What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Super Dank OG still fetching 3600 all day on this side of the Cali...When I say super dank...your shit is being sold for 55+ an 1/8th by the collective

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
wow, all i gotta say is the best of the best bud around me doesnt go for more than 2200 a lb....and these guys are complaining...

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
......fire will always sell for top dollar.....but it has to be true flame thrower fire, with great bag appeal with a top notch " nose".

shmalphy

Veteran
:laughing:
it's prices plummeting, not shit not selling cuz of quality
smells like some1 is sour cuz they lost a trim job
Actually, the article says that the outdoors can't compete with the smaller indoor growers in private homes, which is driving down the price of less desirable, mass produced outdoor product...

It is my opinion that machine trimming reduces the quality. I have no bias on the issue, but to be honest it is a speculative opinion at best, as I have not actually seen a trimmer in action up close, yet. I have seen videos, and they have never shown me what I really want to see, which is the trichomes.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are a great tool, but I feel there is massive room for improvement in this technology.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
For the first time in my life I've begun to consider the fact that the price in ca has come down so much that it might be worth it to just buy my herb. I doubt that will happen, but it is definitely something to consider. There have always been a multitude of reasons for growing my own herb. Safety(legal and health), price, strain selection, and offsetting the cost of production by being able to sell a bit off.

However for the first time in my life I feel as though I can get a large variety of quality strains from some decent growers. I'm still going to grow my own, but I can see a lot of the factors that encouraged people to get into growing fading away.

Of course right now the flood is on, but it will pass eventually and I imagine prices will reflect that in a month or two. Until then I am telling most everyone I know, that it's worth what people will pay for it. If you can find a buyer at a price point you like, great. If not, then sit on your product or move your price. Not much else to do.

I saw some beautiful Indoor Corleone Kush or Candy Jack(we're not sure what the cut is), that was getting 34 recently, being offered for 25. It got turned down in favor of some nice looking outdoor full season Woody Kush which went for 15. Simple as the fact that the broker could make more on the Woody Kush. Business is business.

On a side note that Woody Kush was interesting. I'd like to see it run indoors.

N

Nondual

Actually, the article says that the outdoors can't compete with the smaller indoor growers in private homes, which is driving down the price of less desirable, mass produced outdoor product...

It is my opinion that machine trimming reduces the quality. I have no bias on the issue, but to be honest it is a speculative opinion at best, as I have not actually seen a trimmer in action up close, yet. I have seen videos, and they have never shown me what I really want to see, which is the trichomes.
Outdoor done right is bomb especially when black boxed and finished early when the sun intensity is still strong. The cost of production for indoor leaves a lot of room for high quality outdoor. I saw some killer indoor JH the other day for 26 and I really liked it but looking at the cost-to-benefit ratio as I like to say I think many would go for bomb outdoor at 20 instead.

Trimming machines kind of such. Nomaad refuses to use them and Trinity Gold only uses the equipment on the B grade buds. Nomaad did some experiments where he dried some sap and smoked it and nasty. When you machine trim not only do the buds get beat up to some extent, worse with some strains, but they get coated in fresh sap which oxidizes.

shmalphy

Veteran
Outdoor done right is bomb especially when black boxed and finished early when the sun intensity is still strong. The cost of production for indoor leaves a lot of room for high quality outdoor. I saw some killer indoor JH the other day for 26 and I really liked it but looking at the cost-to-benefit ratio as I like to say I think many would go for bomb outdoor at 20 instead.

Trimming machines kind of such. Nomaad refuses to use them and Trinity Gold only uses the equipment on the B grade buds. Nomaad did some experiments where he dried some sap and smoked it and nasty. When you machine trim not only do the buds get beat up to some extent, worse with some strains, but they get coated in fresh sap which oxidizes.
I agree with what your saying, it's not that it's outdoors, but that the people doing outdoors biting off more than they can chew, and end up needing to cut corners on quality is what I am talking about. People in BC have been doing the same shit to indoors for years, so it's not indoors vs outdoors, as much as inexperienced growers trying to mass produce and failing to achieve a top quality product.

I had never considered the sap. I have seen some dark nugs come thru that were way cheaper than usual, that might have been it, they look machine trimmed (BD actually). It wasn't anything I had seen before. Also reports of nug that sparks when burned (I think that might have been mites or oil, but I didn't see it). I am on the east coast so we get a lot of dispensary rejects out here :(

Also what is black boxing?

N

Nondual

I suppose he means darkening them everyday so they flower early instead of in the autumn. Interesting concept, never heard of this cause for this technique.
Yeah you artificially shorten the day by pulling tarps over the plants. They also make things called Grobots for single plants. Mainly what you're doing is 1. finishing your plants about a month earlier so you're getting to market when things are bone dry in September and you can get a premium price and also 2. the quality is much better because the plants are finishing when the sun intensity is much stronger than say early October.

A friend knows some growers in the Sierra's and they black box all summer long and get like 50+ lbs a month.

Forever Flowering makes high end greenhouses for forced flowering.

I agree with what your saying, it's not that it's outdoors, but that the people doing outdoors biting off more than they can chew, and end up needing to cut corners on quality is what I am talking about. People in BC have been doing the same shit to indoors for years, so it's not indoors vs outdoors, as much as inexperienced growers trying to mass produce and failing to achieve a top quality product.
Totally agree. It's so easy to grow high grade if you just pay attention. I'd say easily 80+% of the outdoor stuff I see is poor at best. People would get more if they put a little extra effort and $ into their grows. Sooooo many growers...quality always sells and stands out.

G

guest8905

:laughing:
it's prices plummeting, not shit not selling cuz of quality
smells like some1 is sour cuz they lost a trim job

trim machines suck bro :tiphat: ive never seen a piece that was machine trimmed that looked good, it pretty much turns your buds to garbage imo and drives down your value too imo

this comment from you is kinda weak, you just chime in the thread to hate on dudes opinion.....meh.. :moon:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
What is the standard rate for a trimmer? Are there some that get paid by the hour and others that get paid by the OZ trimmed?

I agree that trim machines SUCK ASS and the loss in quality is probably well more than the cost of a human trimmer.

:joint:

I have seen the machine trimmers that just take off the fans and the bigger leaves while its wet and they work great! After that you hang the plant and have people do the close trimming. This saves A LOT OF TIME and doesn't effect the buds at all. As far as the giant trimming units that supposedly trim everything.......yes they suck!

What is the standard rate for a trimmer? Are there some that get paid by the hour and others that get paid by the OZ trimmed?

I agree that trim machines SUCK ASS and the loss in quality is probably well more than the cost of a human trimmer.

:joint:

Most people pay trimmers by the pound. Its from 100 to 350 dollars. It is going down now because the price is going down. Thats what i hear from my outdoor friends here in Norcal anyways.

N

Nondual

Most people pay trimmers by the pound. Its from 100 to 350 dollars. It is going down now because the price is going down. Thats what i hear from my outdoor friends here in Norcal anyways.
Let me know where I can get $350 a pound trimming and I'm there! If you get $200 these days you're doing pretty good.

U

Ultra Current

I pay out $240 per pound for trimming but I'm on the east coast. My girl just dropped and broke my percolator that I just bought on Friday. Damn I loved that thing.

Let me know where I can get $350 a pound trimming and I'm there! If you get $200 these days you're doing pretty good.

ya thats what i was implying the 350 was the high mark and mostly in the past, but one of my outdoor friends was paying that this year and said thats it!!!! the people on the higher end usually have out of staters buying their stuff. But you are right the trimming price is coming down. I remember 4 years ago people were still paying by the hour.......boy does that not work out for the grower!!!!

U

Ultra Current

With the rates that you have out there, slow trimmers are goog to end up making minimum wage. You guys need to figure out how to get your prices back up. You can make it happen somehow.

With the rates that you have out there, slow trimmers are goog to end up making minimum wage. You guys need to figure out how to get your prices back up. You can make it happen somehow.
The only way prices will go up substantially would be for the FEDS to end medical marijuana..........which wouldn't be a good thing in my mind.

N

Nondual

The only way prices will go up substantially would be for the FEDS to end medical marijuana..........which wouldn't be a good thing in my mind.
Well if they are successful in shutting down dispensaries I think there will be a lot of growers left holding the bag because they have no other distribution channels. Still thinking about how that would affect things. Can't remember which county it is in Cali but one is mulling over adopting fed guidelines which is nada.