What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

y the fuck do ppl get so "hung-up" about dreadlocks????

NOKUY

Veteran
yah ive had a dread thread here and there on here, but sometimes shit ppl say just erks me.

my wife and 5 month old son are visiting the grandparents in tx today, and my wife has 1 dread in her hair, and i haven't cut or combed my hair in 6 months..i have had dreads over half my life.

we prolly won't be cutting hunters hair, and if he wants dreads or not is his business.

but my parents give her shit about what dreads represent and how they are soooo bad.

my mom spends a few hundred buks a month to get her hair did, and yah it always looks "nice", (not my taste tho)...but i dont give her shit about it.

.....why the fuck do ppl need to judge other ppl so harshly on such a meaningless issue?

dreads are the only hairstyle that i personally like...i don't care what anyone does w/ their own hair..... and i like how they spit non-conformity... but really it's just fukin hair.

off rant :tiphat:

NOKUY

Veteran
i mean really what is soooo wrong with livin' in the colorado mtns, growin' weed, goin ridin' (bmx and snowboarding), and growin' dreads...and listenin to eminem constantly???

i don't get this fukin' world???

G

greenmatter

if the only meaningless thing that people ever judge you on is your dreads you are a lucky man yukon ....... no offense meant to yours, but my mom is a major pain in the ass about stupid shit like that. roll with it man, grow them dreads!

C

Chong_Irie

"and I like how they spit non-conformity"... that is your answer right there.

smokefrogg

Veteran
if it's about being a true rasta and following selassie and you're preachin' this non stop dread, then i could get how folks could get weird about it and give you a hard time, folks still need to back off and give you space unless you are the one getting up in their space preaching and whatnot

if it's just style, a look you like, well shit man they need to back off and give you some space there too

sorry you're getting crap for it that's not warranted

...my wife had her hair dreaded, it was a style thing, it looked super hot and i dug it, but man there was no way i could run my fingers through her hair, or even really touch it much at all, as hot as it looked i was happy to have her normal ultra straight hair back when she was over the dreads

hippydan

People will find any excuse to judge others, whether it's hair, religion, job, clothes, etc. It's human nature unfortunately. I'd love to be able to grow dreads, however I don't really find my hair is cut out for the job so I keep it clean shaved. I get the "oh you're a skinhead" comments, but really it's just the only hairstyle that I've been comfortable with. I'm sorry you've gotta deal with bullshit over something so insignificant, best to just ignore the haters man, it gives them a reason to keep bothering you about it. I'm a firm believer in "thou shalt not judge, lest ye be judged" and try to live by it as much I can. **** the haters. Keep it real, stay safe.

G

greenmatter

i mean really what is soooo wrong with livin' in the colorado mtns, growin' weed, goin ridin' (bmx and snowboarding), and growin' dreads...and listenin to eminem constantly???

i don't get this fukin' world???

:laughing: nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing,nothing and noth.... eminem,WTF ... dude get a haircut ....... KIDDING man ..... live your life without hurting anyone and you will be good, trying to live without pissing some folks off... impossible

T

TrichyTrichy

I think- because dread hair smells sometimes :hide: but fuck it- it's your life (nose)
eminem is listening to deadmau5 as of late

BongRipkenJR.

Dreads are great for rastas! Dem bumbaclot crazy bald heads wouldn't understand. Da I man should just grow I mans dread, smoke your spliff and and watch babylon fall, seen!

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thinking i want some in my beard as it is quiet healthy now a days. Wife says i'll have to move out if i do...
(Reeeeally want to do it now :smoke:)

A

apep

Nothin wrong with bmx riding either, Im 31 and still whippin my warpig.

L

longearedfriend

y the fuck do ppl get so "hung-up" about ppl getting "hung-up" about dreadlocks????

this is what you can say to someone who says bad stuff about dreads

your_opinion.jpg

I find a girl with dreadlocks so attractive

in my mind it shows dedication and commitment

plus having to face judgement...

I saw a lot people with dreadlocks up to their asses, and they are like monkey people
cavemen of sorts

funky for sure

there are of course dreadlock elitists out there too..
thats something else..

i was gonna dread my hair but i got a job offer... and i really wanted that job...

get a hair cut.... and get a real job....................!

imgres

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
If it's because it's the way you like your hair, that's your choice.

Only thing I ask my friend is to try and keep it clean and healthy. I mean some of those with dreads have hair that not only smells offensive, but it actually is unhygienic. If you let it get all filthy and disheveled, then that says something about you whether you like it or not. Just like not having clean teeth, finger nails etc...implies that you are not a person who takes care of themselves.

My only other concern is that you attract attention and get profiled if you live/travel in certain parts, which can be an issue depending on where that is. It seems a little bit unnecessary. It's fine if you don't do anything illegal. If you do though, then it doesn't seem wise.

Personally I like my hair long, but it attracts too much attention. I've rarely seen clean dreads. They usually get pretty funky. I mean damn. At least throw some essential oils on them.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I could care less about your hair. Your spelling and grammar suck, though.

NOKUY

Veteran
I could care less about your hair. Your spelling and grammar suck, though.

...it's "i couldn't care less"... unless you really could care a bit less..lol

my spelling is and my grammer is far better than yours tho.

good luck w/ that

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
...it's "i couldn't care less"... unless you really could care a bit less..lol

my spelling is and my grammer is far better than yours tho.

good luck w/ that

Um, no it's not. Also, 'tho' is not a word.