What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

sprinkl

Veteran

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DURBAN
Pinetown Durban Satvia. Known as Durban Poisson. A great high. One of the earliest maturing original sativa's. Very suiteable for making hybrid crosses. In Holland we pick the buds in the last week of September. $35

Then in 1986 in the second of their three catalogs, Nevil's Seed Bank offered a Sacred Seeds bred Durban called "South African D.P. 34" and its description was (mis-spellings intact):

SOUTH AFRICAN D.P. 34
A pure sativa with a sweet licorice taste and an up high. Similar in may respects to Thai. Inbred for 5 generations in California. This variety is known for its outstanding crosses with indica's, increasing potency and yield. The D.P. 34xA1 hybrid is an indica sativa hubrid of international fame.

As is often the case with S. African, the occasional hermaphrodite will be found in this strain.
- Height 7 to 12 feet
- Yield 500 gr. to 2 lbs.
- Harvest in California Sept. 1.
- Price $50 for 10

Whoa they dared to ask $50 for 10 hybrid seeds with chance to herm 30 years back already? I might have to review my negative stance towards today's pollenchuckers.

Something tells me Easy Sativa from femaleseeds contains something durban... With the only hint being that it's an early sativa as well... Don't remember any anise flavor. High was smooth, mild and up.

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php

idiit

Veteran
Old post from 20'Thai on O.G forums.

Purple Durban

"In Ozz in the late 70's they imported some 100%Sativa Purple durbanPoison from Africa that made everyone see things that weren't there when they first smoked it. Many people had to be rushed to hospital and shot up with a high dose of pure Valium to calm them down. Once you were use to visual and audible effects of that batch of durban, it would completely annihilate even the most hardened of smokers for over 8hours...and I mean smokers that could bong 7-8grammes of the finest imported Thai Sticks per day without consequence, that were sold 'before and at the same time' this PurpleDPoison came into Ozz. The PurpleDPoison had some seeds in it, and I grew it for 4 years straight. The offspring for ONLY the first generation/year were purple and thereafter reverted back to the standard green. But none of us could make it as potent as the original batch was that came in from Africa. Close - but no cigar, if you know what I mean. The farmer in charge of that grow in Africa was a Cultivar-supreme at the true sense of the word as the dope was not laced with anything I assure you - it was straight from the BlackMans'Hand who harvested it out of an organic field of soil inside some jungle. One smoke, and you knew 'that' immediatly, as it tasted as smooth and as sweet as could be. After some people were hospitalised(for a day) as a result of it, authorities here obtained samples of it and thoroughly tested it to find that it had nothing else but an extordinary amount of Cannabinoidal resins in it - higher than anything else they'd ever tested before. No chemical additives whatsoever. The Media here at the time nicknamed it 'Purple Poison'.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5191789&highlight=purple+durban#post5191789

Dave Coulier

Veteran
To all my Durban Poison lovers, Ive finally got around to starting 10 of 20 Afropips Durban Poison seeds. I figured Ive waited long enough, plus Im sure some of you out there would enjoy seeing a grow log of this line, so in the near future Ill be starting one. Ill post a link when that happens, but for now some pictures of the seed package to whet your appetite.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Donn

While we're talking pharmacology, note that the Steep Hill "strain fingerprint" for Durban Poison has an unusually conspicuous THCV component, and rumor has it, that's a common property of strains from this region. The stuff I get doesn't come with a THCV analysis, so I can only guess, but of the three Durban Poisons I have through the Washington State legal system, two of them have rather unusual effects, kind of crazy but not so high. I don't particularly like it. The third one is great. (None of them smell like anise to me, by the way.) THCV is supposed to be an "antagonist"? which I guess would mean suppressing some cannabinoid effects, and maybe that fits.

browntrout

Veteran
While we're talking pharmacology, note that the Steep Hill "strain fingerprint" for Durban Poison has an unusually conspicuous THCV component, and rumor has it, that's a common property of strains from this region. The stuff I get doesn't come with a THCV analysis, so I can only guess, but of the three Durban Poisons I have through the Washington State legal system, two of them have rather unusual effects, kind of crazy but not so high. I don't particularly like it. The third one is great. (None of them smell like anise to me, by the way.) THCV is supposed to be an "antagonist"? which I guess would mean suppressing some cannabinoid effects, and maybe that fits.

Thanks for the insight, What did your THCV samples smell of. Fresh/funk exotic smell?

Donn

Uh ... sure, just like that! Honestly, I have the same problem with coffee, guys can get starfruit, fig, etc., and to me - I can tell the difference between A and B, but can't make the starfruit connection. They do have a hint of compost. The different one has some of that too, but is more evergreen.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Donn, that is very cool. I'd love to find Durban myself through the WA Legal System someday since Im a WA patient.

THCV is NOT a THC antagonist, as much as Sam want you to believe.
I take everything Sam says with a pound of salt then I research if there is anyway he or his pharmaceutical pals can make money off of what he said..... and in this case, they can.
By demonizing THCV, and making people fear that it will kill their high, they will be able to corner the market for THCV strains (just like we had seen with CBD strains being undesirable until it was found they can save lives --- well THCV strains saved my life)

4.7%thcv and 22%thc. This pheno of JTR is the scariest stuff I've smoked. It is also some of the most medicinal (for my symptoms). The high comes on fast/immediate and lasts for hours. According to Sam I should only be getting a mild high since the thcv is "antagonizing" the thc. But that's no the case. Catalyzing would be a more accurate description of what THCV does to other cannabinoids.

Heusinomics

I had access to a Durban cut from the Colorado bro comunity. It was well liked and known to Yeald. But I didn't like how it grew for one.
It had that uber branching trait (sim to my cannalope haze) whare the plant would stay squat and branch heavily like a Xmas tree but w heavy lowers that droop from the weight of the leaf... W high veg light n heavy prune it could b a good thing, but all it did was piss me off.
And for two, it had a flav that I was already in my grow.
Very much lemon, and not a lot else. Very sim to Trainwreks, sweet skunk or my cleaner pheno of fire Chernobyl. So it was let go....

But I still seak the infamous Anise phenos that should b out there..
So I will b watching to see if anyone can Giv a recent example of some killer paranoia posion from Durban.

Genghis Kush

I've gotten the anise pheno from Dutch Passion in the past.

Recently ordered a 20 pack of DPs Durban Poison from Herbies for 80$.
Best price out there.
also got a 10 pack of D. Poison from Seeds of Africa
and Durban Punch from Tropical Seeds.
Searching for that amazing buzz I have only experienced through African herb

Donn

THCV is NOT a THC antagonist

Well, evidently it is, and it isn't. For example, that's as much as I can make of this paper - The diverse CB1 and CB2 receptor pharmacology of three plant cannabinoids: Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol and Δ9-tetrahydrocannabivarin

I don't believe I'm too worried about Sam or anyone cornering any market out of THCV fear - the issue at the moment is that product test analysis rarely if ever reports THCV, so there's nothing to fear, no one knows what they're getting. I'm just guessing about Durban Poison. As far as I know, it's usually a minor component, you might be right about a catalytic effect.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
GC's test for THCV (easily) its just that there's neither a requirement or demand for that test to be run unless asked for.
Same thing with Delta 6/8 THC - its easy to test for but its usually inly the Pharma companies doing the testing

Amyone ask any of the Aussie breeders if they have old-school Durban?
That island is filled with genetic gems from many continents.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Day 1 Afropips DP

Day 1 Afropips DP

I thought Id share the firstborn Afropips DP seedling. None of the seeds had tails showing when I sowed them in soil, so Ive really no clue of just how many are going to come up. Ill just have to be patient and see. Im willing to keep them all under the dome for 2 or 3 weeks in case some are stubborn.

Just so the DP seedling doesn't get lonely, I also planted the rest of my GN Thai Stick seeds. This little one has come up a bit later than the DP. I do hope its a boy. *fingers crossed*

idiit

Veteran
according to afropips and ngakpa ( real seed co.) the real deal dp is very hard to source even in south Africa. afropips dp has the best rep of any Durban line per the posts I've read:

the information about genuine Durban Poison comes from several mates of mine from SA - when I told them the seeds on Afropips' site were from sticks/pencils they were pretty impressed, as for a long while the genuine quality Poison came this way, and is now very tough to find

if people like, I will pick these folks' brains for info about the origins of DP back in the day -when its peak was in SA etc., as all of them without exception came from families where it is usual for folk to have stands of quality ganja on their own land, who were and still are growing out local strains for their own enjoyment

one of these fella's mothers will bin any shit ganja that comes onto her land in the hands of her son's friends - "what is this majut shit, into the bin it goes - here have some proper Roibaard etc."

as said, one of the most conspicuous defining features of genuine DP is the small size of the buds - there are other characteristics, which as I say I will get from a particular fella whose father was something of a DP expert and post up here for those who are interested

cheers,

Ngakpa

btw. yet to find a single bad plant in any of the Afropips I have grown ... inc. the Nigerian x Nirvana Afghan, which I would challenge anyone to smoke on a blind test and notice had any "inferior" genetics in it ... has made for a great cross with Leda Uno - lemontastic

I doubt anyone who has actually taken the time to grow Afropips' strains would poor scorn on them - intense viguour, excellent yields, powerful refined highs - yes, being African sativas the sats and sat doms strecth, and should be cured well, but it is African ganja for goodness sake, what do people expect - and it pays off hunderfold to wait - an art in itself I think

yeh, I would not worry if it is Nirvana PP - the Malawi will take the upper hand anyway, and the hybridity will give big yields and increased potency ... probably only start showing its colours around days 70 - 80

I recommend making crosses with good KC specimens - awesome yields, just keep on coming - 3oz plus on my Leda x Triple Treat and still bulking out, thick central stem is bending under the weight of the immense main cola - exquisite smell on it like already cured afro ganja, and the bud production and aromas just keep on developing - wow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=995316&highlight=afropips+durban#post995316 ^ ngakpa (is not associated in any way with afropips)

Quote:
grew out Afropips DP a few years ago. It was an amazing pure sativa, but I was not really up to it. They stretched forever. I would bend them over, tie them down, etc I just didn't have the room to really do them justice.

It was a pretty small yield. Taste was anise-goodness, and a very racey high.

Quote:
The Afropips plants were an open structure, very thin sativa leaves and the buds were very airy. They finished the first week of Nov. (31N. latt.) Yield was very poor but the bud was excelllent, very strong and an up sativa high

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=108569

oceangrownkush

Veteran
There had to be a miscommunication somewhere you guys. The term is 'agonist' there are partial and full agonists of Cannabinoid receptors. Being an 'agonist' means that it ACTIVATES those receptor sites (receptor activity = effects). Natural Cannabinoids found in herb are all 'partial agonists' - a 'full agonist' would last MUCH longer and deliver powerful main effects and aftereffects..

Donn

There had to be a miscommunication somewhere you guys. The term is 'agonist' there are partial and full agonists of Cannabinoid receptors.

From the paper I linked above
BritishJournalOfPharmacology said:
Although Δ9-THCV seems to be capable of eliciting CB1-receptor-mediated responses in vivo, there is also evidence that it can behave as a CB1 receptor antagonist both in vivo and in vitro.

I think the bottom line at this point is "it probably does something." With effective THCV analysis reporting we might have a clue what.

I should add that combustion radically changes my experience with Durban Poison - where vaporizer and decarb'ed edible were weird and not especially pleasant, I smoke the same stuff and get a good strong sativa.