What's new

Zenith feminized limited edition

Ras Kali Rasta

6 Weeks. They were going along slowly due to overwatering and low light with all the rain we've been getting. Really putting on a growth spurt now.

Attachments

• 20231204_110553.jpg
    20231204_110553.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 20231204_110600.jpg
    20231204_110600.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 53
  • 20231204_110607.jpg
    20231204_110607.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20231204_110616.jpg
    20231204_110616.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 20231204_110621.jpg
    20231204_110621.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231204_110632.jpg
    20231204_110632.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 64

Ras Kali Rasta

they are growing with good vigour, maybe you don't realize it so much if you visit them daily, but the weekly updaters show great progress. The chlorosis is probably from too much rain and lack of direct light, or wrong ph too.

Hey dubi,
Thanks for chiming in. I've only been visiting them once or twice a week. I guess they've been progressing well the whole time, but I was surprised to see them explode so much in the last week, especially as I had pretty aggressively defoliated after the week 5 photos. It looks like I'm getting on top of the leaf septoria. The iron deficiency, I think was mostly due to overwatering, as it is clearing up now that the rain has let up, and the plants are big enough to suck up excess moisture more quickly.
They have matured very quickly and are showing preflowers now. Aromas are strengthening, too.
I'm super excited about this strain, especially given the comments you made about it recently on the Thai Chi thread.

yoann

Hey there :)

wanted to share some pictures of my zenith plants, I grow them in 11 L coco coir, feed with canna coco, EC 2 in this time of flowering (6 weeks). I add cal-mag and mineral magic, ph 6,2. I have them under DLI led, quite powerfull lamps that I like since I use them. I started with 24 seeds and applied a strict selection, indeed all plants didn't liked well the coco. So atm I've 11 healthy plants. All plants didn't rooted easily, and I succeded to get clones from 3 plants, using nothing. Indeed I was running out of hormons.

I observed a stretch of about 500% (plants multiplied their height by about 5), I ran vegetation period for about 5 weeks the time to collect cuttings, at 18h/day. 2 weeks after switching them to 12h/day, I switched them to 14h/day to see, and it appeared that on 11 plants, only 3 appreciated the longer enlightment, others kinda reveg. Indeed such enlightment programs work out better for indica and hybrids.

For now aromas are in the candy spectrum, one is clearly sour lemon candy, 2 are bubblegum like. I removed one plant because a severe rotten meat smell.

Attachments

• 20231208_065324.jpg
    20231208_065324.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 20231208_065406.jpg
    20231208_065406.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 20231208_065316.jpg
    20231208_065316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20231208_065345.jpg
    20231208_065345.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20231208_065352.jpg
    20231208_065352.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73

Ras Kali Rasta

I'm still battling the leaf septoria, unfortunately. The runt was culled. Being less vigorous, she was heavily infected. Her sisters were heavily defoliated, today, to remove any nodes with infected leaves. They were also sprayed with copper oxychloride. I need to be more conscientious in spraying every 7 days. If anyone has any better solutions, let me know.

Attachments

• 20231211_121048.jpg
    20231211_121048.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 20231211_121036.jpg
    20231211_121036.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20231211_121026.jpg
    20231211_121026.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20231211_121013.jpg
    20231211_121013.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20231211_121000.jpg
    20231211_121000.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 57

yoann

Hello, did you observed in your zenith plants the pheno that is on the first picture following ? It makes like a profusion of small branches at the top with buds on the end. It may me think that it could make a sort of hollow big ball at the end of flowering. Next to it I sent a picture of spear head shape as all other pheno are. Which genetic this plant would get this particular feature ?
Aswell I've one plant that has quite small pistils, like twice smaller compared to other plant's pistils. Which genetic it could come from betweem malawi, zamal, thaï or panama ?

Attachments

• 393756085_2436819413156423_8150584172380756005_n.jpg
    393756085_2436819413156423_8150584172380756005_n.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 76
  • 403603329_397471472635651_7048154584009835631_n.jpg
    403603329_397471472635651_7048154584009835631_n.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 74

yoann

I'm still battling the leaf septoria, unfortunately. The runt was culled. Being less vigorous, she was heavily infected. Her sisters were heavily defoliated, today, to remove any nodes with infected leaves. They were also sprayed with copper oxychloride. I need to be more conscientious in spraying every 7 days. If anyone has any better solutions, let me know.
to be honest, when it comes to plants, my mindset is a multiplication of a stalinian and a nazi educational thinking.... Using hard products you will spoil your end product. It's not the fault of the genetic, it's just bad luck within the environment you offer to your plants. One point should be taken into consideration is that zenith like panama show an high level of terpinolen, that is an essential oil that has great properties as fungus, virus and bacteria killer, it makes this genetic number one for harvesting in harsh environment like tropical wet, rainforest and indoor. So it's surprising that you get problems with septoria, perhaps the diagnosis is wrong.
I would suggest to keep in mind it could be something else, and that without precise analysis it's barely impossible to conclude scientifically on the cause. From what I see on your pictures, your plants are highly exposed to UV, environment seem dry, soil seem clayey and ferrous. Trees bark is dry, no moss, it could be like dry littoral. Maybe you must build a greenhouse, to increase local humidity, and add humus into your soil. In the Clark's book of Marijuana conoisseur (that is an old but simple and honest reference), the ideal soil is described as being 70% soil, 20% humus (rotten leaves) and 10% sand.... idk if it can help... good luck anyway :)

revegeta666

Hello, did you observed in your zenith plants the pheno that is on the first picture following ? It makes like a profusion of small branches at the top with buds on the end. It may me think that it could make a sort of hollow big ball at the end of flowering. Next to it I sent a picture of spear head shape as all other pheno are. Which genetic this plant would get this particular feature ?
Aswell I've one plant that has quite small pistils, like twice smaller compared to other plant's pistils. Which genetic it could come from betweem malawi, zamal, thaï or panama ?
That looks interesting. No topping and she did that herself? How many shoots?

yoann

That looks interesting. No topping and she did that herself? How many shoots?
21 shoots starting from regular under lateral branches, counting the top bud. I'ts like instead growing as a spear, each buds would have grown a small branche so that it reache out, and start to form a balloon of small buds for now, at 6,5 weeks old into flowering. There is even small branches growing on small branches, with popcorn buds atm. And no topping at all, it's a natural expression.

lower branches show same expressions at every intersections.

Last edited:

Cactus Squatter

21 shoots starting from regular under lateral branches, counting the top bud. I'ts like instead growing as a spear, each buds would have grown a small branche so that it reache out, and start to form a balloon of small buds for now, at 6,5 weeks old into flowering. There is even small branches growing on small branches, with popcorn buds atm. And no topping at all, it's a natural expression.

lower branches show same expressions at every intersections.
That’s pretty crazy. The only time I’ve seen plants do that is if they reveg after flowering for a bit. Have your dark cycles stayed consistent or did it get out of what some how for a bit?

Ras Kali Rasta

My Zenith girls are bouncing back well after the massive defoliation. The Copper Oxychloride seems to be working. Last year I thought that I had calcium deficiency, but it appears now that it was leaf septoria all along, as there is tons of calcium in the mix now. In fact, too much (or at least too much calcium carbonate. Ph is too high as @dubi suggested. I'm getting iron deficiency. Not so bad as when overwatered, though, as expected.
20231214_124557.jpg
20231214_124355.jpg

@yoann as @Cactus Squatter says, I think your plants may have tried to reveg and then continued flowering. There is definitely some reveg action going on.

yoann

That’s pretty crazy. The only time I’ve seen plants do that is if they reveg after flowering for a bit. Have your dark cycles stayed consistent or did it get out of what some how for a bit?
currently reveg phenomenon is very possible since as I mentionned in my introduction after I put them in flowering during weeks I put them 14h/day as an attempt to increase the mass. I observed that only 3 plants appreciated it. It's like empiric, for exemple some strains like cannatonic are known to offer twice more flower weight when doing 18/6 for vegetation, 12/12 for 2 weeks to induce flowering, then 14/10 for 4 weeks and back to 12/12 until ripening. Some strain have an increase in mass but a decrease in potency with this protocol so it's not a general science. Then some strain just reveg.

But it's the only plant who react like this, so I was thinking it was more a genetical trait. And I've done many revegetation, I never saw this kind of pattern with small branches.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to see you are winning the battle against the septoria @Ras Kali Rasta :yes: As you correctly pointed out, septoria usually spreads in very wet conditions and after constant overwaterings. I always treat it with copper (both foliar and to the roots), letting the soil dry as much as possible to make sure the fungus dies from the roots-soil, then usually the plant slowly starts to recover if the case was not serious.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome @yoann to ICMag and thanks for choosing Zenith for your current grow! :)

I would not select-discard Zenith plants based on growing traits, every Zenith plants has the potential to produce different outstanding smoke, the complexity of some at the end cannot be appreciated by evaluating growing traits or how the phenotypes react to your enviroment. So for anyone interested in doing a serious Zenith selection: clone every plant and don't discard anything until you have tried them all, you never know where the magic is.

The problems you are experiencing are because you increased the photoperiod in early flowering from 12/12 to 14/10 and plants tried to reveg (go back to growth stage) You never have to do this with sativas (or even indicas), perhaps only with autoflowering genetics. To increase photoperiod in flowering with photoperiod genetics is a terrible idea. I would recommend to set back the lights to 12/12.

Ras Kali Rasta

Glad to see you are winning the battle against the septoria @Ras Kali Rasta :yes: As you correctly pointed out, septoria usually spreads in very wet conditions and after constant overwaterings. I always treat it with copper (both foliar and to the roots), letting the soil dry as much as possible to make sure the fungus dies from the roots-soil, then usually the plant slowly starts to recover if the case was not serious.

Thanks for the tips, dubi. Any advice on the form of copper and concentration for foliar and root drench?

On the subject of increased photoperiods in flower BAC nutrients used to recommend switching to 13/11 after initiating for a week or two with 12/12, then switching back in the last couple weeks. They claimed increased yields. I was never game to try it. 14/10 is definitely too much.

yoann

Welcome @yoann to ICMag and thanks for choosing Zenith for your current grow! :)

I would not select-discard Zenith plants based on growing traits, every Zenith plants has the potential to produce different outstanding smoke, the complexity of some at the end cannot be appreciated by evaluating growing traits or how the phenotypes react to your enviroment. So for anyone interested in doing a serious Zenith selection: clone every plant and don't discard anything until you have tried them all, you never know where the magic is.

The problems you are experiencing are because you increased the photoperiod in early flowering from 12/12 to 14/10 and plants tried to reveg (go back to growth stage) You never have to do this with sativas (or even indicas), perhaps only with autoflowering genetics. To increase photoperiod in flowering with photoperiod genetics is a terrible idea. I would recommend to set back the lights to 12/12.
Thanks for your wise words @dubi :)

In fact I ordered 4 packs but I knew from the beginning I had only 12 spots, but in other seeds bank I have had so much weird things with seeds that I always order more seeds than I have place.

I was kinda sad having to keep some and remove others because place, and finally all seeds germinated perfectly, so I had to make choices and that was not really a desired selection. Therefore I probably discriminated those I judged like less vigourous in the coco, but it was pure speculations since as you said "never know where the magic is".

Smell is aswell subjective, I remember when in my childhood I was playing in the vast fields of hemp of my grand grand fathers, the roadkill smell is common in hemp, but it may change in the time. An another terrible smell I have in mind was the oregon cut throat from second generation genetic, a magnificient plant that turn red, but I qualified the smell as fishy.

I already put them back at 12/12 when I observed that majority of tall ones didn't grew bigger, concluding it wasn't for them.

And about my clones, I got 3 rooting alone but I admit I didn't offered the perfect condition.

Hopefully zenith will come back in stock somedays and I will redo a batch, indeed cloning include "long" vegetation and I would have like to trigger flowering at 2 or 3 weeks old, so maybe I will just rely on feminized seeds :)

And I wanna try panama now, I tried panama x malawi but never did the pure version for now. Next batch :)

yoann

Thanks for the tips, dubi. Any advice on the form of copper and concentration for foliar and root drench?

On the subject of increased photoperiods in flower BAC nutrients used to recommend switching to 13/11 after initiating for a week or two with 12/12, then switching back in the last couple weeks. They claimed increased yields. I was never game to try it. 14/10 is definitely too much.
@Ras Kali Rasta it was this article which gave me the curiosity to stress my plants with light: https://www.elevatedbotanist.com/cultivation/cannabis-photoperiod-hacks

Ras Kali Rasta

I gave the Zenith girls a foliar feed of micro nutrients yesterday. About 0.75g of ferrus sulphate + 0.25g of my balanced micro mix in 1L of water. Today the leaves have black patches. I don't know whether I sprayed too late in the morning, or the concentration was too high, or whether the tiny bit of copper sulphate caused an overload, having sprayed copper oxychloride 4 or 5 days ago.
Or is it completely unrelated?
Any thoughts?

20231216_174258.jpg
20231216_174258.jpg
20231216_174315.jpg

Attachments

• 20231216_174159.jpg
    20231216_174159.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30