What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Ive created a grow diary for my Afropips Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick finally.

Join me for a long slow grow journal for only the most patient of you.

Rooibard

Great thread! Makes me wanna take a drive to Lil Mumbay and source the real deal! Cuz I know its still out there just as Rooibard and other legendary African strains. Just gotta dig deep enuff, spend time with locals... I can see myself running loads of self sourced African strains in yrs to come.. Just need big enuff farm for it ;)
Now one thing bothers me on every single source of origin of tropical sativas; if those genes came from india as many sources claim, what were these indigineus ppl cultivated wayyyy before trade routes existed? And not just anywhere; in the deepest jungles which r still almost non accessible! As an example; if one wants to cross DRC east-west, theres no roads to do so. And never was, even on times of Belgian rule... Only option is the barge on the river which takes month and a half-two months! And thats where the pygmis r still living strong and cultivating Congo Black and other varieties. Now dont come and tell me that there was any Indian there to show them how its done... They also use in their traditional medicine Iboga, which is said to be stronger than Ayahuasca(sorry off topic)...
Another funny thing is on DP who gave the name... Not dissing on big names like Ed at all for the work they've done, simply saying there might have been a name for this strain decades before anybody exported it out of SA... Dont think anybody in Durban was asking to buy g of 'Durban' u know... Got old stoner mates here who can confirm they used to call it DP back in the 60's...

Peace

Malarkey

Chris from Nguni Seeds says he some of the strains are from Afropips seeds

Last edited by a moderator:

ripinofff

Agreed... My Oaxaca Highland went 4'-5' taller in the same time frame (first 3 months into veg and counting)... The DP has been very prone to inspect attacks random eagle claw. OH has remained near flawless both on natural insect resilience and fauna development. Both were grown side by side multiples of each. Just goes to show how swag when taken care of vs name brand has superior genetics when growing outdoors. After all, who grows outdoors more than the cartels?

PS Dutch Passion refused to post my review

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran

This Chris definitely looks like a clever guy... get a few old landraces from an deceased and renowned company, reproduce them and start your own seedbank in order to sell them as your own works! lol.

I don't really know if I should laugh or cry instead... :biggrin:

idiit

Veteran
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post

This Chris definitely looks like a clever guy... get a few old landraces from an deceased and renowned company, reproduce them and start your own seedbank in order to sell them as your own works! lol.

I don't really know if I should laugh or cry instead

0 germination rates on nguni Malawi and Durban.

package was totally mangled when it arrived.

Overview of South African Courier Companies
On time
One day early
Late, but on the right day
One day late or more
Never Delivered
based on 467 reviews
a
Recipient (328)
a
Sender (129)
a
Third Party (10)
got my nguni ( afropips ) beans. pkg. had been partially opened but contents undisturbed. I opened the pictured envelopes. the mailing pkg. had been partially opened, the inside envelopes were enclosed and that layer of packaging was undisturbed. the envelopes inside the enclosure were sealed.

check out the track record of sapo:
http://trackmyparcel.co.za/track
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7001409&highlight=Nguni#post7001409

idiit

Veteran
I grew out some soa durbans. pretty contaminated with wld but I found some good nld phenos and grew them out outdoors. I still feel you can get legit dp, Malawi, etc. from soa but you gots to pheno hunt. these are seeds, not clones. there are very few places in the world today where you can get landrace sativas without genetic pollution even in the landrace geographical area. someone had to do years of selection and ilb and if grown outdoors they are all susceptible to genetic random pollen pollution even if the parents were properly selected and ilb bred.

when ace and cbg release stuff you have got good quality control. takes a lot of work and random pollen free areas to properly reproduce these strains.

Cernunnos

0 germination rates on nguni Malawi and Durban.

package was totally mangled when it arrived.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7001409&highlight=Nguni#post7001409

Hi ya idit mate, that's a pity, zero on both counts. That's not good news to hear also, I've got some Nguni Malawi. Now I'm wondering if the seed is old or the seeds have been badly stored (not in a fridge). I have many lines to run now and the season ahead but I was very keen to see this Malawi. I'll let you know if the Malawis pop when I try them soon.

I dropped 10 Nguni Durbans and got 4 ladies. They were all mutants in seedling stage, but each threw a normal shoot which showed good vigour.

Purple semi-foxtailing buds, finished with good anise/berry smells. double serrations on leaves. no resistance to spider mites and aphids. Potency seems OK, taste, texture and effect reminds me of south africans, still too early to say for sure. The dried buds smell like herbal toothpaste.

Can't say that I like these, if I'm being honest. I doubt that I will ever explore the Zamaldelica crosses I made with them.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Grimmstone

Does anyone have Durban poison from afropips, would love to get my hands on some seeds from them but heard they are out of business.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Does anyone have Durban poison from afropips, would love to get my hands on some seeds from them but heard they are out of business.

To Grimm, and anyone else looking for Afropip Durban Poison, or just a variety of DP in general. Im looking for some testers to grow out Afropip DP reproduction seeds. The seeds will be provided to you by Seedbay. All I need is interested volunteers with a history of grow journals or albums of plants theyve grown.

To interest you a bit, here are a couple of the original seedplants.
If interested, pm me or just reply here. Thanks!

picture.php

picture.php

thejact55

I just got Cannabiogen's DP in the mail today. wouldn't mind some afropip reproduction though. They look nice. I skimmed your journal for a second, but did you ever get that anise smell?
the real question is though, you got some of those 160 day thai stick seeds available haha :). ive never used seedbay, but should sooner than later. you just posting them for sale, or using some process to enable those who promise a grow journal to access them through seedbay? ignorant to this whole world of shit.
landraces/heirloom, whatever you call em, are really all I do. my ongoing journal is on my sig.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I just got Cannabiogen's DP in the mail today. wouldn't mind some afropip reproduction though. They look nice. I skimmed your journal for a second, but did you ever get that anise smell?
the real question is though, you got some of those 160 day thai stick seeds available haha :). ive never used seedbay, but should sooner than later. you just posting them for sale, or using some process to enable those who promise a grow journal to access them through seedbay? ignorant to this whole world of shit.
landraces/heirloom, whatever you call em, are really all I do. my ongoing journal is on my sig.

I found one lady out of 7 that had the anise with a touch of grape terp profile. Odds are not on your side with these seeds tbh. These are a mix of seeds from 3 Durban Poison moms. None had the anise smell, imo, but still very nice profiles. I have an offspring of a mom that had the Anise/grape smell I loved so much, that Is flowering with intentions of making seeds from her. Ill explore those seeds to see if I can find more strong anise smelling ladies.

Thats ultimately the direction I want to go with this line is making that terp profile, the dominant one. Its what we all want anyways. The other profiles are nice, but the anise is out of this world.

I didn't get a single male to make Thai seeds with sadly :(. Just 4 moms to play with. Im using those females to produce Durbanx Thai hybrids that Im slowly beginning to explore. Some nice ladies in my album if your curious.

If you want to be a tester, thats a possibility. Ill check out your grow journal soon and update you on that.

I do want to be able to list them for sell on the bay in the future. Help support the Mag/Bay, my garden, and give people a chance to try out a nice Durban P from a defunct breeder. It can't be found anywhere else any longer. Ive been hoarding them since 2012, and its time to spread these beans around.:tiphat:

Never used seedbay too but I stopped short in front of your post. You need to register right?

You dont need to register at Seedbay. They can contact you through PM's here on ICMAG to get your safe addie.

MJINC

Strange that in the country of origin it's incredibly difficult to find Landrace Durban Poison. it's been massively changed since it's heyday.

J-Icky

Too bad I don't have the experience needed for those testers as I'd love to get some good Durban poison. It's one of those grail strains for me. Used to get some in the early 00's that was an amazing up high with unbelievable mental clarity. The taste herbal/earthy, spicy, and only very slightly anise like, but the anise was barely there and could've just been my brain putting it there after reading descriptions of DP in seed catalogs and magazines.
Sadly my current situation doesn't afford me the ability to share pics or journals on a public forum. But honestly my setup is only a 24" x 26" x 60" flowering cabinet. I now can have a separate veg/clone area but I still need to figure out how I'll set that up.
Anyway I'll be keeping my eye out for these tester journals and pics and hope maybe someone finds a DP that matches the stuff I used to love but can no longer find.

Latest posts

Latest posts