What's new

Need some tips for germing

G

I thought I would post since I do things a bit differently....

I just got some SOL Donk seeds and used this tech....

I didnt expect that donk would have any problem germinating since the strain is new...

I would recommend this technique on hard to germinate or old seeds....

But its also helpful getting all the plants to germinated at the same time....

1.... I soak the seeds till the hydrate and sink... about 12 hours....

2.... I remove them from the water and pop them all open with tweezers....

3.... Put them in paper towels till the roots are about 1/2"

4... transplant them and wait until the come up to put them under light....

Notes on 2... I take each seed and squeeze the seed edges until the pointy end pops open.... The advantage is that I know within 2 days all the seeds that will germinate or not(usually within hours).... if the root doesnt emerge almost immediately its not goin to germ.... I do this using some magnification.... strong reading glasses....

someone posted this method on OG and I started using it..... not everyone approves...

rotflmfao...

Last edited:

Mackawber

I was able to get 3 out of 10 of Gypsy's freebies --the old seeds he gives away for free with orders (Durban Poison X Skunk#1) to germinate last week. I'm not bitching--it was a challenge to get supposedly non-viable seed to germinate. The rest of my order sprouted easily in 3 days but the DPxS1 beans took their time to sprout (5 days).

I wonder what people do for really old seeds that they want to sprout? Seems to me a good warm soak with a couple drops of liquid karma or mollasses would help.

Ktaadn

Mackawber said:
I wonder what people do for really old seeds that they want to sprout? Seems to me a good warm soak with a couple drops of liquid karma or mollasses would help.

For really old seeds that don't want to sprout, there are ways to encourage them. Try lightly scuffing the edges with a match book striker, then drop them into a "pressure bomb".

It's an old Steve Tuck trick that really does work. A mayonnaise jar will work fine, or anything similar as long as it has a tight-sealed plastic lid. With an aquarium air pump, a piece of tubing, and some silicone sealant you can force stubborn beans to pop. I don't have a diagram handy, but someone here likely does.

Mackawber

Hey, I had another DPxS#1 (Gypsy Freebie dead non viable old seed) sprout on me today after planting it 10 days ago! Miracles never cease! Thats 4 out of 10 I got to sprout from supposedly no good seeds!

Hey GNW--can you expand on your pressure bomb method for old seeds?

Ktaadn

It's really simple to make. Just drill a hole in the lid of the jar so that the tubing fits tightly, and seal it up with silicone. Any air leaks and it won't work. Just fill the jar with water (preferrably RO water), drop the seeds in and close it up, then turn the pump on. The pressue created will force water into the seeds and encourage them to pop. Once they crack, just remove 'em and plant 'em.

G

nice work big bud bear! those little ladies (hopefully haha :D) are lookin preeeety good :)

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
i had my harvest a few weeks ago, one bubblelicous plant. few o's from her. very nice stuff.

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
here are my white rhino's.......

I got about 7 onces from one female bubblelicous plant

blAsia

nice thread, good job on the grow BBB.

a method i decided to try was using the small net cubes 2", filled with a mix of peat, perlite (small granules) and verm (small granules). That way I dont have to do anything but place them in the soil mixture without digging or transplanting in another way. You can also see the good root development. I may do this with my clones on their first transplant as well.

I would have pics, but the seeds were old and didn't get far... just a taproot that slendered out and died.

I think it will work with some better seeds. ONE other great benefit is that they fit PERFECTLY in the small dixie cups, one also fits on top if needed. When watering just fill the dixie cup to the desired amount and lower your basket back in the water... EASY.

I agree with using some rooting hormone, I also add some superthrive... I add that sht to everything though. I freakin hate seeds, clones are somewhat easier.

Latest posts

Latest posts