What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
You know you live in the country if...

you're driving on the tar and gravel road, a mile from your house, and you see 2 red tail hawks come out of the woods and fly 15 feet in front of your windshield,
and 1 of them is carrying a big bloody squirrel carcass in his talons and you have to slam your brakes so you don't hit both of them...

redlaser

Veteran

Every year, about this time, the ladybugs swarm your house...

Don't get me wrong, I love having ladybugs in my garden all Spring, Summer, and early Autumn...

But the crops are all in, and the gardens are being "put to bed" for the winter...The ladybugs have been swarming my house lightly for a week now, but today there are at least 10,000 of these "buggers" on the outside walls of my house... A couple hundred have made their way inside, either thru the crack between the window screen and frame, or just by landing on me and coming in when I open the door...

Oh well, time to get the canister vac, and vac those bastards up....

PS... as I finish typing this post, I see one land on my desk and walk right by my keyboard...

The ladybugs show up here in the fall as well, but they stay away from the house. They gather on a southwest facing hillside at the base of trees and seem to be going into cracks in the ground. Same spot as last year. Don't see more than a thousand it seems at once.
Thought about relocating them to get some use out of them. Using a pantyhose in a vacuum will capture them and since they don't need food over winter you just add a moist paper towel to them in the pantyhose and that's suppose to be enough to maintain them.
ohioline.osu.edu/hse-fact/old_1030html

MicroRoy

picture.php

mowood3479

Veteran
When every spring u have to go collect ur horses off the neighbors lawn...
N when ur neighbors say we don't call the cops up on the mountain.. That's for city folks.

mowood3479

Veteran
When u walk out into ur deck and see a big bull moose dropping its rack and posturing at ur truck.. Moose r so weird/dumb seeming..

Swamp Thang

Veteran
You know you live in the country if you are sure as hell that there will never be peace between the Hatfields and the McCoys.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
You know you live in the country if...

this is what you see when you go down your driveway in the winter.....

Attachments

• snow in driveway.jpg
    snow in driveway.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 11

redlaser

Veteran
Earlier this year we were watching a couple adult turkeys walking across the front yard with their dozen foot tall baby's in tow. As they walk up the driveway a black bear is coming out of the woods about 50 feet away and at first he doesn't see them. Then he notices them and starts to follow them, I let out a loud shrieking whistle and the bear turns and looks, puts his head down like a scolded kid and then headed back into the woods.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

this clown breaks in for grannies angel food cake every week.......

aaff7919_zpsapfzja1z.jpg

MicroRoy

Over the years I have kept a pasture for large stock. With corrals around a couple of barns for small stock. Goats sheep chickens and the like.

When I was younger I would use a three bin compost system. I would every week move the compost into a pile in the garden. Then move the contents of the middle bin to the last and then the first into the middle. Then change the bedding into the barn into the first.

When I started getting older I decide to get a real job and cut the garden back. So I started just dumping straight to the pasture. That got boring kind of quick. So I got some rope and a few stakes and started dumping in a patern.

After a couple of years I started getting small aircraft traffic around my place. Then shortly after if they saw me out on the place they (small planes and helicopters) give me a wing wave.

Thats one of my little joys of living in the country.

Coba

Veteran

You know all those hot country girls Stoner4life keeps posting pictures of were probably pregnant at 15, married at 16, divorced by 18, re-married by 21, and a grandma by 30.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Me yesterday.
When you are out back and hear geese in the distance coming your way you run into the shed and grab a shotgun in case they come over and low enough.