What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

soundman

I miss the road kill skunk and thai bud from the early to mid eighties.

The real deal red leb and black afgan hash too.

Ignor_Amus

Wow. This thread really took me back for a trip down memory lane. Thanks Guys!

Southern Cal scene:
Early to mid 70's the baseline was 3,4, or 5 finger lids. $10-$12, or $15 for "the good stuff" All nasty by today's standards. Brown compressed Mexican commercial stuff filled with seeds and stems. Probably some grasshoppers too. Tasted like the field workers pee'd on it and maybe wiped their ass with it too? The "good old days" indeed! :moon:

Oaxacan weed showed up, which was better. Much better.

Columbian, both regular brown, and sometimes gold or red started to show up later, retailing for maybe $20-$30 per ounce. Pretty good stuff. But then....

But then, one day a friend shows up with a small bag of fluffy green leafy buds. Something called Sensimilla Seedless. Grown right here in California. OMFG. What a revelation. What a flavor. What a high! And no seeds? WTF? It was like it came from a different planet. And it was out of this world expensive too. IIRC it was $40-$50 per ounce. But worth every penny.

Then the Thai sticks came. Whoa! First the little sticks, then the big ones. Didn't matter the size, it was simply outstanding. Knock you on your ass, and you wouldn't get up. Couldn't get up.

And hash? Yeah, blonde Lebanese, red Leb, some greenish yellow powdery stuff from who knows where, but then came the black Nepalese finger hash. Another OMFG! The flavor was out of this world - nothing like it before, and nothing like it since. Rumors of teenage Nepalese girls running naked through the fields collecting the gooey trichomes on their skin and rubbing it off into those dense little logs of hash. Sounds like bullshit, but it was good marketing at the time. But the truth is the product spoke for itself - no "marketing" needed. Oh, and sometimes there was opiated black hash available. Another "wow". A very different wow.

Early black hash oils were pretty awesome too. Tasty, and it would practically make your lungs explode like a bad sci-fi movie. The golden hash oils that came later were a bit more refined, both literally and figuratively.

Then came Paraquat contaminated crap. Enough said about that. But those anti-weed efforts during the early 80's were paying off, and there was a drought so bad that even the most well-connected people COULD NOT get ANYTHING! That's when I first started growing, using an early hydrofarms setup using a bunch of rubbermaid busing trays and a "sun circle" with 3 parabolic reflectors.

I got seeds through the mail from a place simply called "The Seed Bank". IIRC it was in the Netherlands? I was scared shitless about getting them mailed to me, but I did get them. A few different varieties. I remember some of them: "Pure Afghani" was one, and some Northern Lights. There were some others, including a sativa, and another one from some god-awful northern latitude that was supposed to start budding on it's own no matter what the light cycle was. But I don't remember the names.

I also cross-bred a lot of those and some came up with some amazing results, even though I didn't know what the fuck I was doing. I just kept logs of growth characteristics, yields, and quality. All those genetics were lost though, because I stopped growing around 1992 or so.

So that's my little trip down memory lane. And now I'm back. I haven't been involved in this "hobby" for a long, looooong time, except I engineered a 20-light grow for a friend about 10 years ago. Did such a good job that a canine cop could have come up to the place, sniff around, and the only thing it would do is maybe pee on the building and then walk away. Stealth. Total Stealth.

It's a different world now I guess. Still can't wrap my head around it being legal or quasi-legal. I went to a hydro store to look at stuff for the first time in over a decade, and I still parked 3 blocks away. Old habits and paranoia die hard I guess.

Thanks for letting me ramble....

Ignor_Amus

Jeez - I forgot to mention the first Skunk weeds. At first, some people hated it because it was almost impossible to hide it. Funny.

And I also had a line on true Hawaiian top-grade sativa in the late 70s to early 80's even though I was on the mainland. A friend of one of my older friends was an airline pilot. He brought a pound at a time, inside his pilot's bags. Seriously. No bull. Can you imagine that in today's environment? So maybe those WERE the good old days!

My favorites from back in the day were thai sticks and panama red. The first time I seen the thai sticks I did'nt even know how to smoke them lol. You know they had that string around it on those pop sickle sticks. Those 2 and some Tampa nugget blunts.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow. This thread really took me back for a trip down memory lane. Thanks Guys!

Southern Cal scene:

Oaxacan weed showed up, which was better. Much better.

and there was a drought so bad that even the most well-connected people COULD NOT get ANYTHING!

I was around mid seventies on. So was the Oaxacan as good as Colombian, not so much in strength but quality of stone? I never got the Oaxacan and am trying to make up for lost time.:dance013: The Colombian was good and the sensimilla or redhair was good but not better than good Colombian imo.

That drought you mentioned must have been in 86. I could get pot then and had some but yeah, choices were limited. I remember Reagan was happy about the shortage and credited himself and his stupid 'war on drugs'.

I should say I did get Oaxacan in 86 but it was not the real trippy stuff, just good quality up high. The real deal was back in the 70's from what I hear. Also got real Hawaiian back in 86, trippy but too hyper for me to keep it. How I scored hard to get strains during one of the worst droughts is I knew someone that was connected to several dealers. Meth too but I wisely passed that by.

Ignor_Amus

Yesum, IIRC, the Oaxacan was just cleaner overall, with a very up buzz to it. Really quite nice, as it allowed you to keep your day going, but just put a little zing into it. Sort of the opposite of couch-lock weed. Tasted a lot better than the lower end Colombo's too. Spicy & a bit fruity.

Again, IIRC the big drought was '85-86. I exaggerated by saying there was nothing available. There was some stuff, but most of it was so bad that it was almost not worth smoking. That's what initially sent me into growing my own.

Before I started growing, the only reason I got anything decent during that Reagan drought was due to knowing some people with some Colombian connections. I don't know why they were still bringing in weed at the same time they were bringing in more profitable "products", but I'm glad they did! It was the mid-80's, if you know what I mean. :party:

That was also the timeframe when the airline pilot was bringing in elbows from Hawaii. Still cracks me up to this day, the idea of a plane full of passengers having no idea what's in the pilot's "maps" bags. And no, he didn't toke up before flying. At least that's what I was told.

I'm completely out of touch with today's breeds and varieties. I just wish that I still had some of the genetics from those early "Seed Bank" seeds. But then again, I guess that all these years of breeding has produced some remarkable stuff. But even if I had a road map of what's what, how much can someone trust that your legitimately getting whatever strain your wanting? How much marketing hype is there versus real and tangible differences? Are there any sources of truly legitimate "heirloom" varieties?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the heirloom strains I think there are legit sources. I got some good Oaxacan and Jalisco seeds from E$kobar, you can look him up. These were collected a few years back so not really heirlooms. Bodhi has what appears to be legit Acapulco Gold, which I am finishing right now. Looks just like old time weed ( loose leafy buds with thin leaves) and turns gold really easy.

ACE and Cannabiogen carry a lot of heirlooms. Punto rojo and Mangobiche, 2 Colombians as well as Central American and some Mexican crosses and others too numerous to mention. Underground Seed Company carries Colombian Gold 1972 and other heirlooms. Real Seed Company has some good ones.

Go over to the Landrace section here and take a look there. 'Marijuana strains and breeding' has a landrace section. Yea, I think most of these are legit old strains.

Jarilla from Cannabiogen was a prize. Old Mexican strain, took me back to the good old days. Trippy enough, fun, no paranoia and clean come down.

Chimera has a Highland Mexican 1972 x Blueberry that I just ran. Have not smoked yet but know the origins are real. Smells out of this world, hehe Trimmed and jarred it last night.

Use a white light if possible with these old sativas, not a yellow hps or colored LED. My opinion.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Skunkman by way of Chimera(look in his section) has old time skunk seeds and other old lines. These go back to the 70's I think. I remember that Seed Bank ad in High Times and almost got some back then but never did. Thought the DEA would be arresting me or something.

There are more breeders with good heirlooms, but some are not good, you will find the better ones by reading here.

D3pthCharg3

Awesome thread...everyone's contributions rock! Thanks from a nineties teen, boy do I remember the first time getting "Kind" bud...

Cvh

Supermod
When I started toking at the end of the 90's in West-EU.there was only one strain that was worth it.
White Widow!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
White Widow hit the USA midwest in the 90's too. Could be an all-time favorite of mine too!

When I started toking at the end of the 90's in West-EU.there was only one strain that was worth it.
White Widow!

I also remember well White Widow in the midst/end 90's. This was not like what is sold as White Widow today. At that time there were many very good weed strains in Amsterdam. White Widow was one of them. I also remember the Northern Light, Jack Herer and some more, which were very strong. It was easy to find excellent weed in Amsterdam at that time. Not like today. It was very easy to find this kind of weed, when you can't say anymore if this weed is more stoned or high, it just knocked you down.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
The weed I smoked in Jamaica on my first trip there in '72 was some amazing, mind soaring sativas!

Venturing way up in the hills where I was advised not to go, I stayed with some rastas who took me in like a little brother.
They shared gawdawful amounts of weed with me and then wanted to show me all around the hill country.
It was all walking and serious hiking, a few of them had never even ridden in a car..

By my third trip to Jah in 1981, the weed was all different.
The great sativas could still be found, but most of the Jamaican ganja had been contaminated by all the Indica seeds that tourists from Europe had brought down there and given them...

Cvh

Supermod
I also remember well White Widow in the midst/end 90's. This was not like what is sold as White Widow today. At that time there were many very good weed strains in Amsterdam. White Widow was one of them. I also remember the Northern Light, Jack Herer and some more, which were very strong. It was easy to find excellent weed in Amsterdam at that time. Not like today. It was very easy to find this kind of weed, when you can't say anymore if this weed is more stoned or high, it just knocked you down.

I really miss those days. Back then both Amsterdam and the weed was amazing

I still prefer growing the strains from back then.

OldCoolSativa

I started smoking in 1973 in South Jersey, near Philadelphia. Never saw any Thai Stick or Hawaiian but had certainly heard of it. Best weed I ever smoked had an unknown pedigree, and was rumored to be laced with mushrooms. I'm sure it wasn't laced (mushrooms are a lot rarer and more expensive than weed, so economics dictate that we'd want normally laced) and was just a really good imported sativa. I don't remember the color, the smell or the taste but I clearly remember the effect. My friend and I smoked a bowl of this stuff in a park and I laid down on one of the merry go round things and my friend started pushing out as I looked up at the sky. The puffy little cumulus clouds started to morph into recognizable shapes. Mickey Mouse started waving at me with a big smile. Then he morphed into Richard Nixon. Then the three stooges. I straight up hallucinated on that weed. It was the best I ever smoked.

Drewsif

Wish I was a bit older, all the legendary strain names were cliche by the time I started smoking, so the cool names were just attached to whatever. "Columbian Gold? Ok if you say so.."

This one kid would consistently get what we called "Jamaican Redhair", I have no clue what it really was but you could smoke enough Friday afternoon to still be high Monday morning. The stuff was so resiny, you couldn't see who you were passing a joint to. If you opened a window the fire department would start getting calls. Hotboxing a car was just like in the movies. You would think somone was throwing globs of Pinon on charcoal, compared to today's cloudless stuff. Makes me wonder..

Its funny how many people don't miss the old pot. They must have been buying hemp, trim, and reject bud. In Mexico, if you try to haggle, you end up with the brown weed that was packaged wet. It always happen that way. If you asked for mid price, you got half the good stuff, and half reject bud.I learned quick just to ask for the best and pay the price. There is no lowering price, because its already fair to the farmers. Americans never understood that, youre only going to get a lower quality product if you start haggling,the stuff that would be tossed out if no gullible haggling Americans bought it thinking they were going to make bank when they got home.

The last time I bought weed from Mexico was 2011, out of a loaded camper on a VW Rabbit pickup. Would sell for 35/qtr any time "nug" wasn't around. I have a feeling it was American genetics. Didn't look like the Gold at all. But the high was great being grown traditionally, lightly pollinated under the Mexican sun.
FZHYqDU.jpg

I would rather buy this today for 35/qtr than what most people are buying from dispensaries for 85/qtr. Just don't have any acquaintances in Mexico anymore or Id bring reggie back in style ;) People are getting over bag appeal I think.

St. Phatty

White Widow hit the USA midwest in the 90's too. Could be an all-time favorite of mine too!

Had a chance to grow and smoke Brothers Grimm White Widow around 2001.

AWESOME !

Great medical weed for pain.

Fed. Romulan was also fantastic. Way better than today's Next Gen Romulan.

I like the seeds we have, but I don't think the plants I'm growing this year are any better than what I might have smoked 10 years ago.

One of the best this year is an Apollo 11 F3 female. It is a particular phenotype that I like - sensitive to nutes, does not like Foxfarm Ocean Forest when it's a baby.

It will be awesome. Comparable to Fed. Romulan, heavier yielding than White Widow.

superx

Veteran
No particular order "if memory serves me correctly"

Soap bar, northern lights / white widow the former would not be a favourite, but was a new beginning. (bright light at the end of the tunnel) many moons ago...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Back in the day for me was late 60's to late 70's.

Thai Slick, Sumatran, Jamaican Ganja - Super adrenaline rush followed by trippy bliss. Sunglasses required, due to sensory overload. The rocket ride blast off scared most people off of it. Some quit smoking forever after sampling that.

Putting Thai Stick on the pedestal of best ever is not due to nostalgia or tenderness of young mind. I grew a Neville's Haze plant that had the same effect. It was also a bit mushroomy in effect and hit you with a distinct phase shift of consciousness like it had some old school Mexican (laughing weed) in the genetics also. It brought back memories of those Thai Sticks. That killer Neville's Haze was the only good one of 30 Haze seeds I tested. That was 15 years ago. California was growing weed nearly that good back in the late 70's and early 80's until the indica came in and ruined it. It made it easy to grow, but the trippiness was lost. Such a shame.

ThaiBliss