What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Its a shame you cant post pics of your ladies. I would love to have another tester, but it wont do anyone good if you can't post pics :(.

I hope in the future you'll be able to get your hands on some of these beans. It too is a grail strain for me. One of the very first strains I just HAD to grow. Instead I bought them and sat on them for nearly 5 years while growing other lines out..lol. I finally got there and received nice reward for my patience. Now its time to let others experience what Ive been hogging to myself :biggrin:

Too bad I don't have the experience needed for those testers as I'd love to get some good Durban poison. It's one of those grail strains for me. Used to get some in the early 00's that was an amazing up high with unbelievable mental clarity. The taste herbal/earthy, spicy, and only very slightly anise like, but the anise was barely there and could've just been my brain putting it there after reading descriptions of DP in seed catalogs and magazines.
Sadly my current situation doesn't afford me the ability to share pics or journals on a public forum. But honestly my setup is only a 24" x 26" x 60" flowering cabinet. I now can have a separate veg/clone area but I still need to figure out how I'll set that up.
Anyway I'll be keeping my eye out for these tester journals and pics and hope maybe someone finds a DP that matches the stuff I used to love but can no longer find.

oldbootz

Veteran
Ideally I'd like to see if I can source a few different versions of Durban and maybe make a durban x durban if i can find at least two different populations I like, that way it will open up the traits for selection in the F2 while still keeping them (hopefully) in a durban theme.

Busy testing some really gnarled mutant looking ones from a local source. They look almost identical to simple gardeners ones. Hopefully not hay :)

oldbootz

Veteran
Dave it would super amazing and awesome of you if you could colloidal silver one of your durban moms onto the remaining ones and another clone of the reversed one to make feminised F2s and an S1. Im really interested in what the phenotypes will be that come out of your line.

oldbootz

Veteran
picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Ideally I'd like to see if I can source a few different versions of Durban and maybe make a durban x durban if i can find at least two different populations I like, that way it will open up the traits for selection in the F2 while still keeping them (hopefully) in a durban theme.

Busy testing some really gnarled mutant looking ones from a local source. They look almost identical to simple gardeners ones. Hopefully not hay :)

That sounds like a great idea. I hope you'll follow up on it and that the results are even better than you could ask for. Look at CBG's Durban if you haven't yet. That could be a good place to begin. I dont know who else offers Durban, as Ive stopped looking for other Durban after seeing what the Afropips version offered up.

I got me a Mutant looking Durban in flower ATM myself. Check out my journal soon so you can see what she looks like. Im sure you'll get better than Hay with those Durbans. Lets shoot for the moon!

Dave it would super amazing and awesome of you if you could colloidal silver one of your durban moms onto the remaining ones and another clone of the reversed one to make feminised F2s and an S1. Im really interested in what the phenotypes will be that come out of your line.

I highly doubt you'll see me making Fem's in my garden. I like to have my boys around too much to want to make Fems. :tiphat:

oldbootz

Veteran
Hi Dave

I found the CBG offering yesterday, didn't realize it was around. From what I can see and what subrovka describes the smells to be, this is the one I was looking for! He describes my same experience of the smells and flavors. Going to have to grab some of that.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hi Dave

I found the CBG offering yesterday, didn't realize it was around. From what I can see and what subrovka describes the smells to be, this is the one I was looking for! He describes my same experience of the smells and flavors. Going to have to grab some of that.

Awesome news. I hope its everything you wished for when it arrives!

oldbootz

Veteran
Found some information (no idea if legit or not) on Durban Poison

http://howtogrowmarijuana.com/weed-strains/durban-poison-seeds/

The Journey from Africa
Back in the fabled and beloved late 70s era, an earnest and hopeful young man by the name of Ed Rosenthal was in South Africa, seeking a new strain for further development. The variety that he discovered was one of the earliest finishing plants in the area and he took it home to the US. There, he started cultivating and kept developing the strain through careful selective inbreeding.

Ed passed on some seeds from his work to his friend, Mel Frank for further work. Their focus was to reduce flowering time whilst simultaneously, increasing the yield. Mel worked with several generations of the plants, choosing to further breed the quickest and most resinous among them. The process resulted in two distinctive phenotypes, that Mel creatively named A and B. The A strain was his favorite, so he chose to move on with it. And it was around then that the B strain of Durban Poison found its way to Europe.

Ed Rosenthal
In a rather friendly gesture, Mel Frank gifted his not-so-favorite “B” line to his friend Sam the Skunkman. Sam does not need special introductions among the cannabis connoisseurs, as he still holds legendary status among breeders. However, this gift was just a beginning of a long and successful story.

Sam took the seeds with him back to Amsterdam, where the seed business was starting to grow. It is also well worth noting that among those seeds that gave birth to the Durban Poison, one could find the start of the famous Skunk#1 line. His goal was, again, to reduce the flowering time, so that the plant could have a chance to finish outdoors during the –rather short- Northern European summer. His successful attempts made Durban Poison one of the most popular plants in its early days.

Mel Frank in the “Grow Show” – on the right
Sam explains the whole process and story in a forum post, in the ICMag where he worked as a moderator, back in 2007:

“South African Durban Poison was first introduced by me. I got maybe 100 seeds from South Africa (gifted from Mel Frank) and grew them in California in the late 70’s. Most were hermaphrodite, small calyxes, as well as not so great buds. But I saw the potential for an early Sativa so I worked with it for a few years to clean it up. I finally eliminated most of all the bad traits, and introduced it in the early 80’s. When I took it to Amsterdam it was an immediate hit, one of the few Sativa strains that can be grown outdoors in Holland most years if the weather is OK at harvest time. Every seed merchant in Holland bought some and made copies as well as Hybrids, All of the Durban Poison genetics being passed around were originally from my work until Afro-Seeds popped up a few years ago”.

His Durban Poison was a pure Sativa that was created from seed lines and was maintained with clones, Male and Female. Their initial taste and smell was very similar to today’s varieties and the effects made it –according to Sam himself- an ideal daytime smoke.

Sam had also some comments to make regarding the future hybridization of the breed.

“I have heard that Afro-Seeds made or collected their Durban Poison seeds from fresh seeds every year, they did not use clones to make them, and that is fraught with problems. You can maybe select a good female seed parent by looking at and smoking the results, but what about the Male pollen parent? How do you know a new male from seed is good enough to use as a pollen parent? Or the best male to use as a parent? The only way I know is to make a clone of the male’s to be tested and make crosses with the best selected females (clones), then grow out the different batches and see what males & females give the best results. If you are not doing this, then the male you use could be great or a lousy male with no ability to help produce plants that are great. One thing is for sure the seeds you got years ago will not be the same as what you get today, as both the females and males used to make seeds are not the same each year.
The Flying Dutchman, or Seedsman in the UK might have my SADP, but I am not sure as they may make their own to sell also. Because the variety is true breeding it is easy to make copies.”

oldbootz

Veteran
CBG say their Durban is F4. I wonder how big their selections were. I know Sam used to do quite big numbers. This CBG offering sounds similar to what Ed and Sam did, but in more modern times. Sam says his Durban line was a fast finishing and unhybridized narrow leaf drug type. If you compare what "fast finishing" meant in the 70s to what it means now, I think these plants were in the 10-14 weeks area, which is exactly what the CBG offering says. The Dutch Passion and Afropips versions are not NLD pure as the descriptions of the old plants were. But I have a feeling that the famed Durban Poison that everyone liked so much in Europe and the States WAS this hybrid version. Lets face it guys, hybrid vigor can make some good plants! and Skunk is pretty damn good too (if that was the plant used to beef them up). The Durban influence on the right selections with a skunk plant could have made this award winning hybrid plant better than what Sam describes the original sativa plants to be like. Especially for the western and European markets who were going through a skunk craze at the time.

J-Icky

So will you post updates on the testers here or at least links to the testers so those of us interested can follow along?

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
anyone 2018?
i'm searching that fast flowering durban. which breeder offers best genetics?

G

anyone 2018?
Blue hemp had a great durban cross, early with great structure and yields. Nice smoke above all else too:biggrin:

browntrout

Veteran
anyone 2018?

Long ago it was Dutch Passion, they seem to be stepping up their game a lot. I think the phenos now range quite a bit, check out the flowering times on seed-finder. The latest ones being early october and earliest ones like mine middle september.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
anyone 2018?

Wutwut, Ive got some Afropips F2 Reproductions that will soon be listed on RealGorillaclothing soon. Its fairly early(75-90Days), but I doubt its pure. Looks like it has some Kush influence in some of the F2's. If your curious, check out my DP album for what it looks like.

Samuel Caldwell

They sell the Durban by Cannabiogen, should be noted imo.

Does anyone know how's the Durban by Sensi?

Cheers

Yep, the cbg durban is on my short list. I'm also keeping a close eye on Dave Coulier's upcoming release.

I think I'm going to need a larger flower room. :biggrin:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
10-14 weeks that is not true, at the time in the late 70's and early 80's Durban Poison was the earliest maturing drug variety I had ever seen, it flowered early and finished well before many varieties even started to flower. And it was a real drug variety not an Auto that had genes that were not really drug Cannabis, I am not trashing all the modern Autos if they are only THC and frosty as hell but back then they were not. As far as I know Ed did not grow large numbers and certainly not for breeding and selection of the best of the population, he is a publisher not a grower although he may think he is both.
I am happy he gave Mel Durban Poison, and Mel did share them with me although they were a total intersex population, he did not know that as he had not grown the batch of seeds he shared with me. He got them from a friend that had grown Mel's Durban Poison made seeds and returned seeds to Mel that when Mel did finally grow them after me, he found them intersexed as shit, just like I had.
I was able to almost eliminate intersex plants from the population just took me 4-5 years of selection and breeding, but I am pretty good at that, and I do use large populations if I can. Like thousands of plants open pollinated and only allowed the 100 or less earliest males to pollinate all the rest 10,000 were destroyed pre pollen drop, I saved the seeds from the earliest females that were the best and made it about a week earlier maturing each year of selection and breeding, the field was outdoors in Holland grown with tractors and had an easy 20,000 plants each year. Altho legal to grow Cannabis for seeds outdoors back then the third year the heat came and plowed the crop under just before we could collect the seeds from the red labeled earliest females, my partners in the work sued the police and won but what they got was way way less then the work we had done for 3 years, sad but true....
It could be done again, but most folks are focused on money in their hand today, and this was a long project that would have taken a few more years at least. The seeded later maturing plants could be sold illegally to pay for the work, but that was never my focus.
I never added DP to Skunk#1 to make the SK#1 better, I did it to make an earlier hybrid DP X SK1, my Skunk #1 did not have any DP in it at all.
-SamS

CBG say their Durban is F4. I wonder how big their selections were. I know Sam used to do quite big numbers. This CBG offering sounds similar to what Ed and Sam did, but in more modern times. Sam says his Durban line was a fast finishing and unhybridized narrow leaf drug type. If you compare what "fast finishing" meant in the 70s to what it means now, I think these plants were in the 10-14 weeks area, which is exactly what the CBG offering says. The Dutch Passion and Afropips versions are not NLD pure as the descriptions of the old plants were. But I have a feeling that the famed Durban Poison that everyone liked so much in Europe and the States WAS this hybrid version. Lets face it guys, hybrid vigor can make some good plants! and Skunk is pretty damn good too (if that was the plant used to beef them up). The Durban influence on the right selections with a skunk plant could have made this award winning hybrid plant better than what Sam describes the original sativa plants to be like. Especially for the western and European markets who were going through a skunk craze at the time.

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I'm wondering if the DP back then was tested for THCV.I always noticed that the DP which was avaible in the early 90s did not give the munchies like the other varieties which were available in the shop.Later on with PP or DP xSk#1 that effect wasn't there.