What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's your favorite vaporizer?

i have tried the volcano when i had no experience with vapes. loved it but the baloon felt strange... so i bought the Plenty from the same brand. i love it! it was the right vaporizer to transition from joints/pipes to vapes. to this day i think it is the strongest vaporizer i ever tried. downside is it needs quite a lot of material to work as it should. definetely not a saver! :)

i tried many portables, loved the solo, great design and taste (i bet the air has same standards if not better), but i didn't like so much its resistance. i hear they improved it though... actually thinking about getting a solo or an air

another great portable is the davinci ascent. great taste and great temp control. overall maybe the best portable i have tried (still haven't tried the mighty and the crafty). easy to clean with the 2 pieces glass airpath. works nice also with the concentrate cartridge...

tried the pax, and the pax 2 and i'm not impressed... de. not worth the money...
i have tried the Prima, costy but a great vape! one of the most powerfull portable IMO. it has a little resistance but it doesn't bother me so much... it has resistance but the air flow is right there... my friend called it "the small chillum" :)

a year ago after a lot of thinking i got The Alfa by goboof. i was looking for something stealthy, small and not to costy. it's made in Ireland with EU standards. i really love it! it has one of the best taste ever, in fact i think it tastes better than the plenty and better than most convection vapes... if you have good weed but you get 20+ hits with a full chamber, which is really small, i think i can fill it with max .2/.15... you should fill the oven full, pack it but not too tight. most times i use the mid setting (180/190 °C) for the whole session. you need to remember to empty the oven right after every session, it helps keep it clean longer. most portables need a more frequent cleaning.., this one is very easy to clean, i do that approx. every 2 days with a pipe cleaner, a q-tip and some alcool. ;)

S&B include liquid/concentrate pads with all their vaporizers, inc.
the portables...
View Image
but pens, loaded with concentrate cartridges,
are hard to beat for their combination of
stealth, # of hits per charge, ease of use, etc.
i have a plenty and a liquid pad (which i use every time even with flowers), how exaclty you use it with oils? i only succeded sandwitching some oil beetween some bud... :dunno:

volcano for bag style
vapor bros. for whip style

personally i like the vapor bros because more precise control over heating element and you can make very quick on the fly temp adjustments in very miniscule amounts

i know what people mean when saying vapes seems lighter...they dont give the same body buzz unless turned up to the point of black charring herb, but some of us prefer lighter and floaty'er head highs compared to heavy and debilitating stones...sometimes.

It takes some experimenting but once you find the sweet spot with vapes they are hard to beat for long clean highs

BudToaster

Veteran
Bud Toaster

Bud Toaster

i been using an all glass air path vaporizer since 2001. in 2009 it evolved to include computer temperature control using a PIC12F683 and a MAX6675 to read a k-type thermocouple and 35 pages of machine code to implement a PID temperature control algorithm (integer math since the damn PIC doesn't even have add with carry)

custom pcb

and simple nichrome coil heater

battery powered using two A123Systems 26650s (same as in the original Tesla):

• convection and radiant heat
  • digital temperature display (BBQ thermometer)
  • power on to first toke in 90 seconds (390F)
  • only glass and herb in the vapor path
  • herb vial is 1/2" diameter by 1 3/8" long - holds .2g
  • 90 minutes of run time on a battery charge
  • 45 minutes to recharge a dead battery pack
  • auto shutoff at 7.5 minutes, extend for 3 minutes at a time
  • set any temp from ambient to 499F, uses last saved setting
  • cube accepts any DC voltage from 5v to 20v
  • 2" wood cube stays cool to the touch
  • leather case holds cube, power pack & 36" cable, glassware, herb can, tweezers, toothpicks

not a product yet, since it is illegal to make, market or sell a cannabis vaporizer in USA. here's hoping.

but definitely the Bud Toaster is my favorite vaporizer - i have three units scattered around my crib and office.

oh, yeah ... open source design and code. really.

Last edited:
i been using an all glass air path vaporizer since 2001. in 2009 it evolved to include computer temperature control using a PIC12F683 and a MAX6675 to read a k-type thermocouple and 35 pages of machine code to implement a PID temperature control algorithm (integer math since the damn PIC doesn't even have add with carry)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1365067View Image

custom pcb

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=951713View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=951714View Image

and simple nichrome coil heater

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1585277View Image

battery powered using two A123Systems 26650s (same as in the Tesla):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1553073View Image

• convection and radiant heat
  • digital temperature display (BBQ thermometer)
  • power on to first toke in 90 seconds (390F)
  • only glass and herb in the vapor path
  • herb vial is 1/2" diameter by 1 3/8" long - holds .2g
  • 90 minutes of run time on a battery charge
  • 45 minutes to recharge a dead battery pack
  • auto shutoff at 7.5 minutes, extend for 3 minutes at a time
  • set any temp from ambient to 499F, uses last saved setting
  • cube accepts any DC voltage from 5v to 20v
  • 2" wood cube stays cool to the touch
  • leather case holds cube, power pack & 36" cable, glassware, herb can, tweezers, toothpicks

not a product yet, since it is illegal to make, market or sell a cannabis vaporizer in USA. here's hoping.

but definitely the Bud Toaster is my favorite vaporizer - i have three units scattered around my crib and office.

oh, yeah ... open source design and code. really.
this is fantastic! great project ad info, you are my hero :huggg:

BudToaster

Veteran
something i have been wanting to try for over 7 years since i first did a computer temperature controlled vaporizer, is to replace the 16awg nichrome wire heater with a nichrome ribbon heater. so, today, i finally got a test rig setup to try the new heater:

close up of the new heater:

and here it is doing its thing:

and the result of a test run:

this will be a much easier heater coil to fabricate and subjectively, it works better: much more contact between the heater coil and the borosilicate oven tube, compared to the wire coil. this is HUGE!

still my favorite vaporizer!

doob

I have an arizer air, hate the taste after first pull, then tastes of nothing. Its annoying to use to, I need 2 full goes on it, as that equals the right amount of stoned I am use to, so its a right faff as it turns off after 10 minutes. And the battery lasts about 4-5 goes, not even one evening without being on bloody charge again!!!!!! grrrr, what a waste of money.

No point giving up combustion and vaping if I cant do it mobile, hence why I got a portable to start with.

PDX Dopesmoker

something i have been wanting to try for over 7 years since i first did a computer temperature controlled vaporizer, is to replace the 16awg nichrome wire heater with a nichrome ribbon heater. so, today, i finally got a test rig setup to try the new heater:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1594816&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

close up of the new heater:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1594817&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

and here it is doing its thing:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1594819&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

and the result of a test run:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=27390&pictureid=1594820&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

this will be a much easier heater coil to fabricate and subjectively, it works better: much more contact between the heater coil and the borosilicate oven tube, compared to the wire coil. this is HUGE!

still my favorite vaporizer!

Thats a badass setup right there, where do I look up DIY vape plans?

BudToaster

Veteran
Thats a badass setup right there, where do I look up DIY vape plans?

well, i have a design thread that relates the Bud Toaster saga since June 2009 - that's when this design went computer temperature control. i didn't want to "feather" the button to control temperature ... that's what computers are for.

it's about page 35 where the current model was first tested.

there's enough info there for a DIY. open source design.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
storz abd bickel mighty

your volcano will gather dust. beats the volcano for taste, convenience and economy (uses a lot less weed)
gives meaty hits and has an oil pad

well, i have a design thread that relates the Bud Toaster saga since June 2009 - that's when this design went computer temperature control. i didn't want to "feather" the button to control temperature ... that's what computers are for.

it's about page 35 where the current model was first tested.

there's enough info there for a DIY. open source design.
Great!

I am not sure I could build somthing like that even if I had the materials and tools. Looks like some rocket launcher. :biggrin:

My favourite vaporizer would ideally vaporize the whole "bowl" in one draw. A total hit. Or several hits with the same ratios of terpenes/cannabinoids, which is not possible I think.

When I see how many bags a Volcano fills in what amount of time it looks like a one hit convection vaporizer is not possible, too. But the Sublimator maybe does this, I have not seen one from near.
I think its possible to vaporize faster in a low pressure situation.

An idea that is in my mind since a while:
Would it be possible to vaporize a total hit faster by pressing and "grinding" the material between two exactly heated surfaces. It would help to expose more of the material faster to more surface.

Or "smearing" it against the walls of your glass vial somehow while inhaling. Just to make the idea clear, I hope.

BudToaster

Veteran
My favourite vaporizer would ideally vaporize the whole "bowl" in one draw. A total hit. Or several hits with the same ratios of terpenes/cannabinoids, which is not possible I think.
An idea that is in my mind since a while:
Would it be possible to vaporize a total hit faster by pressing and "grinding" the material between two exactly heated surfaces. It would help to expose more of the material faster to more surface.

Or "smearing" it against the walls of your glass vial somehow while inhaling. Just to make the idea clear, I hope.

as i understand it, the terpenes are lower temp, so they are gone before the THC/CBD are vaporized.

i think it would be hard to press resin and vaporize it in the same configuration - the pressing is done around 250F, but vaping is 400+ for concentrate.

i really, really just like the herb ... the trichomes are standing up in rows across the plant carrier - expose to radiant heat to melt the trichome waxy shell and apply hot air to vaporize the exposed thc.

if it took just one hit, i would exhale a lot of unabsorbed vapor ... i go for about 6 to 8 hits - i think it's about .1g load size.

i get little wisps of vapor about 30 seconds before ready to hit - great to snort - i could swear it is its own high.

T

Theoldweldflash

Myster, makes a way better pen then the snoop v 2.0 g pen. Hands down no two ways around it. Perfect temp for those terpy low temps Blasts!

Erliqin

PLENTY

It makes me vomit with so much THC to the vein it provides.. seriously .. overkill vaporizer .. strong german device no shit.

And just got better, I just bought their just anounced smaller chamber for smaller dosis.. it was about time its such overkiller powerful. Kushes taste pretty good

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Waiting for a Volcano Digital..

Waiting for a Volcano Digital..

I have a Brothers Whip - works great and Magic Flight Box - works just fine.

I should get my Volcano Digital delivered on Monday and I will give it a good test.

Edit: It will be delivered tomorrow

Last edited:

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Volcano! And btw those puff co. pens are combustion pens, not actual vaporizers. Same for many like them, there are specific ones that vape only. I don't know about vapes being for chicks, they come in pretty handy when your at a hotel, around people who don't/shouldn't be smoking, and the pens are great on a ski slope or at a concert.