What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yeoman: 2011 Outdoor

Yeoman

Haha.. Its a great place to be. Small towns with a general store and a post office. Gotta love it.

I am very envious of the Tom Hill Haze. I have the beans but havent dropped them yet. next year. I am a haze lover and have heard only accolades about Toms product. Please let me know how that goes. When do you expect those to finish outdoors?

This will be a great month alright. Looking more forward to the August "Stretch" myself, but the light deprives will love July.

Regards,

odogyouknow

Ya Mon!

You're really looking great over there on Scorpion Hill man. I was looking at some of the first pics from back in may and then ones from yesterday and it's just a trip. lots of hard work.

I wanted to ask you how you amended your 6' smarties, aside from the roots base it looked like 1? bag of the pharoc and some big down to earth sack? What mix did you come up with and do you like it? Loose enough for ya? how often do you have to water? I remember nomaad from last year claiming to put like 2 bags of 8 c.f. of perlite in just a 200.

Anyways, wanted to ask about the mix before we're looking at some stretch and buds!

Major props on the updates too, quality livin' and people representing shasta county.

Peace.

mapinguari

Veteran
Hey Yeo, note that it's Deep Chunk x Haze f2 that I've got two plants of. According to Tom Hill, this generation is likely to produce all kinds of combinations of all kinds of traits from each parent. So I really have no idea about the expected harvest time! I would not try to grow a straight Haze here unless in a greenhouse. Actually the one that I'm most sure is female has a pretty sativa-y gangly structure so far, but fat leaves. Hopefully it'll get lanky and fill out some more. But even if it doesn't, I am just excited to grow something unknown and so full of potential. Hoping for the best!

Yeoman

Odogyouknow - I ammended the 707 with 1 x 4 cu ft bag of #4 perlite and 1 x 50lb bag of greensand.

mapinguari - I wish you the best as well.. I'd be very interested how it all turns out!

25ftGreatWhite - Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Yeoman

I remember nomaad from last year claiming to put like 2 bags of 8 c.f. of perlite in just a 200.

If he claimed it, I'm sure he did it. Seems Nomaad scrutinizes all possibilities before executing then goes with the logical decision then knocks it out of the park. Half the reason I used bagged 707 was because of the water retention it has. I used my 1 x bag of perlite in the bottom 1/6th of each 6' pot for easier wicking capability. With that in mind I decided against more perlite. I will be watering my biggins' for the second time in 2 months in a couple days.

Regards,

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i feel like an idiot for going and buying 30 and 45 gal smartpots when i could have just used the 707 right in their grow bags.....argh theres always next year...

im tempted to throw a few more outside in those bags and get some headstash smoke..

mapinguari

Veteran
If he claimed it, I'm sure he did it. Seems Nomaad scrutinizes all possibilities before executing then goes with the logical decision then knocks it out of the park. Half the reason I used bagged 707 was because of the water retention it has. I used my 1 x bag of perlite in the bottom 1/6th of each 6' pot for easier wicking capability. With that in mind I decided against more perlite. I will be watering my biggins' for the second time in 2 months in a couple days.

Regards,

Yeoman, would you please explain how you decide when to water? I think I have watered too often and too shallow in the past, but I'm looking for tips on how to gauge how long to go.

jescowhite

Yeoman, would you please explain how you decide when to water? I think I have watered too often and too shallow in the past, but I'm looking for tips on how to gauge how long to go.

Great question ... Loving this grow BTW, definitely learning some tricks for next year. :artist:

Yeoman

Watering

Watering

mapinguari and jescowhite - With the 6' smartpots full of a water retaining medium I dig down on the southern side (typically the drier side) of the smartpot. I look for the coolish damp dirt. If that dirt is within 2"- 6" I do not water. I have plenty of water on site, but my policy is to usually let the ladies ask for it. Semi-droopy lower leaves are typically my key. I'm a true believer that a little thirst shock is good. I will water if I'm top feeding, regardless of whether they need it or not. I've used a moisture meter in the past with success. Just don't need it after a while. Again, I'm not saying this is how you should do it; just how I do it. My decision to water also takes into account the 10 day forecast, stage of growth (veg/flower), strains of plants, and whether I am feeding it just watering. Letting a plant show symptoms of water deprevity can be like Russian roulette if you're not careful or know what to look for. IMO. But again, nothing about this is rocket science.

The smaller smartpots are watered everyday, and the 30 gal 707 growbags about 2-3 times a week. Same grow medium, just the smaller containers get to become a higher constant temperature quicker then the big pots, allowing the water to evaporate quicker, ultimately requiring more watering.

I water the sides of all the pots and growbags on site by gently pulling to side away from the soil around the top of the pot. It allows for a deeper watering and seems to work fine. Most of my experience comes from experimentation and emulating those that have techniques that work better than mine. The last time I looked there was 1267 ways to skin a cat.

Regards,

Yeoman you're a shark! Got a question about bud rot. What preventative measures do you take to ensure that your flowers aren't affected? Has this ever been an issue in your gardens?

jescowhite

I finished my light dep today! Woot! Anyhow I'd throw this out there as I had to spray for bud rot, I'd rotate every 3 days between oxidate, decree (it is specifically for botrytis), and actinovate. Seems to have held the botrytis at bay, not too much lost to it.

Yeoman

Yeoman you're a shark! Got a question about bud rot. What preventative measures do you take to ensure that your flowers aren't affected? Has this ever been an issue in your gardens?

Never really ever been a problem with my gardens; Im lucky w/ the environment that I grow in. When I do use 'something' I dont use stuff that you can buy at the local growshop.

Regards,

Yeoman

Update - July 11th

Update - July 11th

Greeting everyone.

Sorry about the delay since the last update. Its been a fairly busy week. Did a couple foliars, dropped 70 gallons of tea on the ladies this morning and watered for the 2nd time at day 60.

Everything is doing well. I continue to train the ladies in the 6' pots by keeping them extended under the hortinova trellis. Most of the plants in the 6' pots are just about the same diameter as the pots themselves. Big and bushy and thick; full bodied.

The light deprives are loving life as well. The scent is to die for every evening when the tarp is pulled. They have been flowering for 3 weeks.

Here are some pics..

picture.php

Green Crack - July 7th

picture.php

Sour Diesel - July 7th

picture.php

Sour Diesels - July 7th

picture.php

Green Crack - July 7th

picture.php

Grand Daddy Purple - July 7th

picture.php

White Rhino - July 7th

picture.php

Jilly Bean - July 7th

picture.php

Green Crack - July 5th

picture.php

Green Crack - July 5th

picture.php

Jack Flash vs Lighter - July 6th

picture.php

Off the grid Hashing with a canoe paddle in a kiddy-pool

picture.php

Green Crack in 6' smartpot - July 9th

picture.php

Hand built timber-framed Mess (80% complete)

The ladies are growing inches everyday. I cant wait till the next update. The largest plants in the garden are now the Jilly Beans; followed by the Mr Nice and Jack Flash. The Killer Queens are definately a stout plant. I look forward to seeing how they finish out.

Until next time..

Regards,

mapinguari

Veteran
mapinguari and jescowhite - With the 6' smartpots full of a water retaining medium I dig down on the southern side (typically the drier side) of the smartpot. I look for the coolish damp dirt. If that dirt is within 2"- 6" I do not water. I have plenty of water on site, but my policy is to usually let the ladies ask for it. Semi-droopy lower leaves are typically my key. I'm a true believer that a little thirst shock is good. I will water if I'm top feeding, regardless of whether they need it or not. I've used a moisture meter in the past with success. Just don't need it after a while. Again, I'm not saying this is how you should do it; just how I do it. My decision to water also takes into account the 10 day forecast, stage of growth (veg/flower), strains of plants, and whether I am feeding it just watering. Letting a plant show symptoms of water deprevity can be like Russian roulette if you're not careful or know what to look for. IMO. But again, nothing about this is rocket science.

The smaller smartpots are watered everyday, and the 30 gal 707 growbags about 2-3 times a week. Same grow medium, just the smaller containers get to become a higher constant temperature quicker then the big pots, allowing the water to evaporate quicker, ultimately requiring more watering.

I water the sides of all the pots and growbags on site by gently pulling to side away from the soil around the top of the pot. It allows for a deeper watering and seems to work fine. Most of my experience comes from experimentation and emulating those that have techniques that work better than mine. The last time I looked there was 1267 ways to skin a cat.

Regards,

Thanks, Yeoman, that's really helpful. I've also been wondering about the edges of my (homemade ghetto) smartpots. They are fencing covered with landscape fabric, and I think that exacerbates the tendency to create space at the edge between the soil and the fabric, and thus to lose moisture.

Butte said that keeping even moisture was the challenge that led him to go to trenches this year.

This sounds like part of the solution!

Those are interesting thoughts on the smaller smartpots getting a higher internal temperature, leading to faster evaporation. My pots vary in size, and I've tried to compensate by using different lengths of drip tubing in each, but that's one thing I may not have taken into account enough.

So, I don't see any drip lines in your pots, Yeoman. How are you watering?

Finally, I think someone wrote here on ICMag somewhere that a "thorough" watering might be about 10% of container volume worth of water. How does that sound to you?

Enjoy these cooler temps, Yeoman!

Latest posts

Latest posts