What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos got the best Afghan?

revegeta666

Familiar with the expression "bite me" reveg?
Come on please stop being so bitter, and dance a little bit. As I said the thread is called "Who's got the best Afghan", not "who's the biggest cunt". Familiar with the expression "if you can't take them don't dish them" mate?

Last edited:

grayeyes

Come on please stop being so bitter, and dance a little bit. As I said the thread is called "Who's got the best Afghan", not "who's the biggest cunt". Familiar with the expression "if you can't take them don't dish them" mate?
All the way down, bucko.

need4weed

Veteran
The old ML seeds had some nice phenos..That is where Neville found his Ortega 15 named after the guy who sent him the seeds.. He labeled his keepers as AfgT and AfgS
I'm only familiar with MLI from sensi, grew out half a pack years ago, one pheno in particular grew different to any plant I've had before. Hard to describe. It resembled a tree 🌳 like a giant lollipop with a huge trunk . Most definitely different to anything you see in 99% of varieties

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, ML is from Sensi.. Sensi is who got all of Neville's work after he passed away ..Ortega is pure ML..

"The Maple Leaf line provided Neville with 2 plants he labeled Afghan T/S" .

Last edited:

revegeta666

The old ML seeds had some nice phenos..That is where Neville found his Ortega 15 named after the guy who sent him the seeds.. He labeled his keepers as AfgT and AfgS
I was actually confused about the Ortega thing because Mr Nice has a strain called like that, yet this NLD pheno doesn't come up in that strain but it does in the strain Nordle, and also Sensi's black domina.

I'm only familiar with MLI from sensi, grew out half a pack years ago, one pheno in particular grew different to any plant I've had before. Hard to describe. It resembled a tree 🌳 like a giant lollipop with a huge trunk . Most definitely different to anything you see in 99% of varieties
From what I understand, the Maple Leaf seeds Sensi got from Jim Ortega are not a single line but rather a collection of a few Afghan hashplant lines which would explain the higher diversity compared to other Afghans.

All the way down, bucko.
Please send me a postcard when you get to the bottom, cowboy. Oh wait you're already there.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Originally ML was recommended only as breeding stock due to the large variations.. The packs came with 50? seeds if I read that correctly. The packs came with lots of seeds.

This is a post by Neville about ML..

The Maple Leaf came from a guy known to me as Jim Ortega. We traded seeds for a while. Not only did he supply me with Maple Leaf, but also Garlic Bud and Kush 4. The cannabis smoking world owes him a lot.

The Maple Leaf line provided me with a plant that I labeled Afghan T. This plant is the mother of Super/Ultra Skunk and also crossed well with HzC.

Let me say one more thing about ML AfgT. This plant had exactly the same smell as Sams best SK1 but more so. It is the true Skunk archetype. I do not believe for one N.Y. minute that Afghani#1 is behind the SK1, which IMO gives credence to the Mendecino Joe story about SK1.

The world owes you a big Thank You Jim!
Let me be the first to say that I appreciate the work that you have done.
N.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
From what I understand, the Maple Leaf seeds Sensi got from Jim Ortega are not a single line but rather a collection of a few Afghan hashplant lines which would explain the higher diversity compared to other Afghans.
That's ortega mns, even though it's labeled nl1 x Nl5, reading the various (many) posts you can find something about it ...
I don't know if MLI is related to mns ortega or (as Nevil said) is Afg T x Afg S....

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If im following Nevill posts correctly he made this and was pleased with the outcome.
Pure Afgh x sK#1..I'll make some using my selections and eval what's produced. I prefer to add in some NLD phenotypes. These seem to produce the best quality plants.

revegeta666

If im following Nevill posts correctly he made this and was pleased with the outcome.
Pure Afgh x sK#1..I'll make some using my selections and eval what's produced. I prefer to add in some NLD phenotypes. These seem to produce the best quality plants.
I had read the other stuff you said before but it seems I missed this comment. I'd appreciate if you had the source for it. It was indeed my favourite of the 30 seeds, as I have told other users I think this plant has something special that makes it truly relaxing, physically and mentally, rather than just narcotic. I have grown it many times now, 9 I think. Not the most fun plant to grow as it is quite delicate with nitrogen and also needs support because of the flimsy branches.

revegeta666

Someone asked Neville what was the best funk.. His reply was AfgTxSk#1. He also stated NL1 is the only good pure Afghani male line Nevile said he had.. It takes time to find all his posts. I'm not gonna do that again lol.
That's fine, I was just hoping you maybe had it at hand. Also I was told a while back that the original NL1 is what they later sold as the Hindu Kush, the NL2 became the actual northern lights, and so on. If I understood correctly the NL crosses went form 1 to 11, from the most "indica" to the most "sativa". Does this fit what you read from Neville?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pipeline, original of what? Another indica hybrid that will be a once off? Gee that's moving stuff along.

I just started some pure Afhg seeds from Todd. I don't have any pure Afgh, just outcrosses. Its time to find one I like., I do have a BOG Afgh pheno I like alot. I found her in a 2014 sour mix pack.. Shes prob LSD or SLS
View attachment 18785265

Bubblegum afghan is where its at, I think. BOG, that BushyOldGrower has it down. Is his stock from afghan?

Here's the origin of my line. In 2010 grew some Deep Chunk hybrid seed to test for Hill Temple Collective and I think Brother Monk, and pollinated the garden with 2-3 deep Deep Chunk males.

original cross using 2-3 deep chunk males to hybridize with 4 DC hybrid lines in the garden:

1. (OG Kush x Jamaican Jam) x DC)x DC
2. (Bubba Kush x DC) x DC
3. (Bubba Kush x Bubblegum) x DC
4. Sour Bubble Bx3 x Sour Bubble bx 4 x DC

full

full

Dime

I think its more of a OG bubba conversation, OG LA Affie aka Bombay Kush
Gifted to DNA from a friend
I cant say thats a pure Afghan although it looks nice
I know there is a member here on IC that knows ...more

What got me is the caramel sweet flavors like butter scotch I always like the nutty ones
Like the P91 was called the peanut and smelled just like peanut butter
Let me know when you get around to running them I want to compare notes on conformity to indica type
we both got the CV so will see, good stash !

Like someone else said Deep Chunk is the atypical afghani as described by botanists as indica wayback!
View attachment 18780044
To me the one on his right looks Deep Chunkish maybe even closer to black kandahar ? the one on his left looks lebanese to me
as a landrace diverse as it should be, the picture says its a male and female so.... the male is shorter and bushy the female is taller and more columnar ? Any way we all have our preconceptions...of standard
View attachment 18780067
View attachment 18780068

StRa
Apr 18, 2013 #3
thanks man.... he was for sure one of the greatest ethnobotanists........but it's hard to classify!!!!!!ahhahaha

I'd like to quote him:

But if you want a high yielding couch locking easy indica dominant of today there are many choices
But if you took a deep chunk seed and planted it beside those plants it may not look like the deep chunk you grew in your locality or perhaps those plants in the pic would look totally different if you grew them in yours. Phenotype can influenced by climate and environmental pressures

igrowone

Veteran
But if you took a deep chunk seed and planted it beside those plants it may not look like the deep chunk you grew in your locality or perhaps those plants in the pic would look totally different if you grew them in yours. Phenotype can influenced by climate and environmental pressures
lest we forget the many factors
my afghan experience is minimal
remember those free mazar's from years gone by
most smoke reports were mediocre at best
but I tried one just to see
I got a afghan looking plant, and the freshly dried stuff was ok
now add a 3 month slow cure, not the same stuff anymore
by far the most dramatic effect I've had from curing, the quality shot up a LOT