What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's wrong with skunk?

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Actually sweet skunk is the same strain.just a sweeter version.ive had sweet skunk it's how I know it's a sweeter skunk smell.not rks

The same one.it was breeder Steve I think sweet skunk. I don't remember. The guy who made it. It's very good.

Breeder Steve didn’t make the Sweet Skunk. He selected it from a bunch of seed.

As has been said before, the Canadian Sweet Skunk #10 clone is mostly likely a haze variant. Exact lineage is still unknown with a lot of misconception regarding its origin. Even the name ‘Sweet Skunk’ was coined to fill a hole in Marc Emery’s catalogue, even though the seeds themselves weren’t ‘skunky’ in terp value.

The Canadian Sweet Skunk shouldn’t be levelled with Dutch skunk or American skunk, it’s a completely different genotype.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i love the stinky funky skunk smell (never had real deal roadkill skunk, as pointed out it's bigfoot status), personally i wish it wasn't bred out... but i understand the need for aromatic discretion.

the skunk hybrids i've had have been good smoke, but never stellar; they can start off with a nice head (albeit quite stupefying which gets in the way) but inevitably leave me feeling dull and lethargic after an hour... which is only good if i want to go to sleep. it's a boring, basic high that i've gotten apathetic to. i mean good weed is good weed, but i'll not reach for it if there's other choices.

with that said, i was gifted some skunk#1 that presumably had been grown for years and held onto like an heirloom... the high was electric and zippy, creative and happy like i like and i would definitely like to smoke that again. the stupefying effect was minimal, with just the right amount of introspection.

the smell reminded me of "acapulco gold" i have had before, and the effect was almost as good. that acapulco was definitely up there with my faves.

vanilla dutch

Well it would make since if it was a Haze variant because burning it smelled like sweet skunk but breaking it up it smelled and felt like haze

vanilla dutch

Here's a picture of original Haze x skunk from Sam the skunkman seeds here on ICMAG. All I had to do was buy the seeds.grow em. Smoke em.

Attachments

• 20200410_203509.jpg
    20200410_203509.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 27

mexweed

Veteran
I hope people aren't talking about island sweet skunk, I would rate it as one of the top 3 most tropical fruit flavored strains I've ever had, sometimes super spindly airy almost individual calyxes bud structure, definitely not skunk in any way shape or form

CaptainDankness

RKS pre-dated all the Dutch genetics & really has next to nothing to do with Skunk#1.
RKS was not similar to Skunk #1 at all in structure or buzz. People that think they will find it in old Dutch genetics are fooling themselves 100%.

The old story that the RKS smell was bred out of "Skunk" is 100% bullshit. Who "bred" it out & why did it not resemble RKS after ?
Yeah, I don't really believe the whole story about Sam breeding out the RKS smell, you would think someone would have found the recessive traits if it was, I mean unless he did an incredible job breeding it out of Skunk #1. I've watched and tried growing various skunks in search of the RKS, never seen it happen yet. Even from seeds of breeders claiming to have RKS it never seems to be true.

It was definitely around after Dutch genetics though, as I believe it was like 2000 that I got legit skunk ass smelling weed, was told it was Skunk, but certainly not Dutch Skunk. The guy we got it from was an old timer, with lots of pictures from growing. Wish I still knew that guy, he did have other good strains that I still have not heard of anywhere else.

I imagine either him or a buddy, just bred their own strains instead of paying top dollar for Dutch genetics that mostly came from America anyways.

rykus

Island sweet skunk is a clone only from 1995 and is a cross of BC grapefruit to NL5xhaze... Marc Emery called it Skunk to sell seeds... very Haze leaning 11-12 week flower time and citrus candy haze smell... not related to and "skunk" at all imo...

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Island sweet skunk is a clone only from 1995 and is a cross of BC grapefruit to NL5xhaze... Marc Emery called it Skunk to sell seeds... very Haze leaning 11-12 week flower time and citrus candy haze smell... not related to and "skunk" at all imo...

I don’t want to make this anything to do with sweet skunk but SPG in it’s lineage is highly unlikely. There isn’t a hint of the same characteristics from the SPG even in the highly variable s1 progeny.
The theory about it being an NL#5 x Haze is also unfounded but probably closer to the truth.

No one knows the lineage of the SS.

G13Fan

Yeah, I don't really believe the whole story about Sam breeding out the RKS smell, you would think someone would have found the recessive traits if it was, I mean unless he did an incredible job breeding it out of Skunk #1. I've watched and tried growing various skunks in search of the RKS, never seen it happen yet. Even from seeds of breeders claiming to have RKS it never seems to be true.

It was definitely around after Dutch genetics though, as I believe it was like 2000 that I got legit skunk ass smelling weed, was told it was Skunk, but certainly not Dutch Skunk. The guy we got it from was an old timer, with lots of pictures from growing. Wish I still knew that guy, he did have other good strains that I still have not heard of anywhere else.

I imagine either him or a buddy, just bred their own strains instead of paying top dollar for Dutch genetics that mostly came from America anyways.

Yes in the early 2000 era this rich kid I knew that got everything he wanted got a batch of bud came thru columbus Ohio. It smelled like rotten cat shit to mixed with dead skunk. It was a Jim Varney Ewwwww moment insane tasty and super thick smoke . 100% A++ lucky I got a few puffs kind of exp I know that. As mentioned one of the best days of my life and I have smoked them all. Everything has its place and exp. The smell is a buzz all on it's own that is the secret of why I think people want it so much but yes super extremely powerful and smell. Nothing has smell anymore after the cure, this weed was perfection and I hope we can find it again.

rykus

I don’t want to make this anything to do with sweet skunk but SPG in it’s lineage is highly unlikely. There isn’t a hint of the same characteristics from the SPG even in the highly variable s1 progeny.
The theory about it being an NL#5 x Haze is also unfounded but probably closer to the truth.

No one knows the lineage of the SS.

I dont think the old BC grapefruit is sweet pink grapefruit... it's a narly smelling citrus plant kinda like a danker tangie smell.. been around BC since the 80's...

The sweet skunk was made in 95... prettysure breeder Steve only had a few males at the time... I had all the old Emery seed paper catalogs till my house burned a few years back ... but when I looked into it a bunch of years back that's what I came up with... he recieved skunk seeds and nlxhaze seeds from sensi through Emery as well as the afghanis he had .. but honestly he didn't have that much stuff going at the time...

Grew the sweet skunk and seedsman haze for years and they are almost identical in growth and flower time...

vanilla dutch

Skunk rks sweet skunk all skunk just different versions.im sure Sam knows his strain like the back of his hand. Forgot the question will edit in a minute.thank you I knew it was breeder Steve who put the sweet in skunk. Chimeras ss crosses are more than likely very good also. I'm just not sure what one it was I had. imagine rks but sweet.thats sweet skunk. Or if you wanted skunk bad enough buy Sam the skunkman seeds or something with his skunk in it he did an amazing job breeding it

Last edited:

Dankwolf

Ok got to chime in . from what i was told by old head that had the true rks is the rks most remember from 1990- 2007 was a accedent of sorts . they had a nl x haze x skunk from ? ( guessing mr nice ) that they were running to compete with big bud and others and they had a kush/ afghan ( not there words ) that a group purchesed over sees . this kush was for personal due to its lack of performance in sog style grows . supposedly. The haze / nl/ skunk production strian got mites / bugs so they treaded it with the old ( number 7 in a red bottel insecticide and the haze/nl/ skunk hermed and pollantaded the personal kush plants . and out of it came the lime green red hair skunk .

I personaly have seen and somkoked the cut it was real . and for thoese that think it was trinty . i hate to burst your bubbel but i was growing trinty and these guys had never seen trinty at that the lime greem skunk did not have the singel finger and 3 finger triats that trinty had . trinty was good smoke though .

Back on topic . so the haze / skunk/ nl story sounds probable exept for the fact the main prodution came from a guy ( lets call him mr van ) that called it skunk 9 .

So is it skunk 9 or did the haze skunk nl herm on the bought kush genetics during the late 80s . i am not sure . here is what i can tell you . it produced 8 gram singel colas off clones that had just rooted . it resembeled tangie in ways . oil content was off the charts ( greesy between fingers ) yet you could stick it to a wall and come back a month later and it would atoll be there . ypu could have used it to hang pictures . it was lime green . it had fire engin red hairs that group up together . it was difficult to grow bug wise and lighting wise . it would drop its leafs before it was done / ready to harvest . to echove harvest it required a 720 nm custom light for last 10-15 days .
Resin glands protruded through leafs. Galnds had no fuzz like sour d /la con and many others . she had solid buds yet fluffy . the smell was smooth skunk cabge that could penatriat any bag or jar . the smome was super thick amd would sink when blowen out of lungs lingering for 20-30 min . taste when smoked was skunk cabge and super hashy and would coat the moth in a thick layer of smooth creamy perfection . it would expand in the lungs with in seconds ( 4-6 times what it felt like you inheld ) yet was not even slightly harsh ( just a crazy tingle in lungs only ) . the hogh lasted for 3-4 hours and induced eye cordanation issues and extreme paranoia/delirium . it had mo celling to the high the more you smoke the higher you got . few even seasond weed distributers could not hamg past an 1/8 .

I will try to add some more info later . :tiphat:

tokinblackguy

To answer original posters thread topic and in my most humble opinion of course,

ain't a damn thing wrong with a good skunk, if you can find some good skunk.

For me, Sam's SK#1 freebie from years back was all that and a bag of chips...with the dip

Not as "strong" as today's strains, THC-wise, but then again I'm one of the small few that are not convinced that high(est) THC = better

Skunk is still a top 5 all around smoke for me and I've smoked a lot of bud in my day.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
The problem with skunk is the same with most strains. It isn't the strain. It's the growers. Most growers do not take the time to get to know a plant and reach it's potential, or have issues with environment etc.

Skunk is excellent cannabis, grown properly it will compete with anything.

Now finding the pheno and dialing it in is the work and few actually do the work.

Skunk 1

picture.php
picture.php