Good luck and best wishes of a great harvest!!
I soaked the cubes over night in disstilled water. I did'nt check the PH of the water :yoinks:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
so far i've added 2 tablespoons of distilled water t5oday to each cube. Them seem content. I will add 2 more tomorrow

bluehaze2

When I used rockwool I would soak it in pH'ed water for a day to 'condition' it.
Got this tip from OG and it works.

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
i'm going to add two tablespoons of water to the cubes right now. they are sucking up the water pretty quick for their size

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
so i think i asked, but when should i start adding nutes? I will obviosuly start with Fox Farm grow big. I will be putting these babies in a hydro setup. And veg them for a week or so.

G

Looking good so far BBB. When are you putting them in the hydro unit? I'd do as little as possible right now but let them grow. There is a tendency to over-love lil dudettes but the best thing to do for a few days is let nature take it's course. What medium will they be in after they go into hydro, are you just going with bigger cubes or are you using a different medium? You will need a ph test kit and ph up and down to keep the ph at the ideal range for rockwool or wharever medium you use to avoid ph lock up. That stuff probably came with your hydro kit. Going to the hydro forum will get you in touch with other growers that use rockwool (or whatever medium that you're going to use). Happy gardening

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
here is an update, I awoke today to see that 8 of them are doing well. For some reason, one of the smaller ones was leaning over, not looking to well. I watered everything. Adding water to eash, I decided to add more from now on as they are bigger. I added 3 tablespoons to each cube compared to the 2 before. I am a little confused to why the little one is not looking so good, I hope it is lack of water. But plants that are twice it's size were doing great prior to watering. So I'm not sure about it. I put something in the cube to give it support. It's the last one in the back

Last edited:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Rudedude said:
Looking good so far BBB. When are you putting them in the hydro unit? I'd do as little as possible right now but let them grow. There is a tendency to over-love lil dudettes but the best thing to do for a few days is let nature take it's course. What medium will they be in after they go into hydro, are you just going with bigger cubes or are you using a different medium? You will need a ph test kit and ph up and down to keep the ph at the ideal range for rockwool or wharever medium you use to avoid ph lock up. That stuff probably came with your hydro kit. Going to the hydro forum will get you in touch with other growers that use rockwool (or whatever medium that you're going to use). Happy gardening

I will put them in a hydro unit when roots emerge from the bottom of the rockwoll. I will put them in a net pot with pellets as they are. I have a DWC system in my old grow room. That can hold 5 net pots. I have a few of them, so i will use two to veg these in my veg room. Only issue is, that the net pots i will be using are not the same ones for my new resivor for my new grow cab. It has it's own net pots that fit for it that are smaller, and can hold 6 plants. While i doubt i'd get over 6 females, i am iffy about how to remove the plant from the bigger net pot and into a smaller net pot for transfer. As I only have 6 new smaller net pots, i'd have 3 plants left over. Plus these smaller ones would not fit in my old DWC propperly. I will figure it out as time comes i guess.
:chin:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Here they are @ day 9 :wave:

The last one is having issues again. The stem is very narrow in the middle and it keeps falling over. I water it and used a pin to help to stand up, but the stem is very narrow in the middle. Looks like it was pinched. I dunno what's wrong with it. It was just fallen over one day. I water it, and it came back and was fine. day later it happened again and with water. it just keep getting worse. So now i have 8 healthy babies left :sasmokin:

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya BBB! :wave:
Just like with people, sometimes an individual plant just won't cooperate! Does the area that keeps bending look discolored or feel softer than the rest of the stem? If not, then it's just one of those difficult to explain happenings.

Up to you how long to baby it - you have enough others to give your time and attention to. I culled 2 plants in my recent run because they were too fussy and taking too much attention.

Others looking good - can you see roots coming out the bottom of the rockwool yet?

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Mr GreenJeans said:
Hiya BBB! :wave:
Just like with people, sometimes an individual plant just won't cooperate! Does the area that keeps bending look discolored or feel softer than the rest of the stem? If not, then it's just one of those difficult to explain happenings.

Up to you how long to baby it - you have enough others to give your time and attention to. I culled 2 plants in my recent run because they were too fussy and taking too much attention.

Others looking good - can you see roots coming out the bottom of the rockwool yet?
a few has one root sticking out the bottom. they are developing roots slowly compared to others. I dunno why.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Congrats on poppin those seeds Big Bud Bear :wave: Good thread too...learned a lot reading this
you can double pot when you transplant to a bigger netpot...

peace

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
-VT- said:
Congrats on poppin those seeds Big Bud Bear :wave: Good thread too...learned a lot reading this
you can double pot when you transplant to a bigger netpot...

peace
they would be put into a bigger net pot for vegging, then need to be moved into a smaller one for flower. I dont think i can pull it out without damageing roots

Latest posts

Latest posts