What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's wrong with skunk?

G13Fan

lol Mexican bud has had skunk/indica mixed in for a least 20-25 years = very old news.
Growers in produce nations are not purists = quicker finish with larger yield = sound familiar ?lol
RKS is an antique memory that is given way too much credit. I grew RKS before the internet was part of our lives. It was from the California skunk breeding. I dumped it after a huge summer's efforts turned to grey mold outdoors. Grey mold huge problem with it. Couchlock & not that great of a buzz imo. Very potent compared to the crappy bud of its day.

<"RKS is an antique memory that is given way too much credit."

This is a statement from someone who never got ahold of the real deal. The RKS I had was some if not THE best smoke I ever had ( world traveler ) the smell was UNBELIEVABLE strong punched you in the face when the bag opened after being smelled from a distance and the weed was extremely powerful and very long lasting. My friends and I had a ton of fun burning that bud. I could not believe how amazing it truly was.

vanilla dutch

I don't have any complaints about skunk the strain. It's very literal what it means.now sweet skunk from ? Sweet skunk s1 and chimera ss x. Are also very good examples of hard to source seeds/buds

Ready4

Veteran

This is a statement from someone who never got ahold of the real deal. The RKS I had was some if not THE best smoke I ever had ( world traveler ) the smell was UNBELIEVABLE strong punched you in the face when the bag opened after being smelled from a distance and the weed was extremely powerful and very long lasting. My friends and I had a ton of fun burning that bud. I could not believe how amazing it truly was.

you are 100% incorrect in your first sentence.
I first saw the "real deal" RKS in the late fall of 1981. Friend's buddy had brought it back from California in 1980. At that time, most of the US had mostly crap mediocre Mex brick. Most people had never seen or smoked Indica ( including me) the effects were as you described - I bought all I could get & sold it with no problem. I was very impressed as you were.
Grower was not passing out clones - but breaking up as much as I did I found seeds. I grew it & it was always security risk. Then I took it outdoors. Often a grey mold partial loss.
Then I made a huge effort 1 year. Was looking phenomenal. Then, cold rain = 100% grey mold loss.

I threw it away in a rage.

It was very potent in raw power. But you & many others do have "antique memories that are given way too much credit" with RKS - we had mostly crap to compare it to.

People just need to realize that if it was " so special", then why did nobody save it ?

Only scam artists say they have it & only fools buy it.
Reality is that if we could bring many strains out right now, back to that time, they would be legends today. :tiphat:

Last edited:

MezOner

There's supposedly some oldtimer1 real rks beans being hunted through and I aim to get my hands on some. Reports are rolling in of super onion brick wall peircing skunk gotta know where to look

El Timbo

I don't have any complaints about skunk the strain. It's very literal what it means.now sweet skunk from ? Sweet skunk s1 and chimera ss x. Are also very good examples of hard to source seeds/buds

That sweet skunk has no relation with the strain skunk being discussed here - it really should have been named differently.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Personally: as stated, and at least here in EU, old hardcore stoners like me try to stay away of dutch "skunkized" hybrids for the reasons Koondense exposed: bland, boring high, ultrafast tolerance buildup. Shitty, runty, delicate hyper-inbred pest-leaning plants that need almost life-support to grow.

In the rare ocassions I had nothing else to smoke, I could tell if what I was smoking had it or not due to that bland high, and because second doobie will get me high like 1/3d of the first. And third will only make me sleep, or leave me sleepy/depressed with a headache straight away.

Pure sh*t.

I'm sure RKS was a blast, but nowadays if it were for all the UltraMegaOG, CookieSkittleKush or whatever marketing babble weed, I would have quitted smoking cannabis long ago.

The problem in my eyes is the "bastardization" (and lack of creativity) that commercial interests bring... would like to see a genetic analysis of any of those "super" DonutCookiesSkittlezShittyShakeOGKush commercial strains, something that I'm sure ain't happening for a reason :biggrin:

For those speaking of Mexico... man Colombia and Mexico (and rest of S. America) gave us probably 60% of the best landrace strains ever, period, don't judge it by what average bricks reached or reaches the US streets.

I agree, from a commercial standpoint sounds logical to cross with yield-increasing strains. But let's not forget that the quality is in the high, I cannot see the point (for a consumer!) if you destroy it. And man there are plenty of other pure strains to breed to rise yields, hasn't to be the old dutch hybrid oooover and ooover... but of course it's not love for cannabis or passion for breeding the utter motivation of 95% of the market, let alone diversity preservation.

To finish, I'm sure there are reputable and honest breeders that worked with skunk... but I'm afraid in seed selling there are tons of not so honest people, and regular cannabis consumers nowadays don't know shit (sorry) about good cannabis, as long as it has a cool name, looks/smells in a certain way and is very trimmed (trichome shaved, stupid!), is all good for them as long as get them stony.

A thing that get on my nerves, is also the bastardization of certain terms... Amnesia Haze... haze?? because it has a sliiiiight incense? Come on... I dare anyone praising it to smoke anything with *real* Haze on it or a pure haze... they'll probably tell you who the f*ck cut with LSD :laughing:

Sad but True... most "consumers" nowadays are missing 80% of the true cannabis spectrum.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
This being said, I wouldn't mind trying at least once the "real deal", RKS, or anything bred with passion for that matter.

I'm all for the wider variety of options for everyone, that's why I cannot stand current homOGeinization or Kushification.

radioman

Check out "Mr. Nice - Shit". I bought a pack off Gypsy about 17 years ago & that stuff is "The Shit". Plus You got around 18 seeds per pack back then on Mr. Nice genetics. I think I paid $30 for the seeds. I grew them out + bred more. I still want to grow that strain again. Outside - the animals never touched them because of the Skunk smell. Inside - the neighbors always complained of the Skunks being around. I could smell Skunk when I pulled into my driveway. There was no killing the smell - it goes through walls. Even one little plant would stink up a room. After harvest & breaking up the roots to be composted - they would even smell...

MindEater

A single joint looked like your house was on fire. You couldn't see through the cloud.

That's the biggest thing people don't grasp about old school weed in general, the resin composition was completely different, hotboxing a car was like someone set off a whole carton of smoke bombs. Today's weed only smells like it (from all the sulfur burning going on)

Ready4

Veteran
RKS pre-dated all the Dutch genetics & really has next to nothing to do with Skunk#1.
RKS was not similar to Skunk #1 at all in structure or buzz. People that think they will find it in old Dutch genetics are fooling themselves 100%.

The old story that the RKS smell was bred out of "Skunk" is 100% bullshit. Who "bred" it out & why did it not resemble RKS after ?

You have zero idea about what you are talking about, your are truely clueless. -SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

vanilla dutch

Actually sweet skunk is the same strain.just a sweeter version.ive had sweet skunk it's how I know it's a sweeter skunk smell.not rks

El Timbo

Actually sweet skunk is the same strain.just a sweeter version.ive had sweet skunk it's how I know it's a sweeter skunk smell.not rks

Have you had the clone only Sweet Skunk as used recently by Chimera in various crosses? Maybe we are talking about different things.

Brother Nature

There's a cut of Skunk #1 floating around our island and it's nothing but fire. Definitely not a bland generic high, very uplifting as well as being mentally relaxing. I'd put it up against the majority of today's strains as just as good. I think the issue comes from the widespread of the genetics, people not selecting the best phenos, crossing it into anything and everything, and just generally poor representations. I've definitely had some skunk and crosses in my life that were highly disappointing, but I've had some great ones too.