What's new

What's wrong with skunk?

vanilla dutch

yea my original haze x skunk seeds were all skunk dominant.so i was just saying dosnt matter what skunk cross u buy theres a defiante all skunk pheno in there as well as haze dominant.50/ 50 crosses rock.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I just had a bunch of Cultivator's Choice seeds sent over to the UK from cold storage in the EU.

Ancestral Skunk (raw Skunk #1 imported from California in '85 & open pollinated on large scale).

Keep an eye out for them they just arrived

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
I just had a bunch of Cultivator's Choice seeds sent over to the UK from cold storage in the EU.

Ancestral Skunk (raw Skunk #1 imported from California in '85 & open pollinated on large scale).

Keep an eye out for them they just arrived

Where should we keep an eye on? Seedbay or some place else? Please do tell us.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
seedbay/seedboutique/rgs.... I never know anymore it seems to change.

You should ask Gypsy or PANIKZ.

At first our seeds were only listed on Seedboutique... then they all went to RGS... then migrated to Seedbay.

Last edited:

Ready4

Veteran
RKS pre-dated all the Dutch genetics & really has next to nothing to do with Skunk#1.
RKS was not similar to Skunk #1 at all in structure or buzz. People that think they will find it in old Dutch genetics are fooling themselves 100%.

The old story that the RKS smell was bred out of "Skunk" is 100% bullshit. Who "bred" it out & why did it not resemble RKS after ?

You have zero idea about what you are talking about, your are truely clueless. -SamS

"SamS"/Dave - I find your arrogance very amusing. Out of respect for this site & the great people here, I will take the high road & politely refute your 100% incorrect replies.

First time I grabbed what is now referred to as RKS was in the FALL of 1981 - grower brought clones back from Northern California, it had 0.0% to do with your group or area. ( Redding area) Grower had vacuum sealed bags & wanted top $$$. Guaranteed it was needed - he was not joking. I was very impressed for many years. Sold it, grew it - handled lots of it.
Same clones went to different parts of the US = some seeds from indoor stress helped it spread. I also grew Pot of Gold for many years & Skunk #1.

RKS had absolute nothing in common with Skunk #1 - plant structure, bud structure, smell, buzz were not similar at all.
RKS was broadleaf afghan/paki , could get large - very dense tops could develop grey mold.
Friend grew it for 20 years after I got rid of it - picked up couple units every year. Like many other strains, tolerance got reached when you had plenty.
So "Sam"/Dave - RKS had zero to do with you. Nobody will EVER find it in old Skunk #1 genetics & your group was not part of it.

anyone seeking RKS needs to focus on burnt rubber day-ender couch lock type genetics. Landrces best bet :tiphat:

El Timbo

You have zero idea about what you are talking about, your are truely clueless. -SamS

Sam - you edited this post with your comment 9 days after the original post. Over and above any considerations of whether or not this constitutes an abuse of power it can be very confusing for people trying to follow a thread.

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
Rks = afghan it's so obvious because of when it showed up early 80s mexican Colombia then add afghan I have cantaloupe skunk it eas bred away from afghan it doesn't smell like skunk at all .

El Timbo

"SamS"/Dave - I find your arrogance very amusing. Out of respect for this site & the great people here, I will take the high road & politely refute your 100% incorrect replies.

First time I grabbed what is now referred to as RKS was in the FALL of 1981 - grower brought clones back from Northern California, it had 0.0% to do with your group or area. ( Redding area) Grower had vacuum sealed bags & wanted top $$$. Guaranteed it was needed - he was not joking. I was very impressed for many years. Sold it, grew it - handled lots of it.
Same clones went to different parts of the US = some seeds from indoor stress helped it spread. I also grew Pot of Gold for many years & Skunk #1.

RKS had absolute nothing in common with Skunk #1 - plant structure, bud structure, smell, buzz were not similar at all.
RKS was broadleaf afghan/paki , could get large - very dense tops could develop grey mold.
Friend grew it for 20 years after I got rid of it - picked up couple units every year. Like many other strains, tolerance got reached when you had plenty.
So "Sam"/Dave - RKS had zero to do with you. Nobody will EVER find it in old Skunk #1 genetics & your group was not part of it.

anyone seeking RKS needs to focus on burnt rubber day-ender couch lock type genetics. Landrces best bet :tiphat:

Could it be that there were 2 (or more) strains floating about that had a skunk smell?

Check out "Mr. Nice - Shit". I bought a pack off Gypsy about 17 years ago & that stuff is "The Shit". Plus You got around 18 seeds per pack back then on Mr. Nice genetics. I think I paid $30 for the seeds. I grew them out + bred more. I still want to grow that strain again. Outside - the animals never touched them because of the Skunk smell. Inside - the neighbors always complained of the Skunks being around. I could smell Skunk when I pulled into my driveway. There was no killing the smell - it goes through walls. Even one little plant would stink up a room. After harvest & breaking up the roots to be composted - they would even smell...

These came from Sam's stock I think - and they are listed as Afghan dominant Skunk#1 x Skunk#1

Ready4

Veteran
Could it be that there were 2 (or more) strains floating about that had a skunk smell?

quote]

It was much more than just the "skunk smell". People's descriptions of RKS effects & sheer potency have been very consistent.

SE Michigan was were it was bought to on this end.

The grower told me how huge the buds were & the buds were often pieces of huge buds. I was skeptical so he bought me a main top = 43 gram bud . It was worth it to amaze friends - nobody I knew had ever seen anything like that. Narcotic indica , some people thought it was laced when they smoked it.

Buds were very dense. Everyone who ever grew it outdoors knew how it could get grey mold.
Nobody called it "skunk" until later. Nobody who had it or smoked, would ever think "Skunk #1" was even close = completely different genetics.

troutman

Seed Whore
I don't know what's so hard to understand with Skunk history and why people are confused.

Rob Clarke explained that Skunk #1 was selected from pre-existing Skunk plants of which some probably had
RKS phenotypes. Then Sam bred away from the RKS to focus on Skunk #1 phenotypes. So it's obvious to me
that they are not the same line.

Nor was 10,000 plants used to find Skunk #1. :biggrin:
A brief summary of the breeding of “Skunk No. 1” will illustrate what is involved in developing a relatively true-breeding seed cultivar. Several plants were grown from a local California “skunk” variety, which was likely a 3/4 NLD and 1=4 BLD hybrid (e.g., Colombian/Afghan X Mexican) and then all the females were crossed with a single select male. A female identified as skunk plant number one was selected as the highest yielding and most potent, and became the founder of all subsequent generations. For the following nine growing seasons, at least one branch of each of the (up to 100) female plants was fertilized by pollen from a male selected from the offspring of the previous year’s best female plant. Seeds from the select females were sown the following spring. After only two or three generations, “Skunk No. 1” was relatively homogeneous and true-breeding compared to other hybrid lines that continued to segregate in the F3 and F4 generations, and “Skunk No. 1” was then deemed ready for large-scale selection of parent plants with specific combining ability (SCA) for subsequent breeding.
The above quote was taken from an article online named Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects by Robert C. Clarke and Mark D. Merlin.

J-Icky

I don't know what's so hard to understand with Skunk history and why people are confused.

Rob Clarke explained that Skunk #1 was selected from pre-existing Skunk plants of which some probably had
RKS phenotypes. Then Sam bred away from the RKS to focus on Skunk #1 phenotypes. So it's obvious to me
that they are not the same line.

Nor was 10,000 plants used to find Skunk #1. :biggrin: The above quote was taken from an article online named Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects by Robert C. Clarke and Mark D. Merlin.

I think that’s why me of the biggest issues surrounding Skunk and RKS. People forget that loud weed wasn’t always plentiful. Cannabis naturally has a skunky smell and once people started hybridization and sensi growing it went from a weak scent from imports to a powerful smell.
So once that happened many hybrids all over the country were labeled “skunk weed”. It was only over decades of working those same lines and becoming more accustomed to that loud skunky smell were people able to pick out the subtle notes.

I said it before and I’ll still say it again, take cookies or wedding cake or any fruity dessert strain we have today and present it to a non smoker and they will all say the same thing. It’s reaks like a skunk. And when I say a non smoker I don’t mean your friend or family that is around you or your plants all the time, I mean people who have very limited or no experience with cannabis.

MD84

Didn't Cheese come from Skunk#1? Cheese is about as smelly as anything else out there. But always has that boring dull couchlock high to it.

vanilla dutch

sam more than likely extensively breed and grew skunk and all its variations because its his strain. ive smoked blueberry, dj short invented that. everyone knows that.so whats the big deal with beefing with sam the skunkman?

Last edited:

Ready4

Veteran
I think that’s why me of the biggest issues surrounding Skunk and RKS. People forget that loud weed wasn’t always plentiful. Cannabis naturally has a skunky smell and once people started hybridization and sensi growing it went from a weak scent from imports to a powerful smell.
So once that happened many hybrids all over the country were labeled “skunk weed”. It was only over decades of working those same lines and becoming more accustomed to that loud skunky smell were people able to pick out the subtle notes.

I said it before and I’ll still say it again, take cookies or wedding cake or any fruity dessert strain we have today and present it to a non smoker and they will all say the same thing. It’s reaks like a skunk. And when I say a non smoker I don’t mean your friend or family that is around you or your plants all the time, I mean people who have very limited or no experience with cannabis.

Somewhat true. But as someone who has grown for over 30 years & had both RKS & "Skunk #1" - RKS had a more acrid more powerful smell than "Skunk #1" or any other plant I have seen since. "Skunk #1" certainly was a security risk to grow or transport also but it was a sweeter type smell.

RKS - thick very dense buds that reeked so badly. Afghan type stench. RKS was far more potent.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Along the lines of some of this conversation I can report that three years ago I was running a room full of GG number 4 ... the original cut ..
sometime in mid flower I was outside ...neighbors of the civilized variety were walking by and they were commenting to each other how it’s stinks like skunk around here
:tongue: