What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

St. Phatty

The crap we smoked in high school was fun but none of it qualified as favorite.

I think the first favorite pot I had was a NL x Haze from the Seed Bank, which was one of my first successful flowerings, maybe around 1992.

It was very good, and seemed very Skunky - skunk smell etc. Some of the first really good pot I ever had, maybe flowered under a 400 watt HPS.

Other than that, it would have been herb I bought from a friend. Basically, Mendo hashplant, early 90's. Indica-ish, very resiny. Got 6 seeds to sprout and grew them all together in a 5 gallon bucket with water in it ... while I was out of town for 3 weeks - under a 175 metal halide.

Came home and there were 6 beautiful little hashplants. I didn't know how to flower them but their mother sure was a good smoke.

bigAl25

Veteran
Early 80s, late 70s in the Midwest the best that came around was Thai stick, had it once and bought a full oz. It slayed inexperienced smokers. The Colombian, did get gold once, but loved the Colombian, that was great seeded weed and reasonably priced. Then that one year O'Dad grew some sinse that was just as good as the Thai stick. RIP O'Dad you were our Christmas present, but this one crop was other worldly.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My favorite

My favorite

My favorite cannabis from 75 when i started to 85 when I saw the last of it (in the USA), was Colombian. Through that decade I smoked 75% Mexican commercial bricked, 23% Colombians and 2% exotic (this doesn't include hash). Some of the Mexicans were the good classics like Acapulco gold, Highland Oaxcan Gold, Michamacon and countless others but most was crap by any standard. The Colombians although not as extreme as the Mexicans went from the best ever seedles to headache inducing seedy brown mersh. And the exotics, Hawaiian and Thai Sticks I tried a few times but rarely was I able to own any. But one particular Colombian acquired the fall of 79 sticks out now and forever as I found it to be unique among the best of that decade. It was a Punto Rojo like no other I'd ever had before or since. We got a last minute deal on a pound that came to DFW via California along with the first American grown sinsemilla. It was the last of the really good Punto Rojos and was lightly compressed and seeded but very lightly. The seeds were full and ripe and the Jalapeno shaped buds were blueish green with dark red hairs running through it. Not much smell but when burnt a distinct sweet leather smell filled the room like the finest incense. But it was the effect I recall the most, being potent yet calmingly exciting. It had no ceiling and a so kind clean finish. We were going to sell the LB but ended up keeping it for head stash. I think that Punto Rojo and that fall of 79 was my favorite of that entire decade.

red rider

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Southern Germany was mostly mediocre to bad quality hash from Turkey in the 90s, at least the parts i frequented. Sometimes you could get Afghan Hash, but rarely and hella expensive. So getting a 10g bag of proper Bubblegum in Zuerich/Switzerland was an eye opener for me. Mhhh what a nice high and the taste and smell were out of this word

(for someone who would normally smoke low quality hash mixed with tobacco from a plastic bong. Brrrr that thought of that combo alone makes me shiver today... But we were young and free and it got us high :))

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Well I'm just a young'n so sadly I missed out on all of these legendary Thai sticks or Columbian strains you guys had back in your time. Really makes me wonder how many people will think the bud from today was the bomb 30 years from now.

Anyway, a decade ago the best varieties were all locally grown. The best strains were Blueberry, Northern lights, and a favorite of many though not mine, Lemon G. There were also many good variations and crosses of these strains going around too.

The absolute best I ever had was this cut that was circulating for a few months called True Blue. Absolutely amazing high that was on another level compared to what I had before or since. It looked and smelled similar to many of the blueberry crosses I had seen which along with the name, made me think it may have been a cut of DJ Short's True blueberry.

One day I'll have to try some of DJ's gear just to find out.

All we had was schwag (aka "Home Grown"), mids, KB (Kind Bud) & Hydro when I was a noob. This was in the very early '00s in Middle America. Mexican brickweed was the norm & you could get a quarter of it for $25. Horrible shit that was full of seeds, compressed & brown as dog turds. Dealers would sell that & then buy the good stuff for themselves...

Only came across truly great bud once in a blue moon back then. Not sure what was up with the hydro, but it felt like a substance other than weed...it induced serious lung pain/coughing & got you higher than anything! And it looked funny too. Very weird stuff.

Easy7

Veteran
Gonna get laughed at but some sexy well flushed beaster northern lights. Quality commercial through and through. Crystal covered, dense, nice mellow flavour of hash and laundry. Nice up high mellowing and lasting.

Also some local grown Hawaiian. Nice sativa flowers, good resin, uplifting buzz.

St. Phatty

The goldest of gold Colombian I ever saw was one load that we nicknamed "cornflakes" because of the color and it smelled like licorice, was soooooo nice. Circa 79

I'm smoking some Licorice "Marble" cannabis (Sat-dom) now.

Love that Licorice !

Seems to happen in both Indica's & Sativa's.

EastFortRock

Back in the day in my very limited experience, Colombian and Thai was the best. The hash we got was body buzz and not impressive and when seedless hit my scene about 1980 , it was mellow and not very impressive although the buds looked impressive .

'Kona Gold' circa 2006. Buds actually had an amber/gold look to them. The smell was like fresh carrot tops/earthy/ citrus. Not the most potent weed, but it had an incredibly high ceiling. Colors and sounds were very pleasing and vibrant on this gear. The best daytime weed I've ever had.

I knew the grower, so I was able to see the plants a couple of times. The Kona Gold had the most rubbery feeling leaves of any cannabis plant I've ever encountered. Felt almost like a succulent plant.

I started smoking in 91, I was 15 in Oregon. We had 'BC' or beasters, which was $25-35 / 3.5g, 'good green bud' that was $40-60, depending if you had a good dealer or copped on campus. 'BC' was cash crop garbage from Canada, it looked decent, checked most of the 'visual boxes' (except frost), but had no smell and a bland restless weak high. 'good green bud' around here, in my circle at least, I believe was usually Trinity (damn I wish I had that cut from then), Northern Lights, lot of Matanuska, lot of DJ Short's stuff, esp. 'The Kind' (Blueberry before he called it Blueberry). I did make a few teenage roadtrips with buddies to Mex to see what they had, got lucky enough to find an amazing Thai stick (the kind that looks like hash and is literally twisted around a wooden skewer) and some decent seeds out of Mexi brick weed. Those brick weed Mexican seeds were vigorous as fuck. I was growing them hidden in large Fender speaker cabinets with incandescent 100w bulbs in 92 lol, lucky I didnt burn the fucking house down. My dad always got em somehow before they finished though lol. But to answer the question, Ive smoked a lot of nice cannabis, the one I always remember from the early 90s the most fondly is whatever Trinity was making it onto the market in 91-93.

We had a lot of good Southern Oregon/Nor-Cal outdoor in Oregon in the 90s. Bet a lot of us here from around thise times will have similar responses lol. Don't feel like saying where I'm from in Oregon, but it's got a rep as a 'weed town' (probably ever moderately sized college town thinks it's a 'weed town' maybe lol). I don't know.

Forgot to add DJ Short lived in my town then, before he was well known. He states himself in several interviews he was freely and pretty widely disseminating clones in those days, I think I got a lot of one off stuff of his over the years, certain ones were more popular than others, but I was just a kid, only knew two dudes that ran in his circles and they intimidated me back then bc it was the 'criminal underworld' and I was inexperienced still lol.

Does DJ ever pop in here? Love to wrack that dudes brains about 90's Oregon varieties. Wonder what genetic stock from then he and other people still may be holding; not much from a few cursory investigations, or people are just too scarred from the 'War on Drugs' to speak freely about it, I know I struggle with that after paying the price for it in the past. I do occasionaly hear about Trinity 'clone only', but I dont have the time to research it yet, way too many pies atm. Hobestly I'm not sure I could differentiate a close imposter from the bud I smoked almost 30 years ago lol, never got to grow her out.

Ok, sorry for the life story, guess I've still got a little nostalgia left unburdened by the cynicism of post post-modernism lol. Happy to have found this thread, although perhaps unsettled to discover that at mid-40s I can answer questions directed at old people by young people haha. Gettin old is alright, all in all.

Latest posts

Latest posts